Sixty-nine jobs to go at York higher education academy

Higher Education Academy

Higher Education Academy

Updated in News

SIXTY-NINE jobs are going at the York-based Higher Education Academy, following Government funding cutbacks.

The academy, based at the York Science Park at Heslington, is set to lose its funding council money by 2017.

Now chief executive Stephanie Marshall has revealed plans to slim down the organisation as well as try to increase overseas income.

Of the 180 staff - about half of whom are based in York - no more than three are being made compulsorily redundant and 66 are taking voluntary redundancy, said director of services Dr Mark Jones.

The employees, who are a mixture of academics and clerical workers, have been offered enhanced redundancy terms and help with re-deployment to other organisations, and will all be gone by next month, he said.

Dr Jones said the academy's grant from the Higher Education Funding Council for England, which currently came to about £8 million and accounted for about 60-65 per cent of its overall income, was being phased out by 2017 because of Government funding cutbacks to the council. Similar cuts were expected to grants from the council's equivalents for Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Now efforts to attract international subscribers and consultancy income would be stepped up and the academy's work would be reduced.

Professor Marshal said it would organise fewer teaching conferences and staff training workshop, and commission less research, as it concentrates on just four priority areas with a demonstrable impact on individuals and institutions.

These are:

  • Improving curriculum design
     
  • promoting student engagement
     
  • exploring how to recruit more socially disadvantaged students
     
  • promoting teaching excellence through the HEA’s awards

Professor Marshall said the academy would be focusing on what the sector needed help with, and avoid getting sidetracked into other areas.

The £2 million, purpose-built academy was opened in 2005 by Bill Rammell, the minister for life-long learning, further and higher education, with a mission to help universities, colleges and their staff to provide the best possible learning experience for students.

It resulted from a merger between three higher education organisations, the Institute for Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, the Learning and Teaching Support Network, and the National Coordination Team.

York was chosen for the HQ because it was equidistant between London and Edinburgh and easily accessible for people across the UK.

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:34am Fri 4 Jul 14

Grumpy Old Man says...

Given the grammar (or lack of it) in today's story about the A64 crash (and the one last week about the cyclist hurt on Haxby Road) I suggest the Press hires some of these staff to teach the people they now employ to write the Queen's English. Plenty of work needs to be done, especially on sentence construction, subjects, verbs and objects. Or is it that as your sub-editors are based in Wales and you have only employed Welsh-speaking ones?
Given the grammar (or lack of it) in today's story about the A64 crash (and the one last week about the cyclist hurt on Haxby Road) I suggest the Press hires some of these staff to teach the people they now employ to write the Queen's English. Plenty of work needs to be done, especially on sentence construction, subjects, verbs and objects. Or is it that as your sub-editors are based in Wales and you have only employed Welsh-speaking ones? Grumpy Old Man
  • Score: 11

5:25pm Fri 4 Jul 14

Pinza-C55 says...

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Given the grammar (or lack of it) in today's story about the A64 crash (and the one last week about the cyclist hurt on Haxby Road) I suggest the Press hires some of these staff to teach the people they now employ to write the Queen's English. Plenty of work needs to be done, especially on sentence construction, subjects, verbs and objects. Or is it that as your sub-editors are based in Wales and you have only employed Welsh-speaking ones?
"Welsh speaking" does not have a hyphen.
[quote][p][bold]Grumpy Old Man[/bold] wrote: Given the grammar (or lack of it) in today's story about the A64 crash (and the one last week about the cyclist hurt on Haxby Road) I suggest the Press hires some of these staff to teach the people they now employ to write the Queen's English. Plenty of work needs to be done, especially on sentence construction, subjects, verbs and objects. Or is it that as your sub-editors are based in Wales and you have only employed Welsh-speaking ones?[/p][/quote]"Welsh speaking" does not have a hyphen. Pinza-C55
  • Score: 2

11:31am Sat 5 Jul 14

andylaw3107 says...

Pinza-C55 wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Given the grammar (or lack of it) in today's story about the A64 crash (and the one last week about the cyclist hurt on Haxby Road) I suggest the Press hires some of these staff to teach the people they now employ to write the Queen's English. Plenty of work needs to be done, especially on sentence construction, subjects, verbs and objects. Or is it that as your sub-editors are based in Wales and you have only employed Welsh-speaking ones?
"Welsh speaking" does not have a hyphen.
In the context "Welsh-speaking ones", "Welsh-speaking" is a compound adjective describing "ones", therefore a hyphen is appropriate. The final sentence did have a stray word though: either "as" or "and" were made redundant by the existence of the other.

In any case, I'm pretty sure the HEA's staff do not (at least solely) comprise proofreaders and English teachers. Teaching what is deemed to be correct English is certainly not the focus of higher education, nor should it be.

It's also a bit misleading to talk about writing 'the Queen's English'. Queen's English is another name for Received Pronunciation, a variety of spoken English that has historically been favoured by the BBC, in doing so blocking representation of other varieties of spoken English. Received Pronunciation has no logical reason to be favoured over any other variety of English, such as Tyneside English or Multicultural London English (also known as Jafaican). However, written English and spoken English are not the same thing. You can represent spoken English in written form, to an extent, but what the original commenter was referring to was not really representing Received Pronunciation in written form, but rather writing clearly and coherently in Standard English (which is not actually a centrally-governed form). Standard English and Received Pronunciation are often associated, but they are not mutually exclusive; they do refer to different things and it is wrong to assume that just because someone has a posh accent they understand the intricacies of Standard English grammar, vocabulary and spelling any better than speakers of other varieties of English.
[quote][p][bold]Pinza-C55[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Grumpy Old Man[/bold] wrote: Given the grammar (or lack of it) in today's story about the A64 crash (and the one last week about the cyclist hurt on Haxby Road) I suggest the Press hires some of these staff to teach the people they now employ to write the Queen's English. Plenty of work needs to be done, especially on sentence construction, subjects, verbs and objects. Or is it that as your sub-editors are based in Wales and you have only employed Welsh-speaking ones?[/p][/quote]"Welsh speaking" does not have a hyphen.[/p][/quote]In the context "Welsh-speaking ones", "Welsh-speaking" is a compound adjective describing "ones", therefore a hyphen is appropriate. The final sentence did have a stray word though: either "as" or "and" were made redundant by the existence of the other. In any case, I'm pretty sure the HEA's staff do not (at least solely) comprise proofreaders and English teachers. Teaching what is deemed to be correct English is certainly not the focus of higher education, nor should it be. It's also a bit misleading to talk about writing 'the Queen's English'. Queen's English is another name for Received Pronunciation, a variety of spoken English that has historically been favoured by the BBC, in doing so blocking representation of other varieties of spoken English. Received Pronunciation has no logical reason to be favoured over any other variety of English, such as Tyneside English or Multicultural London English (also known as Jafaican). However, written English and spoken English are not the same thing. You can represent spoken English in written form, to an extent, but what the original commenter was referring to was not really representing Received Pronunciation in written form, but rather writing clearly and coherently in Standard English (which is not actually a centrally-governed form). Standard English and Received Pronunciation are often associated, but they are not mutually exclusive; they do refer to different things and it is wrong to assume that just because someone has a posh accent they understand the intricacies of Standard English grammar, vocabulary and spelling any better than speakers of other varieties of English. andylaw3107
  • Score: 1

12:52pm Sat 5 Jul 14

andylaw3107 says...

andylaw3107 wrote:
Pinza-C55 wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Given the grammar (or lack of it) in today's story about the A64 crash (and the one last week about the cyclist hurt on Haxby Road) I suggest the Press hires some of these staff to teach the people they now employ to write the Queen's English. Plenty of work needs to be done, especially on sentence construction, subjects, verbs and objects. Or is it that as your sub-editors are based in Wales and you have only employed Welsh-speaking ones?
"Welsh speaking" does not have a hyphen.
In the context "Welsh-speaking ones", "Welsh-speaking" is a compound adjective describing "ones", therefore a hyphen is appropriate. The final sentence did have a stray word though: either "as" or "and" were made redundant by the existence of the other.

In any case, I'm pretty sure the HEA's staff do not (at least solely) comprise proofreaders and English teachers. Teaching what is deemed to be correct English is certainly not the focus of higher education, nor should it be.

It's also a bit misleading to talk about writing 'the Queen's English'. Queen's English is another name for Received Pronunciation, a variety of spoken English that has historically been favoured by the BBC, in doing so blocking representation of other varieties of spoken English. Received Pronunciation has no logical reason to be favoured over any other variety of English, such as Tyneside English or Multicultural London English (also known as Jafaican). However, written English and spoken English are not the same thing. You can represent spoken English in written form, to an extent, but what the original commenter was referring to was not really representing Received Pronunciation in written form, but rather writing clearly and coherently in Standard English (which is not actually a centrally-governed form). Standard English and Received Pronunciation are often associated, but they are not mutually exclusive; they do refer to different things and it is wrong to assume that just because someone has a posh accent they understand the intricacies of Standard English grammar, vocabulary and spelling any better than speakers of other varieties of English.
Mutually inclusive*
[quote][p][bold]andylaw3107[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pinza-C55[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Grumpy Old Man[/bold] wrote: Given the grammar (or lack of it) in today's story about the A64 crash (and the one last week about the cyclist hurt on Haxby Road) I suggest the Press hires some of these staff to teach the people they now employ to write the Queen's English. Plenty of work needs to be done, especially on sentence construction, subjects, verbs and objects. Or is it that as your sub-editors are based in Wales and you have only employed Welsh-speaking ones?[/p][/quote]"Welsh speaking" does not have a hyphen.[/p][/quote]In the context "Welsh-speaking ones", "Welsh-speaking" is a compound adjective describing "ones", therefore a hyphen is appropriate. The final sentence did have a stray word though: either "as" or "and" were made redundant by the existence of the other. In any case, I'm pretty sure the HEA's staff do not (at least solely) comprise proofreaders and English teachers. Teaching what is deemed to be correct English is certainly not the focus of higher education, nor should it be. It's also a bit misleading to talk about writing 'the Queen's English'. Queen's English is another name for Received Pronunciation, a variety of spoken English that has historically been favoured by the BBC, in doing so blocking representation of other varieties of spoken English. Received Pronunciation has no logical reason to be favoured over any other variety of English, such as Tyneside English or Multicultural London English (also known as Jafaican). However, written English and spoken English are not the same thing. You can represent spoken English in written form, to an extent, but what the original commenter was referring to was not really representing Received Pronunciation in written form, but rather writing clearly and coherently in Standard English (which is not actually a centrally-governed form). Standard English and Received Pronunciation are often associated, but they are not mutually exclusive; they do refer to different things and it is wrong to assume that just because someone has a posh accent they understand the intricacies of Standard English grammar, vocabulary and spelling any better than speakers of other varieties of English.[/p][/quote]Mutually inclusive* andylaw3107
  • Score: 0
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree