Diggers prepare Walmgate site for construction of new hotel

A digger in the former car park in Walmgate

A digger in the former car park in Walmgate

First published in News

A CONTROVERSIAL York city-centre car park has closed and bulldozers have moved in, prior to construction of a new hotel.

Car Parking Management (CPM) Ltd opened the 45-space pay and display car park on the site of the former Infinity motorcycle showroom in Walmgate last July, without planning approval from City of York Council.

A retrospective planning application was turned down after officials said allowing more car parks did not fit in with the authority’s policy of encouraging sustainable transport and reducing the amount of private vehicles in the city centre.

Sojourn Hotels received permission for a Hotel Indigo on the site in 2011, saying it would create 40 new jobs, but work never started.

A spokeswoman for Sojourn Hotels was unable to comment yesterday, other than to say the new hotel was not now scheduled to open until spring 2015.

Comments (24)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:09am Wed 15 Jan 14

tricky1992000 says...

"A retrospective planning application was turned down after officials said allowing more car parks did not fit in with the authority’s policy of encouraging sustainable transport and reducing the amount of private vehicles in the city centre."

We really really should have a boycott of York City Centre.
"A retrospective planning application was turned down after officials said allowing more car parks did not fit in with the authority’s policy of encouraging sustainable transport and reducing the amount of private vehicles in the city centre." We really really should have a boycott of York City Centre. tricky1992000
  • Score: -51

10:24am Wed 15 Jan 14

BL2 says...

A retrospective planning application was turned down after officials said allowing more car parks did not fit in with the authority’s policy of encouraging sustainable transport and reducing the amount of private vehicles in the city centre.

It's policy of car hating and making everyones life difficult would be more accurate.
[quote]A retrospective planning application was turned down after officials said allowing more car parks did not fit in with the authority’s policy of encouraging sustainable transport and reducing the amount of private vehicles in the city centre. [/quote] It's policy of car hating and making everyones life difficult would be more accurate. BL2
  • Score: -9

10:27am Wed 15 Jan 14

asd says...

where will the guests of the hotel park then, if it wants to promote sustainable transport. Its this sweeping statement of everyone must stop using cars. Eventually cars will be virtually clean using technologies like hydrogen so the excuse of polluting will be out of the window. Cows pollute with methane more than anything else so should we cull them.
where will the guests of the hotel park then, if it wants to promote sustainable transport. Its this sweeping statement of everyone must stop using cars. Eventually cars will be virtually clean using technologies like hydrogen so the excuse of polluting will be out of the window. Cows pollute with methane more than anything else so should we cull them. asd
  • Score: -9

10:29am Wed 15 Jan 14

yourkidding says...

q
q yourkidding
  • Score: 6

10:30am Wed 15 Jan 14

yourkidding says...

I wonder if C.P.M will be in trouble for breaking the law ???
I wonder if C.P.M will be in trouble for breaking the law ??? yourkidding
  • Score: 7

10:40am Wed 15 Jan 14

roskoboskovic says...

the council and city traders will get whats coming to them when the new monks cross centre opens.funny how things are pushed through quickly when it suits ycc. affordable city centre parking-advantage residents. yet another hotel-advantage tourists.no contest in the eyes of alexander and chums.
the council and city traders will get whats coming to them when the new monks cross centre opens.funny how things are pushed through quickly when it suits ycc. affordable city centre parking-advantage residents. yet another hotel-advantage tourists.no contest in the eyes of alexander and chums. roskoboskovic
  • Score: -5

10:42am Wed 15 Jan 14

The Great Buda says...

Getting away from the CoUnCiL cOnSpIrAcY and anti-car bias rants, it is a very silly location for a car park.

Much better to park at Sainsburys on Foss Island, do some food shopping and you can park for free.
Getting away from the CoUnCiL cOnSpIrAcY and anti-car bias rants, it is a very silly location for a car park. Much better to park at Sainsburys on Foss Island, do some food shopping and you can park for free. The Great Buda
  • Score: 2

11:08am Wed 15 Jan 14

tricky1992000 says...

The Great Buda wrote:
Getting away from the CoUnCiL cOnSpIrAcY and anti-car bias rants, it is a very silly location for a car park.

Much better to park at Sainsburys on Foss Island, do some food shopping and you can park for free.
the fact the car park was always quite full says it was a very good location. I don't think the council liked being undercut.
[quote][p][bold]The Great Buda[/bold] wrote: Getting away from the CoUnCiL cOnSpIrAcY and anti-car bias rants, it is a very silly location for a car park. Much better to park at Sainsburys on Foss Island, do some food shopping and you can park for free.[/p][/quote]the fact the car park was always quite full says it was a very good location. I don't think the council liked being undercut. tricky1992000
  • Score: -18

11:23am Wed 15 Jan 14

Blythespirit says...

tricky1992000 wrote:
The Great Buda wrote:
Getting away from the CoUnCiL cOnSpIrAcY and anti-car bias rants, it is a very silly location for a car park.

Much better to park at Sainsburys on Foss Island, do some food shopping and you can park for free.
the fact the car park was always quite full says it was a very good location. I don't think the council liked being undercut.
It's a much better location for a car park than it is a hotel. Hardly the nicest location in town is it?
[quote][p][bold]tricky1992000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Great Buda[/bold] wrote: Getting away from the CoUnCiL cOnSpIrAcY and anti-car bias rants, it is a very silly location for a car park. Much better to park at Sainsburys on Foss Island, do some food shopping and you can park for free.[/p][/quote]the fact the car park was always quite full says it was a very good location. I don't think the council liked being undercut.[/p][/quote]It's a much better location for a car park than it is a hotel. Hardly the nicest location in town is it? Blythespirit
  • Score: -15

12:46pm Wed 15 Jan 14

Buzzz Light-year says...

Why boycott the city centre?
Why punish city centre traders for council policy?
Aren't they already victim to it?
Why boycott the city centre? Why punish city centre traders for council policy? Aren't they already victim to it? Buzzz Light-year
  • Score: 3

1:07pm Wed 15 Jan 14

Grey Lady says...

Why haven't they done an archeological dig on this site? It's been open for so long now, and that would have stopped the car park.
Why haven't they done an archeological dig on this site? It's been open for so long now, and that would have stopped the car park. Grey Lady
  • Score: -18

3:27pm Wed 15 Jan 14

Alf Garnett says...

tricky1992000 wrote:
"A retrospective planning application was turned down after officials said allowing more car parks did not fit in with the authority’s policy of encouraging sustainable transport and reducing the amount of private vehicles in the city centre."

We really really should have a boycott of York City Centre.
Utter tosh.
[quote][p][bold]tricky1992000[/bold] wrote: "A retrospective planning application was turned down after officials said allowing more car parks did not fit in with the authority’s policy of encouraging sustainable transport and reducing the amount of private vehicles in the city centre." We really really should have a boycott of York City Centre.[/p][/quote]Utter tosh. Alf Garnett
  • Score: 45

3:34pm Wed 15 Jan 14

Alf Garnett says...

asd wrote:
where will the guests of the hotel park then, if it wants to promote sustainable transport. Its this sweeping statement of everyone must stop using cars. Eventually cars will be virtually clean using technologies like hydrogen so the excuse of polluting will be out of the window. Cows pollute with methane more than anything else so should we cull them.
Eventually cars may well be entirely non-polluting though that won't make them any easier to accommodate within small-street places like York. York centre without unnecessary private car usage would be a much nicer place to be in. I'm always astonished at the insularity of views in this topic, as if York was the only city where strong measures have been taken to restrict private car usage. I agree with your point on methane. We would all be healthier if we didn't eat so much red meat anyway. Globally the tendency to meat eating is wholly unsustainable.
[quote][p][bold]asd[/bold] wrote: where will the guests of the hotel park then, if it wants to promote sustainable transport. Its this sweeping statement of everyone must stop using cars. Eventually cars will be virtually clean using technologies like hydrogen so the excuse of polluting will be out of the window. Cows pollute with methane more than anything else so should we cull them.[/p][/quote]Eventually cars may well be entirely non-polluting though that won't make them any easier to accommodate within small-street places like York. York centre without unnecessary private car usage would be a much nicer place to be in. I'm always astonished at the insularity of views in this topic, as if York was the only city where strong measures have been taken to restrict private car usage. I agree with your point on methane. We would all be healthier if we didn't eat so much red meat anyway. Globally the tendency to meat eating is wholly unsustainable. Alf Garnett
  • Score: 38

3:34pm Wed 15 Jan 14

Mullarkian says...

Super! - another hotel; just what York needs!
Super! - another hotel; just what York needs! Mullarkian
  • Score: 11

3:38pm Wed 15 Jan 14

tricky1992000 says...

Alf Garnett wrote:
tricky1992000 wrote:
"A retrospective planning application was turned down after officials said allowing more car parks did not fit in with the authority’s policy of encouraging sustainable transport and reducing the amount of private vehicles in the city centre."

We really really should have a boycott of York City Centre.
Utter tosh.
So when I can drive into the centre of Leeds at 40mph, with hardly any traffic, and park right by the city centre. for half the price of York parking, and then go to an ultra modern shopping centre. The idea of not using York city centre is "utter tosh" tell me, what does York city centre have going for it. is it the low cost parking, the easy access to shops, the size of the market? Going to York for me is Utter Tosh.
[quote][p][bold]Alf Garnett[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tricky1992000[/bold] wrote: "A retrospective planning application was turned down after officials said allowing more car parks did not fit in with the authority’s policy of encouraging sustainable transport and reducing the amount of private vehicles in the city centre." We really really should have a boycott of York City Centre.[/p][/quote]Utter tosh.[/p][/quote]So when I can drive into the centre of Leeds at 40mph, with hardly any traffic, and park right by the city centre. for half the price of York parking, and then go to an ultra modern shopping centre. The idea of not using York city centre is "utter tosh" tell me, what does York city centre have going for it. is it the low cost parking, the easy access to shops, the size of the market? Going to York for me is Utter Tosh. tricky1992000
  • Score: -30

3:47pm Wed 15 Jan 14

Alf Garnett says...

roskoboskovic wrote:
the council and city traders will get whats coming to them when the new monks cross centre opens.funny how things are pushed through quickly when it suits ycc. affordable city centre parking-advantage residents. yet another hotel-advantage tourists.no contest in the eyes of alexander and chums.
Get what's coming to them ? I thought that the local mythmakers had it that traders were against car restrictions. So how is Monk's Cross going to give them what they deserve ? As for Monk's Cross and its impact on the centre, so far York has three OOT centres yet the city centre is bucking national trends. According to Oxford University York is one of the cities which is expected to do well in the future, even though nationally city centres may well decline in terms of the footage of shopping on offer. You also overlook the point that many people come to York because it's York. Nice City, Minster, Walls, cafes, museums, quirky individual shops which aren't anywhere places. People who go to John Lewis (and it's only a ministore) will often buy online anyway. As for City parking, York is surrounded by carparks adjacent to the walls, all of them within about ten minutes walk of anywhere intra-muros. Nunnery Lane, Marygate, Bootham, Union Terrace, Monk Bar, Sainsbury's, St. George's Field, Castle. (Though it's time the last one disappeared). There is also carparking in Haymarket and Cemetery Road. How many more do you want ?
[quote][p][bold]roskoboskovic[/bold] wrote: the council and city traders will get whats coming to them when the new monks cross centre opens.funny how things are pushed through quickly when it suits ycc. affordable city centre parking-advantage residents. yet another hotel-advantage tourists.no contest in the eyes of alexander and chums.[/p][/quote]Get what's coming to them ? I thought that the local mythmakers had it that traders were against car restrictions. So how is Monk's Cross going to give them what they deserve ? As for Monk's Cross and its impact on the centre, so far York has three OOT centres yet the city centre is bucking national trends. According to Oxford University York is one of the cities which is expected to do well in the future, even though nationally city centres may well decline in terms of the footage of shopping on offer. You also overlook the point that many people come to York because it's York. Nice City, Minster, Walls, cafes, museums, quirky individual shops which aren't anywhere places. People who go to John Lewis (and it's only a ministore) will often buy online anyway. As for City parking, York is surrounded by carparks adjacent to the walls, all of them within about ten minutes walk of anywhere intra-muros. Nunnery Lane, Marygate, Bootham, Union Terrace, Monk Bar, Sainsbury's, St. George's Field, Castle. (Though it's time the last one disappeared). There is also carparking in Haymarket and Cemetery Road. How many more do you want ? Alf Garnett
  • Score: 40

3:52pm Wed 15 Jan 14

Alf Garnett says...

tricky1992000 wrote:
Alf Garnett wrote:
tricky1992000 wrote:
"A retrospective planning application was turned down after officials said allowing more car parks did not fit in with the authority’s policy of encouraging sustainable transport and reducing the amount of private vehicles in the city centre."

We really really should have a boycott of York City Centre.
Utter tosh.
So when I can drive into the centre of Leeds at 40mph, with hardly any traffic, and park right by the city centre. for half the price of York parking, and then go to an ultra modern shopping centre. The idea of not using York city centre is "utter tosh" tell me, what does York city centre have going for it. is it the low cost parking, the easy access to shops, the size of the market? Going to York for me is Utter Tosh.
Well if you want to travel a round 50-odd miles to drive into a city at 40 mph then clearly York isn't for you. I love Leeds but prefer going into York for less, both time and money. However, that's living in a free country for you.
[quote][p][bold]tricky1992000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alf Garnett[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tricky1992000[/bold] wrote: "A retrospective planning application was turned down after officials said allowing more car parks did not fit in with the authority’s policy of encouraging sustainable transport and reducing the amount of private vehicles in the city centre." We really really should have a boycott of York City Centre.[/p][/quote]Utter tosh.[/p][/quote]So when I can drive into the centre of Leeds at 40mph, with hardly any traffic, and park right by the city centre. for half the price of York parking, and then go to an ultra modern shopping centre. The idea of not using York city centre is "utter tosh" tell me, what does York city centre have going for it. is it the low cost parking, the easy access to shops, the size of the market? Going to York for me is Utter Tosh.[/p][/quote]Well if you want to travel a round 50-odd miles to drive into a city at 40 mph then clearly York isn't for you. I love Leeds but prefer going into York for less, both time and money. However, that's living in a free country for you. Alf Garnett
  • Score: 23

4:12pm Wed 15 Jan 14

tricky1992000 says...

Alf Garnett wrote:
tricky1992000 wrote:
Alf Garnett wrote:
tricky1992000 wrote:
"A retrospective planning application was turned down after officials said allowing more car parks did not fit in with the authority’s policy of encouraging sustainable transport and reducing the amount of private vehicles in the city centre."

We really really should have a boycott of York City Centre.
Utter tosh.
So when I can drive into the centre of Leeds at 40mph, with hardly any traffic, and park right by the city centre. for half the price of York parking, and then go to an ultra modern shopping centre. The idea of not using York city centre is "utter tosh" tell me, what does York city centre have going for it. is it the low cost parking, the easy access to shops, the size of the market? Going to York for me is Utter Tosh.
Well if you want to travel a round 50-odd miles to drive into a city at 40 mph then clearly York isn't for you. I love Leeds but prefer going into York for less, both time and money. However, that's living in a free country for you.
who says it's a 50 mile round trip for me (it's nearer 40, and york is a 28 mile round trip)? I no longer live in york (Selby), and besides when your engine is running at a constant speed it's more efficient that stopping and starting every 300 metres because of traffic lights, or even worse idling because of congestion, but then again York does not want to help car drivers.
[quote][p][bold]Alf Garnett[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tricky1992000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alf Garnett[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tricky1992000[/bold] wrote: "A retrospective planning application was turned down after officials said allowing more car parks did not fit in with the authority’s policy of encouraging sustainable transport and reducing the amount of private vehicles in the city centre." We really really should have a boycott of York City Centre.[/p][/quote]Utter tosh.[/p][/quote]So when I can drive into the centre of Leeds at 40mph, with hardly any traffic, and park right by the city centre. for half the price of York parking, and then go to an ultra modern shopping centre. The idea of not using York city centre is "utter tosh" tell me, what does York city centre have going for it. is it the low cost parking, the easy access to shops, the size of the market? Going to York for me is Utter Tosh.[/p][/quote]Well if you want to travel a round 50-odd miles to drive into a city at 40 mph then clearly York isn't for you. I love Leeds but prefer going into York for less, both time and money. However, that's living in a free country for you.[/p][/quote]who says it's a 50 mile round trip for me (it's nearer 40, and york is a 28 mile round trip)? I no longer live in york (Selby), and besides when your engine is running at a constant speed it's more efficient that stopping and starting every 300 metres because of traffic lights, or even worse idling because of congestion, but then again York does not want to help car drivers. tricky1992000
  • Score: -12

5:05pm Wed 15 Jan 14

Caecilius says...

tricky1992000 wrote:
Alf Garnett wrote:
tricky1992000 wrote:
"A retrospective planning application was turned down after officials said allowing more car parks did not fit in with the authority’s policy of encouraging sustainable transport and reducing the amount of private vehicles in the city centre."

We really really should have a boycott of York City Centre.
Utter tosh.
So when I can drive into the centre of Leeds at 40mph, with hardly any traffic, and park right by the city centre. for half the price of York parking, and then go to an ultra modern shopping centre. The idea of not using York city centre is "utter tosh" tell me, what does York city centre have going for it. is it the low cost parking, the easy access to shops, the size of the market? Going to York for me is Utter Tosh.
What does York city centre have going for it? If you live in York, you can walk there or catch the bus rather than going to the expense of travelling to Leeds. Plenty of people who don't live in York also think that this city has something going for it: if you go down to the railway station on a Saturday, you can stand and watch hundreds of them pouring in and out of the centre (on foot, over Lendal Bridge).
[quote][p][bold]tricky1992000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alf Garnett[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tricky1992000[/bold] wrote: "A retrospective planning application was turned down after officials said allowing more car parks did not fit in with the authority’s policy of encouraging sustainable transport and reducing the amount of private vehicles in the city centre." We really really should have a boycott of York City Centre.[/p][/quote]Utter tosh.[/p][/quote]So when I can drive into the centre of Leeds at 40mph, with hardly any traffic, and park right by the city centre. for half the price of York parking, and then go to an ultra modern shopping centre. The idea of not using York city centre is "utter tosh" tell me, what does York city centre have going for it. is it the low cost parking, the easy access to shops, the size of the market? Going to York for me is Utter Tosh.[/p][/quote]What does York city centre have going for it? If you live in York, you can walk there or catch the bus rather than going to the expense of travelling to Leeds. Plenty of people who don't live in York also think that this city has something going for it: if you go down to the railway station on a Saturday, you can stand and watch hundreds of them pouring in and out of the centre (on foot, over Lendal Bridge). Caecilius
  • Score: 26

5:13pm Wed 15 Jan 14

Caecilius says...

tricky1992000 wrote:
Alf Garnett wrote:
tricky1992000 wrote:
Alf Garnett wrote:
tricky1992000 wrote:
"A retrospective planning application was turned down after officials said allowing more car parks did not fit in with the authority’s policy of encouraging sustainable transport and reducing the amount of private vehicles in the city centre."

We really really should have a boycott of York City Centre.
Utter tosh.
So when I can drive into the centre of Leeds at 40mph, with hardly any traffic, and park right by the city centre. for half the price of York parking, and then go to an ultra modern shopping centre. The idea of not using York city centre is "utter tosh" tell me, what does York city centre have going for it. is it the low cost parking, the easy access to shops, the size of the market? Going to York for me is Utter Tosh.
Well if you want to travel a round 50-odd miles to drive into a city at 40 mph then clearly York isn't for you. I love Leeds but prefer going into York for less, both time and money. However, that's living in a free country for you.
who says it's a 50 mile round trip for me (it's nearer 40, and york is a 28 mile round trip)? I no longer live in york (Selby), and besides when your engine is running at a constant speed it's more efficient that stopping and starting every 300 metres because of traffic lights, or even worse idling because of congestion, but then again York does not want to help car drivers.
And who do you think is causing the congestion that you're sitting in? You are, along with other motorists, by electing to drive into the centre of what is essentially a medieval city that was never designed for motor vehicles. When you say "York does not want to help car drivers", what you really mean is "York refuses to give car drivers absolute priority over everybody else" - for example, by ripping out the traffic lights that give other people a chance to get across the road.
[quote][p][bold]tricky1992000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alf Garnett[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tricky1992000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alf Garnett[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tricky1992000[/bold] wrote: "A retrospective planning application was turned down after officials said allowing more car parks did not fit in with the authority’s policy of encouraging sustainable transport and reducing the amount of private vehicles in the city centre." We really really should have a boycott of York City Centre.[/p][/quote]Utter tosh.[/p][/quote]So when I can drive into the centre of Leeds at 40mph, with hardly any traffic, and park right by the city centre. for half the price of York parking, and then go to an ultra modern shopping centre. The idea of not using York city centre is "utter tosh" tell me, what does York city centre have going for it. is it the low cost parking, the easy access to shops, the size of the market? Going to York for me is Utter Tosh.[/p][/quote]Well if you want to travel a round 50-odd miles to drive into a city at 40 mph then clearly York isn't for you. I love Leeds but prefer going into York for less, both time and money. However, that's living in a free country for you.[/p][/quote]who says it's a 50 mile round trip for me (it's nearer 40, and york is a 28 mile round trip)? I no longer live in york (Selby), and besides when your engine is running at a constant speed it's more efficient that stopping and starting every 300 metres because of traffic lights, or even worse idling because of congestion, but then again York does not want to help car drivers.[/p][/quote]And who do you think is causing the congestion that you're sitting in? You are, along with other motorists, by electing to drive into the centre of what is essentially a medieval city that was never designed for motor vehicles. When you say "York does not want to help car drivers", what you really mean is "York refuses to give car drivers absolute priority over everybody else" - for example, by ripping out the traffic lights that give other people a chance to get across the road. Caecilius
  • Score: 32

6:12pm Wed 15 Jan 14

Alf Garnett says...

tricky1992000 wrote:
Alf Garnett wrote:
tricky1992000 wrote:
Alf Garnett wrote:
tricky1992000 wrote:
"A retrospective planning application was turned down after officials said allowing more car parks did not fit in with the authority’s policy of encouraging sustainable transport and reducing the amount of private vehicles in the city centre."

We really really should have a boycott of York City Centre.
Utter tosh.
So when I can drive into the centre of Leeds at 40mph, with hardly any traffic, and park right by the city centre. for half the price of York parking, and then go to an ultra modern shopping centre. The idea of not using York city centre is "utter tosh" tell me, what does York city centre have going for it. is it the low cost parking, the easy access to shops, the size of the market? Going to York for me is Utter Tosh.
Well if you want to travel a round 50-odd miles to drive into a city at 40 mph then clearly York isn't for you. I love Leeds but prefer going into York for less, both time and money. However, that's living in a free country for you.
who says it's a 50 mile round trip for me (it's nearer 40, and york is a 28 mile round trip)? I no longer live in york (Selby), and besides when your engine is running at a constant speed it's more efficient that stopping and starting every 300 metres because of traffic lights, or even worse idling because of congestion, but then again York does not want to help car drivers.
Well I suppose that if you live in Selby then this really isn't a relevant argument. In fact it's a sterile argument. Given that York city centre is performing very well and the carparks are pretty full - though mercifully not entirely so - then the parking policy seems to be not too far off the mark. The depressing thing is that there are still an awful lot of people who feel that it is an imposition to walk for five or ten minutes. I don't mean you of course.
[quote][p][bold]tricky1992000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alf Garnett[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tricky1992000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alf Garnett[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tricky1992000[/bold] wrote: "A retrospective planning application was turned down after officials said allowing more car parks did not fit in with the authority’s policy of encouraging sustainable transport and reducing the amount of private vehicles in the city centre." We really really should have a boycott of York City Centre.[/p][/quote]Utter tosh.[/p][/quote]So when I can drive into the centre of Leeds at 40mph, with hardly any traffic, and park right by the city centre. for half the price of York parking, and then go to an ultra modern shopping centre. The idea of not using York city centre is "utter tosh" tell me, what does York city centre have going for it. is it the low cost parking, the easy access to shops, the size of the market? Going to York for me is Utter Tosh.[/p][/quote]Well if you want to travel a round 50-odd miles to drive into a city at 40 mph then clearly York isn't for you. I love Leeds but prefer going into York for less, both time and money. However, that's living in a free country for you.[/p][/quote]who says it's a 50 mile round trip for me (it's nearer 40, and york is a 28 mile round trip)? I no longer live in york (Selby), and besides when your engine is running at a constant speed it's more efficient that stopping and starting every 300 metres because of traffic lights, or even worse idling because of congestion, but then again York does not want to help car drivers.[/p][/quote]Well I suppose that if you live in Selby then this really isn't a relevant argument. In fact it's a sterile argument. Given that York city centre is performing very well and the carparks are pretty full - though mercifully not entirely so - then the parking policy seems to be not too far off the mark. The depressing thing is that there are still an awful lot of people who feel that it is an imposition to walk for five or ten minutes. I don't mean you of course. Alf Garnett
  • Score: 41

6:17pm Wed 15 Jan 14

Alf Garnett says...

Blythespirit wrote:
tricky1992000 wrote:
The Great Buda wrote:
Getting away from the CoUnCiL cOnSpIrAcY and anti-car bias rants, it is a very silly location for a car park.

Much better to park at Sainsburys on Foss Island, do some food shopping and you can park for free.
the fact the car park was always quite full says it was a very good location. I don't think the council liked being undercut.
It's a much better location for a car park than it is a hotel. Hardly the nicest location in town is it?
A few years ago you could have said that about most of Fossgate and all of Walmgate. Not so today. Walmgate is going "up" with some good restaurants and shops. A hotel is just part of an ongoing process. It's called regeneration. I haven't noticed that the National Centre for Early Music is suffering from its location. Remember what The Calls in Leeds used to be like ?
[quote][p][bold]Blythespirit[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tricky1992000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Great Buda[/bold] wrote: Getting away from the CoUnCiL cOnSpIrAcY and anti-car bias rants, it is a very silly location for a car park. Much better to park at Sainsburys on Foss Island, do some food shopping and you can park for free.[/p][/quote]the fact the car park was always quite full says it was a very good location. I don't think the council liked being undercut.[/p][/quote]It's a much better location for a car park than it is a hotel. Hardly the nicest location in town is it?[/p][/quote]A few years ago you could have said that about most of Fossgate and all of Walmgate. Not so today. Walmgate is going "up" with some good restaurants and shops. A hotel is just part of an ongoing process. It's called regeneration. I haven't noticed that the National Centre for Early Music is suffering from its location. Remember what The Calls in Leeds used to be like ? Alf Garnett
  • Score: 37

12:32am Thu 16 Jan 14

Lionel richtie says...

Great news for the spread eagle pub :)
Great news for the spread eagle pub :) Lionel richtie
  • Score: 6

2:44am Thu 16 Jan 14

Magicman! says...

asd wrote:
where will the guests of the hotel park then, if it wants to promote sustainable transport. Its this sweeping statement of everyone must stop using cars. Eventually cars will be virtually clean using technologies like hydrogen so the excuse of polluting will be out of the window. Cows pollute with methane more than anything else so should we cull them.
Well maybe everybody could try walking down Coney Street with some of those 'clown trousers' on - you know the sorts, they're comically spaced about 1 meter away from your normal waistline the whole way around... if everybody was spaced out that much further apart, it then reduces how many people can walk along the street in comfort.
It sounds stupid, but this is exactly what happens on the roads - lots of people on their own occupying a 2meter by 2meter metal box on the street trying to get along it... 5 of these boxes holding just 5 people whilst taking up 20 square meters of road space (10m long by 2m wide), whilst a double decker 10m by 2m metal box is on that same road carrying 60 or more occupants. If everybody tried to travel by car when they wanted and along the streets they wanted to use then the city would have total chaos, and nobody getting anywhere in any decent time.

I have no objections to visitors to York who are using a hotel to park up at the car park for the hotel; and if the visitors are then going out to the Moors or the Dales then they can go around the ring road and then onto the extended road network... but if visitors are coming to a hotel in the city centre (anywhere within the city walls is in the 'city centre') and then expect to be able to drive to another point within the city centre, then they have a problem and need to reconsider the "have car, must drive everywhere" attitude they have.... a good example of this was some bloke who recently wrote a whining letter to The Press because he drove from Monk Bar hotel to the National Railway Museum (a distance of 1 mile as the crow flies) and got a fine for going over "the bridge".... he was staying within the city centre and had no reason to drive such a stupidly short distance. And it is car journeys like that which clog up our roads, making it harder for those with a undisputable need to drive to a certain location going via those same streets to actually get to the destination on time. I'm not saying 'remove all cars'; I'm saying 'get rid of stupidly short and unnecessary car journeys so that it is easier for those who must drive to be able to do so'.
[quote][p][bold]asd[/bold] wrote: where will the guests of the hotel park then, if it wants to promote sustainable transport. Its this sweeping statement of everyone must stop using cars. Eventually cars will be virtually clean using technologies like hydrogen so the excuse of polluting will be out of the window. Cows pollute with methane more than anything else so should we cull them.[/p][/quote]Well maybe everybody could try walking down Coney Street with some of those 'clown trousers' on - you know the sorts, they're comically spaced about 1 meter away from your normal waistline the whole way around... if everybody was spaced out that much further apart, it then reduces how many people can walk along the street in comfort. It sounds stupid, but this is exactly what happens on the roads - lots of people on their own occupying a 2meter by 2meter metal box on the street trying to get along it... 5 of these boxes holding just 5 people whilst taking up 20 square meters of road space (10m long by 2m wide), whilst a double decker 10m by 2m metal box is on that same road carrying 60 or more occupants. If everybody tried to travel by car when they wanted and along the streets they wanted to use then the city would have total chaos, and nobody getting anywhere in any decent time. I have no objections to visitors to York who are using a hotel to park up at the car park for the hotel; and if the visitors are then going out to the Moors or the Dales then they can go around the ring road and then onto the extended road network... but if visitors are coming to a hotel in the city centre (anywhere within the city walls is in the 'city centre') and then expect to be able to drive to another point within the city centre, then they have a problem and need to reconsider the "have car, must drive everywhere" attitude they have.... a good example of this was some bloke who recently wrote a whining letter to The Press because he drove from Monk Bar hotel to the National Railway Museum (a distance of 1 mile as the crow flies) and got a fine for going over "the bridge".... he was staying within the city centre and had no reason to drive such a stupidly short distance. And it is car journeys like that which clog up our roads, making it harder for those with a undisputable need to drive to a certain location going via those same streets to actually get to the destination on time. I'm not saying 'remove all cars'; I'm saying 'get rid of stupidly short and unnecessary car journeys so that it is easier for those who must drive to be able to do so'. Magicman!
  • Score: 8

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree