Veteran urges people to call off demonstration after bar apologises for refusing entry
Updated 8:05pm Thursday 3rd April 2014 in News
A PUB chain has apologised to a wounded ex-soldier refused entry to a York bar because of the facial scars he suffered in Afghanistan - after admitting a member of its door staff made an "inappropriate remark" to him.
James Dalby, 23, from Heworth, said he was prevented from going into Yates's bar in York last Saturday night and, having initially been told the reason was because he was dressed too casually, one of his friends was told the refusal was due to his injuries and that "it looks bad".
Yates's originally denied this had happened and an investigation had shown a group of customers were denied entry because they did not meet the bar's dress code.
However, in a U-turn, the company today has apologised for refusing Mr Dalby entry.
Mr Dalby has said he accepted their apology following a two hour meeting with the chief operations officer of Stonegate Pub Company, which runs Yates's, and has asked that people call off a demonstration due to be attended by hundreds of people on April 26.
He has said in a statement: “My friends and I have received a full apology from the directors/company that operate Yates's regarding the incident with the door staff having been refused entry. I am happy that the matter has now been resolved and I can now move on and wish no further action or demonstration be made on my behalf.”
Yates's said in a statement: "We would like to apologise to James Dalby and his friends for refusing entry to James on their visit to Yates's in York.
"Having fully investigated the incident, we confirm an inappropriate remark was made by a member of the contracted door team who has subsequently been removed from the site. As a company, we have always supported those who have been in action on behalf of our country, and over the years we have raised many thousands of pounds for military charities and will continue to do so.
"Our full and frank apology has been made to James, which he has accepted.”
Mr Dalby has been medically discharged from the Army after suffering serious injuries, including shrapnel and burns to his face, a fractured eye socket, a broken leg and third-degree burns following an explosion in 2010, while he was a trooper with the Royal Dragoon Guards. Part of his role had been to search for explosive devices.
He told The Press earlier this week: "I got refused from Yates's for something I can't control - to be refused for being an ex-serviceman with facial scars does anger me.
"It would be nice to get a public apology and for people to be aware that it goes on."