Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
Exits row over York fireworks display
9:54am Friday 1st November 2013 in News
CITY of York Council has said it is “totally satisfied” with safety measures at a major fireworks event, after a retired senior fire officer raised concerns.
Assistant director Charlie Croft said Rockin’ Horse Promotions, organisers of Kaboom on Sunday at Rawcliffe Country Park, had, in consultation with the council, gone above and beyond requirements outlined in a national safety guide and national fire safety guidance.
His comments came after Keith Isaacs, a former North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service fire safety officer, who lives in Rawcliffe, told The Press he did not believe exit arrangements were safe for as many as 10,000 people gathered on a potentially muddy site on a dark night, and suggested the capacity should be reduced. He said he had been raising concerns since February.
Mr Croft said the council had ensured the exits exceeded those recommended in an independent report.
“Robust plans, put in place by the event organiser, have been approved by the city's multi-agency Safety Advisory Group including all three emergency services, health and safety, highways, and public protection.”
Dave McCabe, the fire service’s area manager, head of risk management, said it had advised the council on exit improvements and he understood these had been carried out to the service’s satisfaction.
Mark Brayshaw, of Rockin’ Horse Promotions, said it had an exemplary and unblemished safety record over the past 24 years and it worked to, and often well above, government guidelines.
“Our expert view is that Rawcliffe Country Park is a very safe and suitable venue for events such as Kaboom.Indeed the success and safety record of Kaboom in 2012 goes a very long way to prove this point of view,” he said.
Comments are closed on this article.