A WOMAN has told how a fire started in the kitchen at her Selby home when she put a laundry basket on the cooker, not realising it was on.

She said the plastic basket, and then the clothing, caught fire at their property in Fostergate at 9.20pm yesterday.

The woman, who did not want to be named, said her partner rushed downstairs to put it out by pouring water over it, and then using a fire blanket and damp towels.

She said he was checked out by paramedics for smoke inhalation but was OK.

North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service said the fire was started accidentally and firefighters ventilated the building.