A MAN was rescued from a car after driving it into a canal.
Emergency services, including police and firefighters, were called to Selby Canal in Brayton at about 9.15pm yesterday.
- York couple missing after Manchester attack have died Update 10.50am
- The longest minutes of my life: mother tells of her wait for daughter after terror attack
- Children put on dancing shoes for young heart patient Isobel
- PM raises terror threat level to critical
- Minster police gain new powers
- A169 fatal crash man named
- MANCHESTER ATTACK: York people on how we respond to such an atrocity
- Arson suspected at derelict building
A spokesman for North Yorkshire Police said the force received reports of a car entering the canal and the vehicle was sinking. Officers arrived at the scene within five minutes of the call.
The man, in his 30's, was pulled to safety by police officers.
The spokesman added: "He was taken to hospital to receive the care he needs from mental health professionals.
"The police investigation into the incident is ongoing."