Travellers leave St George's Field car park in York after being given notice to quit by council
Updated 10:13am Thursday 27th March 2014 in News
TRAVELLERS who descended on St George’s Field Car park in York have left after being notice to quit by City of York Council.
A local resident contacted The Press yesterday to complain that about a dozen caravans and vehicles had been parked at the end of the riverside car park near the Foss Flood Barrier since earlier in the week.
He said the encampment meant about 70 parking spaces had been made inaccessible, rubbish had been strewn around and motorists had been driving in to the car park and then driving straight out again when they saw the caravans, losing the council revenue. He said later that the travellers left together yesterday lunchtime, leaving rubbish behind.
After the travellers left, our photographer discovered that steps near the flood barrier had been defecated on.
Russell Stone, head of public realm at City of York Council, said: “After our officers approached the groups and issued direction orders, the caravans moved off. We have already started the clear-up operation”.