New bike-parking spaces for York unveiled

York Press: Coun Dave Merrett talks to Juliette Gregg from Jack Wolfskin at the new cycle parking area in Lendal Coun Dave Merrett talks to Juliette Gregg from Jack Wolfskin at the new cycle parking area in Lendal

NEW cycle racks have been unveiled in York city centre, bringing the number of spaces for bikes to more than 1,000.

The installation of new racks and the extension of others by City of York Council during this year has added 150 spaces throughout the city centre.

The new spaces are in Goodramgate, Piccadilly, King Street, North Street, Micklegate, opposite Lendal Post Office and at Nunnery Lane car park.

The racks at Library Square, the Castle Museum, Esplanade, Castle car park and outside Zizzi’s restaurant in Lendal have been expanded.

The project has cost £25,000, funded through the council’s local transport fund.

Cabinet member for transport Coun Dave Merrett, said: “We need to keep up with demand to make it as convenient as possible for people to choose cycling, and also so that cycles aren’t parked in inappropriate places such as against railings.”

Tim Lewis, manager of the Jack Wolfskin store in Lendal, said: “The extra cycle parking helps people make more use of York’s cycle network when shopping, and is a welcome addition for several members of staff who cycle to work.”

Comments (59)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:44pm Mon 2 Dec 13

MouseHouse says...

Good, but more still needed.
Good, but more still needed. MouseHouse

4:49pm Mon 2 Dec 13

Oyy you says...

Pedaling Paul Will be overjoyed........
Pedaling Paul Will be overjoyed........ Oyy you

4:55pm Mon 2 Dec 13

wobblesofpedallingplks says...

More blots on he landscape to go alongside all the scaffolding and people hanging around smoking outside the pubs.

Why can't they be located in public car parks around the edge of the city so that cyclists can walk in to the shops like everybody else?
More blots on he landscape to go alongside all the scaffolding and people hanging around smoking outside the pubs. Why can't they be located in public car parks around the edge of the city so that cyclists can walk in to the shops like everybody else? wobblesofpedallingplks

5:07pm Mon 2 Dec 13

CHISSY1 says...

Spend money on more toilets,they are more important than parking bikes.
Spend money on more toilets,they are more important than parking bikes. CHISSY1

5:33pm Mon 2 Dec 13

Caecilius says...

wobblesofpedallingpl
ks
wrote:
More blots on he landscape to go alongside all the scaffolding and people hanging around smoking outside the pubs.

Why can't they be located in public car parks around the edge of the city so that cyclists can walk in to the shops like everybody else?
Perhaps because, unlike many of the people who drive a car, cyclists are already taking some exercise and aren't in such dire need of it. But more likely because it takes very little room to park a bike and a lot of room to park a car, which is just one of the reasons why (unless they're being driven by someone with a disability) there's no place for cars in the city centre. The bottom line is, if you choose to drive there, the consequence may be that you're going to have to make the effort to walk a few hundred yards. If you're prepared to put in the physical effort needed to ride in on a bike, you may be able to leave it nearer your destination and walk a shorter distance. I say 'may' because you seem not to have noticed that two of the locations mentioned are actually IN a car park and that some of the others are bang next door to one.
[quote][p][bold]wobblesofpedallingpl ks[/bold] wrote: More blots on he landscape to go alongside all the scaffolding and people hanging around smoking outside the pubs. Why can't they be located in public car parks around the edge of the city so that cyclists can walk in to the shops like everybody else?[/p][/quote]Perhaps because, unlike many of the people who drive a car, cyclists are already taking some exercise and aren't in such dire need of it. But more likely because it takes very little room to park a bike and a lot of room to park a car, which is just one of the reasons why (unless they're being driven by someone with a disability) there's no place for cars in the city centre. The bottom line is, if you choose to drive there, the consequence may be that you're going to have to make the effort to walk a few hundred yards. If you're prepared to put in the physical effort needed to ride in on a bike, you may be able to leave it nearer your destination and walk a shorter distance. I say 'may' because you seem not to have noticed that two of the locations mentioned are actually IN a car park and that some of the others are bang next door to one. Caecilius

5:46pm Mon 2 Dec 13

bolero says...

wobblesofpedallingpl
ks
wrote:
More blots on he landscape to go alongside all the scaffolding and people hanging around smoking outside the pubs.

Why can't they be located in public car parks around the edge of the city so that cyclists can walk in to the shops like everybody else?
There is a large unused open space adjacent to the A1237 between the Haxby Road and Wigginton Road roundabouts which could accommodate a lot of cycle racks.
[quote][p][bold]wobblesofpedallingpl ks[/bold] wrote: More blots on he landscape to go alongside all the scaffolding and people hanging around smoking outside the pubs. Why can't they be located in public car parks around the edge of the city so that cyclists can walk in to the shops like everybody else?[/p][/quote]There is a large unused open space adjacent to the A1237 between the Haxby Road and Wigginton Road roundabouts which could accommodate a lot of cycle racks. bolero

5:58pm Mon 2 Dec 13

JHardacre says...

The cycles/racks in the photo are clearly blocking the pavement. Isn't that meant to be for pedestrians?
The cycles/racks in the photo are clearly blocking the pavement. Isn't that meant to be for pedestrians? JHardacre

5:59pm Mon 2 Dec 13

Igiveinthen says...

Why more cycle racks?, according to the figures released today re peoples modes of transport, it says more people use cars to get to work, then buses, trains etc. with cycles being the least favoured mode of transport, again it's the minority over the majority shows how this council views democracy, and yes I am a car driver as if you hadn't guessed!!!
Why more cycle racks?, according to the figures released today re peoples modes of transport, it says more people use cars to get to work, then buses, trains etc. with cycles being the least favoured mode of transport, again it's the minority over the majority shows how this council views democracy, and yes I am a car driver as if you hadn't guessed!!! Igiveinthen

6:32pm Mon 2 Dec 13

Sillybillies says...

See
http://www.bbc.co.uk
/news/business-25175
752 and http://www.bbc.co.uk
/news/uk-england-lon
don-25176031
See http://www.bbc.co.uk /news/business-25175 752 and http://www.bbc.co.uk /news/uk-england-lon don-25176031 Sillybillies

6:46pm Mon 2 Dec 13

imassey says...

Igiveinthen wrote:
Why more cycle racks?, according to the figures released today re peoples modes of transport, it says more people use cars to get to work, then buses, trains etc. with cycles being the least favoured mode of transport, again it's the minority over the majority shows how this council views democracy, and yes I am a car driver as if you hadn't guessed!!!
So, just because cycling is a minority, it shouldn't have money spent on it?
[quote][p][bold]Igiveinthen[/bold] wrote: Why more cycle racks?, according to the figures released today re peoples modes of transport, it says more people use cars to get to work, then buses, trains etc. with cycles being the least favoured mode of transport, again it's the minority over the majority shows how this council views democracy, and yes I am a car driver as if you hadn't guessed!!![/p][/quote]So, just because cycling is a minority, it shouldn't have money spent on it? imassey

7:20pm Mon 2 Dec 13

Igiveinthen says...

imassey wrote:
Igiveinthen wrote:
Why more cycle racks?, according to the figures released today re peoples modes of transport, it says more people use cars to get to work, then buses, trains etc. with cycles being the least favoured mode of transport, again it's the minority over the majority shows how this council views democracy, and yes I am a car driver as if you hadn't guessed!!!
So, just because cycling is a minority, it shouldn't have money spent on it?
I'm not saying you shouldn't have any money spent on hitching posts etc. for your wheelie things, but come on your not the only people who use the roads are you, it's plain as the nose on your face that you and yours are the councils favourite money sponge.
[quote][p][bold]imassey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Igiveinthen[/bold] wrote: Why more cycle racks?, according to the figures released today re peoples modes of transport, it says more people use cars to get to work, then buses, trains etc. with cycles being the least favoured mode of transport, again it's the minority over the majority shows how this council views democracy, and yes I am a car driver as if you hadn't guessed!!![/p][/quote]So, just because cycling is a minority, it shouldn't have money spent on it?[/p][/quote]I'm not saying you shouldn't have any money spent on hitching posts etc. for your wheelie things, but come on your not the only people who use the roads are you, it's plain as the nose on your face that you and yours are the councils favourite money sponge. Igiveinthen

7:31pm Mon 2 Dec 13

meme says...

Come on cyclist or not they are not harmful if put in right places
some are wasted like those on Queens staith that are covered in pigeon guano etc and unused
Come on cyclist or not they are not harmful if put in right places some are wasted like those on Queens staith that are covered in pigeon guano etc and unused meme

7:40pm Mon 2 Dec 13

Sarahl79 says...

It's alright adding extra bike racks around the city but more needs to be spent on bike safety and prevention of theft. I left my bike locked up with two locks to one of the stands they are talking about and when I came back it was gone. I contacted police and they advised that cycle theft in York was increasing and that they looked into it but the CCTV on one camera showed nothing and the other was obscured by building works! Also that thieves are taking nice bikes and taking them straight out of the city to sell elsewhere in the country. When I get my new bike I will not be bringing it into the city centre as it is not safe and would have probably been better fastened to a railing outside a pub!
It's alright adding extra bike racks around the city but more needs to be spent on bike safety and prevention of theft. I left my bike locked up with two locks to one of the stands they are talking about and when I came back it was gone. I contacted police and they advised that cycle theft in York was increasing and that they looked into it but the CCTV on one camera showed nothing and the other was obscured by building works! Also that thieves are taking nice bikes and taking them straight out of the city to sell elsewhere in the country. When I get my new bike I will not be bringing it into the city centre as it is not safe and would have probably been better fastened to a railing outside a pub! Sarahl79

7:49pm Mon 2 Dec 13

imassey says...

Igiveinthen wrote:
imassey wrote:
Igiveinthen wrote:
Why more cycle racks?, according to the figures released today re peoples modes of transport, it says more people use cars to get to work, then buses, trains etc. with cycles being the least favoured mode of transport, again it's the minority over the majority shows how this council views democracy, and yes I am a car driver as if you hadn't guessed!!!
So, just because cycling is a minority, it shouldn't have money spent on it?
I'm not saying you shouldn't have any money spent on hitching posts etc. for your wheelie things, but come on your not the only people who use the roads are you, it's plain as the nose on your face that you and yours are the councils favourite money sponge.
Yes, you're right in all you say. Cycle racks should be banished and the space made available to park one, maybe two cars in their stead. That way those who favour the car can get right into the centre of town and park, ignoring the fact that, as you point out, there are other road users.

Just for information though, I have a rather nice car. I do cycle, where and when appropriate, but I also drive, walk and use the bus. One of the roads that I use three of those methods on is closed next week for resurfacing, something that will benefit all road users, while not gritting roads will also affect cyclists.

And you have no idea of the size of my nose.
[quote][p][bold]Igiveinthen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]imassey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Igiveinthen[/bold] wrote: Why more cycle racks?, according to the figures released today re peoples modes of transport, it says more people use cars to get to work, then buses, trains etc. with cycles being the least favoured mode of transport, again it's the minority over the majority shows how this council views democracy, and yes I am a car driver as if you hadn't guessed!!![/p][/quote]So, just because cycling is a minority, it shouldn't have money spent on it?[/p][/quote]I'm not saying you shouldn't have any money spent on hitching posts etc. for your wheelie things, but come on your not the only people who use the roads are you, it's plain as the nose on your face that you and yours are the councils favourite money sponge.[/p][/quote]Yes, you're right in all you say. Cycle racks should be banished and the space made available to park one, maybe two cars in their stead. That way those who favour the car can get right into the centre of town and park, ignoring the fact that, as you point out, there are other road users. Just for information though, I have a rather nice car. I do cycle, where and when appropriate, but I also drive, walk and use the bus. One of the roads that I use three of those methods on is closed next week for resurfacing, something that will benefit all road users, while not gritting roads will also affect cyclists. And you have no idea of the size of my nose. imassey

7:59pm Mon 2 Dec 13

Buzzz Light-year says...

JHardacre wrote:
The cycles/racks in the photo are clearly blocking the pavement. Isn't that meant to be for pedestrians?
Your prejudice is clearly blocking your judgement. why don't you pop down to Lendal tomorrow and have a look for yourself?
[quote][p][bold]JHardacre[/bold] wrote: The cycles/racks in the photo are clearly blocking the pavement. Isn't that meant to be for pedestrians?[/p][/quote]Your prejudice is clearly blocking your judgement. why don't you pop down to Lendal tomorrow and have a look for yourself? Buzzz Light-year

10:25pm Mon 2 Dec 13

JHardacre says...

Buzzz Light-year wrote:
JHardacre wrote:
The cycles/racks in the photo are clearly blocking the pavement. Isn't that meant to be for pedestrians?
Your prejudice is clearly blocking your judgement. why don't you pop down to Lendal tomorrow and have a look for yourself?
How is making a well observed comment that the photo clearly shows a pedestrian path being partially blocked by cycle racks in any way prejudiced?

Me thinks you need you head examining.

And what the **** has Lendal bridge got to do with anything?
[quote][p][bold]Buzzz Light-year[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JHardacre[/bold] wrote: The cycles/racks in the photo are clearly blocking the pavement. Isn't that meant to be for pedestrians?[/p][/quote]Your prejudice is clearly blocking your judgement. why don't you pop down to Lendal tomorrow and have a look for yourself?[/p][/quote]How is making a well observed comment that the photo clearly shows a pedestrian path being partially blocked by cycle racks in any way prejudiced? Me thinks you need you head examining. And what the **** has Lendal bridge got to do with anything? JHardacre

10:30pm Mon 2 Dec 13

york_chap says...

"Coun Dave Merrett, said: “We need to make it as convenient as possible for people to choose cycling".

Why do you?

It's safe to say a majority of York residents would actually rather you made it as convenient as possible for people to choose driving; but you won't ever do that, will you?

For the record, I'm not against cycling or putting in a few extra racks (albeit I disagree with locating them so close to foot streets as it may encourage people to cycle in them illegally) - I just hate the way that skewed, green ideaology is constantly being rammed down York citizens' throats by Merret et al. We need a balanced and practical approach to transport planning - encourage cycling; but don't put this one transport option which is impractical for many, on a pedestal above all else.
"Coun Dave Merrett, said: “We need to make it as convenient as possible for people to choose cycling". Why do you? It's safe to say a majority of York residents would actually rather you made it as convenient as possible for people to choose driving; but you won't ever do that, will you? For the record, I'm not against cycling or putting in a few extra racks (albeit I disagree with locating them so close to foot streets as it may encourage people to cycle in them illegally) - I just hate the way that skewed, green ideaology is constantly being rammed down York citizens' throats by Merret et al. We need a balanced and practical approach to transport planning - encourage cycling; but don't put this one transport option which is impractical for many, on a pedestal above all else. york_chap

10:33pm Mon 2 Dec 13

pedalling paul says...

Oyy you wrote:
Pedaling Paul Will be overjoyed........
I certainly am! Thought I'd wait a while for the predictable comments from the usual suspects.

Security advice...visit http://www.itravelyo
rk.info/cycling/bike
-security/ Lock your bike with at least two locks of different design, to a fixed object. Get it Op Spoke marked and also open an Immobilise account to add its details along with all your other valuables.

Secure undercover parking (small daily fee) at the Bike Rescue place on Wellington Row, just by Lendal Bridge.

My urban sit up bike is less likely to appeal to thieves, & has three separate and different locking devices to boot.
[quote][p][bold]Oyy you[/bold] wrote: Pedaling Paul Will be overjoyed........[/p][/quote]I certainly am! Thought I'd wait a while for the predictable comments from the usual suspects. Security advice...visit http://www.itravelyo rk.info/cycling/bike -security/ Lock your bike with at least two locks of different design, to a fixed object. Get it Op Spoke marked and also open an Immobilise account to add its details along with all your other valuables. Secure undercover parking (small daily fee) at the Bike Rescue place on Wellington Row, just by Lendal Bridge. My urban sit up bike is less likely to appeal to thieves, & has three separate and different locking devices to boot. pedalling paul

1:14am Tue 3 Dec 13

Magicman! says...

^ Holy Cow! a PP post that HAS NOT got negative 'likes'! It's on +2 as I speak. No doubt that will have changed in a couple of hours.

The extra cycle racks are welcome, but a point worthy of note is what Merrit has said: “We need to keep up with demand to make it as convenient as possible for people to choose cycling, and also so that cycle aren’t parked in inappropriate places such as railings.” ... note the last phrase: so that cycles aren't parked in inappropriate places such as railings.
Now here's the thing, if a cycle is locked to a railing or a lamp post, that means that there isn't adequate parking provision in that area - in the same way as a motorist might park in a bus stop or on double yellow lines because there's no nearby car parks. For example, lets say you wish to go to a shop in Petergate, halfway down between Kings Square and Duncombe Place, and have come from the northeast of the city and are observing the prohibition on cycling through the pedestrianised area and it is raining heavily. Where do you park the bike? The closest designated racks are outside Boyes in Goodramgate or outside the Assembley Rooms on Davygate, which in the pouring rain is a fair walk... so a lot of people would park their bikes to railings near the Minster. You would have thought that the council would have had bike racks near the entrance to the Minster seeing as its a big attraction, in the way Cambridge and Oxford have their racks placed, but this is not the case.

Also take a look outside the rail station. All those bikes are locked to railings because the racks inside the station are either too full or a long walk from the ticket office - and lets remember the officially correct thing to do if you're taking a bike on a train is to go and lock the bike up in the racks, walk to the ticket office to buy a ticket, walk back to the bike, then walk back to the train with the bike.

Final point of note: the racks in Goodramgate house roughly 18 bicycles in the space that would otherwise hold at the most 2 cars, and only standard cars - not 7-seater XC90's or the like, as the space would only be big enough for one of those... so in all that space is housing transport for 18 people which otherwise would only be accommodating transport for 10 at the very most..... just imagine what York would look like if everybody who wanted to park their car wherever they liked were allowed to do so - we certainly wouldn't have as many tourists going around that's for sure!
^ Holy Cow! a PP post that HAS NOT got negative 'likes'! It's on +2 as I speak. No doubt that will have changed in a couple of hours. The extra cycle racks are welcome, but a point worthy of note is what Merrit has said: “We need to keep up with demand to make it as convenient as possible for people to choose cycling, and also so that cycle aren’t parked in inappropriate places such as railings.” ... note the last phrase: so that cycles aren't parked in inappropriate places such as railings. Now here's the thing, if a cycle is locked to a railing or a lamp post, that means that there isn't adequate parking provision in that area - in the same way as a motorist might park in a bus stop or on double yellow lines because there's no nearby car parks. For example, lets say you wish to go to a shop in Petergate, halfway down between Kings Square and Duncombe Place, and have come from the northeast of the city and are observing the prohibition on cycling through the pedestrianised area and it is raining heavily. Where do you park the bike? The closest designated racks are outside Boyes in Goodramgate or outside the Assembley Rooms on Davygate, which in the pouring rain is a fair walk... so a lot of people would park their bikes to railings near the Minster. You would have thought that the council would have had bike racks near the entrance to the Minster seeing as its a big attraction, in the way Cambridge and Oxford have their racks placed, but this is not the case. Also take a look outside the rail station. All those bikes are locked to railings because the racks inside the station are either too full or a long walk from the ticket office - and lets remember the officially correct thing to do if you're taking a bike on a train is to go and lock the bike up in the racks, walk to the ticket office to buy a ticket, walk back to the bike, then walk back to the train with the bike. Final point of note: the racks in Goodramgate house roughly 18 bicycles in the space that would otherwise hold at the most 2 cars, and only standard cars - not 7-seater XC90's or the like, as the space would only be big enough for one of those... so in all that space is housing transport for 18 people which otherwise would only be accommodating transport for 10 at the very most..... just imagine what York would look like if everybody who wanted to park their car wherever they liked were allowed to do so - we certainly wouldn't have as many tourists going around that's for sure! Magicman!

7:49am Tue 3 Dec 13

DEKKA says...

JHardacre wrote:
Buzzz Light-year wrote:
JHardacre wrote:
The cycles/racks in the photo are clearly blocking the pavement. Isn't that meant to be for pedestrians?
Your prejudice is clearly blocking your judgement. why don't you pop down to Lendal tomorrow and have a look for yourself?
How is making a well observed comment that the photo clearly shows a pedestrian path being partially blocked by cycle racks in any way prejudiced?

Me thinks you need you head examining.

And what the **** has Lendal bridge got to do with anything?
Lendal bridge has nothing to do with this so I have no idea why you mention it. The cycle racks shown are on Lendal, just by the Post Office.
[quote][p][bold]JHardacre[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Buzzz Light-year[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JHardacre[/bold] wrote: The cycles/racks in the photo are clearly blocking the pavement. Isn't that meant to be for pedestrians?[/p][/quote]Your prejudice is clearly blocking your judgement. why don't you pop down to Lendal tomorrow and have a look for yourself?[/p][/quote]How is making a well observed comment that the photo clearly shows a pedestrian path being partially blocked by cycle racks in any way prejudiced? Me thinks you need you head examining. And what the **** has Lendal bridge got to do with anything?[/p][/quote]Lendal bridge has nothing to do with this so I have no idea why you mention it. The cycle racks shown are on Lendal, just by the Post Office. DEKKA

8:23am Tue 3 Dec 13

York1234 says...

Excellent more places to put a bike.

Lets forget the number of services being cut and will continue to be cut. The constant yearly rise in Council Tax that happens - which conflicts with the Poverty Strategy and the constant trips abroad or the Awards Evening held last night.

Yes this leadership - both voted councillors and officers know exactly what is needed.
Excellent more places to put a bike. Lets forget the number of services being cut and will continue to be cut. The constant yearly rise in Council Tax that happens - which conflicts with the Poverty Strategy and the constant trips abroad or the Awards Evening held last night. Yes this leadership - both voted councillors and officers know exactly what is needed. York1234

8:54am Tue 3 Dec 13

The OX says...

pedalling paul wrote:
Oyy you wrote:
Pedaling Paul Will be overjoyed........
I certainly am! Thought I'd wait a while for the predictable comments from the usual suspects.

Security advice...visit http://www.itravelyo

rk.info/cycling/bike

-security/ Lock your bike with at least two locks of different design, to a fixed object. Get it Op Spoke marked and also open an Immobilise account to add its details along with all your other valuables.

Secure undercover parking (small daily fee) at the Bike Rescue place on Wellington Row, just by Lendal Bridge.

My urban sit up bike is less likely to appeal to thieves, & has three separate and different locking devices to boot.
Forget the above just go in the car it has locks and its own alarm, and you dont get wet hahahahahhahahahhaha
ahaha
[quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oyy you[/bold] wrote: Pedaling Paul Will be overjoyed........[/p][/quote]I certainly am! Thought I'd wait a while for the predictable comments from the usual suspects. Security advice...visit http://www.itravelyo rk.info/cycling/bike -security/ Lock your bike with at least two locks of different design, to a fixed object. Get it Op Spoke marked and also open an Immobilise account to add its details along with all your other valuables. Secure undercover parking (small daily fee) at the Bike Rescue place on Wellington Row, just by Lendal Bridge. My urban sit up bike is less likely to appeal to thieves, & has three separate and different locking devices to boot.[/p][/quote]Forget the above just go in the car it has locks and its own alarm, and you dont get wet hahahahahhahahahhaha ahaha The OX

10:14am Tue 3 Dec 13

pedalling paul says...

Magicman! wrote:
^ Holy Cow! a PP post that HAS NOT got negative 'likes'! It's on +2 as I speak. No doubt that will have changed in a couple of hours.

The extra cycle racks are welcome, but a point worthy of note is what Merrit has said: “We need to keep up with demand to make it as convenient as possible for people to choose cycling, and also so that cycle aren’t parked in inappropriate places such as railings.” ... note the last phrase: so that cycles aren't parked in inappropriate places such as railings.
Now here's the thing, if a cycle is locked to a railing or a lamp post, that means that there isn't adequate parking provision in that area - in the same way as a motorist might park in a bus stop or on double yellow lines because there's no nearby car parks. For example, lets say you wish to go to a shop in Petergate, halfway down between Kings Square and Duncombe Place, and have come from the northeast of the city and are observing the prohibition on cycling through the pedestrianised area and it is raining heavily. Where do you park the bike? The closest designated racks are outside Boyes in Goodramgate or outside the Assembley Rooms on Davygate, which in the pouring rain is a fair walk... so a lot of people would park their bikes to railings near the Minster. You would have thought that the council would have had bike racks near the entrance to the Minster seeing as its a big attraction, in the way Cambridge and Oxford have their racks placed, but this is not the case.

Also take a look outside the rail station. All those bikes are locked to railings because the racks inside the station are either too full or a long walk from the ticket office - and lets remember the officially correct thing to do if you're taking a bike on a train is to go and lock the bike up in the racks, walk to the ticket office to buy a ticket, walk back to the bike, then walk back to the train with the bike.

Final point of note: the racks in Goodramgate house roughly 18 bicycles in the space that would otherwise hold at the most 2 cars, and only standard cars - not 7-seater XC90's or the like, as the space would only be big enough for one of those... so in all that space is housing transport for 18 people which otherwise would only be accommodating transport for 10 at the very most..... just imagine what York would look like if everybody who wanted to park their car wherever they liked were allowed to do so - we certainly wouldn't have as many tourists going around that's for sure!
York station has some short stay bike racks immediately outside the travel centre. Useful because cyclists can keep an eye on their bike & luggage from inside., while buying tickets. Additional "double deck" cycle parking was added by East Coast at the station's north end, replacing a number of short stay car bays. These are extremely well used as they are convenient for cyclists coming up the new entrance route from the riverside.(Esplanade
)
A periodic clear out of abandoned bikes from the south end racks ensures that there is always capacity to park there. And if you are a regular user a of high end value bike, there is a secure compound managed by Cycle Heaven, with key fob access.
[quote][p][bold]Magicman![/bold] wrote: ^ Holy Cow! a PP post that HAS NOT got negative 'likes'! It's on +2 as I speak. No doubt that will have changed in a couple of hours. The extra cycle racks are welcome, but a point worthy of note is what Merrit has said: “We need to keep up with demand to make it as convenient as possible for people to choose cycling, and also so that cycle aren’t parked in inappropriate places such as railings.” ... note the last phrase: so that cycles aren't parked in inappropriate places such as railings. Now here's the thing, if a cycle is locked to a railing or a lamp post, that means that there isn't adequate parking provision in that area - in the same way as a motorist might park in a bus stop or on double yellow lines because there's no nearby car parks. For example, lets say you wish to go to a shop in Petergate, halfway down between Kings Square and Duncombe Place, and have come from the northeast of the city and are observing the prohibition on cycling through the pedestrianised area and it is raining heavily. Where do you park the bike? The closest designated racks are outside Boyes in Goodramgate or outside the Assembley Rooms on Davygate, which in the pouring rain is a fair walk... so a lot of people would park their bikes to railings near the Minster. You would have thought that the council would have had bike racks near the entrance to the Minster seeing as its a big attraction, in the way Cambridge and Oxford have their racks placed, but this is not the case. Also take a look outside the rail station. All those bikes are locked to railings because the racks inside the station are either too full or a long walk from the ticket office - and lets remember the officially correct thing to do if you're taking a bike on a train is to go and lock the bike up in the racks, walk to the ticket office to buy a ticket, walk back to the bike, then walk back to the train with the bike. Final point of note: the racks in Goodramgate house roughly 18 bicycles in the space that would otherwise hold at the most 2 cars, and only standard cars - not 7-seater XC90's or the like, as the space would only be big enough for one of those... so in all that space is housing transport for 18 people which otherwise would only be accommodating transport for 10 at the very most..... just imagine what York would look like if everybody who wanted to park their car wherever they liked were allowed to do so - we certainly wouldn't have as many tourists going around that's for sure![/p][/quote]York station has some short stay bike racks immediately outside the travel centre. Useful because cyclists can keep an eye on their bike & luggage from inside., while buying tickets. Additional "double deck" cycle parking was added by East Coast at the station's north end, replacing a number of short stay car bays. These are extremely well used as they are convenient for cyclists coming up the new entrance route from the riverside.(Esplanade ) A periodic clear out of abandoned bikes from the south end racks ensures that there is always capacity to park there. And if you are a regular user a of high end value bike, there is a secure compound managed by Cycle Heaven, with key fob access. pedalling paul

10:43am Tue 3 Dec 13

YorkPatrol says...

It’s more car parking and cheaper current parking that is required in the centre of York. This isn’t said to annoy the pathetic single minded bike people, it’s simply the requirement of a vibrant city centre as is re-opening Lendal Bridge! The sooner people wake up and realise this the better or the centre of York will become a ghost town. If you want to encourage and expand city centre trade and retail, I’m afraid supporting the motorist is a must – People can only carry so much on a park & ride or a silly bike
It’s more car parking and cheaper current parking that is required in the centre of York. This isn’t said to annoy the pathetic single minded bike people, it’s simply the requirement of a vibrant city centre as is re-opening Lendal Bridge! The sooner people wake up and realise this the better or the centre of York will become a ghost town. If you want to encourage and expand city centre trade and retail, I’m afraid supporting the motorist is a must – People can only carry so much on a park & ride or a silly bike YorkPatrol

10:45am Tue 3 Dec 13

smiler45 says...

wobblesofpedallingpl
ks
wrote:
More blots on he landscape to go alongside all the scaffolding and people hanging around smoking outside the pubs.

Why can't they be located in public car parks around the edge of the city so that cyclists can walk in to the shops like everybody else?
No-one knows what legs are for nowadays, they just think there for peddling a bike.
[quote][p][bold]wobblesofpedallingpl ks[/bold] wrote: More blots on he landscape to go alongside all the scaffolding and people hanging around smoking outside the pubs. Why can't they be located in public car parks around the edge of the city so that cyclists can walk in to the shops like everybody else?[/p][/quote]No-one knows what legs are for nowadays, they just think there for peddling a bike. smiler45

11:09am Tue 3 Dec 13

Buzzz Light-year says...

JHardacre wrote:
Buzzz Light-year wrote:
JHardacre wrote:
The cycles/racks in the photo are clearly blocking the pavement. Isn't that meant to be for pedestrians?
Your prejudice is clearly blocking your judgement. why don't you pop down to Lendal tomorrow and have a look for yourself?
How is making a well observed comment that the photo clearly shows a pedestrian path being partially blocked by cycle racks in any way prejudiced?

Me thinks you need you head examining.

And what the **** has Lendal bridge got to do with anything?
Who said anything about the bridge? Not me.
The genuinely well-observed will know that the street in the picture is called Lendal and the racks are outside the main post office, address 22 Lendal.

The racks have been installed on a section which has been built out from the footpath so they do not block it.

Like i said why don't you pop down to Lendal and have a look for yourself?

Then in future you might have some facts to back you up when you're throwing your massive attitude around.
[quote][p][bold]JHardacre[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Buzzz Light-year[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JHardacre[/bold] wrote: The cycles/racks in the photo are clearly blocking the pavement. Isn't that meant to be for pedestrians?[/p][/quote]Your prejudice is clearly blocking your judgement. why don't you pop down to Lendal tomorrow and have a look for yourself?[/p][/quote]How is making a well observed comment that the photo clearly shows a pedestrian path being partially blocked by cycle racks in any way prejudiced? Me thinks you need you head examining. And what the **** has Lendal bridge got to do with anything?[/p][/quote]Who said anything about the bridge? Not me. The genuinely well-observed will know that the street in the picture is called Lendal and the racks are outside the main post office, address 22 Lendal. The racks have been installed on a section which has been built out from the footpath so they do not block it. Like i said why don't you pop down to Lendal and have a look for yourself? Then in future you might have some facts to back you up when you're throwing your massive attitude around. Buzzz Light-year

11:11am Tue 3 Dec 13

roskoboskovic says...

funny how cash can always be found for certain things but not others.my street will probably stay frozen over for several months when the freeze comes yet the low moor cycle path will be kept clear.our biggest open street in the city centre,parliament st is reduced to an eyesore by the redundant fountain and the ugly cycle racks.bring the market into the main street and get the bikes onto the newgate site.oh i forgot,the council make to much money on these poncy short term street fayres/markets don t they.
funny how cash can always be found for certain things but not others.my street will probably stay frozen over for several months when the freeze comes yet the low moor cycle path will be kept clear.our biggest open street in the city centre,parliament st is reduced to an eyesore by the redundant fountain and the ugly cycle racks.bring the market into the main street and get the bikes onto the newgate site.oh i forgot,the council make to much money on these poncy short term street fayres/markets don t they. roskoboskovic

11:59am Tue 3 Dec 13

Igiveinthen says...

pedalling paul wrote:
Magicman! wrote: ^ Holy Cow! a PP post that HAS NOT got negative 'likes'! It's on +2 as I speak. No doubt that will have changed in a couple of hours. The extra cycle racks are welcome, but a point worthy of note is what Merrit has said: “We need to keep up with demand to make it as convenient as possible for people to choose cycling, and also so that cycle aren’t parked in inappropriate places such as railings.” ... note the last phrase: so that cycles aren't parked in inappropriate places such as railings. Now here's the thing, if a cycle is locked to a railing or a lamp post, that means that there isn't adequate parking provision in that area - in the same way as a motorist might park in a bus stop or on double yellow lines because there's no nearby car parks. For example, lets say you wish to go to a shop in Petergate, halfway down between Kings Square and Duncombe Place, and have come from the northeast of the city and are observing the prohibition on cycling through the pedestrianised area and it is raining heavily. Where do you park the bike? The closest designated racks are outside Boyes in Goodramgate or outside the Assembley Rooms on Davygate, which in the pouring rain is a fair walk... so a lot of people would park their bikes to railings near the Minster. You would have thought that the council would have had bike racks near the entrance to the Minster seeing as its a big attraction, in the way Cambridge and Oxford have their racks placed, but this is not the case. Also take a look outside the rail station. All those bikes are locked to railings because the racks inside the station are either too full or a long walk from the ticket office - and lets remember the officially correct thing to do if you're taking a bike on a train is to go and lock the bike up in the racks, walk to the ticket office to buy a ticket, walk back to the bike, then walk back to the train with the bike. Final point of note: the racks in Goodramgate house roughly 18 bicycles in the space that would otherwise hold at the most 2 cars, and only standard cars - not 7-seater XC90's or the like, as the space would only be big enough for one of those... so in all that space is housing transport for 18 people which otherwise would only be accommodating transport for 10 at the very most..... just imagine what York would look like if everybody who wanted to park their car wherever they liked were allowed to do so - we certainly wouldn't have as many tourists going around that's for sure!
York station has some short stay bike racks immediately outside the travel centre. Useful because cyclists can keep an eye on their bike & luggage from inside., while buying tickets. Additional "double deck" cycle parking was added by East Coast at the station's north end, replacing a number of short stay car bays. These are extremely well used as they are convenient for cyclists coming up the new entrance route from the riverside.(Esplanade ) A periodic clear out of abandoned bikes from the south end racks ensures that there is always capacity to park there. And if you are a regular user a of high end value bike, there is a secure compound managed by Cycle Heaven, with key fob access.
Paul you will have to start your very own web site that gives the latest cycling info for those few who use a bike, you could call it - pedallingpaulyorkcit
y cyclingcompendium.co
.uk - i'm sure you will get lots of hits, on the PC that is, and not the road!
[quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Magicman![/bold] wrote: ^ Holy Cow! a PP post that HAS NOT got negative 'likes'! It's on +2 as I speak. No doubt that will have changed in a couple of hours. The extra cycle racks are welcome, but a point worthy of note is what Merrit has said: “We need to keep up with demand to make it as convenient as possible for people to choose cycling, and also so that cycle aren’t parked in inappropriate places such as railings.” ... note the last phrase: so that cycles aren't parked in inappropriate places such as railings. Now here's the thing, if a cycle is locked to a railing or a lamp post, that means that there isn't adequate parking provision in that area - in the same way as a motorist might park in a bus stop or on double yellow lines because there's no nearby car parks. For example, lets say you wish to go to a shop in Petergate, halfway down between Kings Square and Duncombe Place, and have come from the northeast of the city and are observing the prohibition on cycling through the pedestrianised area and it is raining heavily. Where do you park the bike? The closest designated racks are outside Boyes in Goodramgate or outside the Assembley Rooms on Davygate, which in the pouring rain is a fair walk... so a lot of people would park their bikes to railings near the Minster. You would have thought that the council would have had bike racks near the entrance to the Minster seeing as its a big attraction, in the way Cambridge and Oxford have their racks placed, but this is not the case. Also take a look outside the rail station. All those bikes are locked to railings because the racks inside the station are either too full or a long walk from the ticket office - and lets remember the officially correct thing to do if you're taking a bike on a train is to go and lock the bike up in the racks, walk to the ticket office to buy a ticket, walk back to the bike, then walk back to the train with the bike. Final point of note: the racks in Goodramgate house roughly 18 bicycles in the space that would otherwise hold at the most 2 cars, and only standard cars - not 7-seater XC90's or the like, as the space would only be big enough for one of those... so in all that space is housing transport for 18 people which otherwise would only be accommodating transport for 10 at the very most..... just imagine what York would look like if everybody who wanted to park their car wherever they liked were allowed to do so - we certainly wouldn't have as many tourists going around that's for sure![/p][/quote]York station has some short stay bike racks immediately outside the travel centre. Useful because cyclists can keep an eye on their bike & luggage from inside., while buying tickets. Additional "double deck" cycle parking was added by East Coast at the station's north end, replacing a number of short stay car bays. These are extremely well used as they are convenient for cyclists coming up the new entrance route from the riverside.(Esplanade ) A periodic clear out of abandoned bikes from the south end racks ensures that there is always capacity to park there. And if you are a regular user a of high end value bike, there is a secure compound managed by Cycle Heaven, with key fob access.[/p][/quote]Paul you will have to start your very own web site that gives the latest cycling info for those few who use a bike, you could call it - pedallingpaulyorkcit y cyclingcompendium.co .uk - i'm sure you will get lots of hits, on the PC that is, and not the road! Igiveinthen

12:08pm Tue 3 Dec 13

monkeyhanger says...

With the exception of a few trendy eco green professionals,I would guess that most folk who ride bikes are poor ie low wages,unemployed,stu
dent,chav etc.This is not their fault,but realisically they will probably not pay much in the way of council tax on the whole,Ipso Facto have little right to new facilities.However a few bike stands are quite cheap,so you are welcome, enjoy.
With the exception of a few trendy eco green professionals,I would guess that most folk who ride bikes are poor ie low wages,unemployed,stu dent,chav etc.This is not their fault,but realisically they will probably not pay much in the way of council tax on the whole,Ipso Facto have little right to new facilities.However a few bike stands are quite cheap,so you are welcome, enjoy. monkeyhanger

12:29pm Tue 3 Dec 13

Platform9 says...

Can the cyclists that these racks are intended for please use them!

Why do idiots insist on pushing their bikes around crowded markets and shopping streets when they now have suitable places to park them?. Why do they leave them parked outside shops on the pavement where people are trying to walk down?.

Buy your own suitable locks and security devices - it's your property!
Can the cyclists that these racks are intended for please use them! Why do idiots insist on pushing their bikes around crowded markets and shopping streets when they now have suitable places to park them?. Why do they leave them parked outside shops on the pavement where people are trying to walk down?. Buy your own suitable locks and security devices - it's your property! Platform9

12:36pm Tue 3 Dec 13

saw4 says...

How can cycle racks get people so wound up - I don't understand?

I'm a motorist AND a cyclist!

Well done to the council for providing more facilities.
How can cycle racks get people so wound up - I don't understand? I'm a motorist AND a cyclist! Well done to the council for providing more facilities. saw4

1:02pm Tue 3 Dec 13

yawn.. says...

To break off at a slight tangent, I'm all for safer cycling and stuff.. but has ANYONE seen any cyclists on the new cycle track that has been tarmacked into existence between the bridge over the Foss and Clifton moor on the ring-road?
To break off at a slight tangent, I'm all for safer cycling and stuff.. but has ANYONE seen any cyclists on the new cycle track that has been tarmacked into existence between the bridge over the Foss and Clifton moor on the ring-road? yawn..

1:35pm Tue 3 Dec 13

YorkPatrol says...

yawn.. wrote:
To break off at a slight tangent, I'm all for safer cycling and stuff.. but has ANYONE seen any cyclists on the new cycle track that has been tarmacked into existence between the bridge over the Foss and Clifton moor on the ring-road?
No, and you never will - a million pounds well spent
[quote][p][bold]yawn..[/bold] wrote: To break off at a slight tangent, I'm all for safer cycling and stuff.. but has ANYONE seen any cyclists on the new cycle track that has been tarmacked into existence between the bridge over the Foss and Clifton moor on the ring-road?[/p][/quote]No, and you never will - a million pounds well spent YorkPatrol

1:43pm Tue 3 Dec 13

Fair t' Middlin says...

With all these new additions to the city for cycle users ie: cycle lanes, bike racks are cyclists now going to pay road tax like everyone else???
With all these new additions to the city for cycle users ie: cycle lanes, bike racks are cyclists now going to pay road tax like everyone else??? Fair t' Middlin

1:58pm Tue 3 Dec 13

saw4 says...

Fair t' Middlin wrote:
With all these new additions to the city for cycle users ie: cycle lanes, bike racks are cyclists now going to pay road tax like everyone else???
I'll continue paying road tax on my car AND council tax and use the facilities provided thankyou very much.
Cyclists are not a segretated bunch who do nothing other than cycle; we live, breath, work, shop and YES sometimes DRIVE amongst you as part of the general population of our lovely City!
[quote][p][bold]Fair t' Middlin[/bold] wrote: With all these new additions to the city for cycle users ie: cycle lanes, bike racks are cyclists now going to pay road tax like everyone else???[/p][/quote]I'll continue paying road tax on my car AND council tax and use the facilities provided thankyou very much. Cyclists are not a segretated bunch who do nothing other than cycle; we live, breath, work, shop and YES sometimes DRIVE amongst you as part of the general population of our lovely City! saw4

2:13pm Tue 3 Dec 13

york_chap says...

YorkPatrol wrote:
yawn.. wrote: To break off at a slight tangent, I'm all for safer cycling and stuff.. but has ANYONE seen any cyclists on the new cycle track that has been tarmacked into existence between the bridge over the Foss and Clifton moor on the ring-road?
No, and you never will - a million pounds well spent
In fairness I did see an old bloke on a mobility scooter using it the other day.
[quote][p][bold]YorkPatrol[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]yawn..[/bold] wrote: To break off at a slight tangent, I'm all for safer cycling and stuff.. but has ANYONE seen any cyclists on the new cycle track that has been tarmacked into existence between the bridge over the Foss and Clifton moor on the ring-road?[/p][/quote]No, and you never will - a million pounds well spent[/p][/quote]In fairness I did see an old bloke on a mobility scooter using it the other day. york_chap

2:24pm Tue 3 Dec 13

Von_Dutch says...

YorkPatrol wrote:
yawn.. wrote: To break off at a slight tangent, I'm all for safer cycling and stuff.. but has ANYONE seen any cyclists on the new cycle track that has been tarmacked into existence between the bridge over the Foss and Clifton moor on the ring-road?
No, and you never will - a million pounds well spent
No and you won't really see anyone using it yet as it's NOT FINISHED until next spring. Just because the easy bit of the path has already been laid and you can see that it's there doesn't mean it's necessarily open for use. It's currently a path to nowhere. Anyone who can take 2 seconds to check the facts will realise that there's a new bridge over the railway due, plus the bits at either end to tie in to Haxby and Wigginton Roads.

Back to the topic at hand - more cycle parking in the city centre. Good. I mostly drive but even i'm not so blinkered that i can't see how full the racks get - particularly in decent weather. It's good to see and will benefit the city centre.
[quote][p][bold]YorkPatrol[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]yawn..[/bold] wrote: To break off at a slight tangent, I'm all for safer cycling and stuff.. but has ANYONE seen any cyclists on the new cycle track that has been tarmacked into existence between the bridge over the Foss and Clifton moor on the ring-road?[/p][/quote]No, and you never will - a million pounds well spent[/p][/quote]No and you won't really see anyone using it yet as it's NOT FINISHED until next spring. Just because the easy bit of the path has already been laid and you can see that it's there doesn't mean it's necessarily open for use. It's currently a path to nowhere. Anyone who can take 2 seconds to check the facts will realise that there's a new bridge over the railway due, plus the bits at either end to tie in to Haxby and Wigginton Roads. Back to the topic at hand - more cycle parking in the city centre. Good. I mostly drive but even i'm not so blinkered that i can't see how full the racks get - particularly in decent weather. It's good to see and will benefit the city centre. Von_Dutch

2:50pm Tue 3 Dec 13

MarkyMarkMark says...

monkeyhanger wrote:
With the exception of a few trendy eco green professionals,I would guess that most folk who ride bikes are poor ie low wages,unemployed,stu

dent,chav etc.This is not their fault,but realisically they will probably not pay much in the way of council tax on the whole,Ipso Facto have little right to new facilities.However a few bike stands are quite cheap,so you are welcome, enjoy.
What tosh. Monkeyhanger, you're either trolling or a bigoted snob of the first order.

I'm many things, but trendy? Nah...

I ride a bike to work at my well paid job because it keeps me fit, it's as quick or quicker than driving the 3 miles to work (even before the Lendal Bridge malarkey came to pass), it's effectively free now (my bike having devalued to a point when no-one wants to steal it!) and there are no sensibly priced car parking facilities (i.e. free!) in the city centre.

I pay as much council tax as anyone else living in a Band D property.

"Rights" do not accrue as a result of payment - I believe that is known as either purchase or bribery. As has previously commented, taxation is not a suitable basis for a commercial model.
[quote][p][bold]monkeyhanger[/bold] wrote: With the exception of a few trendy eco green professionals,I would guess that most folk who ride bikes are poor ie low wages,unemployed,stu dent,chav etc.This is not their fault,but realisically they will probably not pay much in the way of council tax on the whole,Ipso Facto have little right to new facilities.However a few bike stands are quite cheap,so you are welcome, enjoy.[/p][/quote]What tosh. Monkeyhanger, you're either trolling or a bigoted snob of the first order. I'm many things, but trendy? Nah... I ride a bike to work at my well paid job because it keeps me fit, it's as quick or quicker than driving the 3 miles to work (even before the Lendal Bridge malarkey came to pass), it's effectively free now (my bike having devalued to a point when no-one wants to steal it!) and there are no sensibly priced car parking facilities (i.e. free!) in the city centre. I pay as much council tax as anyone else living in a Band D property. "Rights" do not accrue as a result of payment - I believe that is known as either purchase or bribery. As has previously commented, taxation is not a suitable basis for a commercial model. MarkyMarkMark

3:14pm Tue 3 Dec 13

pedalling paul says...

Fair t' Middlin wrote:
With all these new additions to the city for cycle users ie: cycle lanes, bike racks are cyclists now going to pay road tax like everyone else???
The only road that your wrongly named "Road Tax" contributes towards, is the A64 bypass which is managed by the Highways Agency. All other roads in the City are managed by CoYC, principally from Council Tax income.
What you actually pay is "Vehicle Excise Duty". VED is a national tax on car ownership. The income goes to central Govt. It is not ringfenced for roads but goes into the Chancellor's big pot, along with all the other national taxes that we pay like VAT. Much VED income contributes to nuclear missiles & 3rd world aid. A smidgeon ends up with the DfT to fund motorways and strategic trunk roads like the A64.
[quote][p][bold]Fair t' Middlin[/bold] wrote: With all these new additions to the city for cycle users ie: cycle lanes, bike racks are cyclists now going to pay road tax like everyone else???[/p][/quote]The only road that your wrongly named "Road Tax" contributes towards, is the A64 bypass which is managed by the Highways Agency. All other roads in the City are managed by CoYC, principally from Council Tax income. What you actually pay is "Vehicle Excise Duty". VED is a national tax on car ownership. The income goes to central Govt. It is not ringfenced for roads but goes into the Chancellor's big pot, along with all the other national taxes that we pay like VAT. Much VED income contributes to nuclear missiles & 3rd world aid. A smidgeon ends up with the DfT to fund motorways and strategic trunk roads like the A64. pedalling paul

4:37pm Tue 3 Dec 13

amike says...

'No-one knows what legs are for nowadays, they just think there for peddling a bike.'

Yes because sadly when you try to walk down a footstreet you are usually met by a cyclist coming in the opposite direction even when the street is one way!!!
'No-one knows what legs are for nowadays, they just think there for peddling a bike.' Yes because sadly when you try to walk down a footstreet you are usually met by a cyclist coming in the opposite direction even when the street is one way!!! amike

5:01pm Tue 3 Dec 13

MouseHouse says...

"...usually met by a cyclist coming in the opposite" amike said. I cycle and walk around the city and surrounding area and encounter a cyclist going the wrong way very rarely indeed.

I suggest you have some stats to back up your claim amike. or perhaps you've just made this claim up.
"...usually met by a cyclist coming in the opposite" amike said. I cycle and walk around the city and surrounding area and encounter a cyclist going the wrong way very rarely indeed. I suggest you have some stats to back up your claim amike. or perhaps you've just made this claim up. MouseHouse

5:14pm Tue 3 Dec 13

amike says...

One in Goodramgate this afternoon, two in Market Street and Coney Street yesterday, one in Davygate last Wednesday....

It odes probably depend on the time of day as I am normally in York around 3pm - 5pm.
One in Goodramgate this afternoon, two in Market Street and Coney Street yesterday, one in Davygate last Wednesday.... It odes probably depend on the time of day as I am normally in York around 3pm - 5pm. amike

5:28pm Tue 3 Dec 13

yawn.. says...

Von_Dutch wrote:
YorkPatrol wrote:
yawn.. wrote: To break off at a slight tangent, I'm all for safer cycling and stuff.. but has ANYONE seen any cyclists on the new cycle track that has been tarmacked into existence between the bridge over the Foss and Clifton moor on the ring-road?
No, and you never will - a million pounds well spent
No and you won't really see anyone using it yet as it's NOT FINISHED until next spring. Just because the easy bit of the path has already been laid and you can see that it's there doesn't mean it's necessarily open for use. It's currently a path to nowhere. Anyone who can take 2 seconds to check the facts will realise that there's a new bridge over the railway due, plus the bits at either end to tie in to Haxby and Wigginton Roads.

Back to the topic at hand - more cycle parking in the city centre. Good. I mostly drive but even i'm not so blinkered that i can't see how full the racks get - particularly in decent weather. It's good to see and will benefit the city centre.
..I'm sure anyone taking 2 seconds to think about this would arrive at the conclusion that most if not all people going to clifton moor will be doing so to go shopping.. more likely to get a weekly shop at Tescos and would be unlikely to fit that into a rucksack.!
Still, back on topic, I would be inclined to agree with you that the cycle parking facilities in the city are a very good idea and should be increased.
[quote][p][bold]Von_Dutch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]YorkPatrol[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]yawn..[/bold] wrote: To break off at a slight tangent, I'm all for safer cycling and stuff.. but has ANYONE seen any cyclists on the new cycle track that has been tarmacked into existence between the bridge over the Foss and Clifton moor on the ring-road?[/p][/quote]No, and you never will - a million pounds well spent[/p][/quote]No and you won't really see anyone using it yet as it's NOT FINISHED until next spring. Just because the easy bit of the path has already been laid and you can see that it's there doesn't mean it's necessarily open for use. It's currently a path to nowhere. Anyone who can take 2 seconds to check the facts will realise that there's a new bridge over the railway due, plus the bits at either end to tie in to Haxby and Wigginton Roads. Back to the topic at hand - more cycle parking in the city centre. Good. I mostly drive but even i'm not so blinkered that i can't see how full the racks get - particularly in decent weather. It's good to see and will benefit the city centre.[/p][/quote]..I'm sure anyone taking 2 seconds to think about this would arrive at the conclusion that most if not all people going to clifton moor will be doing so to go shopping.. more likely to get a weekly shop at Tescos and would be unlikely to fit that into a rucksack.! Still, back on topic, I would be inclined to agree with you that the cycle parking facilities in the city are a very good idea and should be increased. yawn..

9:45pm Tue 3 Dec 13

monkeyhanger says...

MarkyMarkMark wrote:
monkeyhanger wrote:
With the exception of a few trendy eco green professionals,I would guess that most folk who ride bikes are poor ie low wages,unemployed,stu


dent,chav etc.This is not their fault,but realisically they will probably not pay much in the way of council tax on the whole,Ipso Facto have little right to new facilities.However a few bike stands are quite cheap,so you are welcome, enjoy.
What tosh. Monkeyhanger, you're either trolling or a bigoted snob of the first order.

I'm many things, but trendy? Nah...

I ride a bike to work at my well paid job because it keeps me fit, it's as quick or quicker than driving the 3 miles to work (even before the Lendal Bridge malarkey came to pass), it's effectively free now (my bike having devalued to a point when no-one wants to steal it!) and there are no sensibly priced car parking facilities (i.e. free!) in the city centre.

I pay as much council tax as anyone else living in a Band D property.

"Rights" do not accrue as a result of payment - I believe that is known as either purchase or bribery. As has previously commented, taxation is not a suitable basis for a commercial model.
I am not a troll,hiding under a bridge? Interesting that you imply that if free car parking was available you would drive to well paid job.Anyway,maybe on reflection I was a bit harsh on the cycling fraternity.Apologies
.
[quote][p][bold]MarkyMarkMark[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]monkeyhanger[/bold] wrote: With the exception of a few trendy eco green professionals,I would guess that most folk who ride bikes are poor ie low wages,unemployed,stu dent,chav etc.This is not their fault,but realisically they will probably not pay much in the way of council tax on the whole,Ipso Facto have little right to new facilities.However a few bike stands are quite cheap,so you are welcome, enjoy.[/p][/quote]What tosh. Monkeyhanger, you're either trolling or a bigoted snob of the first order. I'm many things, but trendy? Nah... I ride a bike to work at my well paid job because it keeps me fit, it's as quick or quicker than driving the 3 miles to work (even before the Lendal Bridge malarkey came to pass), it's effectively free now (my bike having devalued to a point when no-one wants to steal it!) and there are no sensibly priced car parking facilities (i.e. free!) in the city centre. I pay as much council tax as anyone else living in a Band D property. "Rights" do not accrue as a result of payment - I believe that is known as either purchase or bribery. As has previously commented, taxation is not a suitable basis for a commercial model.[/p][/quote]I am not a troll,hiding under a bridge? Interesting that you imply that if free car parking was available you would drive to well paid job.Anyway,maybe on reflection I was a bit harsh on the cycling fraternity.Apologies . monkeyhanger

10:46pm Tue 3 Dec 13

djmh500 says...

Fair t' Middlin wrote:
With all these new additions to the city for cycle users ie: cycle lanes, bike racks are cyclists now going to pay road tax like everyone else???
There's no such thing as Road Tax, only Vehicle Excise Tax which is based upon the size of your engine, so no.
[quote][p][bold]Fair t' Middlin[/bold] wrote: With all these new additions to the city for cycle users ie: cycle lanes, bike racks are cyclists now going to pay road tax like everyone else???[/p][/quote]There's no such thing as Road Tax, only Vehicle Excise Tax which is based upon the size of your engine, so no. djmh500

12:31am Wed 4 Dec 13

MouseHouse says...

Fair t' Middlin wrote:
With all these new additions to the city for cycle users ie: cycle lanes, bike racks are cyclists now going to pay road tax like everyone else???
No - and you don't pay 'road tax' either. You pay Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) dependent upon engine size, you don't pay the mythical road tax. Nobody does, because it doesn't exist. That, hopefully, is one myth demolished.

I cycle the overwhelming majority of my trips within 15 miles of home, yet I own, service, insure, maintain, fuel and pay VED on a car. Motorists - don't thank me, just bear in mind that the next cyclist you drive too close to could be me.
[quote][p][bold]Fair t' Middlin[/bold] wrote: With all these new additions to the city for cycle users ie: cycle lanes, bike racks are cyclists now going to pay road tax like everyone else???[/p][/quote]No - and you don't pay 'road tax' either. You pay Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) dependent upon engine size, you don't pay the mythical road tax. Nobody does, because it doesn't exist. That, hopefully, is one myth demolished. I cycle the overwhelming majority of my trips within 15 miles of home, yet I own, service, insure, maintain, fuel and pay VED on a car. Motorists - don't thank me, just bear in mind that the next cyclist you drive too close to could be me. MouseHouse

2:30am Wed 4 Dec 13

Magicman! says...

smiler45 wrote:
wobblesofpedallingpl

ks
wrote:
More blots on he landscape to go alongside all the scaffolding and people hanging around smoking outside the pubs.

Why can't they be located in public car parks around the edge of the city so that cyclists can walk in to the shops like everybody else?
No-one knows what legs are for nowadays, they just think there for peddling a bike.
Or for driving a car if you read a lot of the above posts....
[quote][p][bold]smiler45[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wobblesofpedallingpl ks[/bold] wrote: More blots on he landscape to go alongside all the scaffolding and people hanging around smoking outside the pubs. Why can't they be located in public car parks around the edge of the city so that cyclists can walk in to the shops like everybody else?[/p][/quote]No-one knows what legs are for nowadays, they just think there for peddling a bike.[/p][/quote]Or for driving a car if you read a lot of the above posts.... Magicman!

2:35am Wed 4 Dec 13

Magicman! says...

monkeyhanger wrote:
With the exception of a few trendy eco green professionals,I would guess that most folk who ride bikes are poor ie low wages,unemployed,stu

dent,chav etc.This is not their fault,but realisically they will probably not pay much in the way of council tax on the whole,Ipso Facto have little right to new facilities.However a few bike stands are quite cheap,so you are welcome, enjoy.
I cannot even begin to state the erronious and biased statements made above.

Worthy of note is that due to the tory government deciding councils can have responsibility for more things but not with any more money being thrown their way, York council has decided to get rid of council tax benefits - so nearly everybody in the city pays the council tax that funds cycling improvements, even disabled people who ride specially-adapted bicycles.

If we take your above statement literally, I suppose you would state it is wrong that tourists driving to York should all be blocked at the city boundary... after all THEY don't pay council tax to York DO THEY??
[quote][p][bold]monkeyhanger[/bold] wrote: With the exception of a few trendy eco green professionals,I would guess that most folk who ride bikes are poor ie low wages,unemployed,stu dent,chav etc.This is not their fault,but realisically they will probably not pay much in the way of council tax on the whole,Ipso Facto have little right to new facilities.However a few bike stands are quite cheap,so you are welcome, enjoy.[/p][/quote]I cannot even begin to state the erronious and biased statements made above. Worthy of note is that due to the tory government deciding councils can have responsibility for more things but not with any more money being thrown their way, York council has decided to get rid of council tax benefits - so nearly everybody in the city pays the council tax that funds cycling improvements, even disabled people who ride specially-adapted bicycles. If we take your above statement literally, I suppose you would state it is wrong that tourists driving to York should all be blocked at the city boundary... after all THEY don't pay council tax to York DO THEY?? Magicman!

7:28am Wed 4 Dec 13

oldgoat says...

I only ever use these things if I'm expecting to walk around town a lot, having cycled in. otherwise, my bike goes with me.
To be bluntly honest, more cycling facilities / lanes etc will not encourage me to use my bike any more.

its always down to practicality. Park & Ride works, sort of, because its cheaper than parking your car in town for three or four hours. Well, so long as you're only paying one or two adult fares....
Buying a York 'group' bus ticket has finally made it worthwhile travelling on a bus. Took them forever to get there with sane ticketing though.

Closing Lendal bridge off makes the simple task of driving into town a major pain, with trying to work out which route is legal/direct, depending on time. You end up not wanting to come into town unless you really have to.
I only ever use these things if I'm expecting to walk around town a lot, having cycled in. otherwise, my bike goes with me. To be bluntly honest, more cycling facilities / lanes etc will not encourage me to use my bike any more. its always down to practicality. Park & Ride works, sort of, because its cheaper than parking your car in town for three or four hours. Well, so long as you're only paying one or two adult fares.... Buying a York 'group' bus ticket has finally made it worthwhile travelling on a bus. Took them forever to get there with sane ticketing though. Closing Lendal bridge off makes the simple task of driving into town a major pain, with trying to work out which route is legal/direct, depending on time. You end up not wanting to come into town unless you really have to. oldgoat

9:58am Wed 4 Dec 13

Richard Catton says...

york_chap wrote:
"Coun Dave Merrett, said: “We need to make it as convenient as possible for people to choose cycling".

Why do you?

It's safe to say a majority of York residents would actually rather you made it as convenient as possible for people to choose driving; but you won't ever do that, will you?

For the record, I'm not against cycling or putting in a few extra racks (albeit I disagree with locating them so close to foot streets as it may encourage people to cycle in them illegally) - I just hate the way that skewed, green ideaology is constantly being rammed down York citizens' throats by Merret et al. We need a balanced and practical approach to transport planning - encourage cycling; but don't put this one transport option which is impractical for many, on a pedestal above all else.
Quite right.
The flip side of Coun Merret's chilling comment is that they want to make things as inconvenient as possible for car drivers.
Of course he would never be as explicit as that but would instead use phrases such as "encourage people out of their cars" or "try greener modes of transport".
If you want people not to use their cars then I would suggest education and sensible policies rather than beating drivers with a stick.
Although that's nothing compared to the beating your party will receive in 2015. I'm reluctant to call you The Labour Group because your ideals are now very far removed from the noble intentions of that party's founding fathers.
[quote][p][bold]york_chap[/bold] wrote: "Coun Dave Merrett, said: “We need to make it as convenient as possible for people to choose cycling". Why do you? It's safe to say a majority of York residents would actually rather you made it as convenient as possible for people to choose driving; but you won't ever do that, will you? For the record, I'm not against cycling or putting in a few extra racks (albeit I disagree with locating them so close to foot streets as it may encourage people to cycle in them illegally) - I just hate the way that skewed, green ideaology is constantly being rammed down York citizens' throats by Merret et al. We need a balanced and practical approach to transport planning - encourage cycling; but don't put this one transport option which is impractical for many, on a pedestal above all else.[/p][/quote]Quite right. The flip side of Coun Merret's chilling comment is that they want to make things as inconvenient as possible for car drivers. Of course he would never be as explicit as that but would instead use phrases such as "encourage people out of their cars" or "try greener modes of transport". If you want people not to use their cars then I would suggest education and sensible policies rather than beating drivers with a stick. Although that's nothing compared to the beating your party will receive in 2015. I'm reluctant to call you The Labour Group because your ideals are now very far removed from the noble intentions of that party's founding fathers. Richard Catton

4:36pm Wed 4 Dec 13

mersaultdies says...

Why is it that so many people who seem to want to marry their cars and also seem to despise cyclists/cycling can't refer to logic or facts when forming their opinions?

Has anybody who has just learnt the truth about Vehicle Excise Duty, for example, realised they made an error and apologised for their prior (probably based on newspaper headlines) erroneous opinions? Or, will you just keep spouting the same old shat regardless of reality?
Why is it that so many people who seem to want to marry their cars and also seem to despise cyclists/cycling can't refer to logic or facts when forming their opinions? Has anybody who has just learnt the truth about Vehicle Excise Duty, for example, realised they made an error and apologised for their prior (probably based on newspaper headlines) erroneous opinions? Or, will you just keep spouting the same old shat regardless of reality? mersaultdies

11:25am Thu 5 Dec 13

Mr Trellis says...

Money would be better spent on educating "cyclists" with emphasis on the meaning of words such as STOP, ONE WAY ONLY, PEDESTRIAN AREA , GIVE WAY , BE TOLERANT, NO ENTRY, DO NOT PLACE CYCLES HERE.
Money would be better spent on educating "cyclists" with emphasis on the meaning of words such as STOP, ONE WAY ONLY, PEDESTRIAN AREA , GIVE WAY , BE TOLERANT, NO ENTRY, DO NOT PLACE CYCLES HERE. Mr Trellis

5:16pm Thu 5 Dec 13

Richard Catton says...

mersaultdies wrote:
Why is it that so many people who seem to want to marry their cars and also seem to despise cyclists/cycling can't refer to logic or facts when forming their opinions? Has anybody who has just learnt the truth about Vehicle Excise Duty, for example, realised they made an error and apologised for their prior (probably based on newspaper headlines) erroneous opinions? Or, will you just keep spouting the same old shat regardless of reality?
The Vehicle Excise Duty is, in fact, a myth. It first appeared as an April Fools news story in The Bicester Bugle newspaper many decades ago.
However, the spoof story spread like wildfire before it could be revealed as a prank in the following week's edition of the paper.

Driver Tax (to give it its correct name) now raises more than £17 billion a year for the Government - £16billion of which goes on cycling intitiatives.
And that...my friends...is a fact.
[quote][p][bold]mersaultdies[/bold] wrote: Why is it that so many people who seem to want to marry their cars and also seem to despise cyclists/cycling can't refer to logic or facts when forming their opinions? Has anybody who has just learnt the truth about Vehicle Excise Duty, for example, realised they made an error and apologised for their prior (probably based on newspaper headlines) erroneous opinions? Or, will you just keep spouting the same old shat regardless of reality?[/p][/quote]The Vehicle Excise Duty is, in fact, a myth. It first appeared as an April Fools news story in The Bicester Bugle newspaper many decades ago. However, the spoof story spread like wildfire before it could be revealed as a prank in the following week's edition of the paper. Driver Tax (to give it its correct name) now raises more than £17 billion a year for the Government - £16billion of which goes on cycling intitiatives. And that...my friends...is a fact. Richard Catton

10:33pm Thu 5 Dec 13

MarkyMarkMark says...

monkeyhanger wrote:
MarkyMarkMark wrote:
monkeyhanger wrote:
With the exception of a few trendy eco green professionals,I would guess that most folk who ride bikes are poor ie low wages,unemployed,stu



dent,chav etc.This is not their fault,but realisically they will probably not pay much in the way of council tax on the whole,Ipso Facto have little right to new facilities.However a few bike stands are quite cheap,so you are welcome, enjoy.
What tosh. Monkeyhanger, you're either trolling or a bigoted snob of the first order.

I'm many things, but trendy? Nah...

I ride a bike to work at my well paid job because it keeps me fit, it's as quick or quicker than driving the 3 miles to work (even before the Lendal Bridge malarkey came to pass), it's effectively free now (my bike having devalued to a point when no-one wants to steal it!) and there are no sensibly priced car parking facilities (i.e. free!) in the city centre.

I pay as much council tax as anyone else living in a Band D property.

"Rights" do not accrue as a result of payment - I believe that is known as either purchase or bribery. As has previously commented, taxation is not a suitable basis for a commercial model.
I am not a troll,hiding under a bridge? Interesting that you imply that if free car parking was available you would drive to well paid job.Anyway,maybe on reflection I was a bit harsh on the cycling fraternity.Apologies

.
Apologies accepted on behalf of the fraternity! Thanks.

The real point is that cyclists cannot all be pigeon-holed into a single homogeneous group. There are many different types of people, some of whom choose to cycle, and some who do it through need.

And yep, I'd probably drive sometimes - like when the weather is really foul and/or the river is so flooded the cycle routes are under water!

Normally, I'd still rather cycle, even if that means my car is still sitting on my drive at home during the day, depreciating and not being used.
[quote][p][bold]monkeyhanger[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MarkyMarkMark[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]monkeyhanger[/bold] wrote: With the exception of a few trendy eco green professionals,I would guess that most folk who ride bikes are poor ie low wages,unemployed,stu dent,chav etc.This is not their fault,but realisically they will probably not pay much in the way of council tax on the whole,Ipso Facto have little right to new facilities.However a few bike stands are quite cheap,so you are welcome, enjoy.[/p][/quote]What tosh. Monkeyhanger, you're either trolling or a bigoted snob of the first order. I'm many things, but trendy? Nah... I ride a bike to work at my well paid job because it keeps me fit, it's as quick or quicker than driving the 3 miles to work (even before the Lendal Bridge malarkey came to pass), it's effectively free now (my bike having devalued to a point when no-one wants to steal it!) and there are no sensibly priced car parking facilities (i.e. free!) in the city centre. I pay as much council tax as anyone else living in a Band D property. "Rights" do not accrue as a result of payment - I believe that is known as either purchase or bribery. As has previously commented, taxation is not a suitable basis for a commercial model.[/p][/quote]I am not a troll,hiding under a bridge? Interesting that you imply that if free car parking was available you would drive to well paid job.Anyway,maybe on reflection I was a bit harsh on the cycling fraternity.Apologies .[/p][/quote]Apologies accepted on behalf of the fraternity! Thanks. The real point is that cyclists cannot all be pigeon-holed into a single homogeneous group. There are many different types of people, some of whom choose to cycle, and some who do it through need. And yep, I'd probably drive sometimes - like when the weather is really foul and/or the river is so flooded the cycle routes are under water! Normally, I'd still rather cycle, even if that means my car is still sitting on my drive at home during the day, depreciating and not being used. MarkyMarkMark

1:26pm Fri 6 Dec 13

Buzzz Light-year says...

Richard Catton wrote:
mersaultdies wrote: Why is it that so many people who seem to want to marry their cars and also seem to despise cyclists/cycling can't refer to logic or facts when forming their opinions? Has anybody who has just learnt the truth about Vehicle Excise Duty, for example, realised they made an error and apologised for their prior (probably based on newspaper headlines) erroneous opinions? Or, will you just keep spouting the same old shat regardless of reality?
The Vehicle Excise Duty is, in fact, a myth. It first appeared as an April Fools news story in The Bicester Bugle newspaper many decades ago. However, the spoof story spread like wildfire before it could be revealed as a prank in the following week's edition of the paper. Driver Tax (to give it its correct name) now raises more than £17 billion a year for the Government - £16billion of which goes on cycling intitiatives. And that...my friends...is a fact.
You can tell this guy once worked for The Press!
[quote][p][bold]Richard Catton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mersaultdies[/bold] wrote: Why is it that so many people who seem to want to marry their cars and also seem to despise cyclists/cycling can't refer to logic or facts when forming their opinions? Has anybody who has just learnt the truth about Vehicle Excise Duty, for example, realised they made an error and apologised for their prior (probably based on newspaper headlines) erroneous opinions? Or, will you just keep spouting the same old shat regardless of reality?[/p][/quote]The Vehicle Excise Duty is, in fact, a myth. It first appeared as an April Fools news story in The Bicester Bugle newspaper many decades ago. However, the spoof story spread like wildfire before it could be revealed as a prank in the following week's edition of the paper. Driver Tax (to give it its correct name) now raises more than £17 billion a year for the Government - £16billion of which goes on cycling intitiatives. And that...my friends...is a fact.[/p][/quote]You can tell this guy once worked for The Press! Buzzz Light-year

3:07am Sun 8 Dec 13

Magicman! says...

Mr Trellis wrote:
Money would be better spent on educating "cyclists" with emphasis on the meaning of words such as STOP, ONE WAY ONLY, PEDESTRIAN AREA , GIVE WAY , BE TOLERANT, NO ENTRY, DO NOT PLACE CYCLES HERE.
Whilst we're at it, a seperate education programme along the likes of "when there is a parked car or obstruction on your side and a cyclist coming the other way, you must allow the cyclist to pass before pulling around the obstruction onto the other sde of the road, as you would do if a motor vehicle was coming the other way", or "when overtaking a cyclist, allow as much room as you would if overtaking a horse and rider", or "do not overtake a cyclist and then turn left or come to a complete stop 10 meters or less after overtaking", or even just what that green box in front of the traffic light stop line is there for (certainly not a seperate box for minicabs), or about looking for a cyclist indicating to turn right at a junction AND that said cyclist indicating to turn right is NOT a green light for you to overtake as quickly and as close to the cyclist as possible.

Works both ways.
[quote][p][bold]Mr Trellis[/bold] wrote: Money would be better spent on educating "cyclists" with emphasis on the meaning of words such as STOP, ONE WAY ONLY, PEDESTRIAN AREA , GIVE WAY , BE TOLERANT, NO ENTRY, DO NOT PLACE CYCLES HERE.[/p][/quote]Whilst we're at it, a seperate education programme along the likes of "when there is a parked car or obstruction on your side and a cyclist coming the other way, you must allow the cyclist to pass before pulling around the obstruction onto the other sde of the road, as you would do if a motor vehicle was coming the other way", or "when overtaking a cyclist, allow as much room as you would if overtaking a horse and rider", or "do not overtake a cyclist and then turn left or come to a complete stop 10 meters or less after overtaking", or even just what that green box in front of the traffic light stop line is there for (certainly not a seperate box for minicabs), or about looking for a cyclist indicating to turn right at a junction AND that said cyclist indicating to turn right is NOT a green light for you to overtake as quickly and as close to the cyclist as possible. Works both ways. Magicman!

8:36am Sun 8 Dec 13

Igiveinthen says...

Magicman!- I know the original thread was about parking for bikes in york, which doesn't bother me one way or the other, but I had to comment on your tangental comment as follows:

What you are advocating is what most drivers do anyway, myself included, however you state - when overtaking a cyclist, allow as much room as you would if overtaking a horse and rider - when I am confronted by the 'horse and rider' scenario, provided there is no traffic coming the other way I manoeuvre to the opposite side of the road and pass slowly, if there is traffic coming the other way I wait until I can carry out that manoeuvre, but I would not do the same when passing a cyclist, and as long as I leave enough room so the cyclists handle bars don't clip my near side door mirror and damage it, I deem that sufficient room by my standards, if they are riding two abreast then they get a sharp blast on the horn, and I think that should be written into the Highway Code don't you?.
Magicman!- I know the original thread was about parking for bikes in york, which doesn't bother me one way or the other, but I had to comment on your tangental comment as follows: What you are advocating is what most drivers do anyway, myself included, however you state - when overtaking a cyclist, allow as much room as you would if overtaking a horse and rider - when I am confronted by the 'horse and rider' scenario, provided there is no traffic coming the other way I manoeuvre to the opposite side of the road and pass slowly, if there is traffic coming the other way I wait until I can carry out that manoeuvre, but I would not do the same when passing a cyclist, and as long as I leave enough room so the cyclists handle bars don't clip my near side door mirror and damage it, I deem that sufficient room by my standards, if they are riding two abreast then they get a sharp blast on the horn, and I think that should be written into the Highway Code don't you?. Igiveinthen

1:22pm Sun 8 Dec 13

Mr Trellis says...

I am truly baffled by the arrogance of this group called cyclists - they pay nothing directly to the cost of the roads then the tax payer has to fork out for bike lanes, special; traffic lights, underpasses and free parking.
I simply do not understand how a group who contribute so little can demand so much on the entirely spurious argument that they are "environmentally friendly" I can only suggest that if they want the sort of equality they demand they should pay a licence fee and pay for parking.
I am truly baffled by the arrogance of this group called cyclists - they pay nothing directly to the cost of the roads then the tax payer has to fork out for bike lanes, special; traffic lights, underpasses and free parking. I simply do not understand how a group who contribute so little can demand so much on the entirely spurious argument that they are "environmentally friendly" I can only suggest that if they want the sort of equality they demand they should pay a licence fee and pay for parking. Mr Trellis

9:52pm Sun 8 Dec 13

sniper 9964 says...

When are the powers that be going to prosecute the pedaling parasites that cyvle without lights. Through red traffic lights. On pavements wrong way on one way streets
When are the powers that be going to prosecute the pedaling parasites that cyvle without lights. Through red traffic lights. On pavements wrong way on one way streets sniper 9964

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree