Scheme submitted for wind turbine taller than York Minster

Scheme submitted for wind turbine taller than York Minster

Scheme submitted for wind turbine taller than York Minster

First published in News York Press: Photograph of the Author by

A WIND turbine higher than York Minster could be built on land near the city.

Plans to build the turbine at Murton Moor were submitted to City of York Council in December by Origin Energy, a company which promotes renewable energy and puts proceeds from energy sales back into the local community.

A report submitted with the plans said the turbine – which would be 61.5m high, but has 38m blades – could create enough energy to power 1,200 homes, and could bring £130,000 a year to the local community.

It said: “Origin hopes that in this way, communities can engage with their local environment and prosper thereby.”

However, Holtby resident Clare Hartley, of Holtby Grange Lane, has already objected to the plans on the council’s website, claiming it would “devastate” the local area.

She said: “The council has never and should never approve an application for a turbine of this magnitude. Putting this in context this is almost the same size as Big Ben (90m).

"At 80m high this will dwarf the local skyline and have a larger visual impact than the York Minster. Is this really what we want visitors to our community to associate with our beautiful, historic city?

“A turbine of this magnitude, indeed anything over 15m, is only really suitable for remote areas or off shore. This will quite simply cripple the local community.

“It is likely to have a significant impact on local house prices. Any blight caused in this regard should be seriously considered.”

The report said developers “anticipate that the owners of Leeds-Bradford airport may object to the proposal”, and RAF Linton-on-Ouse had also been approached but had not yet commented. Surveys of bats and birds would also be required ahead of any development.

Comments (45)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:45am Thu 13 Feb 14

Woody G Mellor says...

Yaaaawn. The Press trying to get a rise out of us, yet again.
Yaaaawn. The Press trying to get a rise out of us, yet again. Woody G Mellor
  • Score: -10

9:00am Thu 13 Feb 14

BL2 says...

"At 80m high this will dwarf the local skyline and have a larger visual impact than the York Minster. Is this really what we want visitors to our community to associate with our beautiful, historic city?

Actually, yes! That is if ou want to continue having affordable or any sort of power in the future. Local power generation from renewables is the only solution in the long term.
[quote]"At 80m high this will dwarf the local skyline and have a larger visual impact than the York Minster. Is this really what we want visitors to our community to associate with our beautiful, historic city? [/quote] Actually, yes! That is if ou want to continue having affordable or any sort of power in the future. Local power generation from renewables is the only solution in the long term. BL2
  • Score: 15

9:09am Thu 13 Feb 14

AnotherPointofView says...

"Devastate the local area" I don't think so. The floods in other parts of the country are devastating.

"cripple the local community"? I have no idea what you are talking about. Using such language really doesn't put any substance into your argument. It makes you look a drama queen.

IF the figures quoted of powering 1,200 homes are to be believed that is a lot of power and should be welcomed.
"Devastate the local area" I don't think so. The floods in other parts of the country are devastating. "cripple the local community"? I have no idea what you are talking about. Using such language really doesn't put any substance into your argument. It makes you look a drama queen. IF the figures quoted of powering 1,200 homes are to be believed that is a lot of power and should be welcomed. AnotherPointofView
  • Score: 48

9:10am Thu 13 Feb 14

dctyke says...

Since the name 'Origin' appeared at Weaverthorpe it has been nothing but strife and division. I can now see SIX turbines from my house and there are plans for loads more. They are not interested in green issues, just the loads and LOADS of money they can make from taxpayer funded schemes.
Since the name 'Origin' appeared at Weaverthorpe it has been nothing but strife and division. I can now see SIX turbines from my house and there are plans for loads more. They are not interested in green issues, just the loads and LOADS of money they can make from taxpayer funded schemes. dctyke
  • Score: 3

9:11am Thu 13 Feb 14

AnotherPointofView says...

If Ms Hartley really wants to stop the application, I suggest she find some bats in the area. I hear they can be "devastating" to planning applications!
If Ms Hartley really wants to stop the application, I suggest she find some bats in the area. I hear they can be "devastating" to planning applications! AnotherPointofView
  • Score: -11

9:16am Thu 13 Feb 14

anistasia says...

Eyesore for our skyline.and in high winds these generators get turned off.and for the amount of power they produce ruining a place like York not worth it and would York residents get a reduction in our bills I think not.
Eyesore for our skyline.and in high winds these generators get turned off.and for the amount of power they produce ruining a place like York not worth it and would York residents get a reduction in our bills I think not. anistasia
  • Score: 1

9:17am Thu 13 Feb 14

Shouter says...

God help those poor souls who live anywhere near this monstrosity. They certainly won't get any sleep and will almost certainly find their health affected. I can say this from personal experience, as was two miles from a windfarm and the noise from it, even at that distance was horrendous. A deep throb like a revving JCB could be heard day and night even through closed windows. There was no escape and no sleep!
God help those poor souls who live anywhere near this monstrosity. They certainly won't get any sleep and will almost certainly find their health affected. I can say this from personal experience, as was two miles from a windfarm and the noise from it, even at that distance was horrendous. A deep throb like a revving JCB could be heard day and night even through closed windows. There was no escape and no sleep! Shouter
  • Score: -6

9:20am Thu 13 Feb 14

The Great Buda says...

Rather a the sight of a turbine(s) than Eggbrough, Drax and Ferry Bridge beltching fumes all day long.
Rather a the sight of a turbine(s) than Eggbrough, Drax and Ferry Bridge beltching fumes all day long. The Great Buda
  • Score: 17

9:38am Thu 13 Feb 14

Buzzz Light-year says...

Lets play "wind turbine bingo!"

Points for spotting:

Monstrosity
Blight
Beautiful countryside
Inefficient
Once Great Britain
Cold windless nights
Greenwash
Carbon con

No points for spotting:
ColdAsChristmas
Lets play "wind turbine bingo!" Points for spotting: Monstrosity Blight Beautiful countryside Inefficient Once Great Britain Cold windless nights Greenwash Carbon con No points for spotting: ColdAsChristmas Buzzz Light-year
  • Score: 25

9:55am Thu 13 Feb 14

Archiebold the 1st says...

about time these were supported. how can everyone say eye sore with some of the buildings we have in York.. look at Hudson house. It makes a prison look posh. As long as this generates cheaper electricity for people I’m all for it. (would prefer off sore farms but hey how) as for the yorkshire countryside are you all mental.. its all power stations.. what would you rather look at a silent turbine or a scene out of the Simpsons...

the reason why we pay more for electricity then every other country is we do not have wind farms. fact. Off Norway they have loads of these but still they have a beautiful country AND cheap electrify.
about time these were supported. how can everyone say eye sore with some of the buildings we have in York.. look at Hudson house. It makes a prison look posh. As long as this generates cheaper electricity for people I’m all for it. (would prefer off sore farms but hey how) as for the yorkshire countryside are you all mental.. its all power stations.. what would you rather look at a silent turbine or a scene out of the Simpsons... the reason why we pay more for electricity then every other country is we do not have wind farms. fact. Off Norway they have loads of these but still they have a beautiful country AND cheap electrify. Archiebold the 1st
  • Score: 17

10:20am Thu 13 Feb 14

Garrowby Turnoff says...

It's a wind up...
It's a wind up... Garrowby Turnoff
  • Score: -30

11:18am Thu 13 Feb 14

emen says...

Archiebold the 1st wrote:
about time these were supported. how can everyone say eye sore with some of the buildings we have in York.. look at Hudson house. It makes a prison look posh. As long as this generates cheaper electricity for people I’m all for it. (would prefer off sore farms but hey how) as for the yorkshire countryside are you all mental.. its all power stations.. what would you rather look at a silent turbine or a scene out of the Simpsons...

the reason why we pay more for electricity then every other country is we do not have wind farms. fact. Off Norway they have loads of these but still they have a beautiful country AND cheap electrify.
Actually, despite all the hysteria, the UK has some of the lowest electricity prices in Europe. I know it doesn't seem it when you get the bill but it's an awful lot cheaper here than in many other countries.

And Norway doesn't actually generate much electricity from wind turbines. They don't need to because most of their energy comes from hydroelectric power plants.
[quote][p][bold]Archiebold the 1st[/bold] wrote: about time these were supported. how can everyone say eye sore with some of the buildings we have in York.. look at Hudson house. It makes a prison look posh. As long as this generates cheaper electricity for people I’m all for it. (would prefer off sore farms but hey how) as for the yorkshire countryside are you all mental.. its all power stations.. what would you rather look at a silent turbine or a scene out of the Simpsons... the reason why we pay more for electricity then every other country is we do not have wind farms. fact. Off Norway they have loads of these but still they have a beautiful country AND cheap electrify.[/p][/quote]Actually, despite all the hysteria, the UK has some of the lowest electricity prices in Europe. I know it doesn't seem it when you get the bill but it's an awful lot cheaper here than in many other countries. And Norway doesn't actually generate much electricity from wind turbines. They don't need to because most of their energy comes from hydroelectric power plants. emen
  • Score: -7

11:30am Thu 13 Feb 14

Archiebold the 1st says...

emen wrote:
Archiebold the 1st wrote: about time these were supported. how can everyone say eye sore with some of the buildings we have in York.. look at Hudson house. It makes a prison look posh. As long as this generates cheaper electricity for people I’m all for it. (would prefer off sore farms but hey how) as for the yorkshire countryside are you all mental.. its all power stations.. what would you rather look at a silent turbine or a scene out of the Simpsons... the reason why we pay more for electricity then every other country is we do not have wind farms. fact. Off Norway they have loads of these but still they have a beautiful country AND cheap electrify.
Actually, despite all the hysteria, the UK has some of the lowest electricity prices in Europe. I know it doesn't seem it when you get the bill but it's an awful lot cheaper here than in many other countries. And Norway doesn't actually generate much electricity from wind turbines. They don't need to because most of their energy comes from hydroelectric power plants.
Yes which is also a smart way of producing it. But having friends on the south of the country who get it from wind farms (which I’ve never noticed) they speak very highly of them.

Maybe other countries are cheaper but when you put into comparison their economy its very different. (i.e they don’t have a network of gas so is solely electricity.)

If everyone thinks these are bad wait until they start boaring the countryside for oil... lets face it future energy planning needs to be started now for 15 years time and nuclear & coal are not the way forward from a sustainability view. I just don’t see them as an eye sore at all.

What do people what a) energy shortage b) more power plants c) some fans.... I know which I would… i'd like to see hydro but not sure we have the right surroundings for it to work. Something needs to be done and green energy is the way forward. (from a petrol head)
[quote][p][bold]emen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Archiebold the 1st[/bold] wrote: about time these were supported. how can everyone say eye sore with some of the buildings we have in York.. look at Hudson house. It makes a prison look posh. As long as this generates cheaper electricity for people I’m all for it. (would prefer off sore farms but hey how) as for the yorkshire countryside are you all mental.. its all power stations.. what would you rather look at a silent turbine or a scene out of the Simpsons... the reason why we pay more for electricity then every other country is we do not have wind farms. fact. Off Norway they have loads of these but still they have a beautiful country AND cheap electrify.[/p][/quote]Actually, despite all the hysteria, the UK has some of the lowest electricity prices in Europe. I know it doesn't seem it when you get the bill but it's an awful lot cheaper here than in many other countries. And Norway doesn't actually generate much electricity from wind turbines. They don't need to because most of their energy comes from hydroelectric power plants.[/p][/quote]Yes which is also a smart way of producing it. But having friends on the south of the country who get it from wind farms (which I’ve never noticed) they speak very highly of them. Maybe other countries are cheaper but when you put into comparison their economy its very different. (i.e they don’t have a network of gas so is solely electricity.) If everyone thinks these are bad wait until they start boaring the countryside for oil... lets face it future energy planning needs to be started now for 15 years time and nuclear & coal are not the way forward from a sustainability view. I just don’t see them as an eye sore at all. What do people what a) energy shortage b) more power plants c) some fans.... I know which I would… i'd like to see hydro but not sure we have the right surroundings for it to work. Something needs to be done and green energy is the way forward. (from a petrol head) Archiebold the 1st
  • Score: 16

11:39am Thu 13 Feb 14

yorkshirelad says...

I too think we need a much more intelligent response to turbines. They've got be part of our energy strategy for the future. Sure, I think exact positioning is important, but we do tend to get carried away with hysterical responses to them.

Travelling across Europe, it is pretty clear that we've been left behind on wind energy and it's time we caught up.

We need low carbon energy solutions and this is one of them.

I share everyone's frustration at loaded headlines designed to create opposition...but, hey, great to see some more considered opinion in the Press comments.
I too think we need a much more intelligent response to turbines. They've got be part of our energy strategy for the future. Sure, I think exact positioning is important, but we do tend to get carried away with hysterical responses to them. Travelling across Europe, it is pretty clear that we've been left behind on wind energy and it's time we caught up. We need low carbon energy solutions and this is one of them. I share everyone's frustration at loaded headlines designed to create opposition...but, hey, great to see some more considered opinion in the Press comments. yorkshirelad
  • Score: -9

11:58am Thu 13 Feb 14

Archiebold the 1st says...

Shouter wrote:
God help those poor souls who live anywhere near this monstrosity. They certainly won't get any sleep and will almost certainly find their health affected. I can say this from personal experience, as was two miles from a windfarm and the noise from it, even at that distance was horrendous. A deep throb like a revving JCB could be heard day and night even through closed windows. There was no escape and no sleep!
how? didn't someone say earlier that there is next to no wind at night? and was this in or near a city centre where you expect noise anyway or rural?

If this is the case I’m pretty sure they could be turned off on a night when their productivity is at its lowest.

Its quieter than a power plant.
[quote][p][bold]Shouter[/bold] wrote: God help those poor souls who live anywhere near this monstrosity. They certainly won't get any sleep and will almost certainly find their health affected. I can say this from personal experience, as was two miles from a windfarm and the noise from it, even at that distance was horrendous. A deep throb like a revving JCB could be heard day and night even through closed windows. There was no escape and no sleep![/p][/quote]how? didn't someone say earlier that there is next to no wind at night? and was this in or near a city centre where you expect noise anyway or rural? If this is the case I’m pretty sure they could be turned off on a night when their productivity is at its lowest. Its quieter than a power plant. Archiebold the 1st
  • Score: -41

12:09pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Shouter says...

Archiebold the 1st wrote:
Shouter wrote:
God help those poor souls who live anywhere near this monstrosity. They certainly won't get any sleep and will almost certainly find their health affected. I can say this from personal experience, as was two miles from a windfarm and the noise from it, even at that distance was horrendous. A deep throb like a revving JCB could be heard day and night even through closed windows. There was no escape and no sleep!
how? didn't someone say earlier that there is next to no wind at night? and was this in or near a city centre where you expect noise anyway or rural?

If this is the case I’m pretty sure they could be turned off on a night when their productivity is at its lowest.

Its quieter than a power plant.
Really no wind at night? You obviously didn't experience the gales last night!
[quote][p][bold]Archiebold the 1st[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shouter[/bold] wrote: God help those poor souls who live anywhere near this monstrosity. They certainly won't get any sleep and will almost certainly find their health affected. I can say this from personal experience, as was two miles from a windfarm and the noise from it, even at that distance was horrendous. A deep throb like a revving JCB could be heard day and night even through closed windows. There was no escape and no sleep![/p][/quote]how? didn't someone say earlier that there is next to no wind at night? and was this in or near a city centre where you expect noise anyway or rural? If this is the case I’m pretty sure they could be turned off on a night when their productivity is at its lowest. Its quieter than a power plant.[/p][/quote]Really no wind at night? You obviously didn't experience the gales last night! Shouter
  • Score: -23

12:44pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Archiebold the 1st says...

Shouter wrote:
Archiebold the 1st wrote:
Shouter wrote: God help those poor souls who live anywhere near this monstrosity. They certainly won't get any sleep and will almost certainly find their health affected. I can say this from personal experience, as was two miles from a windfarm and the noise from it, even at that distance was horrendous. A deep throb like a revving JCB could be heard day and night even through closed windows. There was no escape and no sleep!
how? didn't someone say earlier that there is next to no wind at night? and was this in or near a city centre where you expect noise anyway or rural? If this is the case I’m pretty sure they could be turned off on a night when their productivity is at its lowest. Its quieter than a power plant.
Really no wind at night? You obviously didn't experience the gales last night!
haha wow one night in a year?? and actually i did... about 4:45 this morning i can confirm that there was no wind.. but anyway your argument is floored as the speed of the wind last night would be far louder then any propeller...

Just for you information there have been studies for the noise produced by these and at 400m its equivalent to a fridge.... Maybe you just have a buzzing in your head.
[quote][p][bold]Shouter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Archiebold the 1st[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shouter[/bold] wrote: God help those poor souls who live anywhere near this monstrosity. They certainly won't get any sleep and will almost certainly find their health affected. I can say this from personal experience, as was two miles from a windfarm and the noise from it, even at that distance was horrendous. A deep throb like a revving JCB could be heard day and night even through closed windows. There was no escape and no sleep![/p][/quote]how? didn't someone say earlier that there is next to no wind at night? and was this in or near a city centre where you expect noise anyway or rural? If this is the case I’m pretty sure they could be turned off on a night when their productivity is at its lowest. Its quieter than a power plant.[/p][/quote]Really no wind at night? You obviously didn't experience the gales last night![/p][/quote]haha wow one night in a year?? and actually i did... about 4:45 this morning i can confirm that there was no wind.. but anyway your argument is floored as the speed of the wind last night would be far louder then any propeller... Just for you information there have been studies for the noise produced by these and at 400m its equivalent to a fridge.... Maybe you just have a buzzing in your head. Archiebold the 1st
  • Score: -26

12:44pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Pinza-C55 says...

There's a photo on MSN today of an electricity pylon blown over at Houghton Le Spring - it's not very tall and it's open framework should make it less susceptible to wind damage, but over it went. I think I wouldn't want to live in an 80 metre radius of this 80 metre tall machine.
There's a photo on MSN today of an electricity pylon blown over at Houghton Le Spring - it's not very tall and it's open framework should make it less susceptible to wind damage, but over it went. I think I wouldn't want to live in an 80 metre radius of this 80 metre tall machine. Pinza-C55
  • Score: -45

12:46pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Archiebold the 1st says...

Archiebold the 1st wrote:
Shouter wrote:
Archiebold the 1st wrote:
Shouter wrote: God help those poor souls who live anywhere near this monstrosity. They certainly won't get any sleep and will almost certainly find their health affected. I can say this from personal experience, as was two miles from a windfarm and the noise from it, even at that distance was horrendous. A deep throb like a revving JCB could be heard day and night even through closed windows. There was no escape and no sleep!
how? didn't someone say earlier that there is next to no wind at night? and was this in or near a city centre where you expect noise anyway or rural? If this is the case I’m pretty sure they could be turned off on a night when their productivity is at its lowest. Its quieter than a power plant.
Really no wind at night? You obviously didn't experience the gales last night!
haha wow one night in a year?? and actually i did... about 4:45 this morning i can confirm that there was no wind.. but anyway your argument is floored as the speed of the wind last night would be far louder then any propeller... Just for you information there have been studies for the noise produced by these and at 400m its equivalent to a fridge.... Maybe you just have a buzzing in your head.
oh and in high winds as mentioned before they are turned off...
[quote][p][bold]Archiebold the 1st[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shouter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Archiebold the 1st[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shouter[/bold] wrote: God help those poor souls who live anywhere near this monstrosity. They certainly won't get any sleep and will almost certainly find their health affected. I can say this from personal experience, as was two miles from a windfarm and the noise from it, even at that distance was horrendous. A deep throb like a revving JCB could be heard day and night even through closed windows. There was no escape and no sleep![/p][/quote]how? didn't someone say earlier that there is next to no wind at night? and was this in or near a city centre where you expect noise anyway or rural? If this is the case I’m pretty sure they could be turned off on a night when their productivity is at its lowest. Its quieter than a power plant.[/p][/quote]Really no wind at night? You obviously didn't experience the gales last night![/p][/quote]haha wow one night in a year?? and actually i did... about 4:45 this morning i can confirm that there was no wind.. but anyway your argument is floored as the speed of the wind last night would be far louder then any propeller... Just for you information there have been studies for the noise produced by these and at 400m its equivalent to a fridge.... Maybe you just have a buzzing in your head.[/p][/quote]oh and in high winds as mentioned before they are turned off... Archiebold the 1st
  • Score: -29

12:57pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Rankled says...

Archiebold the 1st wrote:
Shouter wrote:
God help those poor souls who live anywhere near this monstrosity. They certainly won't get any sleep and will almost certainly find their health affected. I can say this from personal experience, as was two miles from a windfarm and the noise from it, even at that distance was horrendous. A deep throb like a revving JCB could be heard day and night even through closed windows. There was no escape and no sleep!
how? didn't someone say earlier that there is next to no wind at night? and was this in or near a city centre where you expect noise anyway or rural?

If this is the case I’m pretty sure they could be turned off on a night when their productivity is at its lowest.

Its quieter than a power plant.
Some of them are powered by the grid to keep them turning when there is no wind.
[quote][p][bold]Archiebold the 1st[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shouter[/bold] wrote: God help those poor souls who live anywhere near this monstrosity. They certainly won't get any sleep and will almost certainly find their health affected. I can say this from personal experience, as was two miles from a windfarm and the noise from it, even at that distance was horrendous. A deep throb like a revving JCB could be heard day and night even through closed windows. There was no escape and no sleep![/p][/quote]how? didn't someone say earlier that there is next to no wind at night? and was this in or near a city centre where you expect noise anyway or rural? If this is the case I’m pretty sure they could be turned off on a night when their productivity is at its lowest. Its quieter than a power plant.[/p][/quote]Some of them are powered by the grid to keep them turning when there is no wind. Rankled
  • Score: -23

1:01pm Thu 13 Feb 14

nvjames says...

That bit around the Minister itself is really windy, it would be best placed there.
That bit around the Minister itself is really windy, it would be best placed there. nvjames
  • Score: -30

1:06pm Thu 13 Feb 14

dsom73 says...

Rankled wrote:
Archiebold the 1st wrote:
Shouter wrote:
God help those poor souls who live anywhere near this monstrosity. They certainly won't get any sleep and will almost certainly find their health affected. I can say this from personal experience, as was two miles from a windfarm and the noise from it, even at that distance was horrendous. A deep throb like a revving JCB could be heard day and night even through closed windows. There was no escape and no sleep!
how? didn't someone say earlier that there is next to no wind at night? and was this in or near a city centre where you expect noise anyway or rural?

If this is the case I’m pretty sure they could be turned off on a night when their productivity is at its lowest.

Its quieter than a power plant.
Some of them are powered by the grid to keep them turning when there is no wind.
No they're not. Also, the shadows of the turning blades don't cause or trigger epilepsy, nor do they increase the speed of the wind or suck all the wind out of the weather.

the land will not take off in high winds.
the local birdlife will hardly even notice
they are not designed to collectively shunt Britain towards France using wind power.
[quote][p][bold]Rankled[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Archiebold the 1st[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shouter[/bold] wrote: God help those poor souls who live anywhere near this monstrosity. They certainly won't get any sleep and will almost certainly find their health affected. I can say this from personal experience, as was two miles from a windfarm and the noise from it, even at that distance was horrendous. A deep throb like a revving JCB could be heard day and night even through closed windows. There was no escape and no sleep![/p][/quote]how? didn't someone say earlier that there is next to no wind at night? and was this in or near a city centre where you expect noise anyway or rural? If this is the case I’m pretty sure they could be turned off on a night when their productivity is at its lowest. Its quieter than a power plant.[/p][/quote]Some of them are powered by the grid to keep them turning when there is no wind.[/p][/quote]No they're not. Also, the shadows of the turning blades don't cause or trigger epilepsy, nor do they increase the speed of the wind or suck all the wind out of the weather. the land will not take off in high winds. the local birdlife will hardly even notice they are not designed to collectively shunt Britain towards France using wind power. dsom73
  • Score: 44

1:39pm Thu 13 Feb 14

MouseHouse says...

Some of them are powered by the grid to keep them turning when there is no wind - that's a myth. This is simply not true.

What is true is that we've got to do something about a) power production and b) power consumption.

Wind, wave and solar are part of the solution, as is, and I can't beleive I'm saying this but I'm just about converted, nuclear power generation.

Education and better design of electronic kit and cars will help to reduce consumption. How about putting an "OFF" button on the front of things like TVs, and DVD players.
Some of them are powered by the grid to keep them turning when there is no wind - that's a myth. This is simply not true. What is true is that we've got to do something about a) power production and b) power consumption. Wind, wave and solar are part of the solution, as is, and I can't beleive I'm saying this but I'm just about converted, nuclear power generation. Education and better design of electronic kit and cars will help to reduce consumption. How about putting an "OFF" button on the front of things like TVs, and DVD players. MouseHouse
  • Score: 5

1:54pm Thu 13 Feb 14

ColdAsChristmas says...

Just keep Eggborough on coal and all will be fine. When you take the huge subsidy off renewable energy, it works out very expensive.
Sad that too many have been greenwashed by Andy D's carbon phobioa.
BTW, Norway sells us their North Sea gas because they don't need it. They invested in hydro electricity, 80% efficient, unlike windmills. Just take a look at the life span of a hydro plant and compare with the short life span of wind turbines. Forget about the carbon con you have been socially conditioned by and think about reliability, durability and efficiency. Windmills are a non-starter!
Just keep Eggborough on coal and all will be fine. When you take the huge subsidy off renewable energy, it works out very expensive. Sad that too many have been greenwashed by Andy D's carbon phobioa. BTW, Norway sells us their North Sea gas because they don't need it. They invested in hydro electricity, 80% efficient, unlike windmills. Just take a look at the life span of a hydro plant and compare with the short life span of wind turbines. Forget about the carbon con you have been socially conditioned by and think about reliability, durability and efficiency. Windmills are a non-starter! ColdAsChristmas
  • Score: -45

2:02pm Thu 13 Feb 14

york_chap says...

we have miles and miles of coastline - can't we harness wave power instead? Or stick this thing next to one of the existing coal-fired power stations out Selby way. The landscape there is already 'blighted' by electricity production so it wouldn't make much difference.
we have miles and miles of coastline - can't we harness wave power instead? Or stick this thing next to one of the existing coal-fired power stations out Selby way. The landscape there is already 'blighted' by electricity production so it wouldn't make much difference. york_chap
  • Score: -5

4:01pm Thu 13 Feb 14

YorkPatrol says...

nvjames wrote:
That bit around the Minister itself is really windy, it would be best placed there.
Or you could just **** in front of the turbine after a good curry
[quote][p][bold]nvjames[/bold] wrote: That bit around the Minister itself is really windy, it would be best placed there.[/p][/quote]Or you could just **** in front of the turbine after a good curry YorkPatrol
  • Score: -10

4:04pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Igiveinthen says...

BL2 wrote:
"At 80m high this will dwarf the local skyline and have a larger visual impact than the York Minster. Is this really what we want visitors to our community to associate with our beautiful, historic city?

Actually, yes! That is if ou want to continue having affordable or any sort of power in the future. Local power generation from renewables is the only solution in the long term.
Why not put the turbine in your backyard then, and we can all share the power without having to listen to the washing machine sound of the whirring blades!
[quote][p][bold]BL2[/bold] wrote: [quote]"At 80m high this will dwarf the local skyline and have a larger visual impact than the York Minster. Is this really what we want visitors to our community to associate with our beautiful, historic city? [/quote] Actually, yes! That is if ou want to continue having affordable or any sort of power in the future. Local power generation from renewables is the only solution in the long term.[/p][/quote]Why not put the turbine in your backyard then, and we can all share the power without having to listen to the washing machine sound of the whirring blades! Igiveinthen
  • Score: -46

4:05pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Pinza-C55 says...

york_chap wrote:
we have miles and miles of coastline - can't we harness wave power instead? Or stick this thing next to one of the existing coal-fired power stations out Selby way. The landscape there is already 'blighted' by electricity production so it wouldn't make much difference.
That would be far too sensible.
[quote][p][bold]york_chap[/bold] wrote: we have miles and miles of coastline - can't we harness wave power instead? Or stick this thing next to one of the existing coal-fired power stations out Selby way. The landscape there is already 'blighted' by electricity production so it wouldn't make much difference.[/p][/quote]That would be far too sensible. Pinza-C55
  • Score: -10

4:05pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Igiveinthen says...

AnotherPointofView wrote:
"Devastate the local area" I don't think so. The floods in other parts of the country are devastating.

"cripple the local community"? I have no idea what you are talking about. Using such language really doesn't put any substance into your argument. It makes you look a drama queen.

IF the figures quoted of powering 1,200 homes are to be believed that is a lot of power and should be welcomed.
Again put it your back garden then!
[quote][p][bold]AnotherPointofView[/bold] wrote: "Devastate the local area" I don't think so. The floods in other parts of the country are devastating. "cripple the local community"? I have no idea what you are talking about. Using such language really doesn't put any substance into your argument. It makes you look a drama queen. IF the figures quoted of powering 1,200 homes are to be believed that is a lot of power and should be welcomed.[/p][/quote]Again put it your back garden then! Igiveinthen
  • Score: -47

4:06pm Thu 13 Feb 14

The Great Buda says...

ColdAsChristmas wrote:
Just keep Eggborough on coal and all will be fine. When you take the huge subsidy off renewable energy, it works out very expensive.
Sad that too many have been greenwashed by Andy D's carbon phobioa.
BTW, Norway sells us their North Sea gas because they don't need it. They invested in hydro electricity, 80% efficient, unlike windmills. Just take a look at the life span of a hydro plant and compare with the short life span of wind turbines. Forget about the carbon con you have been socially conditioned by and think about reliability, durability and efficiency. Windmills are a non-starter!
More myths and lies from CAC.

In 2010 the subsidies gifted out to energy production where:

Oil, Coal and Gas: £3.63bn
Renewables: £1.4bn (of which wind got £0.7bn)

If we're getting rid of the subsidies for Wind, then it only makes sense to get rid of the rest as well. Lets have a fair market.
[quote][p][bold]ColdAsChristmas[/bold] wrote: Just keep Eggborough on coal and all will be fine. When you take the huge subsidy off renewable energy, it works out very expensive. Sad that too many have been greenwashed by Andy D's carbon phobioa. BTW, Norway sells us their North Sea gas because they don't need it. They invested in hydro electricity, 80% efficient, unlike windmills. Just take a look at the life span of a hydro plant and compare with the short life span of wind turbines. Forget about the carbon con you have been socially conditioned by and think about reliability, durability and efficiency. Windmills are a non-starter![/p][/quote]More myths and lies from CAC. In 2010 the subsidies gifted out to energy production where: Oil, Coal and Gas: £3.63bn Renewables: £1.4bn (of which wind got £0.7bn) If we're getting rid of the subsidies for Wind, then it only makes sense to get rid of the rest as well. Lets have a fair market. The Great Buda
  • Score: 25

4:08pm Thu 13 Feb 14

jph2014 says...

Ive read all the comments and can see decent points from both sides of the argument also I agree that there are some hideous buildings in and around York but these building just fade in to the surroundings.
Ive just driven through the nice little village of murton also through holtby and went to have a look at the proposed site and until you go and picture some thing that is bigger than the minster in position you are not really able to see just how horrid this thing could look,there is a smaller one at a farm further down the road which is noticeable but whilst unsightly its certainly isn't anywhere near the 80m that this thing would peak at
So whilst I am of the opinion that yes renewables are the way forward there also has to be certain guide lines which should be adhered to
The fact of the matter is that something of this size should not get planning permission yes there is the fact that it could power so many home and bring money in to the community but believe you me the only reason that this is going up is for the land owner to see his bank balance increase
Ive read all the comments and can see decent points from both sides of the argument also I agree that there are some hideous buildings in and around York but these building just fade in to the surroundings. Ive just driven through the nice little village of murton also through holtby and went to have a look at the proposed site and until you go and picture some thing that is bigger than the minster in position you are not really able to see just how horrid this thing could look,there is a smaller one at a farm further down the road which is noticeable but whilst unsightly its certainly isn't anywhere near the 80m that this thing would peak at So whilst I am of the opinion that yes renewables are the way forward there also has to be certain guide lines which should be adhered to The fact of the matter is that something of this size should not get planning permission yes there is the fact that it could power so many home and bring money in to the community but believe you me the only reason that this is going up is for the land owner to see his bank balance increase jph2014
  • Score: -6

4:11pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Igiveinthen says...

The Great Buda wrote:
Rather a the sight of a turbine(s) than Eggbrough, Drax and Ferry Bridge beltching fumes all day long.
Lets put ALL the turbines in your back garden then!, your sort are all for green power as long as you don't have to look or listen to it, I hope Eggborough power station gets sorted and keeps open, I for one don't want to rely on renewable energy, also you spelt it wrong IT'S EGGBOROUGH
[quote][p][bold]The Great Buda[/bold] wrote: Rather a the sight of a turbine(s) than Eggbrough, Drax and Ferry Bridge beltching fumes all day long.[/p][/quote]Lets put ALL the turbines in your back garden then!, your sort are all for green power as long as you don't have to look or listen to it, I hope Eggborough power station gets sorted and keeps open, I for one don't want to rely on renewable energy, also you spelt it wrong IT'S EGGBOROUGH Igiveinthen
  • Score: -35

4:13pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Igiveinthen says...

Archiebold the 1st wrote:
about time these were supported. how can everyone say eye sore with some of the buildings we have in York.. look at Hudson house. It makes a prison look posh. As long as this generates cheaper electricity for people I’m all for it. (would prefer off sore farms but hey how) as for the yorkshire countryside are you all mental.. its all power stations.. what would you rather look at a silent turbine or a scene out of the Simpsons...

the reason why we pay more for electricity then every other country is we do not have wind farms. fact. Off Norway they have loads of these but still they have a beautiful country AND cheap electrify.
Well you should join your other friends who support wind turbines and be the first to have a few of them in your back garden.
[quote][p][bold]Archiebold the 1st[/bold] wrote: about time these were supported. how can everyone say eye sore with some of the buildings we have in York.. look at Hudson house. It makes a prison look posh. As long as this generates cheaper electricity for people I’m all for it. (would prefer off sore farms but hey how) as for the yorkshire countryside are you all mental.. its all power stations.. what would you rather look at a silent turbine or a scene out of the Simpsons... the reason why we pay more for electricity then every other country is we do not have wind farms. fact. Off Norway they have loads of these but still they have a beautiful country AND cheap electrify.[/p][/quote]Well you should join your other friends who support wind turbines and be the first to have a few of them in your back garden. Igiveinthen
  • Score: -23

4:16pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Igiveinthen says...

dsom73 wrote:
Rankled wrote:
Archiebold the 1st wrote:
Shouter wrote:
God help those poor souls who live anywhere near this monstrosity. They certainly won't get any sleep and will almost certainly find their health affected. I can say this from personal experience, as was two miles from a windfarm and the noise from it, even at that distance was horrendous. A deep throb like a revving JCB could be heard day and night even through closed windows. There was no escape and no sleep!
how? didn't someone say earlier that there is next to no wind at night? and was this in or near a city centre where you expect noise anyway or rural?

If this is the case I’m pretty sure they could be turned off on a night when their productivity is at its lowest.

Its quieter than a power plant.
Some of them are powered by the grid to keep them turning when there is no wind.
No they're not. Also, the shadows of the turning blades don't cause or trigger epilepsy, nor do they increase the speed of the wind or suck all the wind out of the weather.

the land will not take off in high winds.
the local birdlife will hardly even notice
they are not designed to collectively shunt Britain towards France using wind power.
Can you have some in your garden then?
[quote][p][bold]dsom73[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rankled[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Archiebold the 1st[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shouter[/bold] wrote: God help those poor souls who live anywhere near this monstrosity. They certainly won't get any sleep and will almost certainly find their health affected. I can say this from personal experience, as was two miles from a windfarm and the noise from it, even at that distance was horrendous. A deep throb like a revving JCB could be heard day and night even through closed windows. There was no escape and no sleep![/p][/quote]how? didn't someone say earlier that there is next to no wind at night? and was this in or near a city centre where you expect noise anyway or rural? If this is the case I’m pretty sure they could be turned off on a night when their productivity is at its lowest. Its quieter than a power plant.[/p][/quote]Some of them are powered by the grid to keep them turning when there is no wind.[/p][/quote]No they're not. Also, the shadows of the turning blades don't cause or trigger epilepsy, nor do they increase the speed of the wind or suck all the wind out of the weather. the land will not take off in high winds. the local birdlife will hardly even notice they are not designed to collectively shunt Britain towards France using wind power.[/p][/quote]Can you have some in your garden then? Igiveinthen
  • Score: -24

5:18pm Thu 13 Feb 14

emen says...

The Great Buda wrote:
ColdAsChristmas wrote:
Just keep Eggborough on coal and all will be fine. When you take the huge subsidy off renewable energy, it works out very expensive.
Sad that too many have been greenwashed by Andy D's carbon phobioa.
BTW, Norway sells us their North Sea gas because they don't need it. They invested in hydro electricity, 80% efficient, unlike windmills. Just take a look at the life span of a hydro plant and compare with the short life span of wind turbines. Forget about the carbon con you have been socially conditioned by and think about reliability, durability and efficiency. Windmills are a non-starter!
More myths and lies from CAC.

In 2010 the subsidies gifted out to energy production where:

Oil, Coal and Gas: £3.63bn
Renewables: £1.4bn (of which wind got £0.7bn)

If we're getting rid of the subsidies for Wind, then it only makes sense to get rid of the rest as well. Lets have a fair market.
The "subsidy" you mention here is calculated from the reduced rate of VAT that consumers pay on domestic energy. Are you really advocating that household energy bills should be subject to VAT at the full rate?

Whilst I'm sure The Treasury would be glad of the extra income I wouldn't like to think of the consequences for people who are already struggling to pay their energy bills.

Personally, I'm very much for low environmental impact energy generation but if it really is so profitable then private capital should pay for it. If it's not then it should be centrally funded and owned by the country. We currently have the mad situation where public capital effectively funds private profit.
[quote][p][bold]The Great Buda[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ColdAsChristmas[/bold] wrote: Just keep Eggborough on coal and all will be fine. When you take the huge subsidy off renewable energy, it works out very expensive. Sad that too many have been greenwashed by Andy D's carbon phobioa. BTW, Norway sells us their North Sea gas because they don't need it. They invested in hydro electricity, 80% efficient, unlike windmills. Just take a look at the life span of a hydro plant and compare with the short life span of wind turbines. Forget about the carbon con you have been socially conditioned by and think about reliability, durability and efficiency. Windmills are a non-starter![/p][/quote]More myths and lies from CAC. In 2010 the subsidies gifted out to energy production where: Oil, Coal and Gas: £3.63bn Renewables: £1.4bn (of which wind got £0.7bn) If we're getting rid of the subsidies for Wind, then it only makes sense to get rid of the rest as well. Lets have a fair market.[/p][/quote]The "subsidy" you mention here is calculated from the reduced rate of VAT that consumers pay on domestic energy. Are you really advocating that household energy bills should be subject to VAT at the full rate? Whilst I'm sure The Treasury would be glad of the extra income I wouldn't like to think of the consequences for people who are already struggling to pay their energy bills. Personally, I'm very much for low environmental impact energy generation but if it really is so profitable then private capital should pay for it. If it's not then it should be centrally funded and owned by the country. We currently have the mad situation where public capital effectively funds private profit. emen
  • Score: -14

5:38pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Devils_advocate says...

BL2 wrote:
"At 80m high this will dwarf the local skyline and have a larger visual impact than the York Minster. Is this really what we want visitors to our community to associate with our beautiful, historic city?

Actually, yes! That is if ou want to continue having affordable or any sort of power in the future. Local power generation from renewables is the only solution in the long term.
Nah! Shale gas is the way to go.
[quote][p][bold]BL2[/bold] wrote: [quote]"At 80m high this will dwarf the local skyline and have a larger visual impact than the York Minster. Is this really what we want visitors to our community to associate with our beautiful, historic city? [/quote] Actually, yes! That is if ou want to continue having affordable or any sort of power in the future. Local power generation from renewables is the only solution in the long term.[/p][/quote]Nah! Shale gas is the way to go. Devils_advocate
  • Score: -13

7:01pm Thu 13 Feb 14

JasBro says...

I think wind turbines look gorgeous, very elegant, like a streamlined piece of modern art, set into the natural landscape.

I'm not trying to be facetious here, and I'm not trying to detract from anybody's genuine concerns, I just instinctively like them.
I think wind turbines look gorgeous, very elegant, like a streamlined piece of modern art, set into the natural landscape. I'm not trying to be facetious here, and I'm not trying to detract from anybody's genuine concerns, I just instinctively like them. JasBro
  • Score: -2

7:28pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Zebedee says...

Are you serious JasBro - or are you trying to bait the usual suspects on here?
Are you serious JasBro - or are you trying to bait the usual suspects on here? Zebedee
  • Score: -12

8:06pm Thu 13 Feb 14

JasBro says...

Yup, totally serious, not trying to wind anybody up.
Yup, totally serious, not trying to wind anybody up. JasBro
  • Score: 5

8:09pm Thu 13 Feb 14

AnotherPointofView says...

Igiveinthen wrote:
AnotherPointofView wrote:
"Devastate the local area" I don't think so. The floods in other parts of the country are devastating.

"cripple the local community"? I have no idea what you are talking about. Using such language really doesn't put any substance into your argument. It makes you look a drama queen.

IF the figures quoted of powering 1,200 homes are to be believed that is a lot of power and should be welcomed.
Again put it your back garden then!
It almost will be, so?
[quote][p][bold]Igiveinthen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AnotherPointofView[/bold] wrote: "Devastate the local area" I don't think so. The floods in other parts of the country are devastating. "cripple the local community"? I have no idea what you are talking about. Using such language really doesn't put any substance into your argument. It makes you look a drama queen. IF the figures quoted of powering 1,200 homes are to be believed that is a lot of power and should be welcomed.[/p][/quote]Again put it your back garden then![/p][/quote]It almost will be, so? AnotherPointofView
  • Score: 6

4:59am Fri 14 Feb 14

Magicman! says...

York has a river... and currently a lot of water flowing in it... and there is a 'barrage' of sorts at Naburn. why not do the sensible thing and fit hydro-electric turbines at Naburn on the river, instead of fartarsing around with wind
York has a river... and currently a lot of water flowing in it... and there is a 'barrage' of sorts at Naburn. why not do the sensible thing and fit hydro-electric turbines at Naburn on the river, instead of fartarsing around with wind Magicman!
  • Score: 4

7:22am Fri 14 Feb 14

Kroythrundthru says...

Call me miserable if you want but I would not be a happy bunny if this went ahead because NOTHING shoul distract anyone's eye from the sight of the Minster as you approach the City. Seeing the Minster stood majestically on the horizon of York truly defines the area as my home.
It was horrible to see the Big City Wheel stood at the same height of our Minster. It made me very angry....
I was always told that there was a law that decreed nothing should be allowed to be built higher than the Minster.
Call me miserable if you want but I would not be a happy bunny if this went ahead because NOTHING shoul distract anyone's eye from the sight of the Minster as you approach the City. Seeing the Minster stood majestically on the horizon of York truly defines the area as my home. It was horrible to see the Big City Wheel stood at the same height of our Minster. It made me very angry.... I was always told that there was a law that decreed nothing should be allowed to be built higher than the Minster. Kroythrundthru
  • Score: -3

10:25am Fri 14 Feb 14

Archiebold the 1st says...

Igiveinthen wrote:
Archiebold the 1st wrote: about time these were supported. how can everyone say eye sore with some of the buildings we have in York.. look at Hudson house. It makes a prison look posh. As long as this generates cheaper electricity for people I’m all for it. (would prefer off sore farms but hey how) as for the yorkshire countryside are you all mental.. its all power stations.. what would you rather look at a silent turbine or a scene out of the Simpsons... the reason why we pay more for electricity then every other country is we do not have wind farms. fact. Off Norway they have loads of these but still they have a beautiful country AND cheap electrify.
Well you should join your other friends who support wind turbines and be the first to have a few of them in your back garden.
i would if there was space... free electricity for having a fan in your garden.. go on then... would look better then the cheap solar pannels the rest of york is getting
[quote][p][bold]Igiveinthen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Archiebold the 1st[/bold] wrote: about time these were supported. how can everyone say eye sore with some of the buildings we have in York.. look at Hudson house. It makes a prison look posh. As long as this generates cheaper electricity for people I’m all for it. (would prefer off sore farms but hey how) as for the yorkshire countryside are you all mental.. its all power stations.. what would you rather look at a silent turbine or a scene out of the Simpsons... the reason why we pay more for electricity then every other country is we do not have wind farms. fact. Off Norway they have loads of these but still they have a beautiful country AND cheap electrify.[/p][/quote]Well you should join your other friends who support wind turbines and be the first to have a few of them in your back garden.[/p][/quote]i would if there was space... free electricity for having a fan in your garden.. go on then... would look better then the cheap solar pannels the rest of york is getting Archiebold the 1st
  • Score: 1

11:46am Sat 15 Feb 14

AnotherPointofView says...

Kroythrundthru wrote:
Call me miserable if you want but I would not be a happy bunny if this went ahead because NOTHING shoul distract anyone's eye from the sight of the Minster as you approach the City. Seeing the Minster stood majestically on the horizon of York truly defines the area as my home.
It was horrible to see the Big City Wheel stood at the same height of our Minster. It made me very angry....
I was always told that there was a law that decreed nothing should be allowed to be built higher than the Minster.
It's not in the city centre. It's about 4 miles out and nowhere near the Minster. You can't really compare this development to the Wheel.

Oh, I didn't call you miserable because you are entitled to your view. I agree that the view of the Minster is majestic when you approach the city but feel this is quite a distance outside the ring road.
[quote][p][bold]Kroythrundthru[/bold] wrote: Call me miserable if you want but I would not be a happy bunny if this went ahead because NOTHING shoul distract anyone's eye from the sight of the Minster as you approach the City. Seeing the Minster stood majestically on the horizon of York truly defines the area as my home. It was horrible to see the Big City Wheel stood at the same height of our Minster. It made me very angry.... I was always told that there was a law that decreed nothing should be allowed to be built higher than the Minster.[/p][/quote]It's not in the city centre. It's about 4 miles out and nowhere near the Minster. You can't really compare this development to the Wheel. Oh, I didn't call you miserable because you are entitled to your view. I agree that the view of the Minster is majestic when you approach the city but feel this is quite a distance outside the ring road. AnotherPointofView
  • Score: 0

4:46pm Tue 18 Feb 14

York_Jester says...

I genuinly like wind turbines, I think they look really good. I used to live in the countryside of Country Durham, quite close to where they were placed. They also placed some offshore in my home town of Hartlepool.

We need to have a long term plan for renewable energy. It's no use sitting back and saying "oh what a lovely city, but why aren't the lights on?"

There has to be some give and take, which unfortunately proved impossible when the NIMBYs rear their heads.
I genuinly like wind turbines, I think they look really good. I used to live in the countryside of Country Durham, quite close to where they were placed. They also placed some offshore in my home town of Hartlepool. We need to have a long term plan for renewable energy. It's no use sitting back and saying "oh what a lovely city, but why aren't the lights on?" There has to be some give and take, which unfortunately proved impossible when the NIMBYs rear their heads. York_Jester
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree