FIRE crews have been called to two kitchen fires in York today.

Crews went to what they thought was an automatic fire alarm on St Benedict's road just before midday, to find a small fire had broken out in a microwave. No fire damage was caused to the flat but firefighters cleared the smoke and gave the elderly female occupant oxygen therapy.

Around two hours later firefighters from Acomb and York went to a home on Front Street, Naburn.

They found a toaster on a wooden tray had been left on top of the electric hob in the kitchen of the terraced cottage, and the hob accidentally switched on.

Fire damage was limited to the tray and toaster, but there was smoke damage to the kitchen and smoke detectors raised the alarm.