Call for ban on foie gras at York Food Festival

York Press: AWARE: York Food Festival director Michael Hjort AWARE: York Food Festival director Michael Hjort

AN ANIMAL charity is calling on organisers of the York Food Festival this summer not to have foie gras on the menu.

Viva says the festival in June - just before the Tour De France Grand Depart in Yorkshire - will have a French theme but it should still respect York’s 'foie gras free status.'

Campaign manager Justin Kerswell said it was writing to the organisers to ask it to 'make it policy that participants in the festival do not cook or sell the controversial dish.'

He said: "Viva! will also be writing to the local council asking that they enforce the existing ban on selling the famously cruel foodstuff on council owned and operated premises and locations."

He said the production of foie gras was illegal in Britain because it would break existing welfare guidelines but, because of a loophole in trade laws, it was legal to import and sell it in this country.

"In 2007, York made history by becoming the first council in Britain to ban the sale of foie gras at council properties. Viva! is asking the council to stand by this decision and remind the organisers of York Food Festival that foie gras is not welcome in the city."

He said foie gras was typically produced by force feeding ducks or geese such large amounts of food that their livers swelled to up to ten times normal size. "A pipe is shoved down the bird’s oesophagus and food is pumped into the stomach," he said.

“York made cruelty history back in 2007, so it would be a real shame to see foie gras creeping back via the York Food Festival."

He stressed that the move was not anti-French, and Viva! worked closely with groups in France to expose foie gras cruelty.

Festival director Michael Hjort said he did not believe anyone was planning to sell foie gras during the event, and he was aware that the council policy meant it could not be sold on council-owned property.

However, it was not in his powers to tell anyone they could not do something in their hotel, restaurant or private property if it was within the law.

Comments (40)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:58am Wed 30 Apr 14

Boadicea says...

York (or anywhere else) should have nothing to do with foie gras, which involves the cruel practice of force feeding geese by forcing food down their throat with a pipe, whether or not we offend the French.
York (or anywhere else) should have nothing to do with foie gras, which involves the cruel practice of force feeding geese by forcing food down their throat with a pipe, whether or not we offend the French. Boadicea
  • Score: 31

10:13am Wed 30 Apr 14

Overproof says...

Agreed, lets have a great food festival without 1 or 2 places spoiling it by selling cruel foie gras.
Agreed, lets have a great food festival without 1 or 2 places spoiling it by selling cruel foie gras. Overproof
  • Score: 21

10:14am Wed 30 Apr 14

Old_Man says...

Foie gras is delicious. Who are you to tell people what they can and can't eat? Paul Blanchard is thankfully long gone from York. It seems his fascist views live on.
Foie gras is delicious. Who are you to tell people what they can and can't eat? Paul Blanchard is thankfully long gone from York. It seems his fascist views live on. Old_Man
  • Score: -15

10:21am Wed 30 Apr 14

Overproof says...

Nowt to do with Blanchard, and the "views" that you refer to are more accurately described as the "mass majority public opinion".
Nowt to do with Blanchard, and the "views" that you refer to are more accurately described as the "mass majority public opinion". Overproof
  • Score: 27

10:24am Wed 30 Apr 14

Old_Man says...

How do you know what the "mass majority public opinion" is? Have you conducted some research? Or by "mass majority" did you mean a few animal rights freaks standing outside a restaurant with badly spelt placards? I'm certainly gonna enjoy some foie gras if possible and no fascist is gonna stop me.
How do you know what the "mass majority public opinion" is? Have you conducted some research? Or by "mass majority" did you mean a few animal rights freaks standing outside a restaurant with badly spelt placards? I'm certainly gonna enjoy some foie gras if possible and no fascist is gonna stop me. Old_Man
  • Score: -15

10:35am Wed 30 Apr 14

anti-rant says...

Old_Man wrote:
Foie gras is delicious. Who are you to tell people what they can and can't eat? Paul Blanchard is thankfully long gone from York. It seems his fascist views live on.
This is not about eating goose liver, it is about the practice for making foie gras which is considered cruel. The UK has a long tradition of protecting animal rights, whether they be for the table or as a pet.
[quote][p][bold]Old_Man[/bold] wrote: Foie gras is delicious. Who are you to tell people what they can and can't eat? Paul Blanchard is thankfully long gone from York. It seems his fascist views live on.[/p][/quote]This is not about eating goose liver, it is about the practice for making foie gras which is considered cruel. The UK has a long tradition of protecting animal rights, whether they be for the table or as a pet. anti-rant
  • Score: 25

10:41am Wed 30 Apr 14

BL2 says...

If you remember the protest about it outside the Blue Bicycle contained about 5 people max! Hardly a mass majority... I'd happily try it!
If you remember the protest about it outside the Blue Bicycle contained about 5 people max! Hardly a mass majority... I'd happily try it! BL2
  • Score: 3

11:10am Wed 30 Apr 14

whitehorse says...

What about my human right to enjoy foie gras. Fact of the matter is, these geese are going to be butchered anyway. So what the hell does it matter. At least they're being fed. And until a goose sits down and writes a brooding poem about its feelings on its cruel treatment, agony and fears over its impending death, I don't give a ****. I think its more cruel to give animals a spectacularly happy existence, with loads of room to run around and enjoy themselves and good grub. So much more to lose when they reach the final destination and get a bolt gun to the backs of their heads.
What about my human right to enjoy foie gras. Fact of the matter is, these geese are going to be butchered anyway. So what the hell does it matter. At least they're being fed. And until a goose sits down and writes a brooding poem about its feelings on its cruel treatment, agony and fears over its impending death, I don't give a ****. I think its more cruel to give animals a spectacularly happy existence, with loads of room to run around and enjoy themselves and good grub. So much more to lose when they reach the final destination and get a bolt gun to the backs of their heads. whitehorse
  • Score: -22

11:16am Wed 30 Apr 14

Frenchlife says...

Has anyone who is talking about banning Foie Gras ever been to France and seen what happens ? Seen the reactions of the animals ? Until you have do not listen to others, go and see it for yourself
Has anyone who is talking about banning Foie Gras ever been to France and seen what happens ? Seen the reactions of the animals ? Until you have do not listen to others, go and see it for yourself Frenchlife
  • Score: 17

12:29pm Wed 30 Apr 14

TheTruthHurts says...

Well there does seem to be a lot more publicity and clout to the foie gras campaign, than other practices. I watched a documentary on it some while back that was fairly well balanced and its not for me. But i have a few pets, contact with lots of wildlife and love animals.

Now on whether i think that it should be banned. I dont know. Its a french thing and there are worse in other cultures. but equally i wouldnt really want to encourage it :-)
Well there does seem to be a lot more publicity and clout to the foie gras campaign, than other practices. I watched a documentary on it some while back that was fairly well balanced and its not for me. But i have a few pets, contact with lots of wildlife and love animals. Now on whether i think that it should be banned. I dont know. Its a french thing and there are worse in other cultures. but equally i wouldnt really want to encourage it :-) TheTruthHurts
  • Score: 9

12:36pm Wed 30 Apr 14

P3TER1 says...

Foie Gras production: https://www.youtube.
com/watch?v=Ojvu7qHW
qoM
Foie Gras production: https://www.youtube. com/watch?v=Ojvu7qHW qoM P3TER1
  • Score: -1

12:38pm Wed 30 Apr 14

P3TER1 says...

https://www.youtube.
com/watch?v=Ojvu7qHW
qoM
https://www.youtube. com/watch?v=Ojvu7qHW qoM P3TER1
  • Score: -1

12:49pm Wed 30 Apr 14

BKKYorkshireboy says...

whitehorse wrote:
What about my human right to enjoy foie gras. Fact of the matter is, these geese are going to be butchered anyway. So what the hell does it matter. At least they're being fed. And until a goose sits down and writes a brooding poem about its feelings on its cruel treatment, agony and fears over its impending death, I don't give a ****. I think its more cruel to give animals a spectacularly happy existence, with loads of room to run around and enjoy themselves and good grub. So much more to lose when they reach the final destination and get a bolt gun to the backs of their heads.
Wind up merchant.

The production of this product is an inherently cruel and entirely unnecessary process. Up there with shark fin soup if you ask me..
I love meat but only buy meat where the animal has had a decent life (intensive pig farming is Europe is horrendous) and a non-halal slaughter. I only buy free range eggs as battery caged poultry farming is a also a horrible practice. I don't mind spending 30-40% more for any animal produce that has been produced in an ethical manner.
[quote][p][bold]whitehorse[/bold] wrote: What about my human right to enjoy foie gras. Fact of the matter is, these geese are going to be butchered anyway. So what the hell does it matter. At least they're being fed. And until a goose sits down and writes a brooding poem about its feelings on its cruel treatment, agony and fears over its impending death, I don't give a ****. I think its more cruel to give animals a spectacularly happy existence, with loads of room to run around and enjoy themselves and good grub. So much more to lose when they reach the final destination and get a bolt gun to the backs of their heads.[/p][/quote]Wind up merchant. The production of this product is an inherently cruel and entirely unnecessary process. Up there with shark fin soup if you ask me.. I love meat but only buy meat where the animal has had a decent life (intensive pig farming is Europe is horrendous) and a non-halal slaughter. I only buy free range eggs as battery caged poultry farming is a also a horrible practice. I don't mind spending 30-40% more for any animal produce that has been produced in an ethical manner. BKKYorkshireboy
  • Score: 15

2:05pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Old_Man says...

I can't wait to enjoy some pate du foie gras with a nice French wine to celebrate Le Tour coming to York. All you moaners are missing out on some great food!
I can't wait to enjoy some pate du foie gras with a nice French wine to celebrate Le Tour coming to York. All you moaners are missing out on some great food! Old_Man
  • Score: -15

2:34pm Wed 30 Apr 14

eeoodares says...

Foie Gras is not something I enjoy I also think it is cruel and would love to see the end of its production.

My problem comes when 'activists' decide to pressure businesses to take their view on the world. If it is legal then people must be allowed to sell and consume it. If Viva want to change the law, there is a process to do that in this Country, preventing people going about their lawful business is not one of them.
Foie Gras is not something I enjoy I also think it is cruel and would love to see the end of its production. My problem comes when 'activists' decide to pressure businesses to take their view on the world. If it is legal then people must be allowed to sell and consume it. If Viva want to change the law, there is a process to do that in this Country, preventing people going about their lawful business is not one of them. eeoodares
  • Score: 11

2:38pm Wed 30 Apr 14

eeoodares says...

BKKYorkshireboy wrote:
whitehorse wrote:
What about my human right to enjoy foie gras. Fact of the matter is, these geese are going to be butchered anyway. So what the hell does it matter. At least they're being fed. And until a goose sits down and writes a brooding poem about its feelings on its cruel treatment, agony and fears over its impending death, I don't give a ****. I think its more cruel to give animals a spectacularly happy existence, with loads of room to run around and enjoy themselves and good grub. So much more to lose when they reach the final destination and get a bolt gun to the backs of their heads.
Wind up merchant.

The production of this product is an inherently cruel and entirely unnecessary process. Up there with shark fin soup if you ask me..
I love meat but only buy meat where the animal has had a decent life (intensive pig farming is Europe is horrendous) and a non-halal slaughter. I only buy free range eggs as battery caged poultry farming is a also a horrible practice. I don't mind spending 30-40% more for any animal produce that has been produced in an ethical manner.
Non-halal slaughter? What is your method...gassing, electrocution, beheading, roadkill, old age?
[quote][p][bold]BKKYorkshireboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]whitehorse[/bold] wrote: What about my human right to enjoy foie gras. Fact of the matter is, these geese are going to be butchered anyway. So what the hell does it matter. At least they're being fed. And until a goose sits down and writes a brooding poem about its feelings on its cruel treatment, agony and fears over its impending death, I don't give a ****. I think its more cruel to give animals a spectacularly happy existence, with loads of room to run around and enjoy themselves and good grub. So much more to lose when they reach the final destination and get a bolt gun to the backs of their heads.[/p][/quote]Wind up merchant. The production of this product is an inherently cruel and entirely unnecessary process. Up there with shark fin soup if you ask me.. I love meat but only buy meat where the animal has had a decent life (intensive pig farming is Europe is horrendous) and a non-halal slaughter. I only buy free range eggs as battery caged poultry farming is a also a horrible practice. I don't mind spending 30-40% more for any animal produce that has been produced in an ethical manner.[/p][/quote]Non-halal slaughter? What is your method...gassing, electrocution, beheading, roadkill, old age? eeoodares
  • Score: -12

2:58pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Overproof says...

eeoodares wrote:
Foie Gras is not something I enjoy I also think it is cruel and would love to see the end of its production.

My problem comes when 'activists' decide to pressure businesses to take their view on the world. If it is legal then people must be allowed to sell and consume it. If Viva want to change the law, there is a process to do that in this Country, preventing people going about their lawful business is not one of them.
The thing is that it would not be legal in this country if we were not in the EU.

The majority are opposed to foie gras, as many surveys have found
- and it is totally illegal to produce this product in the UK, but due to the EU single market, the import of it cannot be stopped. Legal by loophole, that is all.
[quote][p][bold]eeoodares[/bold] wrote: Foie Gras is not something I enjoy I also think it is cruel and would love to see the end of its production. My problem comes when 'activists' decide to pressure businesses to take their view on the world. If it is legal then people must be allowed to sell and consume it. If Viva want to change the law, there is a process to do that in this Country, preventing people going about their lawful business is not one of them.[/p][/quote]The thing is that it would not be legal in this country if we were not in the EU. The majority are opposed to foie gras, as many surveys have found - and it is totally illegal to produce this product in the UK, but due to the EU single market, the import of it cannot be stopped. Legal by loophole, that is all. Overproof
  • Score: 3

3:13pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Old_Man says...

Why don't you spend your time concentrating on things that really matter instead of trying to spoil peoples fun?
Why don't you spend your time concentrating on things that really matter instead of trying to spoil peoples fun? Old_Man
  • Score: -12

3:59pm Wed 30 Apr 14

whitehorse says...

It's a personal choice. As other commentators have pointed out, eating foie gras is a choice and I take the same exception to the animal rights protesters as I do to the anti-smoking brigade, those that advocate temperance, christians who burn Beatles records and protest against Jerry Springer operas and other faith's that spit in women's faces for wearing short skirts. We may live in a 'post-Christian' country (thank you Dr Williams) but we also live in a pro-choice country. I choose, on the occasions that I am in France, to enjoy foie gras. I'd love to eat it in England. I've also eaten and enjoyed the sweet, big-eyed, tender calves bread for veal. Now, does anyone want to start on me- or are you too busy enforcing your beliefs elsewhere?
It's a personal choice. As other commentators have pointed out, eating foie gras is a choice and I take the same exception to the animal rights protesters as I do to the anti-smoking brigade, those that advocate temperance, christians who burn Beatles records and protest against Jerry Springer operas and other faith's that spit in women's faces for wearing short skirts. We may live in a 'post-Christian' country (thank you Dr Williams) but we also live in a pro-choice country. I choose, on the occasions that I am in France, to enjoy foie gras. I'd love to eat it in England. I've also eaten and enjoyed the sweet, big-eyed, tender calves bread for veal. Now, does anyone want to start on me- or are you too busy enforcing your beliefs elsewhere? whitehorse
  • Score: 4

4:57pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Boadicea says...

Old_Man wrote:
Why don't you spend your time concentrating on things that really matter instead of trying to spoil peoples fun?
It isn't much fun for the geese.
[quote][p][bold]Old_Man[/bold] wrote: Why don't you spend your time concentrating on things that really matter instead of trying to spoil peoples fun?[/p][/quote]It isn't much fun for the geese. Boadicea
  • Score: 9

4:58pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Boadicea says...

Old_Man wrote:
Why don't you spend your time concentrating on things that really matter instead of trying to spoil peoples fun?
It isn't much fun for the geese.
[quote][p][bold]Old_Man[/bold] wrote: Why don't you spend your time concentrating on things that really matter instead of trying to spoil peoples fun?[/p][/quote]It isn't much fun for the geese. Boadicea
  • Score: 8

5:00pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Boadicea says...

whitehorse wrote:
It's a personal choice. As other commentators have pointed out, eating foie gras is a choice and I take the same exception to the animal rights protesters as I do to the anti-smoking brigade, those that advocate temperance, christians who burn Beatles records and protest against Jerry Springer operas and other faith's that spit in women's faces for wearing short skirts. We may live in a 'post-Christian' country (thank you Dr Williams) but we also live in a pro-choice country. I choose, on the occasions that I am in France, to enjoy foie gras. I'd love to eat it in England. I've also eaten and enjoyed the sweet, big-eyed, tender calves bread for veal. Now, does anyone want to start on me- or are you too busy enforcing your beliefs elsewhere?
It isn't a belief, its nothing but cruelty to geese.
[quote][p][bold]whitehorse[/bold] wrote: It's a personal choice. As other commentators have pointed out, eating foie gras is a choice and I take the same exception to the animal rights protesters as I do to the anti-smoking brigade, those that advocate temperance, christians who burn Beatles records and protest against Jerry Springer operas and other faith's that spit in women's faces for wearing short skirts. We may live in a 'post-Christian' country (thank you Dr Williams) but we also live in a pro-choice country. I choose, on the occasions that I am in France, to enjoy foie gras. I'd love to eat it in England. I've also eaten and enjoyed the sweet, big-eyed, tender calves bread for veal. Now, does anyone want to start on me- or are you too busy enforcing your beliefs elsewhere?[/p][/quote]It isn't a belief, its nothing but cruelty to geese. Boadicea
  • Score: 11

6:10pm Wed 30 Apr 14

eeoodares says...

Overproof wrote:
eeoodares wrote:
Foie Gras is not something I enjoy I also think it is cruel and would love to see the end of its production.

My problem comes when 'activists' decide to pressure businesses to take their view on the world. If it is legal then people must be allowed to sell and consume it. If Viva want to change the law, there is a process to do that in this Country, preventing people going about their lawful business is not one of them.
The thing is that it would not be legal in this country if we were not in the EU.

The majority are opposed to foie gras, as many surveys have found
- and it is totally illegal to produce this product in the UK, but due to the EU single market, the import of it cannot be stopped. Legal by loophole, that is all.
Like I said, change the law close the loophole. 'Activists' must not be allowed to dictate why people can or can not do.

It is one short step from digging up the bones of your deceased gran and holding them to ransom.
[quote][p][bold]Overproof[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]eeoodares[/bold] wrote: Foie Gras is not something I enjoy I also think it is cruel and would love to see the end of its production. My problem comes when 'activists' decide to pressure businesses to take their view on the world. If it is legal then people must be allowed to sell and consume it. If Viva want to change the law, there is a process to do that in this Country, preventing people going about their lawful business is not one of them.[/p][/quote]The thing is that it would not be legal in this country if we were not in the EU. The majority are opposed to foie gras, as many surveys have found - and it is totally illegal to produce this product in the UK, but due to the EU single market, the import of it cannot be stopped. Legal by loophole, that is all.[/p][/quote]Like I said, change the law close the loophole. 'Activists' must not be allowed to dictate why people can or can not do. It is one short step from digging up the bones of your deceased gran and holding them to ransom. eeoodares
  • Score: 2

7:33pm Wed 30 Apr 14

pault42 says...

BKKYorkshireboy wrote:
whitehorse wrote:
What about my human right to enjoy foie gras. Fact of the matter is, these geese are going to be butchered anyway. So what the hell does it matter. At least they're being fed. And until a goose sits down and writes a brooding poem about its feelings on its cruel treatment, agony and fears over its impending death, I don't give a ****. I think its more cruel to give animals a spectacularly happy existence, with loads of room to run around and enjoy themselves and good grub. So much more to lose when they reach the final destination and get a bolt gun to the backs of their heads.
Wind up merchant.

The production of this product is an inherently cruel and entirely unnecessary process. Up there with shark fin soup if you ask me..
I love meat but only buy meat where the animal has had a decent life (intensive pig farming is Europe is horrendous) and a non-halal slaughter. I only buy free range eggs as battery caged poultry farming is a also a horrible practice. I don't mind spending 30-40% more for any animal produce that has been produced in an ethical manner.
Glad you can afford to spend 30-40% more, most people can't. and your comment makes very little sense in relation to the article. Foie Gras is dashed expensive so are you saying you don't mind paying more because its expensive?

Anyway, I won't go into the animal rights arguments here, because that could only ever lead one way, vegetarianism. Nothing wrong with that but why should they force their views down our throats, hang on that's what the debates about...

Ah well, Brits open to other cultures as ever. I for one love the stuff.
[quote][p][bold]BKKYorkshireboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]whitehorse[/bold] wrote: What about my human right to enjoy foie gras. Fact of the matter is, these geese are going to be butchered anyway. So what the hell does it matter. At least they're being fed. And until a goose sits down and writes a brooding poem about its feelings on its cruel treatment, agony and fears over its impending death, I don't give a ****. I think its more cruel to give animals a spectacularly happy existence, with loads of room to run around and enjoy themselves and good grub. So much more to lose when they reach the final destination and get a bolt gun to the backs of their heads.[/p][/quote]Wind up merchant. The production of this product is an inherently cruel and entirely unnecessary process. Up there with shark fin soup if you ask me.. I love meat but only buy meat where the animal has had a decent life (intensive pig farming is Europe is horrendous) and a non-halal slaughter. I only buy free range eggs as battery caged poultry farming is a also a horrible practice. I don't mind spending 30-40% more for any animal produce that has been produced in an ethical manner.[/p][/quote]Glad you can afford to spend 30-40% more, most people can't. and your comment makes very little sense in relation to the article. Foie Gras is dashed expensive so are you saying you don't mind paying more because its expensive? Anyway, I won't go into the animal rights arguments here, because that could only ever lead one way, vegetarianism. Nothing wrong with that but why should they force their views down our throats, hang on that's what the debates about... Ah well, Brits open to other cultures as ever. I for one love the stuff. pault42
  • Score: 0

8:20pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Boadicea says...

It doesn't lead to vegetarianism, just that food be produced in a non-cruel way.
It doesn't lead to vegetarianism, just that food be produced in a non-cruel way. Boadicea
  • Score: 4

8:37pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Back and Beyond says...

I think force feeding the residents of York a diet of Tour de France is cruel....like fois gras it's expensive.
I think force feeding the residents of York a diet of Tour de France is cruel....like fois gras it's expensive. Back and Beyond
  • Score: 14

7:54am Thu 1 May 14

Johnboy1946 says...

whitehorse wrote:
It's a personal choice. As other commentators have pointed out, eating foie gras is a choice and I take the same exception to the animal rights protesters as I do to the anti-smoking brigade, those that advocate temperance, christians who burn Beatles records and protest against Jerry Springer operas and other faith's that spit in women's faces for wearing short skirts. We may live in a 'post-Christian' country (thank you Dr Williams) but we also live in a pro-choice country. I choose, on the occasions that I am in France, to enjoy foie gras. I'd love to eat it in England. I've also eaten and enjoyed the sweet, big-eyed, tender calves bread for veal. Now, does anyone want to start on me- or are you too busy enforcing your beliefs elsewhere?
It seems you are enforcing your beliefs here.
[quote][p][bold]whitehorse[/bold] wrote: It's a personal choice. As other commentators have pointed out, eating foie gras is a choice and I take the same exception to the animal rights protesters as I do to the anti-smoking brigade, those that advocate temperance, christians who burn Beatles records and protest against Jerry Springer operas and other faith's that spit in women's faces for wearing short skirts. We may live in a 'post-Christian' country (thank you Dr Williams) but we also live in a pro-choice country. I choose, on the occasions that I am in France, to enjoy foie gras. I'd love to eat it in England. I've also eaten and enjoyed the sweet, big-eyed, tender calves bread for veal. Now, does anyone want to start on me- or are you too busy enforcing your beliefs elsewhere?[/p][/quote]It seems you are enforcing your beliefs here. Johnboy1946
  • Score: 4

8:18am Thu 1 May 14

Chris HM says...

Old_Man wrote:
Why don't you spend your time concentrating on things that really matter instead of trying to spoil peoples fun?
Have you actually looked at the footage shown on the You Tube link. I bet you haven't....why don't you take a look and then come back and then make an informed comment.???
[quote][p][bold]Old_Man[/bold] wrote: Why don't you spend your time concentrating on things that really matter instead of trying to spoil peoples fun?[/p][/quote]Have you actually looked at the footage shown on the You Tube link. I bet you haven't....why don't you take a look and then come back and then make an informed comment.??? Chris HM
  • Score: -1

8:57am Thu 1 May 14

Boadicea says...

Johnboy1946 wrote:
whitehorse wrote:
It's a personal choice. As other commentators have pointed out, eating foie gras is a choice and I take the same exception to the animal rights protesters as I do to the anti-smoking brigade, those that advocate temperance, christians who burn Beatles records and protest against Jerry Springer operas and other faith's that spit in women's faces for wearing short skirts. We may live in a 'post-Christian' country (thank you Dr Williams) but we also live in a pro-choice country. I choose, on the occasions that I am in France, to enjoy foie gras. I'd love to eat it in England. I've also eaten and enjoyed the sweet, big-eyed, tender calves bread for veal. Now, does anyone want to start on me- or are you too busy enforcing your beliefs elsewhere?
It seems you are enforcing your beliefs here.
Johnboy46 - Cruelty to animals should not be a personal choice, the other things you mention have no comparison with the production of foie gras.
[quote][p][bold]Johnboy1946[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]whitehorse[/bold] wrote: It's a personal choice. As other commentators have pointed out, eating foie gras is a choice and I take the same exception to the animal rights protesters as I do to the anti-smoking brigade, those that advocate temperance, christians who burn Beatles records and protest against Jerry Springer operas and other faith's that spit in women's faces for wearing short skirts. We may live in a 'post-Christian' country (thank you Dr Williams) but we also live in a pro-choice country. I choose, on the occasions that I am in France, to enjoy foie gras. I'd love to eat it in England. I've also eaten and enjoyed the sweet, big-eyed, tender calves bread for veal. Now, does anyone want to start on me- or are you too busy enforcing your beliefs elsewhere?[/p][/quote]It seems you are enforcing your beliefs here.[/p][/quote]Johnboy46 - Cruelty to animals should not be a personal choice, the other things you mention have no comparison with the production of foie gras. Boadicea
  • Score: 3

9:51am Thu 1 May 14

MrsHoney says...

I'm hoping that those endorsing foie gras with such relish are doing it out of some perverse desire to **** people off. If you genuinely find it amusing that an animal is force fed just to produce pate then there is something seriously wrong with your morality. Just because other countries have poor animal welfare standards it doesn't mean we should follow suit. There is no excuse for the exploitation of animals just to satisfy the greed of man. Free range well cared for animals is what we should all be aiming for and supporting. To do anything else suggests a selfish and cruel nature, what a shame we can't rid ourselves of these people from society.
I'm hoping that those endorsing foie gras with such relish are doing it out of some perverse desire to **** people off. If you genuinely find it amusing that an animal is force fed just to produce pate then there is something seriously wrong with your morality. Just because other countries have poor animal welfare standards it doesn't mean we should follow suit. There is no excuse for the exploitation of animals just to satisfy the greed of man. Free range well cared for animals is what we should all be aiming for and supporting. To do anything else suggests a selfish and cruel nature, what a shame we can't rid ourselves of these people from society. MrsHoney
  • Score: 2

10:39am Thu 1 May 14

Boadicea says...

MrsHoney wrote:
I'm hoping that those endorsing foie gras with such relish are doing it out of some perverse desire to **** people off. If you genuinely find it amusing that an animal is force fed just to produce pate then there is something seriously wrong with your morality. Just because other countries have poor animal welfare standards it doesn't mean we should follow suit. There is no excuse for the exploitation of animals just to satisfy the greed of man. Free range well cared for animals is what we should all be aiming for and supporting. To do anything else suggests a selfish and cruel nature, what a shame we can't rid ourselves of these people from society.
My thoughts entirely, animals should al be protected against these mindless, cruel people.
[quote][p][bold]MrsHoney[/bold] wrote: I'm hoping that those endorsing foie gras with such relish are doing it out of some perverse desire to **** people off. If you genuinely find it amusing that an animal is force fed just to produce pate then there is something seriously wrong with your morality. Just because other countries have poor animal welfare standards it doesn't mean we should follow suit. There is no excuse for the exploitation of animals just to satisfy the greed of man. Free range well cared for animals is what we should all be aiming for and supporting. To do anything else suggests a selfish and cruel nature, what a shame we can't rid ourselves of these people from society.[/p][/quote]My thoughts entirely, animals should al be protected against these mindless, cruel people. Boadicea
  • Score: 0

11:29am Thu 1 May 14

BKKYorkshireboy says...

eeoodares wrote:
BKKYorkshireboy wrote:
whitehorse wrote:
What about my human right to enjoy foie gras. Fact of the matter is, these geese are going to be butchered anyway. So what the hell does it matter. At least they're being fed. And until a goose sits down and writes a brooding poem about its feelings on its cruel treatment, agony and fears over its impending death, I don't give a ****. I think its more cruel to give animals a spectacularly happy existence, with loads of room to run around and enjoy themselves and good grub. So much more to lose when they reach the final destination and get a bolt gun to the backs of their heads.
Wind up merchant.

The production of this product is an inherently cruel and entirely unnecessary process. Up there with shark fin soup if you ask me..
I love meat but only buy meat where the animal has had a decent life (intensive pig farming is Europe is horrendous) and a non-halal slaughter. I only buy free range eggs as battery caged poultry farming is a also a horrible practice. I don't mind spending 30-40% more for any animal produce that has been produced in an ethical manner.
Non-halal slaughter? What is your method...gassing, electrocution, beheading, roadkill, old age?
Slaughter where the animal is stunned first before it's throat is cut.. I don't agree in slitting an unharmed animal's throat as a way of killing it as I think it is a horrible death. This is the way the majority of livestock is killed. ie "non" Halal.

I don't understand your comment to be honest.
[quote][p][bold]eeoodares[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BKKYorkshireboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]whitehorse[/bold] wrote: What about my human right to enjoy foie gras. Fact of the matter is, these geese are going to be butchered anyway. So what the hell does it matter. At least they're being fed. And until a goose sits down and writes a brooding poem about its feelings on its cruel treatment, agony and fears over its impending death, I don't give a ****. I think its more cruel to give animals a spectacularly happy existence, with loads of room to run around and enjoy themselves and good grub. So much more to lose when they reach the final destination and get a bolt gun to the backs of their heads.[/p][/quote]Wind up merchant. The production of this product is an inherently cruel and entirely unnecessary process. Up there with shark fin soup if you ask me.. I love meat but only buy meat where the animal has had a decent life (intensive pig farming is Europe is horrendous) and a non-halal slaughter. I only buy free range eggs as battery caged poultry farming is a also a horrible practice. I don't mind spending 30-40% more for any animal produce that has been produced in an ethical manner.[/p][/quote]Non-halal slaughter? What is your method...gassing, electrocution, beheading, roadkill, old age?[/p][/quote]Slaughter where the animal is stunned first before it's throat is cut.. I don't agree in slitting an unharmed animal's throat as a way of killing it as I think it is a horrible death. This is the way the majority of livestock is killed. ie "non" Halal. I don't understand your comment to be honest. BKKYorkshireboy
  • Score: 0

11:39am Thu 1 May 14

BKKYorkshireboy says...

pault42 wrote:
BKKYorkshireboy wrote:
whitehorse wrote:
What about my human right to enjoy foie gras. Fact of the matter is, these geese are going to be butchered anyway. So what the hell does it matter. At least they're being fed. And until a goose sits down and writes a brooding poem about its feelings on its cruel treatment, agony and fears over its impending death, I don't give a ****. I think its more cruel to give animals a spectacularly happy existence, with loads of room to run around and enjoy themselves and good grub. So much more to lose when they reach the final destination and get a bolt gun to the backs of their heads.
Wind up merchant.

The production of this product is an inherently cruel and entirely unnecessary process. Up there with shark fin soup if you ask me..
I love meat but only buy meat where the animal has had a decent life (intensive pig farming is Europe is horrendous) and a non-halal slaughter. I only buy free range eggs as battery caged poultry farming is a also a horrible practice. I don't mind spending 30-40% more for any animal produce that has been produced in an ethical manner.
Glad you can afford to spend 30-40% more, most people can't. and your comment makes very little sense in relation to the article. Foie Gras is dashed expensive so are you saying you don't mind paying more because its expensive?

Anyway, I won't go into the animal rights arguments here, because that could only ever lead one way, vegetarianism. Nothing wrong with that but why should they force their views down our throats, hang on that's what the debates about...

Ah well, Brits open to other cultures as ever. I for one love the stuff.
I wouldn't eat Foie Gras if you paid me so it is nothing to do with the price of it. What I was trying to articulate (I thought quite clearly!) was that if I am going to buy a meat product then I will happily pay a premium to know that it has been treated ethically and the same for fish and seafood. If I can't afford it then I will buy a cheaper cut or have a non-meat diet. 1kg of mince from the butcher will go a long way with dishes like pasta, cottage/ shepherds pie etc. If you base your diet on rice, pasta, potatoes then you can feed your family very economically and treat meat (sustainably and ethically reared) as a bit of a luxury. I am not a veggie and I am not wealthy either! I wouldn't say that eating FG is a French culture either.. I would imagine that there is a large proportion of French people who are against it also.. just as not all Spanish people attend Bull Fighting.

Don't choke on your lovely FG will you.. its not nice having foreign matters stuck down your throat.
[quote][p][bold]pault42[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BKKYorkshireboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]whitehorse[/bold] wrote: What about my human right to enjoy foie gras. Fact of the matter is, these geese are going to be butchered anyway. So what the hell does it matter. At least they're being fed. And until a goose sits down and writes a brooding poem about its feelings on its cruel treatment, agony and fears over its impending death, I don't give a ****. I think its more cruel to give animals a spectacularly happy existence, with loads of room to run around and enjoy themselves and good grub. So much more to lose when they reach the final destination and get a bolt gun to the backs of their heads.[/p][/quote]Wind up merchant. The production of this product is an inherently cruel and entirely unnecessary process. Up there with shark fin soup if you ask me.. I love meat but only buy meat where the animal has had a decent life (intensive pig farming is Europe is horrendous) and a non-halal slaughter. I only buy free range eggs as battery caged poultry farming is a also a horrible practice. I don't mind spending 30-40% more for any animal produce that has been produced in an ethical manner.[/p][/quote]Glad you can afford to spend 30-40% more, most people can't. and your comment makes very little sense in relation to the article. Foie Gras is dashed expensive so are you saying you don't mind paying more because its expensive? Anyway, I won't go into the animal rights arguments here, because that could only ever lead one way, vegetarianism. Nothing wrong with that but why should they force their views down our throats, hang on that's what the debates about... Ah well, Brits open to other cultures as ever. I for one love the stuff.[/p][/quote]I wouldn't eat Foie Gras if you paid me so it is nothing to do with the price of it. What I was trying to articulate (I thought quite clearly!) was that if I am going to buy a meat product then I will happily pay a premium to know that it has been treated ethically and the same for fish and seafood. If I can't afford it then I will buy a cheaper cut or have a non-meat diet. 1kg of mince from the butcher will go a long way with dishes like pasta, cottage/ shepherds pie etc. If you base your diet on rice, pasta, potatoes then you can feed your family very economically and treat meat (sustainably and ethically reared) as a bit of a luxury. I am not a veggie and I am not wealthy either! I wouldn't say that eating FG is a French culture either.. I would imagine that there is a large proportion of French people who are against it also.. just as not all Spanish people attend Bull Fighting. Don't choke on your lovely FG will you.. its not nice having foreign matters stuck down your throat. BKKYorkshireboy
  • Score: -2

2:21pm Thu 1 May 14

Devils_advocate says...

So does fois gras taste differently if the goose hasn't been force fed? Or is fois gras the name for the process as well as the result. Just wondering why goose liver (not by force feeding) isn't the delicacy the fois gras is.
So does fois gras taste differently if the goose hasn't been force fed? Or is fois gras the name for the process as well as the result. Just wondering why goose liver (not by force feeding) isn't the delicacy the fois gras is. Devils_advocate
  • Score: 0

4:26pm Thu 1 May 14

eeoodares says...

BKKYorkshireboy wrote:
eeoodares wrote:
BKKYorkshireboy wrote:
whitehorse wrote:
What about my human right to enjoy foie gras. Fact of the matter is, these geese are going to be butchered anyway. So what the hell does it matter. At least they're being fed. And until a goose sits down and writes a brooding poem about its feelings on its cruel treatment, agony and fears over its impending death, I don't give a ****. I think its more cruel to give animals a spectacularly happy existence, with loads of room to run around and enjoy themselves and good grub. So much more to lose when they reach the final destination and get a bolt gun to the backs of their heads.
Wind up merchant.

The production of this product is an inherently cruel and entirely unnecessary process. Up there with shark fin soup if you ask me..
I love meat but only buy meat where the animal has had a decent life (intensive pig farming is Europe is horrendous) and a non-halal slaughter. I only buy free range eggs as battery caged poultry farming is a also a horrible practice. I don't mind spending 30-40% more for any animal produce that has been produced in an ethical manner.
Non-halal slaughter? What is your method...gassing, electrocution, beheading, roadkill, old age?
Slaughter where the animal is stunned first before it's throat is cut.. I don't agree in slitting an unharmed animal's throat as a way of killing it as I think it is a horrible death. This is the way the majority of livestock is killed. ie "non" Halal.

I don't understand your comment to be honest.
Because I think gassing and mechanical spinning blades is no less horrific.
[quote][p][bold]BKKYorkshireboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]eeoodares[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BKKYorkshireboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]whitehorse[/bold] wrote: What about my human right to enjoy foie gras. Fact of the matter is, these geese are going to be butchered anyway. So what the hell does it matter. At least they're being fed. And until a goose sits down and writes a brooding poem about its feelings on its cruel treatment, agony and fears over its impending death, I don't give a ****. I think its more cruel to give animals a spectacularly happy existence, with loads of room to run around and enjoy themselves and good grub. So much more to lose when they reach the final destination and get a bolt gun to the backs of their heads.[/p][/quote]Wind up merchant. The production of this product is an inherently cruel and entirely unnecessary process. Up there with shark fin soup if you ask me.. I love meat but only buy meat where the animal has had a decent life (intensive pig farming is Europe is horrendous) and a non-halal slaughter. I only buy free range eggs as battery caged poultry farming is a also a horrible practice. I don't mind spending 30-40% more for any animal produce that has been produced in an ethical manner.[/p][/quote]Non-halal slaughter? What is your method...gassing, electrocution, beheading, roadkill, old age?[/p][/quote]Slaughter where the animal is stunned first before it's throat is cut.. I don't agree in slitting an unharmed animal's throat as a way of killing it as I think it is a horrible death. This is the way the majority of livestock is killed. ie "non" Halal. I don't understand your comment to be honest.[/p][/quote]Because I think gassing and mechanical spinning blades is no less horrific. eeoodares
  • Score: 0

8:09pm Thu 1 May 14

pault42 says...

BKKYorkshireboy wrote:
pault42 wrote:
BKKYorkshireboy wrote:
whitehorse wrote:
What about my human right to enjoy foie gras. Fact of the matter is, these geese are going to be butchered anyway. So what the hell does it matter. At least they're being fed. And until a goose sits down and writes a brooding poem about its feelings on its cruel treatment, agony and fears over its impending death, I don't give a ****. I think its more cruel to give animals a spectacularly happy existence, with loads of room to run around and enjoy themselves and good grub. So much more to lose when they reach the final destination and get a bolt gun to the backs of their heads.
Wind up merchant.

The production of this product is an inherently cruel and entirely unnecessary process. Up there with shark fin soup if you ask me..
I love meat but only buy meat where the animal has had a decent life (intensive pig farming is Europe is horrendous) and a non-halal slaughter. I only buy free range eggs as battery caged poultry farming is a also a horrible practice. I don't mind spending 30-40% more for any animal produce that has been produced in an ethical manner.
Glad you can afford to spend 30-40% more, most people can't. and your comment makes very little sense in relation to the article. Foie Gras is dashed expensive so are you saying you don't mind paying more because its expensive?

Anyway, I won't go into the animal rights arguments here, because that could only ever lead one way, vegetarianism. Nothing wrong with that but why should they force their views down our throats, hang on that's what the debates about...

Ah well, Brits open to other cultures as ever. I for one love the stuff.
I wouldn't eat Foie Gras if you paid me so it is nothing to do with the price of it. What I was trying to articulate (I thought quite clearly!) was that if I am going to buy a meat product then I will happily pay a premium to know that it has been treated ethically and the same for fish and seafood. If I can't afford it then I will buy a cheaper cut or have a non-meat diet. 1kg of mince from the butcher will go a long way with dishes like pasta, cottage/ shepherds pie etc. If you base your diet on rice, pasta, potatoes then you can feed your family very economically and treat meat (sustainably and ethically reared) as a bit of a luxury. I am not a veggie and I am not wealthy either! I wouldn't say that eating FG is a French culture either.. I would imagine that there is a large proportion of French people who are against it also.. just as not all Spanish people attend Bull Fighting.

Don't choke on your lovely FG will you.. its not nice having foreign matters stuck down your throat.
To be fair it's so smooth you're unlikely to choke on it. Also why would I pay YOU to eat it? You seem quite opinionated, but that doesn't make your opinion right. I'm fully aware of how to feed my family well, I make my choices as you no doubt make yours. I choose to eat Foie Gras as a treat, as well as other delicacies. You say you would imagine there is a large proportion of French people against it. I don't know, so I don't presume to know. There may be a 'large proportion' of people against many things, but you can't just say others can't do, or choose to do those. Typically selfish, narrow arguments put forward I'm afraid.
[quote][p][bold]BKKYorkshireboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pault42[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BKKYorkshireboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]whitehorse[/bold] wrote: What about my human right to enjoy foie gras. Fact of the matter is, these geese are going to be butchered anyway. So what the hell does it matter. At least they're being fed. And until a goose sits down and writes a brooding poem about its feelings on its cruel treatment, agony and fears over its impending death, I don't give a ****. I think its more cruel to give animals a spectacularly happy existence, with loads of room to run around and enjoy themselves and good grub. So much more to lose when they reach the final destination and get a bolt gun to the backs of their heads.[/p][/quote]Wind up merchant. The production of this product is an inherently cruel and entirely unnecessary process. Up there with shark fin soup if you ask me.. I love meat but only buy meat where the animal has had a decent life (intensive pig farming is Europe is horrendous) and a non-halal slaughter. I only buy free range eggs as battery caged poultry farming is a also a horrible practice. I don't mind spending 30-40% more for any animal produce that has been produced in an ethical manner.[/p][/quote]Glad you can afford to spend 30-40% more, most people can't. and your comment makes very little sense in relation to the article. Foie Gras is dashed expensive so are you saying you don't mind paying more because its expensive? Anyway, I won't go into the animal rights arguments here, because that could only ever lead one way, vegetarianism. Nothing wrong with that but why should they force their views down our throats, hang on that's what the debates about... Ah well, Brits open to other cultures as ever. I for one love the stuff.[/p][/quote]I wouldn't eat Foie Gras if you paid me so it is nothing to do with the price of it. What I was trying to articulate (I thought quite clearly!) was that if I am going to buy a meat product then I will happily pay a premium to know that it has been treated ethically and the same for fish and seafood. If I can't afford it then I will buy a cheaper cut or have a non-meat diet. 1kg of mince from the butcher will go a long way with dishes like pasta, cottage/ shepherds pie etc. If you base your diet on rice, pasta, potatoes then you can feed your family very economically and treat meat (sustainably and ethically reared) as a bit of a luxury. I am not a veggie and I am not wealthy either! I wouldn't say that eating FG is a French culture either.. I would imagine that there is a large proportion of French people who are against it also.. just as not all Spanish people attend Bull Fighting. Don't choke on your lovely FG will you.. its not nice having foreign matters stuck down your throat.[/p][/quote]To be fair it's so smooth you're unlikely to choke on it. Also why would I pay YOU to eat it? You seem quite opinionated, but that doesn't make your opinion right. I'm fully aware of how to feed my family well, I make my choices as you no doubt make yours. I choose to eat Foie Gras as a treat, as well as other delicacies. You say you would imagine there is a large proportion of French people against it. I don't know, so I don't presume to know. There may be a 'large proportion' of people against many things, but you can't just say others can't do, or choose to do those. Typically selfish, narrow arguments put forward I'm afraid. pault42
  • Score: 3

10:11pm Thu 1 May 14

Boadicea says...

pault42 wrote:
BKKYorkshireboy wrote:
pault42 wrote:
BKKYorkshireboy wrote:
whitehorse wrote:
What about my human right to enjoy foie gras. Fact of the matter is, these geese are going to be butchered anyway. So what the hell does it matter. At least they're being fed. And until a goose sits down and writes a brooding poem about its feelings on its cruel treatment, agony and fears over its impending death, I don't give a ****. I think its more cruel to give animals a spectacularly happy existence, with loads of room to run around and enjoy themselves and good grub. So much more to lose when they reach the final destination and get a bolt gun to the backs of their heads.
Wind up merchant.

The production of this product is an inherently cruel and entirely unnecessary process. Up there with shark fin soup if you ask me..
I love meat but only buy meat where the animal has had a decent life (intensive pig farming is Europe is horrendous) and a non-halal slaughter. I only buy free range eggs as battery caged poultry farming is a also a horrible practice. I don't mind spending 30-40% more for any animal produce that has been produced in an ethical manner.
Glad you can afford to spend 30-40% more, most people can't. and your comment makes very little sense in relation to the article. Foie Gras is dashed expensive so are you saying you don't mind paying more because its expensive?

Anyway, I won't go into the animal rights arguments here, because that could only ever lead one way, vegetarianism. Nothing wrong with that but why should they force their views down our throats, hang on that's what the debates about...

Ah well, Brits open to other cultures as ever. I for one love the stuff.
I wouldn't eat Foie Gras if you paid me so it is nothing to do with the price of it. What I was trying to articulate (I thought quite clearly!) was that if I am going to buy a meat product then I will happily pay a premium to know that it has been treated ethically and the same for fish and seafood. If I can't afford it then I will buy a cheaper cut or have a non-meat diet. 1kg of mince from the butcher will go a long way with dishes like pasta, cottage/ shepherds pie etc. If you base your diet on rice, pasta, potatoes then you can feed your family very economically and treat meat (sustainably and ethically reared) as a bit of a luxury. I am not a veggie and I am not wealthy either! I wouldn't say that eating FG is a French culture either.. I would imagine that there is a large proportion of French people who are against it also.. just as not all Spanish people attend Bull Fighting.

Don't choke on your lovely FG will you.. its not nice having foreign matters stuck down your throat.
To be fair it's so smooth you're unlikely to choke on it. Also why would I pay YOU to eat it? You seem quite opinionated, but that doesn't make your opinion right. I'm fully aware of how to feed my family well, I make my choices as you no doubt make yours. I choose to eat Foie Gras as a treat, as well as other delicacies. You say you would imagine there is a large proportion of French people against it. I don't know, so I don't presume to know. There may be a 'large proportion' of people against many things, but you can't just say others can't do, or choose to do those. Typically selfish, narrow arguments put forward I'm afraid.
I am all for people making their own choices what they do and eat but NOT when it invilves cruelty to anim als.
[quote][p][bold]pault42[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BKKYorkshireboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pault42[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BKKYorkshireboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]whitehorse[/bold] wrote: What about my human right to enjoy foie gras. Fact of the matter is, these geese are going to be butchered anyway. So what the hell does it matter. At least they're being fed. And until a goose sits down and writes a brooding poem about its feelings on its cruel treatment, agony and fears over its impending death, I don't give a ****. I think its more cruel to give animals a spectacularly happy existence, with loads of room to run around and enjoy themselves and good grub. So much more to lose when they reach the final destination and get a bolt gun to the backs of their heads.[/p][/quote]Wind up merchant. The production of this product is an inherently cruel and entirely unnecessary process. Up there with shark fin soup if you ask me.. I love meat but only buy meat where the animal has had a decent life (intensive pig farming is Europe is horrendous) and a non-halal slaughter. I only buy free range eggs as battery caged poultry farming is a also a horrible practice. I don't mind spending 30-40% more for any animal produce that has been produced in an ethical manner.[/p][/quote]Glad you can afford to spend 30-40% more, most people can't. and your comment makes very little sense in relation to the article. Foie Gras is dashed expensive so are you saying you don't mind paying more because its expensive? Anyway, I won't go into the animal rights arguments here, because that could only ever lead one way, vegetarianism. Nothing wrong with that but why should they force their views down our throats, hang on that's what the debates about... Ah well, Brits open to other cultures as ever. I for one love the stuff.[/p][/quote]I wouldn't eat Foie Gras if you paid me so it is nothing to do with the price of it. What I was trying to articulate (I thought quite clearly!) was that if I am going to buy a meat product then I will happily pay a premium to know that it has been treated ethically and the same for fish and seafood. If I can't afford it then I will buy a cheaper cut or have a non-meat diet. 1kg of mince from the butcher will go a long way with dishes like pasta, cottage/ shepherds pie etc. If you base your diet on rice, pasta, potatoes then you can feed your family very economically and treat meat (sustainably and ethically reared) as a bit of a luxury. I am not a veggie and I am not wealthy either! I wouldn't say that eating FG is a French culture either.. I would imagine that there is a large proportion of French people who are against it also.. just as not all Spanish people attend Bull Fighting. Don't choke on your lovely FG will you.. its not nice having foreign matters stuck down your throat.[/p][/quote]To be fair it's so smooth you're unlikely to choke on it. Also why would I pay YOU to eat it? You seem quite opinionated, but that doesn't make your opinion right. I'm fully aware of how to feed my family well, I make my choices as you no doubt make yours. I choose to eat Foie Gras as a treat, as well as other delicacies. You say you would imagine there is a large proportion of French people against it. I don't know, so I don't presume to know. There may be a 'large proportion' of people against many things, but you can't just say others can't do, or choose to do those. Typically selfish, narrow arguments put forward I'm afraid.[/p][/quote]I am all for people making their own choices what they do and eat but NOT when it invilves cruelty to anim als. Boadicea
  • Score: 3

1:10pm Fri 2 May 14

meme says...

its a matter of education If you know how Foie Gras is made you can then decide to eat it or not to! Its not for others to ban it so there is no choice
Loads of people hate it and loads love it and its up to individuals to decide what they do about it.
I love the taste, but don't eat it now, not because its cruel but because its so fattening!
its wrong to remove a perfectly legal foodstuff from a festival with a French THEME JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE DOES NOT AGREE WITH THE WAY ITS PRODUCED
its a matter of education If you know how Foie Gras is made you can then decide to eat it or not to! Its not for others to ban it so there is no choice Loads of people hate it and loads love it and its up to individuals to decide what they do about it. I love the taste, but don't eat it now, not because its cruel [I can think of lots of other very cruel animal practices ie veal production] but because its so fattening! its wrong to remove a perfectly legal foodstuff from a festival with a French THEME JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE DOES NOT AGREE WITH THE WAY ITS PRODUCED meme
  • Score: 2

6:07pm Fri 2 May 14

Boadicea says...

meme wrote:
its a matter of education If you know how Foie Gras is made you can then decide to eat it or not to! Its not for others to ban it so there is no choice
Loads of people hate it and loads love it and its up to individuals to decide what they do about it.
I love the taste, but don't eat it now, not because its cruel but because its so fattening!
its wrong to remove a perfectly legal foodstuff from a festival with a French THEME JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE DOES NOT AGREE WITH THE WAY ITS PRODUCED
We know that foie gras is made by force feeding geese by pushing an iron pipe down their throats until their livers are bloated, (If this isn't cruel then I don't know what is).
It isn't a question of people having a choice of what they eat. It is a question of making cruelty (like this) illegal. It is irrelevant that it is a French custom, it isn't an English one, and should never be.
[quote][p][bold]meme[/bold] wrote: its a matter of education If you know how Foie Gras is made you can then decide to eat it or not to! Its not for others to ban it so there is no choice Loads of people hate it and loads love it and its up to individuals to decide what they do about it. I love the taste, but don't eat it now, not because its cruel [I can think of lots of other very cruel animal practices ie veal production] but because its so fattening! its wrong to remove a perfectly legal foodstuff from a festival with a French THEME JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE DOES NOT AGREE WITH THE WAY ITS PRODUCED[/p][/quote]We know that foie gras is made by force feeding geese by pushing an iron pipe down their throats until their livers are bloated, (If this isn't cruel then I don't know what is). It isn't a question of people having a choice of what they eat. It is a question of making cruelty (like this) illegal. It is irrelevant that it is a French custom, it isn't an English one, and should never be. Boadicea
  • Score: 0

10:53pm Fri 2 May 14

Batman Begins says...

I want the Lendal Bridge arguments back, this is dull!
I want the Lendal Bridge arguments back, this is dull! Batman Begins
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree