Ghostly images captured in York

York Press: SPECTRE: The pictures taken at the Castle Museum by John Burnside on his mobile phone which he claims show images of a ghostly young girl SPECTRE: The pictures taken at the Castle Museum by John Burnside on his mobile phone which he claims show images of a ghostly young girl

A FAMILY were spooked when they discovered ghostlike pictures of a little girl in Victorian costume shadowing them from room to room around a museum.

John Burnside came out in goose bumps with he found the images of the child lurking in the background on his phone two years after they were taken.

They were taken two years ago – when he popped into York’s Castle Museum with partner Shona Backhouse and their son Johnthomas Burnside, then just 18 months' old.

John, 27, a labourer, of Wakefield, had no explanation for what had happened.

He had never seen the little girl before until he found his old memory card in the pocket of his pyjamas and transferred the contents onto his new phone.

He was sat next to Shona, 25, on the couch when they spotted the extra figure in the photos.

He said: “It was weird. I didn’t notice anything at first then I thought I was imagining it. So I asked Shona and she said ‘Yes. It’s a little girl.’

“When I phoned my mum she at first thought it might be a little girl that my sister lost but my dad spotted the girl in the picture was in Victorian dress.

“It’s enough to make you paranoid. It gives me goose bumps every time I think about it.

“I don’t like the idea of ghosts or anything like that. It gives me panic attacks. There was not little girl like that on the day at the museum.

“It was pretty dead there to be honest all through the day. Anyway, it looks like you can see right through her.”

There have been claims in the past at Castle Museum is haunted.

A crew filming an episode of Derek Acorah's Ghost Towns programme in 2006 insisted they had heard shrill voices and seen ghostly children running around.

Shona, who works in a tanning salon, said: “I don't know that the thing is. It is like it was following us because it was in the last picture of me taken outside.

"It is really weird. I never noticed it until other day when we looked through the pictures.

"But I told John when was at the museum that I had funny feeling and didnt like it there.

"The room one of pics was taken in I wouldn't go inside. It gave me goose pimples and shivers.

"Our son was around 18 months' old at the time. I can't really remember if he sensed anything - but I know I didn't like it at all though."

Comments (43)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:34am Sat 19 Apr 14

muckybutt says...

That really does look Photoshopped to me, both the images of the so called "ghost" are the same.

IMHO FAKE
That really does look Photoshopped to me, both the images of the so called "ghost" are the same. IMHO FAKE muckybutt
  • Score: 9

8:43am Sat 19 Apr 14

MrMr says...

I know the feeling.
I was looking through some pics on my ex girlfriend's phone and saw a pair of ghoulies that I didn't recognise! Gave me a shock too!
I know the feeling. I was looking through some pics on my ex girlfriend's phone and saw a pair of ghoulies that I didn't recognise! Gave me a shock too! MrMr
  • Score: 64

10:07am Sat 19 Apr 14

courier46 says...

Oh dear!!!
Oh dear!!! courier46
  • Score: 2

10:16am Sat 19 Apr 14

Loollah says...

"I don’t like the idea of ghosts or anything like that. It gives me panic attacks."

Sounds like someone needs a dose of Man The Hell Up!
"I don’t like the idea of ghosts or anything like that. It gives me panic attacks." Sounds like someone needs a dose of Man The Hell Up! Loollah
  • Score: 13

12:49pm Sat 19 Apr 14

Pinza-C55 says...

I would love to know how "ghosts" manage to take their clothes with them to the afterlife? And what happens if you die in the bath or clutching a toilet roll? Do you carry it around forever?
I would love to know how "ghosts" manage to take their clothes with them to the afterlife? And what happens if you die in the bath or clutching a toilet roll? Do you carry it around forever? Pinza-C55
  • Score: 36

12:55pm Sat 19 Apr 14

MrMr says...

Pinza-C55 wrote:
I would love to know how "ghosts" manage to take their clothes with them to the afterlife? And what happens if you die in the bath or clutching a toilet roll? Do you carry it around forever?
Yes!
[quote][p][bold]Pinza-C55[/bold] wrote: I would love to know how "ghosts" manage to take their clothes with them to the afterlife? And what happens if you die in the bath or clutching a toilet roll? Do you carry it around forever?[/p][/quote]Yes! MrMr
  • Score: 10

1:07pm Sat 19 Apr 14

Daisy75 says...

I can't even see the so called ghosts.
I can't even see the so called ghosts. Daisy75
  • Score: -6

5:23pm Sat 19 Apr 14

Lillianmaye says...

Please...this is definitely a ghost photo app!!
Please...this is definitely a ghost photo app!! Lillianmaye
  • Score: 7

6:00pm Sat 19 Apr 14

burnside123 says...

Hi I know you are all saying it's fake but believe me Thays no fake about these the pictures you see are what was caught on camera why lie about something like this when we contacted paper are selfs not stupid to send fake pictures the press can check them out and rule out if fake or not thay was taken on a old black berry phone we know there real that's all that matters
Hi I know you are all saying it's fake but believe me Thays no fake about these the pictures you see are what was caught on camera why lie about something like this when we contacted paper are selfs not stupid to send fake pictures the press can check them out and rule out if fake or not thay was taken on a old black berry phone we know there real that's all that matters burnside123
  • Score: -2

9:30pm Sat 19 Apr 14

Pinza-C55 says...

MrMr wrote:
I know the feeling.
I was looking through some pics on my ex girlfriend's phone and saw a pair of ghoulies that I didn't recognise! Gave me a shock too!
Are you sure that was ectoplasm around the ghoulies?
[quote][p][bold]MrMr[/bold] wrote: I know the feeling. I was looking through some pics on my ex girlfriend's phone and saw a pair of ghoulies that I didn't recognise! Gave me a shock too![/p][/quote]Are you sure that was ectoplasm around the ghoulies? Pinza-C55
  • Score: 2

10:08pm Sat 19 Apr 14

burnside123 says...

These pictures what you see is how thay are on my sons memory card nothing tamperd with nothing touched just how thay was taken with the little girls in them
These pictures what you see is how thay are on my sons memory card nothing tamperd with nothing touched just how thay was taken with the little girls in them burnside123
  • Score: -12

11:39pm Sat 19 Apr 14

MrMr says...

Nothing tampered or touched with little girl's on them....... Are you sure? ?
Nothing tampered or touched with little girl's on them....... Are you sure? ? MrMr
  • Score: 2

11:41pm Sat 19 Apr 14

MrMr says...

Pinza-C55 wrote:
MrMr wrote:
I know the feeling.
I was looking through some pics on my ex girlfriend's phone and saw a pair of ghoulies that I didn't recognise! Gave me a shock too!
Are you sure that was ectoplasm around the ghoulies?
I think they'd berm slimed! !!!!!!
[quote][p][bold]Pinza-C55[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MrMr[/bold] wrote: I know the feeling. I was looking through some pics on my ex girlfriend's phone and saw a pair of ghoulies that I didn't recognise! Gave me a shock too![/p][/quote]Are you sure that was ectoplasm around the ghoulies?[/p][/quote]I think they'd berm slimed! !!!!!! MrMr
  • Score: 1

11:42pm Sat 19 Apr 14

MrMr says...

MrMr wrote:
Pinza-C55 wrote:
MrMr wrote:
I know the feeling.
I was looking through some pics on my ex girlfriend's phone and saw a pair of ghoulies that I didn't recognise! Gave me a shock too!
Are you sure that was ectoplasm around the ghoulies?
I think they'd berm slimed! !!!!!!
BEEN!!!!! Blinking predictive text! !
[quote][p][bold]MrMr[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pinza-C55[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MrMr[/bold] wrote: I know the feeling. I was looking through some pics on my ex girlfriend's phone and saw a pair of ghoulies that I didn't recognise! Gave me a shock too![/p][/quote]Are you sure that was ectoplasm around the ghoulies?[/p][/quote]I think they'd berm slimed! !!!!!![/p][/quote]BEEN!!!!! Blinking predictive text! ! MrMr
  • Score: 1

1:19am Sun 20 Apr 14

magicadey says...

Faaaaaaaake
Faaaaaaaake magicadey
  • Score: 10

9:16am Sun 20 Apr 14

Dr Brian says...

And the press give time and space to such loonies! Obviously a no news day!
And the press give time and space to such loonies! Obviously a no news day! Dr Brian
  • Score: 8

10:05am Sun 20 Apr 14

muckybutt says...

They are so obviously fake !
The pose is exactly the same in both photos for starters, then in the first photo - the photo it's self is fairly grainy yet the image of the so called ghost is in focus ?
Sorry Mr Burnside but someone has certainly tampered with those photos, I would stake money on them being fake.
They are so obviously fake ! The pose is exactly the same in both photos for starters, then in the first photo - the photo it's self is fairly grainy yet the image of the so called ghost is in focus ? Sorry Mr Burnside but someone has certainly tampered with those photos, I would stake money on them being fake. muckybutt
  • Score: 8

1:37pm Sun 20 Apr 14

Woody G Mellor says...

I agree that it is the same ghostly image on both pictures. It is more than likely an earlier image taken on the phones camera that has burnt on to the phones sensor. Common mostly with older phones, this why we have screen savers on our P.C.'s. Professionally known as 'Ghosting".
I agree that it is the same ghostly image on both pictures. It is more than likely an earlier image taken on the phones camera that has burnt on to the phones sensor. Common mostly with older phones, this why we have screen savers on our P.C.'s. Professionally known as 'Ghosting". Woody G Mellor
  • Score: -16

2:04pm Sun 20 Apr 14

burnside123 says...

There's nothing fake about these pictures I'm sure the press would of checked all that out we know there not fake other people can think what ever thay like but we know different.
There's nothing fake about these pictures I'm sure the press would of checked all that out we know there not fake other people can think what ever thay like but we know different. burnside123
  • Score: -1

5:18pm Sun 20 Apr 14

xxwitchyxx says...

There is also what looks like either dolls head or a persons head at the bottom of the first picture.
There is also what looks like either dolls head or a persons head at the bottom of the first picture. xxwitchyxx
  • Score: 4

4:49am Mon 21 Apr 14

Tigerstolly says...

burnside123 wrote:
Hi I know you are all saying it's fake but believe me Thays no fake about these the pictures you see are what was caught on camera why lie about something like this when we contacted paper are selfs not stupid to send fake pictures the press can check them out and rule out if fake or not thay was taken on a old black berry phone we know there real that's all that matters
Its worthwhile taking the time to construct a post properly with correct spelling and punctuation. Otherwise, people wll not take the time to read it.
[quote][p][bold]burnside123[/bold] wrote: Hi I know you are all saying it's fake but believe me Thays no fake about these the pictures you see are what was caught on camera why lie about something like this when we contacted paper are selfs not stupid to send fake pictures the press can check them out and rule out if fake or not thay was taken on a old black berry phone we know there real that's all that matters[/p][/quote]Its worthwhile taking the time to construct a post properly with correct spelling and punctuation. Otherwise, people wll not take the time to read it. Tigerstolly
  • Score: 6

7:38am Mon 21 Apr 14

Tigerstolly says...

Tigerstolly wrote:
burnside123 wrote:
Hi I know you are all saying it's fake but believe me Thays no fake about these the pictures you see are what was caught on camera why lie about something like this when we contacted paper are selfs not stupid to send fake pictures the press can check them out and rule out if fake or not thay was taken on a old black berry phone we know there real that's all that matters
Its worthwhile taking the time to construct a post properly with correct spelling and punctuation. Otherwise, people wll not take the time to read it.
Obviously the odd typo is understandable ;)
[quote][p][bold]Tigerstolly[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]burnside123[/bold] wrote: Hi I know you are all saying it's fake but believe me Thays no fake about these the pictures you see are what was caught on camera why lie about something like this when we contacted paper are selfs not stupid to send fake pictures the press can check them out and rule out if fake or not thay was taken on a old black berry phone we know there real that's all that matters[/p][/quote]Its worthwhile taking the time to construct a post properly with correct spelling and punctuation. Otherwise, people wll not take the time to read it.[/p][/quote]Obviously the odd typo is understandable ;) Tigerstolly
  • Score: 2

9:49am Mon 21 Apr 14

David of York says...

I'd like to know what they were actually taking a photo of in the first place. Thisis more obvious on the first picture (his partner and son, although it is still an unusual composition) but what on earth was he trying to capture on the second picture?
I'd like to know what they were actually taking a photo of in the first place. Thisis more obvious on the first picture (his partner and son, although it is still an unusual composition) but what on earth was he trying to capture on the second picture? David of York
  • Score: 6

4:25pm Mon 21 Apr 14

SB Dubs says...

At least you can see them better on the website, because in the Press on paper you can't make them out at all.
At least you can see them better on the website, because in the Press on paper you can't make them out at all. SB Dubs
  • Score: 1

4:30pm Mon 21 Apr 14

SB Dubs says...

Also the museum is built on the site of the old prison, is it not? So there are bound to be ghosts.
Also the museum is built on the site of the old prison, is it not? So there are bound to be ghosts. SB Dubs
  • Score: -3

6:27pm Mon 21 Apr 14

KeithGorilla says...

SB Dubs wrote:
Also the museum is built on the site of the old prison, is it not? So there are bound to be ghosts.
"Bound to be ghosts"?? Ghosts don't exist mate.
[quote][p][bold]SB Dubs[/bold] wrote: Also the museum is built on the site of the old prison, is it not? So there are bound to be ghosts.[/p][/quote]"Bound to be ghosts"?? Ghosts don't exist mate. KeithGorilla
  • Score: 4

6:32pm Mon 21 Apr 14

Woody G Mellor says...

KeithGorilla wrote:
SB Dubs wrote:
Also the museum is built on the site of the old prison, is it not? So there are bound to be ghosts.
"Bound to be ghosts"?? Ghosts don't exist mate.
Prove it. Both of you.
[quote][p][bold]KeithGorilla[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SB Dubs[/bold] wrote: Also the museum is built on the site of the old prison, is it not? So there are bound to be ghosts.[/p][/quote]"Bound to be ghosts"?? Ghosts don't exist mate.[/p][/quote]Prove it. Both of you. Woody G Mellor
  • Score: -18

6:45pm Mon 21 Apr 14

KeithGorilla says...

Woody G Mellor wrote:
KeithGorilla wrote:
SB Dubs wrote:
Also the museum is built on the site of the old prison, is it not? So there are bound to be ghosts.
"Bound to be ghosts"?? Ghosts don't exist mate.
Prove it. Both of you.
Haha, I guess there's these convincing pictures. Difficult to prove the non-existence of something...
[quote][p][bold]Woody G Mellor[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]KeithGorilla[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SB Dubs[/bold] wrote: Also the museum is built on the site of the old prison, is it not? So there are bound to be ghosts.[/p][/quote]"Bound to be ghosts"?? Ghosts don't exist mate.[/p][/quote]Prove it. Both of you.[/p][/quote]Haha, I guess there's these convincing pictures. Difficult to prove the non-existence of something... KeithGorilla
  • Score: -3

7:09pm Mon 21 Apr 14

SB Dubs says...

Woody G Mellor wrote:
KeithGorilla wrote:
SB Dubs wrote:
Also the museum is built on the site of the old prison, is it not? So there are bound to be ghosts.
"Bound to be ghosts"?? Ghosts don't exist mate.
Prove it. Both of you.
I have seen one, that's why. Can't tell you where as you will guess my identity
[quote][p][bold]Woody G Mellor[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]KeithGorilla[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SB Dubs[/bold] wrote: Also the museum is built on the site of the old prison, is it not? So there are bound to be ghosts.[/p][/quote]"Bound to be ghosts"?? Ghosts don't exist mate.[/p][/quote]Prove it. Both of you.[/p][/quote]I have seen one, that's why. Can't tell you where as you will guess my identity SB Dubs
  • Score: 0

5:15am Tue 22 Apr 14

Magicman! says...

MrMr wrote:
Pinza-C55 wrote:
I would love to know how "ghosts" manage to take their clothes with them to the afterlife? And what happens if you die in the bath or clutching a toilet roll? Do you carry it around forever?
Yes!
OOOOoooohhh, I am the ghost of Toilet Past... if you eat that beefburger you will die whilst having a poop like I did oooOOOOooohhh!!
[quote][p][bold]MrMr[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pinza-C55[/bold] wrote: I would love to know how "ghosts" manage to take their clothes with them to the afterlife? And what happens if you die in the bath or clutching a toilet roll? Do you carry it around forever?[/p][/quote]Yes![/p][/quote]OOOOoooohhh, I am the ghost of Toilet Past... if you eat that beefburger you will die whilst having a poop like I did oooOOOOooohhh!! Magicman!
  • Score: -1

8:02am Tue 22 Apr 14

MrsHoney says...

magicadey wrote:
Faaaaaaaake
:-) One of my faves.
[quote][p][bold]magicadey[/bold] wrote: Faaaaaaaake[/p][/quote]:-) One of my faves. MrsHoney
  • Score: 2

9:41am Tue 22 Apr 14

Fabius the Delayer says...

Tigerstolly wrote:
Tigerstolly wrote:
burnside123 wrote:
Hi I know you are all saying it's fake but believe me Thays no fake about these the pictures you see are what was caught on camera why lie about something like this when we contacted paper are selfs not stupid to send fake pictures the press can check them out and rule out if fake or not thay was taken on a old black berry phone we know there real that's all that matters
Its worthwhile taking the time to construct a post properly with correct spelling and punctuation. Otherwise, people wll not take the time to read it.
Obviously the odd typo is understandable ;)
Ho dear, Out here in the modern world we have all heard of Photoshop..
its the same drawing of a child imposed over the two different pictures...
[quote][p][bold]Tigerstolly[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tigerstolly[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]burnside123[/bold] wrote: Hi I know you are all saying it's fake but believe me Thays no fake about these the pictures you see are what was caught on camera why lie about something like this when we contacted paper are selfs not stupid to send fake pictures the press can check them out and rule out if fake or not thay was taken on a old black berry phone we know there real that's all that matters[/p][/quote]Its worthwhile taking the time to construct a post properly with correct spelling and punctuation. Otherwise, people wll not take the time to read it.[/p][/quote]Obviously the odd typo is understandable ;)[/p][/quote]Ho dear, Out here in the modern world we have all heard of Photoshop.. its the same drawing of a child imposed over the two different pictures... Fabius the Delayer
  • Score: 1

12:02pm Tue 22 Apr 14

FiveLeavesLeft says...

This isn't even as sophisticated as Photoshop. If you google 'Ghost Prank App' you will find the free software that created this image. The ghost in question is even one of their stock examples!! Perhaps we're due an article on willful dishonesty and press attention seeking?
This isn't even as sophisticated as Photoshop. If you google 'Ghost Prank App' you will find the free software that created this image. The ghost in question is even one of their stock examples!! Perhaps we're due an article on willful dishonesty and press attention seeking? FiveLeavesLeft
  • Score: 7

12:30pm Tue 22 Apr 14

magicadey says...

https://lh5.ggpht.co
m/_hzknLChDqjY1juEWT
LkIyYGzz8G1PnsbbNSCZ
bOtVL7z5MLcaP1mmYrhS
ZW1z4OU70=h900-rw

Boom take that
https://lh5.ggpht.co m/_hzknLChDqjY1juEWT LkIyYGzz8G1PnsbbNSCZ bOtVL7z5MLcaP1mmYrhS ZW1z4OU70=h900-rw Boom take that magicadey
  • Score: 2

12:31pm Tue 22 Apr 14

magicadey says...

https://play.google.
com/store/apps/detai
ls?id=foto.fantasma.
broma

app in question
https://play.google. com/store/apps/detai ls?id=foto.fantasma. broma app in question magicadey
  • Score: 4

12:37pm Tue 22 Apr 14

magicadey says...

argh A ghost in my garden. its the same girl as well!!!!!!!

http://i59.tinypic.c
om/149cryc.jpg
argh A ghost in my garden. its the same girl as well!!!!!!! http://i59.tinypic.c om/149cryc.jpg magicadey
  • Score: 8

6:15pm Tue 22 Apr 14

Pinza-C55 says...

FiveLeavesLeft wrote:
This isn't even as sophisticated as Photoshop. If you google 'Ghost Prank App' you will find the free software that created this image. The ghost in question is even one of their stock examples!! Perhaps we're due an article on willful dishonesty and press attention seeking?
Ha ha! Yes I looked on Play Store on my Android phone and there it is, first result you come up with !
[quote][p][bold]FiveLeavesLeft[/bold] wrote: This isn't even as sophisticated as Photoshop. If you google 'Ghost Prank App' you will find the free software that created this image. The ghost in question is even one of their stock examples!! Perhaps we're due an article on willful dishonesty and press attention seeking?[/p][/quote]Ha ha! Yes I looked on Play Store on my Android phone and there it is, first result you come up with ! Pinza-C55
  • Score: 4

8:35pm Tue 22 Apr 14

muckybutt says...

Hehehe Mr Burnside outed as a faker ! lol

Told ya so :)
Hehehe Mr Burnside outed as a faker ! lol Told ya so :) muckybutt
  • Score: 3

8:42pm Tue 22 Apr 14

Woody G Mellor says...

I've just had a look at the app myself. How embarrassing.
I've just had a look at the app myself. How embarrassing. Woody G Mellor
  • Score: 3

9:18am Thu 24 Apr 14

divided says...

Might be a good idea to retract the story. Don't give time to stupid people who are desperate for a few column inches. I bet they hoped they'd get a bit of cash out of it too!
Might be a good idea to retract the story. Don't give time to stupid people who are desperate for a few column inches. I bet they hoped they'd get a bit of cash out of it too! divided
  • Score: 2

4:06pm Fri 25 Apr 14

sounds weird but says...

divided wrote:
Might be a good idea to retract the story. Don't give time to stupid people who are desperate for a few column inches. I bet they hoped they'd get a bit of cash out of it too!
Yes but then on that basis half the stories on this site would need to be retracted!
[quote][p][bold]divided[/bold] wrote: Might be a good idea to retract the story. Don't give time to stupid people who are desperate for a few column inches. I bet they hoped they'd get a bit of cash out of it too![/p][/quote]Yes but then on that basis half the stories on this site would need to be retracted! sounds weird but
  • Score: 1

5:00pm Fri 25 Apr 14

anistasia says...

Anything possible york is the most haunted in britain plenty of books on haunted york and dvds plenty of ghost walks around anything to keep the tourists coming seeing is believing ?
Anything possible york is the most haunted in britain plenty of books on haunted york and dvds plenty of ghost walks around anything to keep the tourists coming seeing is believing ? anistasia
  • Score: 0

5:13pm Fri 25 Apr 14

magicadey says...

anistasia wrote:
Anything possible york is the most haunted in britain plenty of books on haunted york and dvds plenty of ghost walks around anything to keep the tourists coming seeing is believing ?
yeah but this is fake..
[quote][p][bold]anistasia[/bold] wrote: Anything possible york is the most haunted in britain plenty of books on haunted york and dvds plenty of ghost walks around anything to keep the tourists coming seeing is believing ?[/p][/quote]yeah but this is fake.. magicadey
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree