York care home suspends workers over claims
Updated 10:22am Saturday 10th May 2014 in News
FOUR members of staff have been suspended at a York care home after a whistleblower raised concerns about the care of residents.
The independent regulator, the Care Quality Commission (CQC), says it carried out an unannounced inspection at the home on April 24 after receiving a complaint but its report on the inspection's findings had not yet been published.
A spokeswoman said three carers and a nurse had been suspended and the concerns raised related to 'manual handling practices' for nine residents.
Felicity Somerville, clinical and operations director for the home's owner, Lifestyle Care plc, said a staff member at Minster Grange had used the firm's whistle-blowing policy to "report a number of areas where they felt that the care was not being delivered in the correct way."
She said: "As a direct result of these allegations, the management team have acted very swiftly and a number of staff have been suspended in line with our disciplinary policy.
"The home is working closely with City of York Council to investigate the claims made and further disciplinary action may be taken as a result."
She said the company placed its residents at the forefront in all it did and it did not tolerate poor practice. "The company take all matters relating to our residents’ care most seriously and we positively encourage staff to come forward and report anything that they feel is contrary to the way staff are trained in best care practice," she said.
"We appreciate that such events may cause our residents and relatives some concerns, but I can confidently reassure everyone that no residents were placed at risk by these incidences."
She said she could not give further detailed information about individual staffing issues but added: "I can assure you that we will take all necessary action to ensure that our residents remain safe, respected and supported to maintain their independence and dignity by a team of well trained staff."