Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
Call for York sex case teacher to be named
Updated: PARENTS have spoken of their shock after a former teacher at their children’s York school appeared in court accused of sex offences against children.
Some parents also called for the authorities and media to name the 31-year-old man, who taught at a total of three York primary schools.
A court order currently prevents The Press and other media from identifying either the schools or the man, who has denied all the offences, which include three charges of sexually abusing a boy under 13 and 13 counts of owning indecent images of children.
Other charges which he denies are two counts of making indecent images and one count of possessing a class B drug.
He was granted conditional bail by York Magistrates last Friday and is expected to appear in court again in May.
Parents of children at one of the schools where he taught said they received an email on Friday informing them of the allegations, but not disclosing the teacher’s name.
“It was a bit of a shock,” said one mother.
“Everyone is innocent until proven guilty, of course, but I would like to know his name, so I can check he did not come into contact with my child.” She said there was speculation on Facebook as to the man’s identity but nothing from the authorities or in media reports.
Another mother said: “Of course it’s a concern when you get an email like that. I think there will be a lot of questions being asked at the school tomorrow.”
Eoin Rush, assistant director at City of York Council, wrote last week to parents at the three schools on behalf of North Yorkshire Police, the schools and the council.
He informed them that the man had worked in the schools and the charges followed a recent multi-agency investigation into allegations made against him.
“North Yorkshire Police have confirmed that if any parent has not already been contacted by them, it is reasonable to assume that their child has not been affected by this man’s alleged behaviour,” he said.
“However, it is right to point out that police inquiries are ongoing and, if as a result of these inquiries, any further concerns are uncovered, the police will be in contact with anyone affected directly. As a partnership we were keen to make you aware of this.”
He said for legal reasons, he was extremely limited on what information could be disclosed, but if parents wished to discuss the matter further, they could contact the authority on (01904) 554444.
Meanwhile, the head teacher of one of the schools has also written to parents to say the recent news had “shocked and upset all associated with the school,” adding: “The following period is going to be very difficult for all.”