Hundreds object to World Tourist Attractions' big wheel plans for St George’s Field car park in York

York Press: Hundreds object to proposed location of new big wheel in York Hundreds object to proposed location of new big wheel in York

YORK’S big wheel may have turned for the last time, after police, environmental officials and hundreds of residents objected to the latest proposal.

North Yorkshire Police said a big wheel in St George’s Field car park would distract motorists, leading to accidents on the inner ring road.

The force is among more than 225 objectors to a planning application by World Tourist Attractions (WTA), which wants to put a 60-metre structure in the car park for three months.

It follows the removal of a similar one at the National Railway Museum (NRM) last November, and the rejection of a planned replacement in North Street Gardens, beside the Park Inn Hotel.

By yesterday, City of York Council had received objections from 226 residents, including block objections from the companies that manage the flats at Postern Close and Clementhorpe.

Yorkshire and Humberside MEP Godfrey Bloom has also objected, saying he has been contacted by anxious constituents, while Steve Burrell, of the police traffic management department at Fulford Road in York, said the wheel would be a traffic hazard.

Police voiced similar concerns at the previous sites, but said it would be a particular problem at St George’s Field.

“The wheel will distract drivers using a busy section of road with stop-start traffic,” said a spokesman. “This distraction would create a traffic danger with rear-end shunts being a very real possibility.”

He said this was not an issue when the wheel was at the NRM, as traffic was more free-flowing.

City of York Council’s own environment, conservation and flooding experts have also called for the idea to be shelved. The riverside car park is on a flood plain, and has been under water on 98 days in the past decade.

Mike Taverner, the council’s structure and drainage project manager, said any development in that area should be water-related, such as boatyards.

He said: “I cannot support this application, as it contravenes the council’s policy document.”

Environment and conservation officials said the wheel should be moved to protect a nearby hedge.

Among the residents who objected were Hilary and Gordon Jones. In a written objection, they wrote: “The huge scale of this wheel is totally inappropriate to this central and historic area. The huge and unsightly structure would destroy the privacy of residents and the River Ouse would become a second Blackpool.”

Some said funfairs in the car park caused distress and said the wheel would cause similar problems.

Another local resident, Ian Wolstencroft, said: “How can the council as a whole be serious about the possibility of York becoming a World Heritage Site and yet even consider the siting of such an inappropriate development within the city?”

York Civic Trust said it was happy for the wheel to go in the car park for three months, but said the car park had the status of a village green, meaning permanent structures were not allowed.

WTA declined to comment on the objections when contacted by The Press yesterday.

Comments (51)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:04am Fri 10 Jul 09

Expat says...

Put it back at the NRM.
Put it back at the NRM. Expat
  • Score: 0

11:14am Fri 10 Jul 09

Soothsayer17 says...

Take it somewhere that would befit something so tacky.

wish-fish
Take it somewhere that would befit something so tacky. wish-fish Soothsayer17
  • Score: 0

11:18am Fri 10 Jul 09

oldgoat says...

Soothsayer17 wrote:
Take it somewhere that would befit something so tacky.

wish-fish
But where? Anywhere tacky enough would have nothing to look at from it.

Blackpool springs to mind, but who wants to go round in circles staring at the tower?
[quote][p][bold]Soothsayer17[/bold] wrote: Take it somewhere that would befit something so tacky. wish-fish[/p][/quote]But where? Anywhere tacky enough would have nothing to look at from it. Blackpool springs to mind, but who wants to go round in circles staring at the tower? oldgoat
  • Score: 0

11:19am Fri 10 Jul 09

razor08 says...

Shame YP could not do a better job with the picture editing software it makes the wheel loohas if it is about to fall!
Shame YP could not do a better job with the picture editing software it makes the wheel loohas if it is about to fall! razor08
  • Score: 0

11:24am Fri 10 Jul 09

alimount says...

Move on WTA. It's clear the people of York don't want it, stick two fingers up and take the custom elsewhere.
York residents will moan about anything that is modern, yet forget how vital the tourist industry is to their livelihoods.
Why not put it in the field near the court, cliffords tower and York museum? No one could complain then. (probably)
Move on WTA. It's clear the people of York don't want it, stick two fingers up and take the custom elsewhere. York residents will moan about anything that is modern, yet forget how vital the tourist industry is to their livelihoods. Why not put it in the field near the court, cliffords tower and York museum? No one could complain then. (probably) alimount
  • Score: 0

11:25am Fri 10 Jul 09

Mullarkian says...

Stick it on top of the Minster, the view would be fantastic
Stick it on top of the Minster, the view would be fantastic Mullarkian
  • Score: 0

11:41am Fri 10 Jul 09

AdmiralNN says...

Why cant they just put it back at the NRM?
Why cant they just put it back at the NRM? AdmiralNN
  • Score: 0

11:52am Fri 10 Jul 09

LittleTed says...

alimount wrote:
Move on WTA. It's clear the people of York don't want it, stick two fingers up and take the custom elsewhere.
York residents will moan about anything that is modern, yet forget how vital the tourist industry is to their livelihoods.
Why not put it in the field near the court, cliffords tower and York museum? No one could complain then. (probably)
Oh yeah, that would look great next to a 13th century ancient monument wouldn't it? And Clifford's Tower would make a fortune from visitors going up the tower to take in the views. NOT!

Really thought that one through didn't you?

Keep your useless comments in Chester and leave York to the people of York!
[quote][p][bold]alimount[/bold] wrote: Move on WTA. It's clear the people of York don't want it, stick two fingers up and take the custom elsewhere. York residents will moan about anything that is modern, yet forget how vital the tourist industry is to their livelihoods. Why not put it in the field near the court, cliffords tower and York museum? No one could complain then. (probably)[/p][/quote]Oh yeah, that would look great next to a 13th century ancient monument wouldn't it? And Clifford's Tower would make a fortune from visitors going up the tower to take in the views. NOT! Really thought that one through didn't you? Keep your useless comments in Chester and leave York to the people of York! LittleTed
  • Score: 0

12:01pm Fri 10 Jul 09

topumpire1 says...

No One objected to the wheel at the NRM, the police, enviromental officers, no one, BUT all appear to feel that the St Georges field site is unsuitable. SO
PUT it back at NRM!!
If the company (WTA) wants a wheel in York (& they seem to) then make them put it where WE & everyone wants it! The NRM IS and WAS the best site. FULL STOP!!
Always was, always will be, so WHY is the council even letting them look elsewhere? If WTA have a committement to York, then MAKE them go back to the NRM, HOWEVER much it will cost them to get in inagain, it should never have left!!
No One objected to the wheel at the NRM, the police, enviromental officers, no one, BUT all appear to feel that the St Georges field site is unsuitable. SO PUT it back at NRM!! If the company (WTA) wants a wheel in York (& they seem to) then make them put it where WE & everyone wants it! The NRM IS and WAS the best site. FULL STOP!! Always was, always will be, so WHY is the council even letting them look elsewhere? If WTA have a committement to York, then MAKE them go back to the NRM, HOWEVER much it will cost them to get in inagain, it should never have left!! topumpire1
  • Score: 0

12:04pm Fri 10 Jul 09

Soothsayer17 says...

oldgoat wrote:
Soothsayer17 wrote: Take it somewhere that would befit something so tacky. wish-fish
But where? Anywhere tacky enough would have nothing to look at from it. Blackpool springs to mind, but who wants to go round in circles staring at the tower?
I suppose you could go up the tower and look at the wheel...?

I happen to think Blackpool would be perfect for it funnily enough - the wheel just "isn't York" which may sound snobby but we are one of the most amazing medieval centres in the world and shouldn't be afraid to look beyond an attraction simply bringing in a few extra visitors.
[quote][p][bold]oldgoat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Soothsayer17[/bold] wrote: Take it somewhere that would befit something so tacky. wish-fish[/p][/quote]But where? Anywhere tacky enough would have nothing to look at from it. Blackpool springs to mind, but who wants to go round in circles staring at the tower?[/p][/quote]I suppose you could go up the tower and look at the wheel...? I happen to think Blackpool would be perfect for it funnily enough - the wheel just "isn't York" which may sound snobby but we are one of the most amazing medieval centres in the world and shouldn't be afraid to look beyond an attraction simply bringing in a few extra visitors. Soothsayer17
  • Score: 0

12:28pm Fri 10 Jul 09

tonezzzznoddedoff says...

The London Eye hasent done Lonon any harm has it?
The London Eye hasent done Lonon any harm has it? tonezzzznoddedoff
  • Score: 0

12:37pm Fri 10 Jul 09

alimount says...

LittleTed wrote:
alimount wrote:
Move on WTA. It's clear the people of York don't want it, stick two fingers up and take the custom elsewhere.
York residents will moan about anything that is modern, yet forget how vital the tourist industry is to their livelihoods.
Why not put it in the field near the court, cliffords tower and York museum? No one could complain then. (probably)
Oh yeah, that would look great next to a 13th century ancient monument wouldn't it? And Clifford's Tower would make a fortune from visitors going up the tower to take in the views. NOT!

Really thought that one through didn't you?

Keep your useless comments in Chester and leave York to the people of York!
Haha yeah suppose the judge in court 1 wouldn't be too happy about people peering in through the glass roof.
Alright, how about Parliament street? Would be a great view and could only do the businesses and market stalls along there good. Not so good for the fair and foreign markets tho. Can't be too many residents in that area as well.
[quote][p][bold]LittleTed[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]alimount[/bold] wrote: Move on WTA. It's clear the people of York don't want it, stick two fingers up and take the custom elsewhere. York residents will moan about anything that is modern, yet forget how vital the tourist industry is to their livelihoods. Why not put it in the field near the court, cliffords tower and York museum? No one could complain then. (probably)[/p][/quote]Oh yeah, that would look great next to a 13th century ancient monument wouldn't it? And Clifford's Tower would make a fortune from visitors going up the tower to take in the views. NOT! Really thought that one through didn't you? Keep your useless comments in Chester and leave York to the people of York! [/p][/quote]Haha yeah suppose the judge in court 1 wouldn't be too happy about people peering in through the glass roof. Alright, how about Parliament street? Would be a great view and could only do the businesses and market stalls along there good. Not so good for the fair and foreign markets tho. Can't be too many residents in that area as well. alimount
  • Score: 0

12:42pm Fri 10 Jul 09

LittleTed says...

alimount wrote:
LittleTed wrote:
alimount wrote:
Move on WTA. It's clear the people of York don't want it, stick two fingers up and take the custom elsewhere.
York residents will moan about anything that is modern, yet forget how vital the tourist industry is to their livelihoods.
Why not put it in the field near the court, cliffords tower and York museum? No one could complain then. (probably)
Oh yeah, that would look great next to a 13th century ancient monument wouldn't it? And Clifford's Tower would make a fortune from visitors going up the tower to take in the views. NOT!

Really thought that one through didn't you?

Keep your useless comments in Chester and leave York to the people of York!
Haha yeah suppose the judge in court 1 wouldn't be too happy about people peering in through the glass roof.
Alright, how about Parliament street? Would be a great view and could only do the businesses and market stalls along there good. Not so good for the fair and foreign markets tho. Can't be too many residents in that area as well.
I'm glad you see my point. To be honest I agree with a lot of people on here (makes a change) that it should return to the NRM, or just go away. We don't need it.
[quote][p][bold]alimount[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LittleTed[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]alimount[/bold] wrote: Move on WTA. It's clear the people of York don't want it, stick two fingers up and take the custom elsewhere. York residents will moan about anything that is modern, yet forget how vital the tourist industry is to their livelihoods. Why not put it in the field near the court, cliffords tower and York museum? No one could complain then. (probably)[/p][/quote]Oh yeah, that would look great next to a 13th century ancient monument wouldn't it? And Clifford's Tower would make a fortune from visitors going up the tower to take in the views. NOT! Really thought that one through didn't you? Keep your useless comments in Chester and leave York to the people of York! [/p][/quote]Haha yeah suppose the judge in court 1 wouldn't be too happy about people peering in through the glass roof. Alright, how about Parliament street? Would be a great view and could only do the businesses and market stalls along there good. Not so good for the fair and foreign markets tho. Can't be too many residents in that area as well.[/p][/quote]I'm glad you see my point. To be honest I agree with a lot of people on here (makes a change) that it should return to the NRM, or just go away. We don't need it. LittleTed
  • Score: 0

12:44pm Fri 10 Jul 09

invisibleman says...

tonezzzznoddedoff wrote:
The London Eye hasent done Lonon any harm has it?
Not at all, in fact it offers great views. But the London eye is by the Thames and not in the centre of Hyde Park, Buckingham Palace gardens or on Oxford street.In this economic climate we should be attracting as many tourists as possible, but if things are not done right or we have the wrong style of attractions in a medievel city it will turn the tourists away.
[quote][p][bold]tonezzzznoddedoff[/bold] wrote: The London Eye hasent done Lonon any harm has it?[/p][/quote]Not at all, in fact it offers great views. But the London eye is by the Thames and not in the centre of Hyde Park, Buckingham Palace gardens or on Oxford street.In this economic climate we should be attracting as many tourists as possible, but if things are not done right or we have the wrong style of attractions in a medievel city it will turn the tourists away. invisibleman
  • Score: 0

12:45pm Fri 10 Jul 09

alimount says...

LittleTed wrote:
alimount wrote:
LittleTed wrote:
alimount wrote:
Move on WTA. It's clear the people of York don't want it, stick two fingers up and take the custom elsewhere.
York residents will moan about anything that is modern, yet forget how vital the tourist industry is to their livelihoods.
Why not put it in the field near the court, cliffords tower and York museum? No one could complain then. (probably)
Oh yeah, that would look great next to a 13th century ancient monument wouldn't it? And Clifford's Tower would make a fortune from visitors going up the tower to take in the views. NOT!

Really thought that one through didn't you?

Keep your useless comments in Chester and leave York to the people of York!
Haha yeah suppose the judge in court 1 wouldn't be too happy about people peering in through the glass roof.
Alright, how about Parliament street? Would be a great view and could only do the businesses and market stalls along there good. Not so good for the fair and foreign markets tho. Can't be too many residents in that area as well.
I'm glad you see my point. To be honest I agree with a lot of people on here (makes a change) that it should return to the NRM, or just go away. We don't need it.
Trees would be an issue too, sure there would be a few groups unhappy about losing them.
Yeah NRM was ideal for everyone.
[quote][p][bold]LittleTed[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]alimount[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LittleTed[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]alimount[/bold] wrote: Move on WTA. It's clear the people of York don't want it, stick two fingers up and take the custom elsewhere. York residents will moan about anything that is modern, yet forget how vital the tourist industry is to their livelihoods. Why not put it in the field near the court, cliffords tower and York museum? No one could complain then. (probably)[/p][/quote]Oh yeah, that would look great next to a 13th century ancient monument wouldn't it? And Clifford's Tower would make a fortune from visitors going up the tower to take in the views. NOT! Really thought that one through didn't you? Keep your useless comments in Chester and leave York to the people of York! [/p][/quote]Haha yeah suppose the judge in court 1 wouldn't be too happy about people peering in through the glass roof. Alright, how about Parliament street? Would be a great view and could only do the businesses and market stalls along there good. Not so good for the fair and foreign markets tho. Can't be too many residents in that area as well.[/p][/quote]I'm glad you see my point. To be honest I agree with a lot of people on here (makes a change) that it should return to the NRM, or just go away. We don't need it.[/p][/quote]Trees would be an issue too, sure there would be a few groups unhappy about losing them. Yeah NRM was ideal for everyone. alimount
  • Score: 0

12:51pm Fri 10 Jul 09

Jassy says...

Is there an empty plot in Hungate?
Is there an empty plot in Hungate? Jassy
  • Score: 0

12:53pm Fri 10 Jul 09

LittleTed says...

Your right.Ideal for everyone except WTA. They saw that York was and is still becoming a major tourist attraction in it's own right. They didn't want to "add" anything to York, they wanted to take something away, MONEY. They thought they could take more money if they were more central in York, that is they only reason they wanted to move the wheel.

WTA, BYE BYE!
Your right.Ideal for everyone except WTA. They saw that York was and is still becoming a major tourist attraction in it's own right. They didn't want to "add" anything to York, they wanted to take something away, MONEY. They thought they could take more money if they were more central in York, that is they only reason they wanted to move the wheel. WTA, BYE BYE! LittleTed
  • Score: 0

1:54pm Fri 10 Jul 09

xmob says...

The reason the wheel can't stay at NRM is for planning red tape. I can't remember the specifics (search the archives), but it's something to do with a structure over a certain height not being allowed to be permanent. Therefore, it had to move. As if often the case, it's bureaucratic red tape that's at the heart of the problem of where to place the wheel.
The reason the wheel can't stay at NRM is for planning red tape. I can't remember the specifics (search the archives), but it's something to do with a structure over a certain height not being allowed to be permanent. Therefore, it had to move. As if often the case, it's bureaucratic red tape that's at the heart of the problem of where to place the wheel. xmob
  • Score: 0

1:54pm Fri 10 Jul 09

BigJon says...

invisibleman wrote:
tonezzzznoddedoff wrote: The London Eye hasent done Lonon any harm has it?
Not at all, in fact it offers great views. But the London eye is by the Thames and not in the centre of Hyde Park, Buckingham Palace gardens or on Oxford street.In this economic climate we should be attracting as many tourists as possible, but if things are not done right or we have the wrong style of attractions in a medievel city it will turn the tourists away.
In actual fact WTA are putting a wheel into Hyde Park if you check their website.

I agree though that if the wheel is to return then it should return to the NRM....or Parliament Street, maybe to replace the 'Splash Palace'
[quote][p][bold]invisibleman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tonezzzznoddedoff[/bold] wrote: The London Eye hasent done Lonon any harm has it?[/p][/quote]Not at all, in fact it offers great views. But the London eye is by the Thames and not in the centre of Hyde Park, Buckingham Palace gardens or on Oxford street.In this economic climate we should be attracting as many tourists as possible, but if things are not done right or we have the wrong style of attractions in a medievel city it will turn the tourists away.[/p][/quote]In actual fact WTA are putting a wheel into Hyde Park if you check their website. I agree though that if the wheel is to return then it should return to the NRM....or Parliament Street, maybe to replace the 'Splash Palace' BigJon
  • Score: 0

2:28pm Fri 10 Jul 09

LizM says...

We don't need a wheel. No tourist would come to York (or stay away) because of a wheel (or lack of).

Tourists have a finite amount of money and time when they visit, so yes, the wheel would attract visitors, but this revenue and visitor numbers would be at the expense of other, more appropriate, attractions
We don't need a wheel. No tourist would come to York (or stay away) because of a wheel (or lack of). Tourists have a finite amount of money and time when they visit, so yes, the wheel would attract visitors, but this revenue and visitor numbers would be at the expense of other, more appropriate, attractions LizM
  • Score: 0

2:28pm Fri 10 Jul 09

Kiff says...

I still think it's new location "wheelie" bad idea.

(I know dreadful pun)

The nice thing about the NRM is that it attracts tourists - they very people who might want to go on the wheel.
I still think it's new location "wheelie" bad idea. (I know dreadful pun) The nice thing about the NRM is that it attracts tourists - they very people who might want to go on the wheel. Kiff
  • Score: 0

2:54pm Fri 10 Jul 09

tonezzzznoddedoff says...

Maybe if the pods on the wheel were made like chariots or viking boats, nah, even cheesier.
Maybe if the pods on the wheel were made like chariots or viking boats, nah, even cheesier. tonezzzznoddedoff
  • Score: 0

3:02pm Fri 10 Jul 09

Ousetunes says...

Gosh, what a bunch of moaners.

Everyone knows that York doesn't need a silly Big Wheel, it needs a rollercoaster and I reckon it should be built in Museum Gardens and stretch over the Minster before returning via the Bar Walls right over to Nunnery Lane before returning via a special tunnel under the Ouse near Lendal Bridge.

Wake up and smell the coffee people. You've still got the Viking Centre if tourists want to see what Olde Yorke looked like.

Oh, and like The Big One in Blackpool, I'd call the York roller-coaster the "Sentamu Sensation".

Brilliant eh?
Gosh, what a bunch of moaners. Everyone knows that York doesn't need a silly Big Wheel, it needs a rollercoaster and I reckon it should be built in Museum Gardens and stretch over the Minster before returning via the Bar Walls right over to Nunnery Lane before returning via a special tunnel under the Ouse near Lendal Bridge. Wake up and smell the coffee people. You've still got the Viking Centre if tourists want to see what Olde Yorke looked like. Oh, and like The Big One in Blackpool, I'd call the York roller-coaster the "Sentamu Sensation". Brilliant eh? Ousetunes
  • Score: 0

3:08pm Fri 10 Jul 09

alimount says...

Ousetunes wrote:
Gosh, what a bunch of moaners.

Everyone knows that York doesn't need a silly Big Wheel, it needs a rollercoaster and I reckon it should be built in Museum Gardens and stretch over the Minster before returning via the Bar Walls right over to Nunnery Lane before returning via a special tunnel under the Ouse near Lendal Bridge.

Wake up and smell the coffee people. You've still got the Viking Centre if tourists want to see what Olde Yorke looked like.

Oh, and like The Big One in Blackpool, I'd call the York roller-coaster the "Sentamu Sensation".

Brilliant eh?
Brilliant, but I'd prefer a log flume.
[quote][p][bold]Ousetunes[/bold] wrote: Gosh, what a bunch of moaners. Everyone knows that York doesn't need a silly Big Wheel, it needs a rollercoaster and I reckon it should be built in Museum Gardens and stretch over the Minster before returning via the Bar Walls right over to Nunnery Lane before returning via a special tunnel under the Ouse near Lendal Bridge. Wake up and smell the coffee people. You've still got the Viking Centre if tourists want to see what Olde Yorke looked like. Oh, and like The Big One in Blackpool, I'd call the York roller-coaster the "Sentamu Sensation". Brilliant eh?[/p][/quote]Brilliant, but I'd prefer a log flume. alimount
  • Score: 0

3:15pm Fri 10 Jul 09

the andrew says...

WHEN the splash palace is flattened put it there, York's busiest street and not at odds with any ancient attractions.
WHEN the splash palace is flattened put it there, York's busiest street and not at odds with any ancient attractions. the andrew
  • Score: 0

3:32pm Fri 10 Jul 09

tonezzzznoddedoff says...

Thats it ! Replace splash palace with the wheel and make the seats commodes. Brilliant, kill two birds with one stone.
Thats it ! Replace splash palace with the wheel and make the seats commodes. Brilliant, kill two birds with one stone. tonezzzznoddedoff
  • Score: 0

3:32pm Fri 10 Jul 09

tonezzzznoddedoff says...

Thats it ! Replace splash palace with the wheel and make the seats commodes. Brilliant, kill two birds with one stone.
Thats it ! Replace splash palace with the wheel and make the seats commodes. Brilliant, kill two birds with one stone. tonezzzznoddedoff
  • Score: 0

4:53pm Fri 10 Jul 09

bri says...

I suspect the council would have been willing to site it at St George’s Field car park as they would receive revenue as it is council land.
I suspect the council would have been willing to site it at St George’s Field car park as they would receive revenue as it is council land. bri
  • Score: 0

5:03pm Fri 10 Jul 09

old_geezer says...

If I say it often enough, maybe someone will hear: see www.bournemouthballo
on.com.

Goes higher than a wheel, hence better views.
If I say it often enough, maybe someone will hear: see www.bournemouthballo on.com. Goes higher than a wheel, hence better views. old_geezer
  • Score: 0

5:27pm Fri 10 Jul 09

the butler says...

These devises are ideal for a visiting fair, the kind that used to be held on St George's field, Yet as a permanent structure, for private profit, it is a lousy idea.
These devises are ideal for a visiting fair, the kind that used to be held on St George's field, Yet as a permanent structure, for private profit, it is a lousy idea. the butler
  • Score: 0

6:20pm Fri 10 Jul 09

again says...

tonezzzznoddedoff wrote:
The London Eye hasent done Lonon any harm has it?
Are we talking about London? The 2 places are completely different, I went to London once (that was enough) and it was plain to see.
[quote][p][bold]tonezzzznoddedoff[/bold] wrote: The London Eye hasent done Lonon any harm has it?[/p][/quote]Are we talking about London? The 2 places are completely different, I went to London once (that was enough) and it was plain to see. again
  • Score: 0

6:26pm Fri 10 Jul 09

LittleTed says...

again wrote:
tonezzzznoddedoff wrote:
The London Eye hasent done Lonon any harm has it?
Are we talking about London? The 2 places are completely different, I went to London once (that was enough) and it was plain to see.
Well said. York is not London!

There is a very VERY BIG difference.
[quote][p][bold]again[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tonezzzznoddedoff[/bold] wrote: The London Eye hasent done Lonon any harm has it?[/p][/quote]Are we talking about London? The 2 places are completely different, I went to London once (that was enough) and it was plain to see. [/p][/quote]Well said. York is not London! There is a very VERY BIG difference. LittleTed
  • Score: 0

7:32pm Fri 10 Jul 09

cheekyelf says...

Leaving alone the fact of whether or not the wheel is good or bad for York, I would like to make the following remarks about the YP article and their sources having looked at the application at the CYC website:
* the application is for a 50m wheel not 60m wheel
* the artist impression (beside being aweful) is not according to the plans
* there are less than 60 single objection comments made to the application by residents

Is this journalism? Or persuing a political agenda?
Leaving alone the fact of whether or not the wheel is good or bad for York, I would like to make the following remarks about the YP article and their sources having looked at the application at the CYC website: * the application is for a 50m wheel not 60m wheel * the artist impression (beside being aweful) is not according to the plans * there are less than 60 single objection comments made to the application by residents Is this journalism? Or persuing a political agenda? cheekyelf
  • Score: 0

7:39pm Fri 10 Jul 09

H8r says...

It's not an awful picture. It's brilliant! Was it done by a simple 5 year old using MS Paint?

The Wheel should be in the middle of the Ouse between Ouse and Lendal Bridges. The capsules would go under water so people can see shopping trollies and various other debris at the bottom of the river.
It's not an awful picture. It's brilliant! Was it done by a simple 5 year old using MS Paint? The Wheel should be in the middle of the Ouse between Ouse and Lendal Bridges. The capsules would go under water so people can see shopping trollies and various other debris at the bottom of the river. H8r
  • Score: 0

8:37pm Fri 10 Jul 09

Bishlad says...

Usual nonsense being written. The truth of the matter is that the wheel left the NRM because of falling revenue. It had nothing at all to do with the Council or any "Red Tape" Remember tourism creates some 11,000 jobs and brings into the York economy about £80 million. So get with it we need the wheel it will bring in money and create jobs allbeit for only three or four years then I suspect it will go.
Usual nonsense being written. The truth of the matter is that the wheel left the NRM because of falling revenue. It had nothing at all to do with the Council or any "Red Tape" Remember tourism creates some 11,000 jobs and brings into the York economy about £80 million. So get with it we need the wheel it will bring in money and create jobs allbeit for only three or four years then I suspect it will go. Bishlad
  • Score: 0

8:47pm Fri 10 Jul 09

LittleTed says...

Bishlad wrote:
Usual nonsense being written. The truth of the matter is that the wheel left the NRM because of falling revenue. It had nothing at all to do with the Council or any "Red Tape" Remember tourism creates some 11,000 jobs and brings into the York economy about £80 million. So get with it we need the wheel it will bring in money and create jobs allbeit for only three or four years then I suspect it will go.
I repeat.......

WTA saw that York was and is still becoming a major tourist attraction "in it's own right". They didn't want to "add" anything to York, they wanted to take something away, MONEY.

Get With It!
[quote][p][bold]Bishlad[/bold] wrote: Usual nonsense being written. The truth of the matter is that the wheel left the NRM because of falling revenue. It had nothing at all to do with the Council or any "Red Tape" Remember tourism creates some 11,000 jobs and brings into the York economy about £80 million. So get with it we need the wheel it will bring in money and create jobs allbeit for only three or four years then I suspect it will go.[/p][/quote]I repeat....... WTA saw that York was and is still becoming a major tourist attraction "in it's own right". They didn't want to "add" anything to York, they wanted to take something away, MONEY. Get With It! LittleTed
  • Score: 0

9:25pm Fri 10 Jul 09

Newlandslad says...

This is looking as though it will become another lost opportunity. A tourist attraction potentially lost in these difficult times - what a mistake!
This is looking as though it will become another lost opportunity. A tourist attraction potentially lost in these difficult times - what a mistake! Newlandslad
  • Score: 0

9:39pm Fri 10 Jul 09

LittleTed says...

Newlandslad wrote:
This is looking as though it will become another lost opportunity. A tourist attraction potentially lost in these difficult times - what a mistake!
Another you say. What were/was the other/s?

[quote][p][bold]Newlandslad[/bold] wrote: This is looking as though it will become another lost opportunity. A tourist attraction potentially lost in these difficult times - what a mistake![/p][/quote]Another you say. What were/was the other/s? LittleTed
  • Score: 0

9:48pm Fri 10 Jul 09

humpty numpty says...

usual rubbish from little ted, "i'm right everyone else is wrong", growth of the city would be at the rate of 3 toed sloth on tranquilisers if left to people of his ilk. york cannot survive without tourists - fact - anything that brings in additional numbers is to be welcomed, even at the expense of upsetting the old shuffler brigade.
usual rubbish from little ted, "i'm right everyone else is wrong", growth of the city would be at the rate of 3 toed sloth on tranquilisers if left to people of his ilk. york cannot survive without tourists - fact - anything that brings in additional numbers is to be welcomed, even at the expense of upsetting the old shuffler brigade. humpty numpty
  • Score: 0

10:03pm Fri 10 Jul 09

LittleTed says...

Hello Numpty.

Wrong again I'm afraid!

I am employed in the tourist industry. It pays for my mortgage etc etc etc......

So stuff that in your shell like and smoke it!
Hello Numpty. Wrong again I'm afraid! I am employed in the tourist industry. It pays for my mortgage etc etc etc...... So stuff that in your shell like and smoke it! LittleTed
  • Score: 0

10:06pm Fri 10 Jul 09

LittleTed says...

Differences aside, I love the line,

"rate of 3 toed sloth on tranquillisers"

Class!
Differences aside, I love the line, "rate of 3 toed sloth on tranquillisers" Class! LittleTed
  • Score: 0

10:10pm Fri 10 Jul 09

LittleTed says...

And another thing.

Less of the "HE" if you don't mind.
And another thing. Less of the "HE" if you don't mind. LittleTed
  • Score: 0

11:01pm Fri 10 Jul 09

humpty numpty says...

little ted, old shufflers have already turned york into a theme park, welcome to "medieval world"? cannot build/do anything without some group/body/self appointed champion complianing. love to accept the accolade for the sloth line but can't, plagerised i'm afraid (electric ink BBC4) but funny nevertheless. looks like your dancing has paid dividends, hope you havn't tired yourself out!!! Press saturday front page headline "south bank flooded after 3 months rainfall in 2 hours, 200 homes evacuated - worse still, racing abandoned"
little ted, old shufflers have already turned york into a theme park, welcome to "medieval world"? cannot build/do anything without some group/body/self appointed champion complianing. love to accept the accolade for the sloth line but can't, plagerised i'm afraid (electric ink BBC4) but funny nevertheless. looks like your dancing has paid dividends, hope you havn't tired yourself out!!! Press saturday front page headline "south bank flooded after 3 months rainfall in 2 hours, 200 homes evacuated - worse still, racing abandoned" humpty numpty
  • Score: 0

11:38pm Fri 10 Jul 09

LittleTed says...

humpty numpty wrote:
little ted, old shufflers have already turned york into a theme park, welcome to "medieval world"? cannot build/do anything without some group/body/self appointed champion complianing. love to accept the accolade for the sloth line but can't, plagerised i'm afraid (electric ink BBC4) but funny nevertheless. looks like your dancing has paid dividends, hope you havn't tired yourself out!!! Press saturday front page headline "south bank flooded after 3 months rainfall in 2 hours, 200 homes evacuated - worse still, racing abandoned"
Like it,like it.

I don't get the dancing bit though. Please explain.
[quote][p][bold]humpty numpty[/bold] wrote: little ted, old shufflers have already turned york into a theme park, welcome to "medieval world"? cannot build/do anything without some group/body/self appointed champion complianing. love to accept the accolade for the sloth line but can't, plagerised i'm afraid (electric ink BBC4) but funny nevertheless. looks like your dancing has paid dividends, hope you havn't tired yourself out!!! Press saturday front page headline "south bank flooded after 3 months rainfall in 2 hours, 200 homes evacuated - worse still, racing abandoned"[/p][/quote]Like it,like it. I don't get the dancing bit though. Please explain. LittleTed
  • Score: 0

10:45am Sat 11 Jul 09

humpty numpty says...

you were doing a rain dance for magnet cup day - however looking out the window this morning its beautiful sunshine!
you were doing a rain dance for magnet cup day - however looking out the window this morning its beautiful sunshine! humpty numpty
  • Score: 0

12:03pm Sat 11 Jul 09

LittleTed says...

humpty numpty wrote:
you were doing a rain dance for magnet cup day - however looking out the window this morning its beautiful sunshine!
Oh yeah!

I decided against it as I'm going to the races today. Hic!
[quote][p][bold]humpty numpty[/bold] wrote: you were doing a rain dance for magnet cup day - however looking out the window this morning its beautiful sunshine![/p][/quote]Oh yeah! I decided against it as I'm going to the races today. Hic! LittleTed
  • Score: 0

12:53pm Sat 11 Jul 09

York1900 says...

Jassy wrote:
Is there an empty plot in Hungate?
Yes there are empty plots but we do not want this pile of junk there either

we have just kicked the councils butt about wanting to build there HQ at Hungate

The best place for the World Tourist Attractions' big wheel is in the middle of the North sea
[quote][p][bold]Jassy[/bold] wrote: Is there an empty plot in Hungate?[/p][/quote]Yes there are empty plots but we do not want this pile of junk there either we have just kicked the councils butt about wanting to build there HQ at Hungate The best place for the World Tourist Attractions' big wheel is in the middle of the North sea York1900
  • Score: 0

1:09pm Sat 11 Jul 09

York1900 says...

alimount wrote:
LittleTed wrote:
alimount wrote: Move on WTA. It's clear the people of York don't want it, stick two fingers up and take the custom elsewhere. York residents will moan about anything that is modern, yet forget how vital the tourist industry is to their livelihoods. Why not put it in the field near the court, cliffords tower and York museum? No one could complain then. (probably)
Oh yeah, that would look great next to a 13th century ancient monument wouldn't it? And Clifford's Tower would make a fortune from visitors going up the tower to take in the views. NOT! Really thought that one through didn't you? Keep your useless comments in Chester and leave York to the people of York!
Haha yeah suppose the judge in court 1 wouldn't be too happy about people peering in through the glass roof. Alright, how about Parliament street? Would be a great view and could only do the businesses and market stalls along there good. Not so good for the fair and foreign markets tho. Can't be too many residents in that area as well.
Parliament street is a no go because of what is under Parliament street
[quote][p][bold]alimount[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LittleTed[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]alimount[/bold] wrote: Move on WTA. It's clear the people of York don't want it, stick two fingers up and take the custom elsewhere. York residents will moan about anything that is modern, yet forget how vital the tourist industry is to their livelihoods. Why not put it in the field near the court, cliffords tower and York museum? No one could complain then. (probably)[/p][/quote]Oh yeah, that would look great next to a 13th century ancient monument wouldn't it? And Clifford's Tower would make a fortune from visitors going up the tower to take in the views. NOT! Really thought that one through didn't you? Keep your useless comments in Chester and leave York to the people of York! [/p][/quote]Haha yeah suppose the judge in court 1 wouldn't be too happy about people peering in through the glass roof. Alright, how about Parliament street? Would be a great view and could only do the businesses and market stalls along there good. Not so good for the fair and foreign markets tho. Can't be too many residents in that area as well.[/p][/quote]Parliament street is a no go because of what is under Parliament street York1900
  • Score: 0

9:08pm Sat 11 Jul 09

LittleTed says...

Splash Dungeon.
Splash Dungeon. LittleTed
  • Score: 0

1:19pm Mon 13 Jul 09

Kiff says...

York1900 wrote:
alimount wrote:
LittleTed wrote:
alimount wrote: Move on WTA. It's clear the people of York don't want it, stick two fingers up and take the custom elsewhere. York residents will moan about anything that is modern, yet forget how vital the tourist industry is to their livelihoods. Why not put it in the field near the court, cliffords tower and York museum? No one could complain then. (probably)
Oh yeah, that would look great next to a 13th century ancient monument wouldn't it? And Clifford's Tower would make a fortune from visitors going up the tower to take in the views. NOT! Really thought that one through didn't you? Keep your useless comments in Chester and leave York to the people of York!
Haha yeah suppose the judge in court 1 wouldn't be too happy about people peering in through the glass roof. Alright, how about Parliament street? Would be a great view and could only do the businesses and market stalls along there good. Not so good for the fair and foreign markets tho. Can't be too many residents in that area as well.
Parliament street is a no go because of what is under Parliament street
OK, I'm curious. What is under there?
[quote][p][bold]York1900[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]alimount[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LittleTed[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]alimount[/bold] wrote: Move on WTA. It's clear the people of York don't want it, stick two fingers up and take the custom elsewhere. York residents will moan about anything that is modern, yet forget how vital the tourist industry is to their livelihoods. Why not put it in the field near the court, cliffords tower and York museum? No one could complain then. (probably)[/p][/quote]Oh yeah, that would look great next to a 13th century ancient monument wouldn't it? And Clifford's Tower would make a fortune from visitors going up the tower to take in the views. NOT! Really thought that one through didn't you? Keep your useless comments in Chester and leave York to the people of York! [/p][/quote]Haha yeah suppose the judge in court 1 wouldn't be too happy about people peering in through the glass roof. Alright, how about Parliament street? Would be a great view and could only do the businesses and market stalls along there good. Not so good for the fair and foreign markets tho. Can't be too many residents in that area as well.[/p][/quote]Parliament street is a no go because of what is under Parliament street [/p][/quote]OK, I'm curious. What is under there? Kiff
  • Score: 0

10:07am Tue 14 Jul 09

LizM says...

cheekyelf wrote:
Leaving alone the fact of whether or not the wheel is good or bad for York, I would like to make the following remarks about the YP article and their sources having looked at the application at the CYC website:
* the application is for a 50m wheel not 60m wheel
* the artist impression (beside being aweful) is not according to the plans
* there are less than 60 single objection comments made to the application by residents

Is this journalism? Or persuing a political agenda?
There seems to be some confusion over the height of the proposed wheel - the flood report posted on the CoYC planning site states 60m, so I assume this is correct.

There would've been far more objections had the council sent planning notices to all of the local residents - I live very close to St George's Field and would be overlooked by the wheel but had no letter from the council and I know that this is the case for the majority of our neighbours. The yellow notices weren't put up until after the original closing date for objections etc. etc.

I submitted my objection at the first opportunity but this was after the required date so don't know if it's been counted in the 60 as quoted.

I therefore question where the political agenda is - is it really with this journalism or with certain parties' interests?
[quote][p][bold]cheekyelf[/bold] wrote: Leaving alone the fact of whether or not the wheel is good or bad for York, I would like to make the following remarks about the YP article and their sources having looked at the application at the CYC website: * the application is for a 50m wheel not 60m wheel * the artist impression (beside being aweful) is not according to the plans * there are less than 60 single objection comments made to the application by residents Is this journalism? Or persuing a political agenda?[/p][/quote]There seems to be some confusion over the height of the proposed wheel - the flood report posted on the CoYC planning site states 60m, so I assume this is correct. There would've been far more objections had the council sent planning notices to all of the local residents - I live very close to St George's Field and would be overlooked by the wheel but had no letter from the council and I know that this is the case for the majority of our neighbours. The yellow notices weren't put up until after the original closing date for objections etc. etc. I submitted my objection at the first opportunity but this was after the required date so don't know if it's been counted in the 60 as quoted. I therefore question where the political agenda is - is it really with this journalism or with certain parties' interests? LizM
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree