Yorkshire legends become the stars of York Maze

York Press: Brian Blessed who opened the Maze today. Brian Blessed who opened the Maze today.

Yorkshire's alive!

That was the booming message from larger than life performer Brian Blessed as he was given the honour of being the face of York Maze this summer.

The popular actor is one of three county icons to have their face cut of the Elvington corn field, as he joins former England cricket captain Geoffrey Boycott and Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson as the star attractions.

And the performer, 77, of Mexborough, said the pleasure was all his upon his return to his home county. 

He said: "It feels surreal.  I'm surprised to see myself.

"I love Yorkshire, I was Yorkshire born and bred, my uncles were coalminers, and it's great to be back.

"Quite simply, I welcome any opportunity to be in Yorkshire.

"This completes the treble for me because I am already the voice of the Vikings (at Jorvik Viking Centre), and there is a Brian Blessed silent room at York University.

"The maze symbolises the Yorkshire spirit through me.  I embrace the Yorkshire spirit and it embraces me!"

Mr Boycott, a county cricketer for more than two decades, has made a name for himself in recent years for his outspoken views on television and radio commentary.

He added: "It´s very good, it´s definitely me, they´ve caught the chin well, my eyes and the hat.

"It looks enormous. I´ve never had a head as big as here.

"I tell everybody, when I batted I liked a bit of confidence. If I´d have seen this earlier it would have given me confidence.

"I think that kids and families visiting this summer will love it.

"Kids like getting lost, shouting out for their friends, the mums and dads will enjoy it."

Visitors will attempt to successfully navigate their way through the three's faces, which are separated by the famous Yorkshire rose, when the maze opens to the public today.

Organisers are looking to top last year's Doctor Who extravaganza with this year's tribute to Yorkshire, which has been in the pipeline since the end of last year.

Once the plans were finalised, the corn was grown in the field throughout April and May, and the faces were marked by a Global Positioning System (GPS), and cut out.

Tom Pearcey, maze master, added: "We thought with all the stuff about the Tour de France and the buzz about the place, we should do something like this.

"One of the things the county is known for is straight-talking and those who epitomise that straight talking attitude are Geoffrey Boycott, and Jeremy Clarkson doesn't pull any punches, and controversy follows him around.

"Brian is well-known for a loud and outspoken voice."

For more information visit www.yorkmaze.com

 

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:08pm Fri 11 Jul 14

magicadey says...

jeremy clarkson.. really?...
jeremy clarkson.. really?... magicadey
  • Score: 6

4:41pm Fri 11 Jul 14

Woody G Mellor says...

Clarkson??!!! Total To$$er.
Clarkson??!!! Total To$$er. Woody G Mellor
  • Score: 4

4:48pm Fri 11 Jul 14

meinit says...

Way too expensive 2 adults + 2 kids
York maze £46
Easingwold maze £19
I can go to easingwold twice and buy snacks and drinks on those prices
Way too expensive 2 adults + 2 kids York maze £46 Easingwold maze £19 I can go to easingwold twice and buy snacks and drinks on those prices meinit
  • Score: 13

6:21pm Fri 11 Jul 14

tommyjones says...

Why not Brian Clough, Michael Palin or Judi Dench? There are loads of other great Yorkshire men and women more worthy than an arrogant, ignorant clown like Clarkson.
Why not Brian Clough, Michael Palin or Judi Dench? There are loads of other great Yorkshire men and women more worthy than an arrogant, ignorant clown like Clarkson. tommyjones
  • Score: 4

6:42pm Fri 11 Jul 14

nowthen says...

meinit wrote:
Way too expensive 2 adults + 2 kids
York maze £46
Easingwold maze £19
I can go to easingwold twice and buy snacks and drinks on those prices
Some things in York are expensive ; Council tax York Band D £1437 , Council tax Hammersmith Band D £1034 . So that's another £400 out of any housholders pocket for Alexander to squander ; I'd rather have spent it on my family but hey ho the Labour led council's vanity projects take preference.
[quote][p][bold]meinit[/bold] wrote: Way too expensive 2 adults + 2 kids York maze £46 Easingwold maze £19 I can go to easingwold twice and buy snacks and drinks on those prices[/p][/quote]Some things in York are expensive ; Council tax York Band D £1437 , Council tax Hammersmith Band D £1034 . So that's another £400 out of any housholders pocket for Alexander to squander ; I'd rather have spent it on my family but hey ho the Labour led council's vanity projects take preference. nowthen
  • Score: 3

7:06pm Fri 11 Jul 14

magicadey says...

-7 for saying clarkson. really? ok...
-7 for saying clarkson. really? ok... magicadey
  • Score: 7

7:24pm Fri 11 Jul 14

notpedallingpaul says...

Woody G Mellor wrote:
Clarkson??!!! Total To$$er.
You must have a qualification in assessing to$$ers then?, I really don't think Jeremy Clarckson will be bothered in the slightest with your assessment of him do you?
[quote][p][bold]Woody G Mellor[/bold] wrote: Clarkson??!!! Total To$$er.[/p][/quote]You must have a qualification in assessing to$$ers then?, I really don't think Jeremy Clarckson will be bothered in the slightest with your assessment of him do you? notpedallingpaul
  • Score: -1

7:29pm Fri 11 Jul 14

Eenybob says...

Is this really headline news. Tom Pearcy must have strong contacts at the press because every year as soon as the maze opens The Press becomes the Tom Pearcy daily. Appears to me he is just blogging cheap advertising.........
tomorrows news: a mouse has just trumped at York maze.....blah blah blah....#duckfarts
Is this really headline news. Tom Pearcy must have strong contacts at the press because every year as soon as the maze opens The Press becomes the Tom Pearcy daily. Appears to me he is just blogging cheap advertising......... tomorrows news: a mouse has just trumped at York maze.....blah blah blah....#duckfarts Eenybob
  • Score: -3

7:48pm Fri 11 Jul 14

pedalling paul says...

notpedallingpaul wrote:
Woody G Mellor wrote:
Clarkson??!!! Total To$$er.
You must have a qualification in assessing to$$ers then?, I really don't think Jeremy Clarckson will be bothered in the slightest with your assessment of him do you?
Reckon that I should have been included..........
[quote][p][bold]notpedallingpaul[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woody G Mellor[/bold] wrote: Clarkson??!!! Total To$$er.[/p][/quote]You must have a qualification in assessing to$$ers then?, I really don't think Jeremy Clarckson will be bothered in the slightest with your assessment of him do you?[/p][/quote]Reckon that I should have been included.......... pedalling paul
  • Score: 5

8:34pm Fri 11 Jul 14

sheps lad says...

pedalling paul wrote:
notpedallingpaul wrote:
Woody G Mellor wrote:
Clarkson??!!! Total To$$er.
You must have a qualification in assessing to$$ers then?, I really don't think Jeremy Clarckson will be bothered in the slightest with your assessment of him do you?
Reckon that I should have been included..........
As a total tosser? yeah we all agree to that!
[quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notpedallingpaul[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woody G Mellor[/bold] wrote: Clarkson??!!! Total To$$er.[/p][/quote]You must have a qualification in assessing to$$ers then?, I really don't think Jeremy Clarckson will be bothered in the slightest with your assessment of him do you?[/p][/quote]Reckon that I should have been included..........[/p][/quote]As a total tosser? yeah we all agree to that! sheps lad
  • Score: 1

8:54pm Fri 11 Jul 14

notpedallingpaul says...

sheps lad wrote:
pedalling paul wrote:
notpedallingpaul wrote:
Woody G Mellor wrote:
Clarkson??!!! Total To$$er.
You must have a qualification in assessing to$$ers then?, I really don't think Jeremy Clarckson will be bothered in the slightest with your assessment of him do you?
Reckon that I should have been included..........
As a total tosser? yeah we all agree to that!
😃
[quote][p][bold]sheps lad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notpedallingpaul[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woody G Mellor[/bold] wrote: Clarkson??!!! Total To$$er.[/p][/quote]You must have a qualification in assessing to$$ers then?, I really don't think Jeremy Clarckson will be bothered in the slightest with your assessment of him do you?[/p][/quote]Reckon that I should have been included..........[/p][/quote]As a total tosser? yeah we all agree to that![/p][/quote]😃 notpedallingpaul
  • Score: -3

8:54pm Fri 11 Jul 14

CHISSY1 says...

What a bunch of miserable ,pathetic nobody's,.Just be happy for once,i know it must be difficult,but just leave it to your carer.
What a bunch of miserable ,pathetic nobody's,.Just be happy for once,i know it must be difficult,but just leave it to your carer. CHISSY1
  • Score: -6

4:02am Sat 12 Jul 14

Magicman! says...

I was sat out in my garden in Huntington earlier today... I thought I heard something unusual - and now I know what it was, Brian Blessed.
I was sat out in my garden in Huntington earlier today... I thought I heard something unusual - and now I know what it was, Brian Blessed. Magicman!
  • Score: 5

7:10am Sat 12 Jul 14

big boy york says...

strange how we comment on the lendal bridge fiasco
strange how we comment on the lendal bridge fiasco big boy york
  • Score: 1

9:17am Sat 12 Jul 14

bobsuncle says...

Met Brian yesterday at the maze! Lovely man!
Met Brian yesterday at the maze! Lovely man! bobsuncle
  • Score: 10

11:15pm Sat 12 Jul 14

mitch2nd says...

Brian Blessed IS! a Legend in Yorkshire and to me a fellow Yorkshire-man
Brian Blessed IS! a Legend in Yorkshire and to me a fellow Yorkshire-man mitch2nd
  • Score: 5
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree