Fears for future of Yearsley swimming pool

Yearsley swimming pool

Yearsley swimming pool

First published in News
Last updated
by

CAMPAIGNERS fighting for the future of a community pool fear its days are numbered after plans for a new facility were announced.

If the proposals for a new community stadium and swimming pool in Huntington go ahead, Yearsley Pool Action Group (YPAG) believe the only option for the Haley Terrace venue would be to shut its doors, resulting in the loss of “the unique, historic and valuable” attraction.

The group has fought a battle to keep the pool open for the past 15 years, and it was successful in securing a £1.2million refurbishment in 2007.

However, a review is set to take place six months prior to the new facilities opening to determine whether operators GLL will be able to run Yearsley when the new services open to the public.

Fiona Evans, of YPAG, said: "From available information, not to mention 15 years of acute observation, we believe this plan is going to be implemented in 2016, with the resultant loss of the unique, historic and valuable Yearsley Pool.

"This would not only be a tragic loss of a valuable community asset, which by virtue of its long length and large capacity tank, provides a different type of swimming environment to any other facility in York, it would also represent a scandalous waste of public money."

Sally Burns, director of communities and Neighbourhoods at City of York Council said: "Public leisure facilities are facing closure throughout the UK due to lack of long-term funding for their upkeep and ongoing operation.

"In York there has instead been a significant investment into new leisure facilities including a new community leisure complex at Energise and the fantastic competition standard facilities at York Sport Village.

"The current plans unveiled by the council this week propose a further £37m investment into community leisure facilities at Monks Cross.

“The council has invested significant capital funds in the upkeep of Yearsley Pool, most recently in replacing the boiler, to keep it in operation and to reduce the annual subsidy of the pool, which now stands at £250k per year."

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:35pm Sat 30 Aug 14

Justin7 says...

To be fair, it may be heading to a bad situation as-is, with the money it's losing. The new situation may actually save it.

People need to support these places by using them. It's no good writing letters and then never going. Places live and die on people going through the doors.

Let's get this brilliant new facility for the City at Monks Cross built and let's ensure that places like Yearlsey are seen to be viable by people making sure they use it.

We're a big enough city to ensure this.
To be fair, it may be heading to a bad situation as-is, with the money it's losing. The new situation may actually save it. People need to support these places by using them. It's no good writing letters and then never going. Places live and die on people going through the doors. Let's get this brilliant new facility for the City at Monks Cross built and let's ensure that places like Yearlsey are seen to be viable by people making sure they use it. We're a big enough city to ensure this. Justin7
  • Score: 22

12:57pm Sat 30 Aug 14

Jack Ham says...

Funny. CYC could fund £100,000 to fund their Arts Barge, another half a million for paving stones, another million or so for a cycle path, half a million or so for a single day of Tour de France, £43 million for the swanky west offices....on and on and one.

Upkeep of the swimming baths for residents. Oh, sorry, there's no funding available.

Same old story when in fact it's all about choices!
Funny. CYC could fund £100,000 to fund their Arts Barge, another half a million for paving stones, another million or so for a cycle path, half a million or so for a single day of Tour de France, £43 million for the swanky west offices....on and on and one. Upkeep of the swimming baths for residents. Oh, sorry, there's no funding available. Same old story when in fact it's all about choices! Jack Ham
  • Score: -39

1:15pm Sat 30 Aug 14

telos says...

I used to go there from primary school in the late 1970's. I hated it. Always thought that it was a monstrous eyesore. If it is to be pulled down. the sooner the better.
I used to go there from primary school in the late 1970's. I hated it. Always thought that it was a monstrous eyesore. If it is to be pulled down. the sooner the better. telos
  • Score: -34

1:31pm Sat 30 Aug 14

brahma says...

Take the roof off and restore it to being an open air facility, as it was when I first went in the early 60s. We've missed not having one since Rowntrees Park pool closed and I'm sure there'd be seasonal demand from cold water swimmers such as me. Just look at the continued success of Ilkley lido.
Take the roof off and restore it to being an open air facility, as it was when I first went in the early 60s. We've missed not having one since Rowntrees Park pool closed and I'm sure there'd be seasonal demand from cold water swimmers such as me. Just look at the continued success of Ilkley lido. brahma
  • Score: 12

8:42pm Sat 30 Aug 14

Tug job says...

Jack Ham wrote:
Funny. CYC could fund £100,000 to fund their Arts Barge, another half a million for paving stones, another million or so for a cycle path, half a million or so for a single day of Tour de France, £43 million for the swanky west offices....on and on and one.

Upkeep of the swimming baths for residents. Oh, sorry, there's no funding available.

Same old story when in fact it's all about choices!
But the Council is subsidising it, to the tune of £250K per annum. Can't you read?
[quote][p][bold]Jack Ham[/bold] wrote: Funny. CYC could fund £100,000 to fund their Arts Barge, another half a million for paving stones, another million or so for a cycle path, half a million or so for a single day of Tour de France, £43 million for the swanky west offices....on and on and one. Upkeep of the swimming baths for residents. Oh, sorry, there's no funding available. Same old story when in fact it's all about choices![/p][/quote]But the Council is subsidising it, to the tune of £250K per annum. Can't you read? Tug job
  • Score: -8

10:39pm Sat 30 Aug 14

goatman says...

As a regular user of Yearsley Pool I would be gutted to see it go, it is a true 'Community' asset. However it is a sad fact of life that nothing can stand in the path of the great god 'Soccer', which somehow slipped into the country's national religion. £250k subsidy a year subsidy to keep the pool open is but small beer compared to what most football clubs lose. Any other business would go to the wall if they managed their books the way that most football clubs do, but the banks are too scared to pull the plugs on them. Portsmouth must have had more lives than Lazarus and Schrodingers cat combined.

I await with interest to see what the York City 'Community' stadium will give me compared to what I already have.
As a regular user of Yearsley Pool I would be gutted to see it go, it is a true 'Community' asset. However it is a sad fact of life that nothing can stand in the path of the great god 'Soccer', which somehow slipped into the country's national religion. £250k subsidy a year subsidy to keep the pool open is but small beer compared to what most football clubs lose. Any other business would go to the wall if they managed their books the way that most football clubs do, but the banks are too scared to pull the plugs on them. Portsmouth must have had more lives than Lazarus and Schrodingers cat combined. I await with interest to see what the York City 'Community' stadium will give me compared to what I already have. goatman
  • Score: 9

3:38am Sun 31 Aug 14

anistasia says...

It needs keeping open the amount of schools that could use it.york is built on rivers and with the recent river tragedies kids need to learn to swim.but like everything else the government wants Britain to win medals in such as the Olympics but its never gonna happen soon all the swimming pools closing school fields built on where are the people meant to train like various track events.hope if it is sold off its not sold to build more student accommodation on.
It needs keeping open the amount of schools that could use it.york is built on rivers and with the recent river tragedies kids need to learn to swim.but like everything else the government wants Britain to win medals in such as the Olympics but its never gonna happen soon all the swimming pools closing school fields built on where are the people meant to train like various track events.hope if it is sold off its not sold to build more student accommodation on. anistasia
  • Score: 8

8:17am Sun 31 Aug 14

Stralzi says...

telos wrote:
I used to go there from primary school in the late 1970's. I hated it. Always thought that it was a monstrous eyesore. If it is to be pulled down. the sooner the better.
A pointless and selfish comment - at the end of the day it is unique and if lost people will miss and regret with hindsight.
[quote][p][bold]telos[/bold] wrote: I used to go there from primary school in the late 1970's. I hated it. Always thought that it was a monstrous eyesore. If it is to be pulled down. the sooner the better.[/p][/quote]A pointless and selfish comment - at the end of the day it is unique and if lost people will miss and regret with hindsight. Stralzi
  • Score: 13

8:48am Sun 31 Aug 14

Jack Ham says...

Tug job wrote:
Jack Ham wrote:
Funny. CYC could fund £100,000 to fund their Arts Barge, another half a million for paving stones, another million or so for a cycle path, half a million or so for a single day of Tour de France, £43 million for the swanky west offices....on and on and one.

Upkeep of the swimming baths for residents. Oh, sorry, there's no funding available.

Same old story when in fact it's all about choices!
But the Council is subsidising it, to the tune of £250K per annum. Can't you read?
And?

Local Authorities use our council tax to subsidise many activities. I would much prefer something like this than foreign trips, fairness commissions, unused cycle paths, arts barges and disastrous schemes like Lendal Bridge.

£250K is a lot of money but is only marginally more than the Chief Exec costs us when her entire package is taken into account and I know which one brings the greatest benefit for residents.
[quote][p][bold]Tug job[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jack Ham[/bold] wrote: Funny. CYC could fund £100,000 to fund their Arts Barge, another half a million for paving stones, another million or so for a cycle path, half a million or so for a single day of Tour de France, £43 million for the swanky west offices....on and on and one. Upkeep of the swimming baths for residents. Oh, sorry, there's no funding available. Same old story when in fact it's all about choices![/p][/quote]But the Council is subsidising it, to the tune of £250K per annum. Can't you read?[/p][/quote]And? Local Authorities use our council tax to subsidise many activities. I would much prefer something like this than foreign trips, fairness commissions, unused cycle paths, arts barges and disastrous schemes like Lendal Bridge. £250K is a lot of money but is only marginally more than the Chief Exec costs us when her entire package is taken into account and I know which one brings the greatest benefit for residents. Jack Ham
  • Score: -48

8:49am Sun 31 Aug 14

Not-Dotty says...

If The Press had linked this story to the pre-refurbishment one a few years ago we would have been reminded that if the council stops running a community facility at Yearsly then the land and facility revert back to Roundtrees - who have previously said will keep it running - hence the refurbishment a few years ago.
If The Press had linked this story to the pre-refurbishment one a few years ago we would have been reminded that if the council stops running a community facility at Yearsly then the land and facility revert back to Roundtrees - who have previously said will keep it running - hence the refurbishment a few years ago. Not-Dotty
  • Score: 3

11:34am Sun 31 Aug 14

neptune says...

With regard to Sally Burns description of the "fantastic competition standard pool" at York sports park. I would be interested to know where this is, because the new 8 lane pool there is not suitable for any competetions. This is mainly due to the fact that there is no adequate spectator seating.
With regard to Sally Burns description of the "fantastic competition standard pool" at York sports park. I would be interested to know where this is, because the new 8 lane pool there is not suitable for any competetions. This is mainly due to the fact that there is no adequate spectator seating. neptune
  • Score: 7

3:10pm Sun 31 Aug 14

Tug job says...

Jack Ham wrote:
Tug job wrote:
Jack Ham wrote:
Funny. CYC could fund £100,000 to fund their Arts Barge, another half a million for paving stones, another million or so for a cycle path, half a million or so for a single day of Tour de France, £43 million for the swanky west offices....on and on and one.

Upkeep of the swimming baths for residents. Oh, sorry, there's no funding available.

Same old story when in fact it's all about choices!
But the Council is subsidising it, to the tune of £250K per annum. Can't you read?
And?

Local Authorities use our council tax to subsidise many activities. I would much prefer something like this than foreign trips, fairness commissions, unused cycle paths, arts barges and disastrous schemes like Lendal Bridge.

£250K is a lot of money but is only marginally more than the Chief Exec costs us when her entire package is taken into account and I know which one brings the greatest benefit for residents.
On the one hand you complain "there's no funding available", on the other you say the subsidy is only marginally more the the Chief Exec's total package. The Council us either funding Yearsley Baths or it isn't.
[quote][p][bold]Jack Ham[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tug job[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jack Ham[/bold] wrote: Funny. CYC could fund £100,000 to fund their Arts Barge, another half a million for paving stones, another million or so for a cycle path, half a million or so for a single day of Tour de France, £43 million for the swanky west offices....on and on and one. Upkeep of the swimming baths for residents. Oh, sorry, there's no funding available. Same old story when in fact it's all about choices![/p][/quote]But the Council is subsidising it, to the tune of £250K per annum. Can't you read?[/p][/quote]And? Local Authorities use our council tax to subsidise many activities. I would much prefer something like this than foreign trips, fairness commissions, unused cycle paths, arts barges and disastrous schemes like Lendal Bridge. £250K is a lot of money but is only marginally more than the Chief Exec costs us when her entire package is taken into account and I know which one brings the greatest benefit for residents.[/p][/quote]On the one hand you complain "there's no funding available", on the other you say the subsidy is only marginally more the the Chief Exec's total package. The Council us either funding Yearsley Baths or it isn't. Tug job
  • Score: 1

3:25pm Sun 31 Aug 14

Jack Ham says...

Tug job wrote:
Jack Ham wrote:
Tug job wrote:
Jack Ham wrote:
Funny. CYC could fund £100,000 to fund their Arts Barge, another half a million for paving stones, another million or so for a cycle path, half a million or so for a single day of Tour de France, £43 million for the swanky west offices....on and on and one.

Upkeep of the swimming baths for residents. Oh, sorry, there's no funding available.

Same old story when in fact it's all about choices!
But the Council is subsidising it, to the tune of £250K per annum. Can't you read?
And?

Local Authorities use our council tax to subsidise many activities. I would much prefer something like this than foreign trips, fairness commissions, unused cycle paths, arts barges and disastrous schemes like Lendal Bridge.

£250K is a lot of money but is only marginally more than the Chief Exec costs us when her entire package is taken into account and I know which one brings the greatest benefit for residents.
On the one hand you complain "there's no funding available", on the other you say the subsidy is only marginally more the the Chief Exec's total package. The Council us either funding Yearsley Baths or it isn't.
Sorry. I don't speak jibberish.
[quote][p][bold]Tug job[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jack Ham[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tug job[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jack Ham[/bold] wrote: Funny. CYC could fund £100,000 to fund their Arts Barge, another half a million for paving stones, another million or so for a cycle path, half a million or so for a single day of Tour de France, £43 million for the swanky west offices....on and on and one. Upkeep of the swimming baths for residents. Oh, sorry, there's no funding available. Same old story when in fact it's all about choices![/p][/quote]But the Council is subsidising it, to the tune of £250K per annum. Can't you read?[/p][/quote]And? Local Authorities use our council tax to subsidise many activities. I would much prefer something like this than foreign trips, fairness commissions, unused cycle paths, arts barges and disastrous schemes like Lendal Bridge. £250K is a lot of money but is only marginally more than the Chief Exec costs us when her entire package is taken into account and I know which one brings the greatest benefit for residents.[/p][/quote]On the one hand you complain "there's no funding available", on the other you say the subsidy is only marginally more the the Chief Exec's total package. The Council us either funding Yearsley Baths or it isn't.[/p][/quote]Sorry. I don't speak jibberish. Jack Ham
  • Score: -61

8:45pm Sun 31 Aug 14

Tug job says...

Jack Ham wrote:
Tug job wrote:
Jack Ham wrote:
Tug job wrote:
Jack Ham wrote:
Funny. CYC could fund £100,000 to fund their Arts Barge, another half a million for paving stones, another million or so for a cycle path, half a million or so for a single day of Tour de France, £43 million for the swanky west offices....on and on and one.

Upkeep of the swimming baths for residents. Oh, sorry, there's no funding available.

Same old story when in fact it's all about choices!
But the Council is subsidising it, to the tune of £250K per annum. Can't you read?
And?

Local Authorities use our council tax to subsidise many activities. I would much prefer something like this than foreign trips, fairness commissions, unused cycle paths, arts barges and disastrous schemes like Lendal Bridge.

£250K is a lot of money but is only marginally more than the Chief Exec costs us when her entire package is taken into account and I know which one brings the greatest benefit for residents.
On the one hand you complain "there's no funding available", on the other you say the subsidy is only marginally more the the Chief Exec's total package. The Council us either funding Yearsley Baths or it isn't.
Sorry. I don't speak jibberish.
But you certainly write it.
[quote][p][bold]Jack Ham[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tug job[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jack Ham[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tug job[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jack Ham[/bold] wrote: Funny. CYC could fund £100,000 to fund their Arts Barge, another half a million for paving stones, another million or so for a cycle path, half a million or so for a single day of Tour de France, £43 million for the swanky west offices....on and on and one. Upkeep of the swimming baths for residents. Oh, sorry, there's no funding available. Same old story when in fact it's all about choices![/p][/quote]But the Council is subsidising it, to the tune of £250K per annum. Can't you read?[/p][/quote]And? Local Authorities use our council tax to subsidise many activities. I would much prefer something like this than foreign trips, fairness commissions, unused cycle paths, arts barges and disastrous schemes like Lendal Bridge. £250K is a lot of money but is only marginally more than the Chief Exec costs us when her entire package is taken into account and I know which one brings the greatest benefit for residents.[/p][/quote]On the one hand you complain "there's no funding available", on the other you say the subsidy is only marginally more the the Chief Exec's total package. The Council us either funding Yearsley Baths or it isn't.[/p][/quote]Sorry. I don't speak jibberish.[/p][/quote]But you certainly write it. Tug job
  • Score: 45
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree