Italian to open new deli and cafe

Italian to open new deli and cafe

Italian to open new deli and cafe

First published in News
Last updated
York Press: Photograph of the Author by , Business editor

EXPANSION is on the cards for a York Italian restaurant as the family that owns it looks to capitalise on the introduction of 600 new vehicles on their doorstep.

Planning permission has been granted for an extension at Luigis Ristorante in Upper Poppleton to house the business's new delicatessen and cafe.

The plans were submitted as proprietors Angelo and Aisling Gioiello look to draw in new trade from the Poppleton Bar Park and Ride, which opened last week next to their restaurant.

Stephen Cook from Aurora Conservatories, which acted as agents for Luigi's, said: "With the new Park and Ride development being located across from Luigi's, it is inevitable there will be an increase in the number of potential customers being drawn to the local area and a rise in the general footfall passing by the restaurant.

"The applicant feels the deli could make a valuable contribution serving the users of the Park and rise with the sale of coffees, teas, cakes and sandwiches.

"This will add a different element to the strength of the current business and offer employment opportunities locally."

The plans, which have now been approved by City of York Council's planning committee, are for a main deli to be located in a new two-storey building to the southern part of the site, with the deli kitchen and serving counter on the ground floor and a staff room on the second floor along with improved storage for the deli and restaurant.

Between the deli and existing restaurant there will be a glazed walkway to connect the two buildings.

In its application the business said the takeaway element of the operation would be teas and coffees and cold food, and that the delicatessen

and takeaway is the main purpose of the application while the provision of a seating area and cafe would be a secondary element.

The Gioiello's opened Luigi's ten years ago after they converted their home into an Italian restaurant.

They brought in bar and kitchen equipment, including a pizza oven, directly from Italy, and even flew in a tile specialist from Sardinia to lay the granite tile floor.

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:45pm Tue 17 Jun 14

strangebuttrue? says...

Not what York council, or should I say a couple councillors, will want to hear - a business profiting from cars being in the area whatever next? There could be people in them with money to spend horror of horrors!!!!!
Not what York council, or should I say a couple councillors, will want to hear - a business profiting from cars being in the area whatever next? There could be people in them with money to spend horror of horrors!!!!! strangebuttrue?
  • Score: -16

6:28pm Tue 17 Jun 14

anth!! says...

strangebuttrue? wrote:
Not what York council, or should I say a couple councillors, will want to hear - a business profiting from cars being in the area whatever next? There could be people in them with money to spend horror of horrors!!!!!
So another person having a dig at york council, if its that bad living in our wonderful city, move.
[quote][p][bold]strangebuttrue?[/bold] wrote: Not what York council, or should I say a couple councillors, will want to hear - a business profiting from cars being in the area whatever next? There could be people in them with money to spend horror of horrors!!!!![/p][/quote]So another person having a dig at york council, if its that bad living in our wonderful city, move. anth!!
  • Score: 20

6:37pm Tue 17 Jun 14

RingoStarr says...

anth!! wrote:
strangebuttrue? wrote:
Not what York council, or should I say a couple councillors, will want to hear - a business profiting from cars being in the area whatever next? There could be people in them with money to spend horror of horrors!!!!!
So another person having a dig at york council, if its that bad living in our wonderful city, move.
Jawohl, Mein Fuhrer!
[quote][p][bold]anth!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]strangebuttrue?[/bold] wrote: Not what York council, or should I say a couple councillors, will want to hear - a business profiting from cars being in the area whatever next? There could be people in them with money to spend horror of horrors!!!!![/p][/quote]So another person having a dig at york council, if its that bad living in our wonderful city, move.[/p][/quote]Jawohl, Mein Fuhrer! RingoStarr
  • Score: -15

6:41pm Tue 17 Jun 14

anth!! says...

RingoStarr wrote:
anth!! wrote:
strangebuttrue? wrote:
Not what York council, or should I say a couple councillors, will want to hear - a business profiting from cars being in the area whatever next? There could be people in them with money to spend horror of horrors!!!!!
So another person having a dig at york council, if its that bad living in our wonderful city, move.
Jawohl, Mein Fuhrer!
Sake.
[quote][p][bold]RingoStarr[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]anth!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]strangebuttrue?[/bold] wrote: Not what York council, or should I say a couple councillors, will want to hear - a business profiting from cars being in the area whatever next? There could be people in them with money to spend horror of horrors!!!!![/p][/quote]So another person having a dig at york council, if its that bad living in our wonderful city, move.[/p][/quote]Jawohl, Mein Fuhrer![/p][/quote]Sake. anth!!
  • Score: 8

6:53pm Tue 17 Jun 14

ouseswimmer says...

Have they ever managed to get any scores on the door? Last time I looked they had none.
Have they ever managed to get any scores on the door? Last time I looked they had none. ouseswimmer
  • Score: -16

7:49pm Tue 17 Jun 14

eeoodares says...

anth!! wrote:
strangebuttrue? wrote:
Not what York council, or should I say a couple councillors, will want to hear - a business profiting from cars being in the area whatever next? There could be people in them with money to spend horror of horrors!!!!!
So another person having a dig at york council, if its that bad living in our wonderful city, move.
Crikey, is that how you Labourites see democracy now? If you do not like the way we do (or fail to do) things move? I think that you will find that there is an alternative way. The Sword of Damocles is hanging over their entirely incompetent organisation!
[quote][p][bold]anth!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]strangebuttrue?[/bold] wrote: Not what York council, or should I say a couple councillors, will want to hear - a business profiting from cars being in the area whatever next? There could be people in them with money to spend horror of horrors!!!!![/p][/quote]So another person having a dig at york council, if its that bad living in our wonderful city, move.[/p][/quote]Crikey, is that how you Labourites see democracy now? If you do not like the way we do (or fail to do) things move? I think that you will find that there is an alternative way. The Sword of Damocles is hanging over their entirely incompetent organisation! eeoodares
  • Score: -16

6:29am Wed 18 Jun 14

anth!! says...

eeoodares wrote:
anth!! wrote:
strangebuttrue? wrote:
Not what York council, or should I say a couple councillors, will want to hear - a business profiting from cars being in the area whatever next? There could be people in them with money to spend horror of horrors!!!!!
So another person having a dig at york council, if its that bad living in our wonderful city, move.
Crikey, is that how you Labourites see democracy now? If you do not like the way we do (or fail to do) things move? I think that you will find that there is an alternative way. The Sword of Damocles is hanging over their entirely incompetent organisation!
I aint bothered who runs the council, just sick of reading whingeing comments all the time.
[quote][p][bold]eeoodares[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]anth!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]strangebuttrue?[/bold] wrote: Not what York council, or should I say a couple councillors, will want to hear - a business profiting from cars being in the area whatever next? There could be people in them with money to spend horror of horrors!!!!![/p][/quote]So another person having a dig at york council, if its that bad living in our wonderful city, move.[/p][/quote]Crikey, is that how you Labourites see democracy now? If you do not like the way we do (or fail to do) things move? I think that you will find that there is an alternative way. The Sword of Damocles is hanging over their entirely incompetent organisation![/p][/quote]I aint bothered who runs the council, just sick of reading whingeing comments all the time. anth!!
  • Score: 11

8:23am Wed 18 Jun 14

NoNewsIsGoodNews says...

anth!! wrote:
eeoodares wrote:
anth!! wrote:
strangebuttrue? wrote:
Not what York council, or should I say a couple councillors, will want to hear - a business profiting from cars being in the area whatever next? There could be people in them with money to spend horror of horrors!!!!!
So another person having a dig at york council, if its that bad living in our wonderful city, move.
Crikey, is that how you Labourites see democracy now? If you do not like the way we do (or fail to do) things move? I think that you will find that there is an alternative way. The Sword of Damocles is hanging over their entirely incompetent organisation!
I aint bothered who runs the council, just sick of reading whingeing comments all the time.
So another person having a dig at the comments, if its that bad reading our wonderful press comments, stop.
[quote][p][bold]anth!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]eeoodares[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]anth!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]strangebuttrue?[/bold] wrote: Not what York council, or should I say a couple councillors, will want to hear - a business profiting from cars being in the area whatever next? There could be people in them with money to spend horror of horrors!!!!![/p][/quote]So another person having a dig at york council, if its that bad living in our wonderful city, move.[/p][/quote]Crikey, is that how you Labourites see democracy now? If you do not like the way we do (or fail to do) things move? I think that you will find that there is an alternative way. The Sword of Damocles is hanging over their entirely incompetent organisation![/p][/quote]I aint bothered who runs the council, just sick of reading whingeing comments all the time.[/p][/quote]So another person having a dig at the comments, if its that bad reading our wonderful press comments, stop. NoNewsIsGoodNews
  • Score: -7

8:57am Wed 18 Jun 14

pedalling paul says...

strangebuttrue? wrote:
Not what York council, or should I say a couple councillors, will want to hear - a business profiting from cars being in the area whatever next? There could be people in them with money to spend horror of horrors!!!!!
If car users choose to make some of their spend on the City's periphery, so what! The important thing is that they are then encouraged to leave the car at the P&R, and spend yet more in the City centre.
But let's turn this on its head. Residents will now be able to travel to Luigis from a wide area by electric bus, and return home in the same manner without any worries about exceeding the drink drive limit.
And if I correctly recall, there are moves to create a cycle route from Rufforth to York, (crossing the A1237 at Knapton) with a link route via Northfield Lane to the A59 P&R area. So at a pinch one could pedal to & from Luigis from closer by
[quote][p][bold]strangebuttrue?[/bold] wrote: Not what York council, or should I say a couple councillors, will want to hear - a business profiting from cars being in the area whatever next? There could be people in them with money to spend horror of horrors!!!!![/p][/quote]If car users choose to make some of their spend on the City's periphery, so what! The important thing is that they are then encouraged to leave the car at the P&R, and spend yet more in the City centre. But let's turn this on its head. Residents will now be able to travel to Luigis from a wide area by electric bus, and return home in the same manner without any worries about exceeding the drink drive limit. And if I correctly recall, there are moves to create a cycle route from Rufforth to York, (crossing the A1237 at Knapton) with a link route via Northfield Lane to the A59 P&R area. So at a pinch one could pedal to & from Luigis from closer by pedalling paul
  • Score: 11

9:05am Wed 18 Jun 14

MrsHoney says...

Sounds good to me. A nice deli just up the road. :-)
Sounds good to me. A nice deli just up the road. :-) MrsHoney
  • Score: 10

10:42am Wed 18 Jun 14

sounds weird but says...

Great news. Luigis is a fabulous restaurant, so sure the extension will be lovely too!
Great news. Luigis is a fabulous restaurant, so sure the extension will be lovely too! sounds weird but
  • Score: 14

3:13pm Wed 18 Jun 14

Miles Davis says...

Look forward to it. Be nice to have a good cafe and deli on the doorstep! Well done Luigis and well done York Council for approving it. Smart moves all round.
Look forward to it. Be nice to have a good cafe and deli on the doorstep! Well done Luigis and well done York Council for approving it. Smart moves all round. Miles Davis
  • Score: 12

6:54pm Wed 18 Jun 14

anth!! says...

NoNewsIsGoodNews wrote:
anth!! wrote:
eeoodares wrote:
anth!! wrote:
strangebuttrue? wrote:
Not what York council, or should I say a couple councillors, will want to hear - a business profiting from cars being in the area whatever next? There could be people in them with money to spend horror of horrors!!!!!
So another person having a dig at york council, if its that bad living in our wonderful city, move.
Crikey, is that how you Labourites see democracy now? If you do not like the way we do (or fail to do) things move? I think that you will find that there is an alternative way. The Sword of Damocles is hanging over their entirely incompetent organisation!
I aint bothered who runs the council, just sick of reading whingeing comments all the time.
So another person having a dig at the comments, if its that bad reading our wonderful press comments, stop.
Truth hurts.
[quote][p][bold]NoNewsIsGoodNews[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]anth!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]eeoodares[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]anth!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]strangebuttrue?[/bold] wrote: Not what York council, or should I say a couple councillors, will want to hear - a business profiting from cars being in the area whatever next? There could be people in them with money to spend horror of horrors!!!!![/p][/quote]So another person having a dig at york council, if its that bad living in our wonderful city, move.[/p][/quote]Crikey, is that how you Labourites see democracy now? If you do not like the way we do (or fail to do) things move? I think that you will find that there is an alternative way. The Sword of Damocles is hanging over their entirely incompetent organisation![/p][/quote]I aint bothered who runs the council, just sick of reading whingeing comments all the time.[/p][/quote]So another person having a dig at the comments, if its that bad reading our wonderful press comments, stop.[/p][/quote]Truth hurts. anth!!
  • Score: 13

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree