New city centre police base officially opened

New city centre police base officially opened

New city centre police base officially opened

First published in News
Last updated
York Press: Photograph of the Author by , Crime reporter

A NEW police base has been set up in the centre of York.

Mill House is the new city centre base for the Safer Neighbourhood Team in North Street, and will allow an inspector, 11 officers, PCSOs, and 15 special constables to work directly from the centre of York, rather than from the force's Fulford Road station.

North Yorkshire Police has taken out a lease on the ground floor of the building for 30 years, and the facility replaces the Clifford Street site, behind York Magistrates' Court, which suffered flood damage and is no longer fit for purpose.

Officers moved into the new premises more than two months ago, but The Press was asked not to report on the new station until it is officially opened this week.

Superintendent Phil Cain, Safer Neighbourhood Commander for York, said the move meant officers could respond quicker to incidents in the city centre, but the station is not open to the public.

He said: “This is a positive move for the team covering the city centre. It means that we have the team in the right place to provide the public and businesses the highest level of service.

"Moving offices was an operational necessity as the old station on Clifford Street was no longer suitable for the modern policing environment. The building was subject to flooding, which causes disruption to policing the city centre. The length of the lease taken on the premises demonstrates our commitment to ensuring we are able to provide policing services in the city centre for the future.”

It is unclear how much the new lease has cost the force, but the official opening comes just weeks after the cancellation of plans to build a new £10m headquarters for North Yorkshire Police in South Kilvington, in favour of sharing existing facilities with Cleveland Police.

Mill House is not open to the public, but anyone wishing to see a police officer in person can make an appointment by phoning 101, or visit the police station on Fulford Road.

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:15am Mon 11 Aug 14

anistasia says...

If your attacked you need a police station you can go into for help but no appointment only through fulford road.seems pointless except you'll have more police quicker on scene of something going down in town.
If your attacked you need a police station you can go into for help but no appointment only through fulford road.seems pointless except you'll have more police quicker on scene of something going down in town. anistasia
  • Score: 4

9:17am Mon 11 Aug 14

Whistlejacket says...

...."Mill House is the new city centre base for the Safer Neighbourhood Team in North Street, and will allow an inspector, 11 officers, PCSOs, and 15 special constables to work directly from the centre of York, rather than from the force's Fulford Road station."
Since it's possible to walk round the city centre all day and never see a uniformed police officer, I assume they were all sitting in the station on Clifford St drinking tea.
I'm sure the new station will have much greater internet bandwidth to allow more efficient web surfing.
With no access to the station for the public, it should now be possible for officers to go a whole shift without encountering the proles who pay their wages.
...."Mill House is the new city centre base for the Safer Neighbourhood Team in North Street, and will allow an inspector, 11 officers, PCSOs, and 15 special constables to work directly from the centre of York, rather than from the force's Fulford Road station." Since it's possible to walk round the city centre all day and never see a uniformed police officer, I assume they were all sitting in the station on Clifford St drinking tea. I'm sure the new station will have much greater internet bandwidth to allow more efficient web surfing. With no access to the station for the public, it should now be possible for officers to go a whole shift without encountering the proles who pay their wages. Whistlejacket
  • Score: 11

9:18am Mon 11 Aug 14

Fat Harry says...

Clearly a sensible move, but why the desire to keep it secret for so long? And why would the Press bend so readily to such a strange request? Since it's not opn to the public the notion of being "officially open" is a nonsense.
Clearly a sensible move, but why the desire to keep it secret for so long? And why would the Press bend so readily to such a strange request? Since it's not opn to the public the notion of being "officially open" is a nonsense. Fat Harry
  • Score: 34

9:23am Mon 11 Aug 14

smudge2 says...

Mill House is not open to the public, but anyone wishing to see a police officer in person can make an appointment by phoning 101, or visit the police station on Fulford Road...Great leap forward for Yorks overweight police force then.
Mill House is not open to the public, but anyone wishing to see a police officer in person can make an appointment by phoning 101, or visit the police station on Fulford Road...Great leap forward for Yorks overweight police force then. smudge2
  • Score: 10

10:28am Mon 11 Aug 14

Ignatius Lumpopo says...

So much for accessibility and accountability. That said, the owner of Mill House will be jolly pleased to be receiving an income again, ever since the council upped-and-offed a couple of years ago...
So much for accessibility and accountability. That said, the owner of Mill House will be jolly pleased to be receiving an income again, ever since the council upped-and-offed a couple of years ago... Ignatius Lumpopo
  • Score: 11

11:24am Mon 11 Aug 14

ian923 says...

"NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!" but appointments can be made by phoning 101 or trailing up to Fulford. Shows the high regard NYP have for the public.
"NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!" but appointments can be made by phoning 101 or trailing up to Fulford. Shows the high regard NYP have for the public. ian923
  • Score: 4

11:33am Mon 11 Aug 14

piaggio1 says...

Dint the stasi operate in this fashion.????
Remember.........the
y dont like us.....
Dint the stasi operate in this fashion.???? Remember.........the y dont like us..... piaggio1
  • Score: -5

12:45pm Mon 11 Aug 14

outofajob says...

Clearly no one who has already posted here has any idea how the police work or what is involved. 12-14 shifts are quite normal when they are rostered on for 8 -10 hours. 6 days of continualy changing shift patterns means they constantly feel tired and a bit of support from the public they serve intstead of posting photos of 'excessivley brutal' arrests would be helpful. I'd like to see all the couch potatoes who spend hours posting inane comments here do the job #joblikenoother
Clearly no one who has already posted here has any idea how the police work or what is involved. 12-14 shifts are quite normal when they are rostered on for 8 -10 hours. 6 days of continualy changing shift patterns means they constantly feel tired and a bit of support from the public they serve intstead of posting photos of 'excessivley brutal' arrests would be helpful. I'd like to see all the couch potatoes who spend hours posting inane comments here do the job #joblikenoother outofajob
  • Score: 8

12:47pm Mon 11 Aug 14

Platform9 says...

"Officer I'd like to report that a person is trying to break into the house over the road"

"Thank you for dialing 101, your appointment with a Police Officer has been booked for next Tuesday at 11am"
"Officer I'd like to report that a person is trying to break into the house over the road" "Thank you for dialing 101, your appointment with a Police Officer has been booked for next Tuesday at 11am" Platform9
  • Score: 0

12:57pm Mon 11 Aug 14

CHISSY1 says...

outofajob wrote:
Clearly no one who has already posted here has any idea how the police work or what is involved. 12-14 shifts are quite normal when they are rostered on for 8 -10 hours. 6 days of continualy changing shift patterns means they constantly feel tired and a bit of support from the public they serve intstead of posting photos of 'excessivley brutal' arrests would be helpful. I'd like to see all the couch potatoes who spend hours posting inane comments here do the job #joblikenoother
Thank you,i have been supporting the police on this site for months.It does not matter what the police do there is always people who will have a dig at them.
[quote][p][bold]outofajob[/bold] wrote: Clearly no one who has already posted here has any idea how the police work or what is involved. 12-14 shifts are quite normal when they are rostered on for 8 -10 hours. 6 days of continualy changing shift patterns means they constantly feel tired and a bit of support from the public they serve intstead of posting photos of 'excessivley brutal' arrests would be helpful. I'd like to see all the couch potatoes who spend hours posting inane comments here do the job #joblikenoother[/p][/quote]Thank you,i have been supporting the police on this site for months.It does not matter what the police do there is always people who will have a dig at them. CHISSY1
  • Score: 1

2:23pm Mon 11 Aug 14

outofajob says...

Platform9 wrote:
"Officer I'd like to report that a person is trying to break into the house over the road"

"Thank you for dialing 101, your appointment with a Police Officer has been booked for next Tuesday at 11am"
This just a ridiculous comment - if you witness a crime in progress you phone 999 - I despair
[quote][p][bold]Platform9[/bold] wrote: "Officer I'd like to report that a person is trying to break into the house over the road" "Thank you for dialing 101, your appointment with a Police Officer has been booked for next Tuesday at 11am"[/p][/quote]This just a ridiculous comment - if you witness a crime in progress you phone 999 - I despair outofajob
  • Score: 9

2:30pm Mon 11 Aug 14

gerry1962 says...

Had to google it to find out where it was - not telling anyone as it's not supposed to be public, LOL!
Had to google it to find out where it was - not telling anyone as it's not supposed to be public, LOL! gerry1962
  • Score: 1

2:33pm Mon 11 Aug 14

smudge2 says...

CHISSY1 wrote:
outofajob wrote:
Clearly no one who has already posted here has any idea how the police work or what is involved. 12-14 shifts are quite normal when they are rostered on for 8 -10 hours. 6 days of continualy changing shift patterns means they constantly feel tired and a bit of support from the public they serve intstead of posting photos of 'excessivley brutal' arrests would be helpful. I'd like to see all the couch potatoes who spend hours posting inane comments here do the job #joblikenoother
Thank you,i have been supporting the police on this site for months.It does not matter what the police do there is always people who will have a dig at them.
Which bit of, when applying for the job that involves 24 hour shift patterns with long hours do they not understand ???. It's like applying for a night watchman's job and then complaining of having to work nights !.
[quote][p][bold]CHISSY1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]outofajob[/bold] wrote: Clearly no one who has already posted here has any idea how the police work or what is involved. 12-14 shifts are quite normal when they are rostered on for 8 -10 hours. 6 days of continualy changing shift patterns means they constantly feel tired and a bit of support from the public they serve intstead of posting photos of 'excessivley brutal' arrests would be helpful. I'd like to see all the couch potatoes who spend hours posting inane comments here do the job #joblikenoother[/p][/quote]Thank you,i have been supporting the police on this site for months.It does not matter what the police do there is always people who will have a dig at them.[/p][/quote]Which bit of, when applying for the job that involves 24 hour shift patterns with long hours do they not understand ???. It's like applying for a night watchman's job and then complaining of having to work nights !. smudge2
  • Score: -20

3:31pm Mon 11 Aug 14

CHISSY1 says...

smudge2 wrote:
CHISSY1 wrote:
outofajob wrote:
Clearly no one who has already posted here has any idea how the police work or what is involved. 12-14 shifts are quite normal when they are rostered on for 8 -10 hours. 6 days of continualy changing shift patterns means they constantly feel tired and a bit of support from the public they serve intstead of posting photos of 'excessivley brutal' arrests would be helpful. I'd like to see all the couch potatoes who spend hours posting inane comments here do the job #joblikenoother
Thank you,i have been supporting the police on this site for months.It does not matter what the police do there is always people who will have a dig at them.
Which bit of, when applying for the job that involves 24 hour shift patterns with long hours do they not understand ???. It's like applying for a night watchman's job and then complaining of having to work nights !.
This is exactly what i mean.
[quote][p][bold]smudge2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CHISSY1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]outofajob[/bold] wrote: Clearly no one who has already posted here has any idea how the police work or what is involved. 12-14 shifts are quite normal when they are rostered on for 8 -10 hours. 6 days of continualy changing shift patterns means they constantly feel tired and a bit of support from the public they serve intstead of posting photos of 'excessivley brutal' arrests would be helpful. I'd like to see all the couch potatoes who spend hours posting inane comments here do the job #joblikenoother[/p][/quote]Thank you,i have been supporting the police on this site for months.It does not matter what the police do there is always people who will have a dig at them.[/p][/quote]Which bit of, when applying for the job that involves 24 hour shift patterns with long hours do they not understand ???. It's like applying for a night watchman's job and then complaining of having to work nights !.[/p][/quote]This is exactly what i mean. CHISSY1
  • Score: 15

3:34pm Mon 11 Aug 14

pedalling paul says...

Who knows but that a front desk for public access will appear some time in the future. Perhaps Julia Mulligan could consider this when she and the Chief Constable next meet.
Who knows but that a front desk for public access will appear some time in the future. Perhaps Julia Mulligan could consider this when she and the Chief Constable next meet. pedalling paul
  • Score: 9

5:10pm Mon 11 Aug 14

smudge2 says...

pedalling paul wrote:
Who knows but that a front desk for public access will appear some time in the future. Perhaps Julia Mulligan could consider this when she and the Chief Constable next meet.
Will the new police station have cycle racks out side for our new pedalling coppers and will they have their trousers tucked in their socks and a brown anorak or proper bike clips and a high viz jacket like they are supposed to wear when cycling Paul. ??
[quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: Who knows but that a front desk for public access will appear some time in the future. Perhaps Julia Mulligan could consider this when she and the Chief Constable next meet.[/p][/quote]Will the new police station have cycle racks out side for our new pedalling coppers and will they have their trousers tucked in their socks and a brown anorak or proper bike clips and a high viz jacket like they are supposed to wear when cycling Paul. ?? smudge2
  • Score: -13

10:03pm Mon 11 Aug 14

spottycow says...

N Y P D need to make savings after MULIGAN spent over 600.000 thousand so NO YOU CANT SEE A POLICE OFFICER
N Y P D need to make savings after MULIGAN spent over 600.000 thousand so NO YOU CANT SEE A POLICE OFFICER spottycow
  • Score: -2

2:50pm Tue 12 Aug 14

Platform9 says...

outofajob wrote:
Platform9 wrote: "Officer I'd like to report that a person is trying to break into the house over the road" "Thank you for dialing 101, your appointment with a Police Officer has been booked for next Tuesday at 11am"
This just a ridiculous comment - if you witness a crime in progress you phone 999 - I despair
read the last sentance of the article again
[quote][p][bold]outofajob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Platform9[/bold] wrote: "Officer I'd like to report that a person is trying to break into the house over the road" "Thank you for dialing 101, your appointment with a Police Officer has been booked for next Tuesday at 11am"[/p][/quote]This just a ridiculous comment - if you witness a crime in progress you phone 999 - I despair[/p][/quote]read the last sentance of the article again Platform9
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree