Bonding Warehouse flats put on market

The banner down the side of the Bonding Warehouse by the side of the River Ouse in Skeldergate, York, advertising flats in the landmark building which have gone on the market with a starting price of  £625,000

The banner down the side of the Bonding Warehouse by the side of the River Ouse in Skeldergate, York, advertising flats in the landmark building which have gone on the market with a starting price of £625,000

First published in News York Press: Photograph of the Author by , Political Reporter

NEW apartments which will be part of the rebirth of a riverside landmark in York have gone on the market – with a starting price of £625,000.

The four apartments are being created through the redevelopment of the historic Bonding Warehouse, which closed more than 13 years ago following serious flooding and is now shrouded in sheeting as work on the prominent city-centre site continues.

The listed 19th-century building next to Skeldergate Bridge was bought in 2012 by York-based developers Grantside, who will have their own headquarters in new offices which are also part of the scheme.

The scheme includes a new mansard roof, which will house a pair of large two-bedroom apartments at the east end of the site.

New upper floors are being added to its western end, where two three-bedroom duplex apartments are also now available to buy.

The properties – which are being advertised on a banner down the side of the Bonding Warehouse – are due to be completed in May, with the office space being based on the ground and first floors of the building.

Grantside managing director Steve Davis said: “Our team have used the historic attributes of the building and created exceptional accommodation, which will see the building transformed from its derelict state to an impressive, sustainable place to live and work.

“We are looking forward to welcoming occupiers to their new offices and homes.”

The Bonding Warehouse’s last use before it closed in November 2000 was as a pub, restaurant and music venue.

But it was boarded up after the River Ouse reached record levels and flooded the building.

A series of plans for its regeneration were subsequently produced.

These included a hotel and restaurant and later a media arts centre, before Grantside’s purchase of the site led to plans for the apartments and offices being approved last year.

The conversion work is being carried out by the York office of Lindum Group Ltd.

Comments (29)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:31am Wed 22 Jan 14

take 5 says...

£625,000 for somewhere that floods bargain !!!!!!!
£625,000 for somewhere that floods bargain !!!!!!! take 5
  • Score: -15

9:46am Wed 22 Jan 14

sheps lad says...

Affordable housing?
Affordable housing? sheps lad
  • Score: -19

9:54am Wed 22 Jan 14

inthesticks says...

Someone`s made a killing here and it wasn`t the council who sold it for £1million if I remember rightly.
Still, it`s a beautiful building and i`m glad it`s being used again.
Someone`s made a killing here and it wasn`t the council who sold it for £1million if I remember rightly. Still, it`s a beautiful building and i`m glad it`s being used again. inthesticks
  • Score: -14

9:58am Wed 22 Jan 14

MouseHouse says...

Nice views of the river. The problem is the £625k flats will be in it.
Nice views of the river. The problem is the £625k flats will be in it. MouseHouse
  • Score: -17

10:26am Wed 22 Jan 14

YorkPatrol says...

take 5 wrote:
£625,000 for somewhere that floods bargain !!!!!!!
Will the top floor flood?
[quote][p][bold]take 5[/bold] wrote: £625,000 for somewhere that floods bargain !!!!!!![/p][/quote]Will the top floor flood? YorkPatrol
  • Score: -34

10:29am Wed 22 Jan 14

seatothewest says...

Yet another example of posh flats in the city centre. When will the City Council take much more action to provide homes for ordinary York people ???!!!
Yet another example of posh flats in the city centre. When will the City Council take much more action to provide homes for ordinary York people ???!!! seatothewest
  • Score: -40

10:47am Wed 22 Jan 14

pedalling paul says...

Hope the residents cycle parking space will not be seasonally flooded....!
Hope the residents cycle parking space will not be seasonally flooded....! pedalling paul
  • Score: 162

11:18am Wed 22 Jan 14

Whistlejacket says...

pedalling paul wrote:
Hope the residents cycle parking space will not be seasonally flooded....!
No Paul, it will be empty.
the kind of successful, wealthy, professionals who can afford to buy these apartments wouldn't be seen dead on a rusty old push-rod.
[quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: Hope the residents cycle parking space will not be seasonally flooded....![/p][/quote]No Paul, it will be empty. the kind of successful, wealthy, professionals who can afford to buy these apartments wouldn't be seen dead on a rusty old push-rod. Whistlejacket
  • Score: -31

11:31am Wed 22 Jan 14

again says...

Whistlejacket wrote:
pedalling paul wrote:
Hope the residents cycle parking space will not be seasonally flooded....!
No Paul, it will be empty.
the kind of successful, wealthy, professionals who can afford to buy these apartments wouldn't be seen dead on a rusty old push-rod.
Clearly you don't move in the right circles!

It's surprising how cycling has become a sport for the wealthy. Mind you, we tend to prefer warmer climes.
[quote][p][bold]Whistlejacket[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: Hope the residents cycle parking space will not be seasonally flooded....![/p][/quote]No Paul, it will be empty. the kind of successful, wealthy, professionals who can afford to buy these apartments wouldn't be seen dead on a rusty old push-rod.[/p][/quote]Clearly you don't move in the right circles! It's surprising how cycling has become a sport for the wealthy. Mind you, we tend to prefer warmer climes. again
  • Score: -60

12:07pm Wed 22 Jan 14

inthesticks says...

pedalling paul wrote:
Hope the residents cycle parking space will not be seasonally flooded....!
Kim Jong-un does more for North Korean tourism than you do for the cause of cyclists in York.
[quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: Hope the residents cycle parking space will not be seasonally flooded....![/p][/quote]Kim Jong-un does more for North Korean tourism than you do for the cause of cyclists in York. inthesticks
  • Score: -27

12:08pm Wed 22 Jan 14

tonyfromitaly says...

A nice old building. Good to see it being renovated and smartened up.
A piece of York history to be proud of.
A nice old building. Good to see it being renovated and smartened up. A piece of York history to be proud of. tonyfromitaly
  • Score: -27

12:19pm Wed 22 Jan 14

Garrowby Turnoff says...

pedalling paul wrote:
Hope the residents cycle parking space will not be seasonally flooded....!
Fishing again Paul? You've hooked a couple already I see..!
[quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: Hope the residents cycle parking space will not be seasonally flooded....![/p][/quote]Fishing again Paul? You've hooked a couple already I see..! Garrowby Turnoff
  • Score: -30

12:24pm Wed 22 Jan 14

Pedro says...

Whistlejacket wrote:
pedalling paul wrote:
Hope the residents cycle parking space will not be seasonally flooded....!
No Paul, it will be empty.
the kind of successful, wealthy, professionals who can afford to buy these apartments wouldn't be seen dead on a rusty old push-rod.
The Westgate Building has a cycle store. And look at the prices of those flats!
[quote][p][bold]Whistlejacket[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: Hope the residents cycle parking space will not be seasonally flooded....![/p][/quote]No Paul, it will be empty. the kind of successful, wealthy, professionals who can afford to buy these apartments wouldn't be seen dead on a rusty old push-rod.[/p][/quote]The Westgate Building has a cycle store. And look at the prices of those flats! Pedro
  • Score: -36

12:30pm Wed 22 Jan 14

inthesticks says...

Garrowby Turnoff wrote:
pedalling paul wrote:
Hope the residents cycle parking space will not be seasonally flooded....!
Fishing again Paul? You've hooked a couple already I see..!
No need to be glib. He does harm to the cyclists of York by his `gentle` sarcasm and (sometimes) stupid comments. There are cases of car drivers who have deliberately been careless on the road with cyclists and people have come to real harm. I think he is irresponsible in his attitude and could well be contributing to the bad feeling that some (admittedly idiotic) car drivers have towards cyclists.
[quote][p][bold]Garrowby Turnoff[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: Hope the residents cycle parking space will not be seasonally flooded....![/p][/quote]Fishing again Paul? You've hooked a couple already I see..![/p][/quote]No need to be glib. He does harm to the cyclists of York by his `gentle` sarcasm and (sometimes) stupid comments. There are cases of car drivers who have deliberately been careless on the road with cyclists and people have come to real harm. I think he is irresponsible in his attitude and could well be contributing to the bad feeling that some (admittedly idiotic) car drivers have towards cyclists. inthesticks
  • Score: -27

12:41pm Wed 22 Jan 14

JulieRed says...

Wow Thats a lot of money for a flat in a flood hot spot..... Bargain!
Wow Thats a lot of money for a flat in a flood hot spot..... Bargain! JulieRed
  • Score: -29

1:03pm Wed 22 Jan 14

yorkie71 says...

I hope the ground floor wont be anything but a storage area for water ... if it isn't it soon will be
I hope the ground floor wont be anything but a storage area for water ... if it isn't it soon will be yorkie71
  • Score: -20

1:31pm Wed 22 Jan 14

TCJYork says...

inthesticks wrote:
Garrowby Turnoff wrote:
pedalling paul wrote:
Hope the residents cycle parking space will not be seasonally flooded....!
Fishing again Paul? You've hooked a couple already I see..!
No need to be glib. He does harm to the cyclists of York by his `gentle` sarcasm and (sometimes) stupid comments. There are cases of car drivers who have deliberately been careless on the road with cyclists and people have come to real harm. I think he is irresponsible in his attitude and could well be contributing to the bad feeling that some (admittedly idiotic) car drivers have towards cyclists.
Are you suggesting that car drivers might mow down innocent cyclists because of Pedalling Paul's sarcastic comments on a local rag's comments section?
[quote][p][bold]inthesticks[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Garrowby Turnoff[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: Hope the residents cycle parking space will not be seasonally flooded....![/p][/quote]Fishing again Paul? You've hooked a couple already I see..![/p][/quote]No need to be glib. He does harm to the cyclists of York by his `gentle` sarcasm and (sometimes) stupid comments. There are cases of car drivers who have deliberately been careless on the road with cyclists and people have come to real harm. I think he is irresponsible in his attitude and could well be contributing to the bad feeling that some (admittedly idiotic) car drivers have towards cyclists.[/p][/quote]Are you suggesting that car drivers might mow down innocent cyclists because of Pedalling Paul's sarcastic comments on a local rag's comments section? TCJYork
  • Score: -16

2:11pm Wed 22 Jan 14

Priapus says...

Whistlejacket wrote:
pedalling paul wrote:
Hope the residents cycle parking space will not be seasonally flooded....!
No Paul, it will be empty.
the kind of successful, wealthy, professionals who can afford to buy these apartments wouldn't be seen dead on a rusty old push-rod.
Rubbish. According to Transport for London people who earn more than £50K per year are just as likely to cycle as those who earn under £20K. Suspect it is the same in York too - it's certainly the case among folks I know.

http://www.tfl.gov.u
k/assets/downloads/a
nalysis-of-cycling-p
otential.pdf.pdf
[quote][p][bold]Whistlejacket[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: Hope the residents cycle parking space will not be seasonally flooded....![/p][/quote]No Paul, it will be empty. the kind of successful, wealthy, professionals who can afford to buy these apartments wouldn't be seen dead on a rusty old push-rod.[/p][/quote]Rubbish. According to Transport for London people who earn more than £50K per year are just as likely to cycle as those who earn under £20K. Suspect it is the same in York too - it's certainly the case among folks I know. http://www.tfl.gov.u k/assets/downloads/a nalysis-of-cycling-p otential.pdf.pdf Priapus
  • Score: -27

2:47pm Wed 22 Jan 14

Garrowby Turnoff says...

TCJYork wrote:
inthesticks wrote:
Garrowby Turnoff wrote:
pedalling paul wrote:
Hope the residents cycle parking space will not be seasonally flooded....!
Fishing again Paul? You've hooked a couple already I see..!
No need to be glib. He does harm to the cyclists of York by his `gentle` sarcasm and (sometimes) stupid comments. There are cases of car drivers who have deliberately been careless on the road with cyclists and people have come to real harm. I think he is irresponsible in his attitude and could well be contributing to the bad feeling that some (admittedly idiotic) car drivers have towards cyclists.
Are you suggesting that car drivers might mow down innocent cyclists because of Pedalling Paul's sarcastic comments on a local rag's comments section?
Inthesticks is just wrankled at being tempted by PPs juicy worm post.
[quote][p][bold]TCJYork[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]inthesticks[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Garrowby Turnoff[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: Hope the residents cycle parking space will not be seasonally flooded....![/p][/quote]Fishing again Paul? You've hooked a couple already I see..![/p][/quote]No need to be glib. He does harm to the cyclists of York by his `gentle` sarcasm and (sometimes) stupid comments. There are cases of car drivers who have deliberately been careless on the road with cyclists and people have come to real harm. I think he is irresponsible in his attitude and could well be contributing to the bad feeling that some (admittedly idiotic) car drivers have towards cyclists.[/p][/quote]Are you suggesting that car drivers might mow down innocent cyclists because of Pedalling Paul's sarcastic comments on a local rag's comments section?[/p][/quote]Inthesticks is just wrankled at being tempted by PPs juicy worm post. Garrowby Turnoff
  • Score: -22

2:55pm Wed 22 Jan 14

ouseswimmer says...

Access will be tricky when it floods. The road around that area backs up completely cutting off the Bonding Warehouse.
Access will be tricky when it floods. The road around that area backs up completely cutting off the Bonding Warehouse. ouseswimmer
  • Score: -2

4:17pm Wed 22 Jan 14

inthesticks says...

Garrowby Turnoff wrote:
TCJYork wrote:
inthesticks wrote:
Garrowby Turnoff wrote:
pedalling paul wrote:
Hope the residents cycle parking space will not be seasonally flooded....!
Fishing again Paul? You've hooked a couple already I see..!
No need to be glib. He does harm to the cyclists of York by his `gentle` sarcasm and (sometimes) stupid comments. There are cases of car drivers who have deliberately been careless on the road with cyclists and people have come to real harm. I think he is irresponsible in his attitude and could well be contributing to the bad feeling that some (admittedly idiotic) car drivers have towards cyclists.
Are you suggesting that car drivers might mow down innocent cyclists because of Pedalling Paul's sarcastic comments on a local rag's comments section?
Inthesticks is just wrankled at being tempted by PPs juicy worm post.
I don`t know what you are talking about, I don`t have fat wrists. Oh, did you mean rankled. Maybe you`ve done a Bushism and put two words together...
[quote][p][bold]Garrowby Turnoff[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TCJYork[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]inthesticks[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Garrowby Turnoff[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: Hope the residents cycle parking space will not be seasonally flooded....![/p][/quote]Fishing again Paul? You've hooked a couple already I see..![/p][/quote]No need to be glib. He does harm to the cyclists of York by his `gentle` sarcasm and (sometimes) stupid comments. There are cases of car drivers who have deliberately been careless on the road with cyclists and people have come to real harm. I think he is irresponsible in his attitude and could well be contributing to the bad feeling that some (admittedly idiotic) car drivers have towards cyclists.[/p][/quote]Are you suggesting that car drivers might mow down innocent cyclists because of Pedalling Paul's sarcastic comments on a local rag's comments section?[/p][/quote]Inthesticks is just wrankled at being tempted by PPs juicy worm post.[/p][/quote]I don`t know what you are talking about, I don`t have fat wrists. Oh, did you mean rankled. Maybe you`ve done a Bushism and put two words together... inthesticks
  • Score: -8

2:42am Thu 23 Jan 14

Magicman! says...

clear evidence of vote hacking means I cannot comment on the article.
clear evidence of vote hacking means I cannot comment on the article. Magicman!
  • Score: -7

7:04am Thu 23 Jan 14

Davroshasissues says...

£625k and a free rowing boat for access...
£625k and a free rowing boat for access... Davroshasissues
  • Score: 2

12:14pm Thu 23 Jan 14

ouseswimmer says...

I see the non sleeping, single and lonely OCD sufferer is active again.
I see the non sleeping, single and lonely OCD sufferer is active again. ouseswimmer
  • Score: 2

2:35pm Thu 23 Jan 14

BKKYorkshireboy says...

inthesticks wrote:
Someone`s made a killing here and it wasn`t the council who sold it for £1million if I remember rightly. Still, it`s a beautiful building and i`m glad it`s being used again.
No doubt JA's fault!
I would imagine that if you added up the costs of developing the building and then added the £1m that they apparently paid the council then the figure will not be much higher than the combined sale value of the 4 flats. Building projects usually take twice as long and cost twice as much as initially estimated - I doubt the developers "made a killing" and the COYC was not ripped off if they paid £1m for the freehold..
[quote][p][bold]inthesticks[/bold] wrote: Someone`s made a killing here and it wasn`t the council who sold it for £1million if I remember rightly. Still, it`s a beautiful building and i`m glad it`s being used again.[/p][/quote]No doubt JA's fault! I would imagine that if you added up the costs of developing the building and then added the £1m that they apparently paid the council then the figure will not be much higher than the combined sale value of the 4 flats. Building projects usually take twice as long and cost twice as much as initially estimated - I doubt the developers "made a killing" and the COYC was not ripped off if they paid £1m for the freehold.. BKKYorkshireboy
  • Score: 2

2:37pm Thu 23 Jan 14

BKKYorkshireboy says...

seatothewest wrote:
Yet another example of posh flats in the city centre. When will the City Council take much more action to provide homes for ordinary York people ???!!!
Ordinary and affordable housing for "ordinary" York people are not going to be on prime real estate (middle of town, river views) you moron!
[quote][p][bold]seatothewest[/bold] wrote: Yet another example of posh flats in the city centre. When will the City Council take much more action to provide homes for ordinary York people ???!!![/p][/quote]Ordinary and affordable housing for "ordinary" York people are not going to be on prime real estate (middle of town, river views) you moron! BKKYorkshireboy
  • Score: 2

7:24pm Thu 23 Jan 14

Poppy01 says...

seatothewest wrote:
Yet another example of posh flats in the city centre. When will the City Council take much more action to provide homes for ordinary York people ???!!!
There are homes for ordinary York people, but the trouble is that they are being bought by people and institutions for investment and to Let. If the University of York had more halls of residence, there would be more affordable housing available in York.
[quote][p][bold]seatothewest[/bold] wrote: Yet another example of posh flats in the city centre. When will the City Council take much more action to provide homes for ordinary York people ???!!![/p][/quote]There are homes for ordinary York people, but the trouble is that they are being bought by people and institutions for investment and to Let. If the University of York had more halls of residence, there would be more affordable housing available in York. Poppy01
  • Score: 0

10:56pm Thu 23 Jan 14

inthesticks says...

BKKYorkshireboy wrote:
inthesticks wrote:
Someone`s made a killing here and it wasn`t the council who sold it for £1million if I remember rightly. Still, it`s a beautiful building and i`m glad it`s being used again.
No doubt JA's fault!
I would imagine that if you added up the costs of developing the building and then added the £1m that they apparently paid the council then the figure will not be much higher than the combined sale value of the 4 flats. Building projects usually take twice as long and cost twice as much as initially estimated - I doubt the developers "made a killing" and the COYC was not ripped off if they paid £1m for the freehold..
I never mentioned JA - it was way before his time. I just think that it was sold too cheaply. Just my opinion.
[quote][p][bold]BKKYorkshireboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]inthesticks[/bold] wrote: Someone`s made a killing here and it wasn`t the council who sold it for £1million if I remember rightly. Still, it`s a beautiful building and i`m glad it`s being used again.[/p][/quote]No doubt JA's fault! I would imagine that if you added up the costs of developing the building and then added the £1m that they apparently paid the council then the figure will not be much higher than the combined sale value of the 4 flats. Building projects usually take twice as long and cost twice as much as initially estimated - I doubt the developers "made a killing" and the COYC was not ripped off if they paid £1m for the freehold..[/p][/quote]I never mentioned JA - it was way before his time. I just think that it was sold too cheaply. Just my opinion. inthesticks
  • Score: 0

9:52am Fri 24 Jan 14

BKKYorkshireboy says...

inthesticks wrote:
BKKYorkshireboy wrote:
inthesticks wrote:
Someone`s made a killing here and it wasn`t the council who sold it for £1million if I remember rightly. Still, it`s a beautiful building and i`m glad it`s being used again.
No doubt JA's fault!
I would imagine that if you added up the costs of developing the building and then added the £1m that they apparently paid the council then the figure will not be much higher than the combined sale value of the 4 flats. Building projects usually take twice as long and cost twice as much as initially estimated - I doubt the developers "made a killing" and the COYC was not ripped off if they paid £1m for the freehold..
I never mentioned JA - it was way before his time. I just think that it was sold too cheaply. Just my opinion.
I am well aware that you didn't mention him and it was before his time.
I was being facetious.
[quote][p][bold]inthesticks[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BKKYorkshireboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]inthesticks[/bold] wrote: Someone`s made a killing here and it wasn`t the council who sold it for £1million if I remember rightly. Still, it`s a beautiful building and i`m glad it`s being used again.[/p][/quote]No doubt JA's fault! I would imagine that if you added up the costs of developing the building and then added the £1m that they apparently paid the council then the figure will not be much higher than the combined sale value of the 4 flats. Building projects usually take twice as long and cost twice as much as initially estimated - I doubt the developers "made a killing" and the COYC was not ripped off if they paid £1m for the freehold..[/p][/quote]I never mentioned JA - it was way before his time. I just think that it was sold too cheaply. Just my opinion.[/p][/quote]I am well aware that you didn't mention him and it was before his time. I was being facetious. BKKYorkshireboy
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree