Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
York comedian Rob Auton wins best joke award at Edinburgh Fringe Festival
10:35am Tuesday 20th August 2013 in News
A YORK comedian has been awarded the honour of having the funniest joke at the largest arts festival in the world.
The legendary Edinburgh Festival Fringe saw stand up comedian 30-year-old Rob Auton, who was born in York, take the prize of having the funniest gag of the three week festival.
His one-liner – “I heard a rumour that Cadbury is bringing out an oriental chocolate bar. Could be a Chinese Wispa” – was deemed the funniest joke of the Fringe.
Rob said: “I am honoured to receive this award and just pleased that a joke that tackles the serious issue of the invention of a new chocolate bar can be laughed at by the people of Britain.”
His winning wisecrack was shortlisted by a panel of comedy experts before fans voted for it as the winner.
Rob won 24 per cent of the vote to win the award, which 20 other comedians were also in the running for.
Rob has recently quit his job selling paint brushes in London’s Soho to perform full-time.
He beat off competition from comedians such as Tim Vine, Marcus Brigstocke and Alex Horne with his hour-long show the Sky Show.
The award, known as Dave’s Funniest Joke Of The Fringe, is sponsored by TV channel Dave.
Steve North, general manager of Dave, said: “Now celebrating its sixth year, Dave’s Funniest Joke of The Fringe continues to highlight the best one-liners coming out of the Fringe.
“This year’s Top 10 is quick, sharp, witty and clever and Rob is a very worthy winner.”
Top ten jokes
1. Rob Auton – I heard a rumour that Cadbury is bringing out an oriental chocolate bar. Could be a Chinese Wispa
2. Alex Horne – I used to work in a shoe-recycling shop. It was sole-destroying
3. Alfie Moore – I’m in a same-sex marriage... the sex is always the same
4. Tim Vine - My friend told me he was going to a fancy dress party as an Italian island. I said to him: Don’t be Sicily
5. Gary Delaney - I can give you the cause of anaphylactic shock in a nutshell
6. Phil Wang - The Pope is a lot like Doctor Who. He never dies, just keeps being replaced by white men
7. Marcus Brigstocke - You know you are fat when you hug a child and it gets lost.
8. Liam Williams - The universe implodes. No matter
9. Bobby Mair – I was adopted at birth and have never met my mum. That makes it very difficult to enjoy any lapdance
10. Chris Coltrane - The good thing about lending someone your time machine is that you basically get it back immediately.
Comments are closed on this article.