Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
Rare kite killed in North Yorkshire was poisoned, say police
6:08pm Thursday 5th September 2013 in News
FORENSIC tests have shown that a rare bird found dead in North Yorkshire last year was poisoned, police have revealed today.
Tadcaster police and the RSPB are appealing for information as they investigate the death of the Red Kite, which was found at Toulston Polo Ground, Tadcaster in October 2012, by a member the public.
The bird was born in Wales in 2009 and is believed to be one of a breeding pair, which first bred at Tadcaster Grammar School in 2012 and are the first-known Welsh born Red Kites to have bred in Yorkshire.
A force spokesman said that following a post mortem examination and forensic testing, the bird was found to have died from the illegal poison Carbofuran, which was banned in 2001.
“The RSPB have offered a £1,000 reward for anyone who can provide information that leads to the arrest and charging of those responsible for the bird’s death,” he said.
PC Sarah Ward said: “This crime is appalling. The use of Carbofuran is both unlawful and highly dangerous. It is highly toxic and a few granules could kill. Someone has put Carbofuran into the countryside unlawfully, risking the lives of people, domesticated animals and wildlife.”
Bob Elliot, RSPB Head of Investigations said: “Since their successful release back into the Yorkshire countryside in 1999, Red Kites have suffered at the hands of illegal poisoning in North Yorkshire with this incident being the twentieth poisoned Kite since 2000.“
Anyone with information should call 101, select option 2 and ask for Sarah Ward, contact the RSPB on 0845 4663636 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.