Royal Dragoon Guards parade through York to mark First World War Centenary

Royal Dragoon Guards parade marks First World War Centenary

Royal Dragoon Guards parade through York

Royal Dragoon Guards parade through York

Royal Dragoon Guards parade through York

Royal Dragoon Guards parade through York

Royal Dragoon Guards parade through York

Royal Dragoon Guards parade through York

First published in News
Last updated
York Press: Photograph of the Author by , Political reporter

ONE HUNDRED and fifty soldiers from Yorkshire's cavalry regiment have today exercised their right to march through York in a colourful ceremony recalling the city's military past.

The Royal Dragoon Guards exercised their freedom of the city this morning, marching through the city before an inspection of the troops while two RAF Typhoon fighter jets conducted a flypast, and ending with a special service in the Minster.

This year's parade took on special significance with the First World War centenary, as the regiment's antecedants were involved in both the first shots fired, and the final cavalry charge, of the war.

Lead by Commanding Officer Lt Col Tom Bateman and three other officers on horseback, the regiment saluted an official party including Lord Mayor of York Cllr Ian Gillies, and Brigadier Johnny Torrens-Spence.

Before the parade, Lt Col Bateman said: "As Yorkshire and Ireland's Armoured Cavalry, the Regiment's ties to the great city of York are equally important to us so it is apt that we should commemorate our respect by exercising the Freedom of York.

"We are therefore honoured to march the Standard through the city's streets to remember those that went before us. We will mark the supreme sacrifice that was made by both soldiers and civilians over the course of the war whilst also enhancing out enduring relationship and commitment to the city."

The city council's chief executive Kersten England read the citation which granted the Freedom of the City April 1999, giving the regiment the  "right, priviledge and honour" to march through the streets with "colours flying, swords drawn, bayonets fixed, drums beating, bugles sounding and bands playing."

Among the crowds were many former members of the regiment who return to freedom parades to meet old comrades and remember their Army days.

William and Lesley Mulroe travelled from Featherstone, near Pontefract, to honour their son Shaun who died while serving with the regiment in Belize in 1992.

Mr Mulroe said: "Since then we have been adopted into the RDG family and always supported anything they have done."

Mrs Mulroe added: "Events like these tug at the heart strings, and it's difficult because we lost our only son, but he loved the Army."

The Royal Dragoon Guards, based at Catterick, recruit in North and West Yorkshire and have served two tours of duty in Afghanistan in the last four years.

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:47pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Fanny Free House says...

The city council's chief executive Kersten England read the citation which granted the Freedom of the City April 1999, giving the regiment the "right, priviledge and honour" to march through the streets with "colours flying, swords drawn, bayonets fixed, drums beating, bugles sounding and bands playing."

Well the residents of the city don't require a citation to have teethe bared, fist clenched in protest and an attitude of rejection to way this city has and is being managed. We will also have drums beating, bugles sounding and bands playing in 2005 when Labour are ousted and with luck England resigns.
The city council's chief executive Kersten England read the citation which granted the Freedom of the City April 1999, giving the regiment the "right, priviledge and honour" to march through the streets with "colours flying, swords drawn, bayonets fixed, drums beating, bugles sounding and bands playing." Well the residents of the city don't require a citation to have teethe bared, fist clenched in protest and an attitude of rejection to way this city has and is being managed. We will also have drums beating, bugles sounding and bands playing in 2005 when Labour are ousted and with luck England resigns. Fanny Free House
  • Score: -17

3:18pm Fri 15 Aug 14

eboricana says...

Evening Press and Kersten England D'Oh! There is no D in Privilege!
Evening Press and Kersten England D'Oh! There is no D in Privilege! eboricana
  • Score: 7

4:00pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Ignatius Lumpopo says...

One or two rather good photographs here...
One or two rather good photographs here... Ignatius Lumpopo
  • Score: 17

4:19pm Fri 15 Aug 14

York2000 says...

''Royal Dragoon Guards parade through York to mark First World War Centenary''

First comment on the articel, moaning about the council. Just for a change.
''Royal Dragoon Guards parade through York to mark First World War Centenary'' First comment on the articel, moaning about the council. Just for a change. York2000
  • Score: 21

4:20pm Fri 15 Aug 14

York2000 says...

*article
*article York2000
  • Score: 7

5:47pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Bad Tackerler says...

Fanny Free should be thankful that he/she can complain about how York is run ,if it were not for the sacrifice of men like the Dragoon Guards and countless others , we would be all speaking German !
Fanny Free should be thankful that he/she can complain about how York is run ,if it were not for the sacrifice of men like the Dragoon Guards and countless others , we would be all speaking German ! Bad Tackerler
  • Score: 13

6:38pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Fanny Free House says...

Bad Tackerler wrote:
Fanny Free should be thankful that he/she can complain about how York is run ,if it were not for the sacrifice of men like the Dragoon Guards and countless others , we would be all speaking German !
Thanks for the lecture, however having served my country for 6 years, some time in the front line it would be pointless for an arm chair warrior to attack me with arguments about sacrifice, seen it and experienced first hand, nothing more to prove. Further more I take nothing away from the Dragoon Guards, but I will never credit or congratulate this council or it's senior officers, they are a contemptible bunch of headline line grabbers who fail to acknowledge their abysmal performance and waste.

As for moaning about the council, they are only getting what they deserve, you may have your noses up their backsides but not me.
[quote][p][bold]Bad Tackerler[/bold] wrote: Fanny Free should be thankful that he/she can complain about how York is run ,if it were not for the sacrifice of men like the Dragoon Guards and countless others , we would be all speaking German ![/p][/quote]Thanks for the lecture, however having served my country for 6 years, some time in the front line it would be pointless for an arm chair warrior to attack me with arguments about sacrifice, seen it and experienced first hand, nothing more to prove. Further more I take nothing away from the Dragoon Guards, but I will never credit or congratulate this council or it's senior officers, they are a contemptible bunch of headline line grabbers who fail to acknowledge their abysmal performance and waste. As for moaning about the council, they are only getting what they deserve, you may have your noses up their backsides but not me. Fanny Free House
  • Score: -23

9:47pm Fri 15 Aug 14

spottycow says...

THANK YOU LADS FOR SERVICE TO OUR GREAT COUNTRY GOD BLESS YOU ALL
THANK YOU LADS FOR SERVICE TO OUR GREAT COUNTRY GOD BLESS YOU ALL spottycow
  • Score: 25

6:31am Sat 16 Aug 14

Bad Tackerler says...

Also served in the R.A.F as did my brother in the Guards , my dad R.A.F. and grandad as a path finder... Just wrong to drag the Guards in to your argument about the running of York
Also served in the R.A.F as did my brother in the Guards , my dad R.A.F. and grandad as a path finder... Just wrong to drag the Guards in to your argument about the running of York Bad Tackerler
  • Score: 15

8:35am Sat 16 Aug 14

anotherfloatingvoter says...

I agree with Bad Tackerler! No matter what our opinions of CoYC, the government or any political element, it should not detract from what our armed forces do, or have done in the past, for our benefit.

Just for the record, I did 18 years in the army.
I agree with Bad Tackerler! No matter what our opinions of CoYC, the government or any political element, it should not detract from what our armed forces do, or have done in the past, for our benefit. Just for the record, I did 18 years in the army. anotherfloatingvoter
  • Score: 13

9:20am Sat 16 Aug 14

snag@hotmail.co.uk says...

I don't think fanny free house was getting at our armed forces in any way , but he is absolutely RIGHT to get at the useless set of money wasting idiots who are running our city and I agree with every word and a lot more!!
I don't think fanny free house was getting at our armed forces in any way , but he is absolutely RIGHT to get at the useless set of money wasting idiots who are running our city and I agree with every word and a lot more!! snag@hotmail.co.uk
  • Score: -13

11:19am Sat 16 Aug 14

Fanny Free House says...

Bad Tackerler wrote:
Also served in the R.A.F as did my brother in the Guards , my dad R.A.F. and grandad as a path finder... Just wrong to drag the Guards in to your argument about the running of York
Did I drag the Guards in to the argument about running York ?, or did the self promotion of an individual who has consistently failed the citizens of this city do that ?.

I have nothing but praise for the Guards and have great respect for them, as I do for all our service people, past and present. I will not however allow self serving failures to piggyback their self serving image on the back of others commitment and successes. This story and any similar should not be considered a safe refuge where those who have failed the people they serve are considered equal to those (in this case the Guards) who have a proud history of success.
[quote][p][bold]Bad Tackerler[/bold] wrote: Also served in the R.A.F as did my brother in the Guards , my dad R.A.F. and grandad as a path finder... Just wrong to drag the Guards in to your argument about the running of York[/p][/quote]Did I drag the Guards in to the argument about running York ?, or did the self promotion of an individual who has consistently failed the citizens of this city do that ?. I have nothing but praise for the Guards and have great respect for them, as I do for all our service people, past and present. I will not however allow self serving failures to piggyback their self serving image on the back of others commitment and successes. This story and any similar should not be considered a safe refuge where those who have failed the people they serve are considered equal to those (in this case the Guards) who have a proud history of success. Fanny Free House
  • Score: -16

4:41pm Sat 16 Aug 14

York2000 says...

Fanny Free House - You hijacked this comments thread to moan about the council, and that's now what the comment thread is about.

You and the rest of the anti council posters have plenty of council articles fed to you by the Press, two or three on most days. They've even got the beer reviewer doing it for you. Why can't you just keep to those articles eh, and give everyone else a break?
Fanny Free House - You hijacked this comments thread to moan about the council, and that's now what the comment thread is about. You and the rest of the anti council posters have plenty of council articles fed to you by the Press, two or three on most days. They've even got the beer reviewer doing it for you. Why can't you just keep to those articles eh, and give everyone else a break? York2000
  • Score: 15

6:43pm Sat 16 Aug 14

anotherfloatingvoter says...

York 2000 - Well said!
York 2000 - Well said! anotherfloatingvoter
  • Score: 13

11:25am Sun 17 Aug 14

Scores On The Doors says...

York2000 wrote:
Fanny Free House - You hijacked this comments thread to moan about the council, and that's now what the comment thread is about.

You and the rest of the anti council posters have plenty of council articles fed to you by the Press, two or three on most days. They've even got the beer reviewer doing it for you. Why can't you just keep to those articles eh, and give everyone else a break?
NICE.

Interesting link between this and the letters page.

http://www.yorkpress
.co.uk/features/read
ersletters/11414467.
All_things_NICE_/

Most disgusting.
[quote][p][bold]York2000[/bold] wrote: Fanny Free House - You hijacked this comments thread to moan about the council, and that's now what the comment thread is about. You and the rest of the anti council posters have plenty of council articles fed to you by the Press, two or three on most days. They've even got the beer reviewer doing it for you. Why can't you just keep to those articles eh, and give everyone else a break?[/p][/quote]NICE. Interesting link between this and the letters page. http://www.yorkpress .co.uk/features/read ersletters/11414467. All_things_NICE_/ Most disgusting. Scores On The Doors
  • Score: 10

12:25pm Sun 17 Aug 14

York2000 says...

Scores On The Doors - Thanks for the link. It's all getting a bit UKIP on the Press comments threads... The Press seems determined to show the worst of our city.
Scores On The Doors - Thanks for the link. It's all getting a bit UKIP on the Press comments threads... The Press seems determined to show the worst of our city. York2000
  • Score: 12

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree