CHURCH services and vigils in the York Diocese today include:
• York Minster: a service will be held from 8pm to 9pm. There will be 12 candles on the altar and four candelabra and as the service progresses, the lighting will be reduced and the candles extinguished. A vigil of prayer will be held from 9pm to 11pm in St John’s Chapel, with the final two candles extinguished at 11pm.
• St Michael le Belfrey: a candlelit vigil will be held from 8pm with creative stories, music and visuals.
• St Martin le Grand in Coney Street: a service will take place from 10pm to 11pm with prayers, readings, diary extracts, poetry and music.
• St Mary’s in South Milford: there is a service at 7.30pm with music from the early part of the 20th century, readings and reflections.
• St Giles, Copmanthorpe: The church will be open for prayer and remembrance from 11am to 4pm and 6pm to 7pm.