TWO prisoners who threatened to kill a guard near York just days after the murder of soldier Lee Rigby are facing extra time behind bars.

Feroz Khan, 26, and Fuad Awale, 26, tried to take over HMP Full Sutton after an iman offered his condolences to the family of Drummer Lee Rigby last May.

Two days after storming out of the prayer service, Khan went to visit every Muslim prisoner and the pair ambushed prison guard Richard Thompson as he walked into a cleaning office on the prison's Echo Wing, believing him to be ex-British military.

Khan, who fractured Mr Thompson eye socket before threatening to kill him, had planned the attack after telling another guard that it was a Muslim's duty to 'fight until Sharia law is established in every country,' the Old Bailey was told.

During a five-hour ordeal, Mr Thompson was pinned to his chair and Awale pointed a sharp implement by his throat and said: 'Stop struggling, I've killed two people - I'll kill you'.

Mr Thompson, who had to be treated for his injuries at York Hospital, said: 'I saw Awale playing with the knives. At one stage he was rubbing the knives together, rather like someone who was preparing to carve up a Sunday roast.'

Khan demanded the release of hate preacher Abu Qatada, who was then awaiting deportation to Jordan to face terror charges, and of Roshonara Choudhry, the student who stabbed MP Stephen Timms twice in the stomach with a kitchen knife at a constituency surgery in May 2010.

Khan used the tannoy system to greet his fellow Muslim prisoners in the Arabic for 'peace be upon you' before announcing he had taken an officer hostage.

But a hostage negotiator told the kidnappers their timing was poor because it was the night of the Britain's Got Talent final, and few people would be watching the news.

Khan, formerly of Bradford, smiled as he was convicted of making threats to kill and causing grievous bodily harm to Mr Thompson after 13 hours of deliberations by the jury of six men and six women.

But the jury cleared Khan of false imprisonment and assaulting a second prison guard, Rachel Oxtoby, causing actual bodily harm.

Awale, formerly of Cranesbill Place in Milton Keynes, was convicted of making threats to kill but cleared of false imprisonment.

A third man, convicted killer David Watson, 27, formerly of Hackney, east London, winked at the jury after they cleared him of false imprisonment.

The defendants were led into the dock separately to hear the verdicts at the request of the prison service to ensure 'good order and discipline'.

Khan, Awale, and Watson were all serving life sentences for murder at the time of the incident.

On February 26, 2007, Khan shot his friend Skander Rehman in the back of the head at point blank range after luring him to a park in Bradford - wrongly believing he was having an affair with his wife.

He began practising Islam at HMP Wakefield where he claims staff treated him differently once he grew a beard and started praying.

Like Khan, Somali-born Awale became a devout Muslim once he was behind bars. He was convicted of the double murder of two teenagers who were shot in a Milton Keynes drug war in January last year.

Mohammed Abdi Farah, 19, and Amin Ahmed Ismail, 18, were gunned down by Awale in an alleyway in a council estate on May 26, 2011.

Watson stabbed to death a security guard at a HMV store in Norwich's Chapelfield shopping centre after being caught with a stolen CD on December 18, 2006. The drug dealer murdered Paul Cavanagh after fearing police would find £10,000 of crack cocaine he had in a carrier bag. He converted to Islam following his conviction in August 2007.

Sentencing was adjourned until next week.