Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
Rowntree Park fall victim escapes serious injury
A 12-YEAR-OLD boy has escaped with only bruising after falling headfirst from monkey bars at York’s Rowntree Park.
Isaac Smeaton was airlifted to hospital and paramedics feared he might have suffered spinal, neck or head injuries in the accident, in which he fell about eight feet on to his head.
His mother, Emilie, said he was strapped into a stretcher and she accompanied him as he was flown to Leeds General Infirmary by a Yorkshire Air Ambulance helicopter.
After landing on the hospital roof, he was rushed to the trauma unit, where scans revealed he had fortunately suffered no lasting damage and he was allowed home.
Ms Smeaton, of Robin Grove, Hamilton Drive East, Holgate, yesterday paid tribute to the paramedics, air ambulance crew and hospital staff for their efficiency and professionalism in dealing with Isaac’s injuries on Sunday afternoon.
She also thanked Isaac’s friends, their parents and a mystery man who stayed with Isaac and comforted him until she had got to the park, having been alerted by a distraught friend who rang her at home on his mobile.
She said: “Everyone was brilliant. His friends did really well. They really did the right thing.
“When I got there, Isaac was lying in a strange position and was very distressed. He was in a lot of pain and was numb on his left leg and arm.
“The man who had been looking after Isaac until I got there was amazing. I’d like to track him down and give him a bottle of wine to thank him.”
Isaac said: “I was playing tig on the monkey bars when I fell off. My leg caught in a bar and I fell on my head. I was in a lot of pain.”
A spokesman for the Spinal Injuries Association said falls were now the biggest cause of spinal injuries in the UK. He said that whether someone suffered a spinal injury was dependent on how they fell, and people could suffer an injury from something as innocuous as a sneeze or survive quite serious falls without suffering such an injury.
City of York Council assistant director Charlle Croft said the incident had been reported to the Health and Safety Executive, as was always the case in such instances.
He said: “Our thoughts are with the young person and his family at this worrying time and we send our best wishes for his recovery.
“While the circumstances surrounding the incident are being investigated, immediately after it and following a thorough check, police and park officials quickly established that there was no fault with the playground equipment or the wood chip safety surface.
“The park remained open for the rest of the day.”