Update: the shop is open for business as usual. September 4
FIRE has damaged a fish and chip shop in York.
The blaze happened at about 9.05pm on Tuesday at Fulford Fish & Chip Shop in Fulford Main Street.
The fire had begun in the fryer and spread to the extraction unit.
It caused damage to the extraction system, the chimney and the inside of the shop. Nobody is believed to have been hurt.
A spokesman for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said the fire was thought to have been caused by the accidental ignition of the fryer oil.
Crews from the York and Acomb stations dealt with the fire.