Report suggests fisherman died from carbon monoxide poisoning

York Press: Whitby harbour Whitby harbour

TWO fishermen who died in their bunks on a boat in a Yorkshire harbour were poisoned by carbon monoxide, an investigation has found.

Father of two Mark Arries, 26, and father of a four month old son Edward Ide, 21, were resting at Whitby harbour on the scallop dredger Eschcol on January 15, when the grill of a butane gas cooker was lit in the wheelhouse to warm the boat.

A report by the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) said: "When they were not seen as expected the following morning, crewmen from fishing vessels tied up close by forced open the wheelhouse door.

"The gas grill was still lit and the wheelhouse was full of fumes. The two men were dead in their bunks. Eshcol was not fitted with a carbon monoxide alarm."

The MAIB said carbon monoxide alarms should be fitted where gas cookers were used, and the small cookers should not be used as an alternative for heating.

A full report into the death of the two men, who were both from Northumberland, will be released following a full investigation.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree