Big wheel to stay after knife-edge vote

YORK’S big wheel will stay until the end of September after a knife-edge council vote this evening.

City of York Council’s planning committee was split on whether the 53-metre observation wheel in the Royal York Hotel’s grounds, originally due to be dismantled within weeks, should be allowed to continue over the summer.

The application by the wheel’s owners, Freij Entertainment International, was approved on the casting vote of committee chairman Coun David Horton after an 8-8 tie on votes for and against.

Residents of nearby Westgate Apartments said the wheel should not remain because of noise, light and privacy issues, branding it a “parasite” on York’s landscape. Freij’s planning agents said only a handful of residents had objected and the wheel was not an intrusion.

Coun Julie Gunnell told the meeting she and fellow Micklegate councillors Dave Merrett and Sandy Fraser opposed the extension, saying: “This is about what residents are having to endure - when they bought their homes, they didn’t know this wheel would be put on their doorstep.”

Coun Horton said: “I don’t think the wheel is in the right place and I don’t think we would accept it being a permanent fixture, but you cannot see into apartments from it and not enough evidence has been provided to reject it.”

The wheel must be removed by October 31, rather than November 30 as Freij requested. A suggestion by Coun Mark Warters that it be taken down before the Remembrance Day service at Memorial Gardens was approved.

Comments (27)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:15pm Thu 21 Feb 13

monkeyhanger says...

The wheel must be removed by October 31, rather than November 30 as Freij requested. A suggestion by Coun Mark Warters that it be taken down before the Remembrance Day service at Memorial Gardens was approved.

I would say that the wheel has no relevance to to the rememberance service,however the noise from the buses and traffic drown out much of the service.Why for one hour once a year traffic cannot be stopped as a mark of respect is beyond me.
The wheel must be removed by October 31, rather than November 30 as Freij requested. A suggestion by Coun Mark Warters that it be taken down before the Remembrance Day service at Memorial Gardens was approved. I would say that the wheel has no relevance to to the rememberance service,however the noise from the buses and traffic drown out much of the service.Why for one hour once a year traffic cannot be stopped as a mark of respect is beyond me. monkeyhanger

7:26pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Paul Meoff says...

monkeyhanger wrote:
The wheel must be removed by October 31, rather than November 30 as Freij requested. A suggestion by Coun Mark Warters that it be taken down before the Remembrance Day service at Memorial Gardens was approved.

I would say that the wheel has no relevance to to the rememberance service,however the noise from the buses and traffic drown out much of the service.Why for one hour once a year traffic cannot be stopped as a mark of respect is beyond me.
Should they also ban tourists from Germany and Japan for that hour as well?
[quote][p][bold]monkeyhanger[/bold] wrote: The wheel must be removed by October 31, rather than November 30 as Freij requested. A suggestion by Coun Mark Warters that it be taken down before the Remembrance Day service at Memorial Gardens was approved. I would say that the wheel has no relevance to to the rememberance service,however the noise from the buses and traffic drown out much of the service.Why for one hour once a year traffic cannot be stopped as a mark of respect is beyond me.[/p][/quote]Should they also ban tourists from Germany and Japan for that hour as well? Paul Meoff

7:41pm Thu 21 Feb 13

bob the builder says...

Westgate is the carbuncle on the skyline, looks like a communist era block of flats!
Westgate is the carbuncle on the skyline, looks like a communist era block of flats! bob the builder

7:51pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Ageing Hippy says...

At least it will keep those disease ridden flying mice away for a few more months!
At least it will keep those disease ridden flying mice away for a few more months! Ageing Hippy

8:41pm Thu 21 Feb 13

York born and bred says...

Paul Meoff wrote:
monkeyhanger wrote:
The wheel must be removed by October 31, rather than November 30 as Freij requested. A suggestion by Coun Mark Warters that it be taken down before the Remembrance Day service at Memorial Gardens was approved.

I would say that the wheel has no relevance to to the rememberance service,however the noise from the buses and traffic drown out much of the service.Why for one hour once a year traffic cannot be stopped as a mark of respect is beyond me.
Should they also ban tourists from Germany and Japan for that hour as well?
No, but they should ban your comments on this site, idiot. . .
[quote][p][bold]Paul Meoff[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]monkeyhanger[/bold] wrote: The wheel must be removed by October 31, rather than November 30 as Freij requested. A suggestion by Coun Mark Warters that it be taken down before the Remembrance Day service at Memorial Gardens was approved. I would say that the wheel has no relevance to to the rememberance service,however the noise from the buses and traffic drown out much of the service.Why for one hour once a year traffic cannot be stopped as a mark of respect is beyond me.[/p][/quote]Should they also ban tourists from Germany and Japan for that hour as well?[/p][/quote]No, but they should ban your comments on this site, idiot. . . York born and bred

8:51pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Paul Meoff says...

York born and bred wrote:
Paul Meoff wrote:
monkeyhanger wrote:
The wheel must be removed by October 31, rather than November 30 as Freij requested. A suggestion by Coun Mark Warters that it be taken down before the Remembrance Day service at Memorial Gardens was approved.

I would say that the wheel has no relevance to to the rememberance service,however the noise from the buses and traffic drown out much of the service.Why for one hour once a year traffic cannot be stopped as a mark of respect is beyond me.
Should they also ban tourists from Germany and Japan for that hour as well?
No, but they should ban your comments on this site, idiot. . .
No need to add your signature to the post.
[quote][p][bold]York born and bred[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Paul Meoff[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]monkeyhanger[/bold] wrote: The wheel must be removed by October 31, rather than November 30 as Freij requested. A suggestion by Coun Mark Warters that it be taken down before the Remembrance Day service at Memorial Gardens was approved. I would say that the wheel has no relevance to to the rememberance service,however the noise from the buses and traffic drown out much of the service.Why for one hour once a year traffic cannot be stopped as a mark of respect is beyond me.[/p][/quote]Should they also ban tourists from Germany and Japan for that hour as well?[/p][/quote]No, but they should ban your comments on this site, idiot. . .[/p][/quote]No need to add your signature to the post. Paul Meoff

9:11pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Even AndyD says...

bob the builder wrote:
Westgate is the carbuncle on the skyline, looks like a communist era block of flats!
Agreed. How people who live in a permanent carbuncle can complain about a temporary facility beggars belief. Awful building, should never have been given permission. The irony is staggering.
[quote][p][bold]bob the builder[/bold] wrote: Westgate is the carbuncle on the skyline, looks like a communist era block of flats![/p][/quote]Agreed. How people who live in a permanent carbuncle can complain about a temporary facility beggars belief. Awful building, should never have been given permission. The irony is staggering. Even AndyD

9:22pm Thu 21 Feb 13

NoNewsIsGoodNews says...

Dare I say that I actually like the wheel.
Dare I say that I actually like the wheel. NoNewsIsGoodNews

10:36pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Scarlet Pimpernel says...

Even AndyD wrote:
bob the builder wrote:
Westgate is the carbuncle on the skyline, looks like a communist era block of flats!
Agreed. How people who live in a permanent carbuncle can complain about a temporary facility beggars belief. Awful building, should never have been given permission. The irony is staggering.
The people who live there would perhaps not like where you live.

Live and let live, is my motto (on this)

Keep the wheel and keep the flats - both are serving a purpose and providing people who use them enjoyment !
[quote][p][bold]Even AndyD[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bob the builder[/bold] wrote: Westgate is the carbuncle on the skyline, looks like a communist era block of flats![/p][/quote]Agreed. How people who live in a permanent carbuncle can complain about a temporary facility beggars belief. Awful building, should never have been given permission. The irony is staggering.[/p][/quote]The people who live there would perhaps not like where you live. Live and let live, is my motto (on this) Keep the wheel and keep the flats - both are serving a purpose and providing people who use them enjoyment ! Scarlet Pimpernel

10:41pm Thu 21 Feb 13

pedalling paul says...

Good job the wheel was invented though.....we'd never have had bikes otherwise....!!
Good job the wheel was invented though.....we'd never have had bikes otherwise....!! pedalling paul

11:23pm Thu 21 Feb 13

akaroa says...

Wonderful Wheel, Wingeing Westgate Wallies(was going to put it more stronger)
Wonderful Wheel, Wingeing Westgate Wallies(was going to put it more stronger) akaroa

12:14am Fri 22 Feb 13

NoNewsIsGoodNews says...

pedalling paul wrote:
Good job the wheel was invented though.....we'd never have had bikes otherwise....!!
Or you.
[quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: Good job the wheel was invented though.....we'd never have had bikes otherwise....!![/p][/quote]Or you. NoNewsIsGoodNews

6:00am Fri 22 Feb 13

roclank2000 says...

Respecting the democratic process above all, I take comfort from the closeness of the vote, demonstrating that the planning committee was not dominated by this tasteless commercial intrusion. Its days are numbered.
Respecting the democratic process above all, I take comfort from the closeness of the vote, demonstrating that the planning committee was not dominated by this tasteless commercial intrusion. Its days are numbered. roclank2000

6:42am Fri 22 Feb 13

ouseswimmer says...

To wheel or not to wheel that is the question.
To wheel or not to wheel that is the question. ouseswimmer

8:03am Fri 22 Feb 13

pedalling paul says...

NoNewsIsGoodNews wrote:
pedalling paul wrote:
Good job the wheel was invented though.....we'd never have had bikes otherwise....!!
Or you.
A bit slow on the uptake but never mind......can't expect everything!
[quote][p][bold]NoNewsIsGoodNews[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: Good job the wheel was invented though.....we'd never have had bikes otherwise....!![/p][/quote]Or you.[/p][/quote]A bit slow on the uptake but never mind......can't expect everything! pedalling paul

8:54am Fri 22 Feb 13

Alpha Kenny Thing says...

pedalling paul wrote:
Good job the wheel was invented though.....we'd never have had bikes otherwise....!!
Bore off
[quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: Good job the wheel was invented though.....we'd never have had bikes otherwise....!![/p][/quote]Bore off Alpha Kenny Thing

9:13am Fri 22 Feb 13

Garrowby Turnoff says...

Get your thinking caps on for the next site for the wheel in York. No doubt applications for a return are already afoot. How about Parliament Street?
Get your thinking caps on for the next site for the wheel in York. No doubt applications for a return are already afoot. How about Parliament Street? Garrowby Turnoff

9:24am Fri 22 Feb 13

NoNewsIsGoodNews says...

pedalling paul wrote:
NoNewsIsGoodNews wrote:
pedalling paul wrote:
Good job the wheel was invented though.....we'd never have had bikes otherwise....!!
Or you.
A bit slow on the uptake but never mind......can't expect everything!
Don't worry, I'm sure you will catch up with the rest of society eventually.
[quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]NoNewsIsGoodNews[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: Good job the wheel was invented though.....we'd never have had bikes otherwise....!![/p][/quote]Or you.[/p][/quote]A bit slow on the uptake but never mind......can't expect everything![/p][/quote]Don't worry, I'm sure you will catch up with the rest of society eventually. NoNewsIsGoodNews

9:53am Fri 22 Feb 13

pedalling paul says...

NoNewsIsGoodNews wrote:
pedalling paul wrote:
NoNewsIsGoodNews wrote:
pedalling paul wrote:
Good job the wheel was invented though.....we'd never have had bikes otherwise....!!
Or you.
A bit slow on the uptake but never mind......can't expect everything!
Don't worry, I'm sure you will catch up with the rest of society eventually.
Put your hat on...there's a woodpecker flying around.
[quote][p][bold]NoNewsIsGoodNews[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]NoNewsIsGoodNews[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: Good job the wheel was invented though.....we'd never have had bikes otherwise....!![/p][/quote]Or you.[/p][/quote]A bit slow on the uptake but never mind......can't expect everything![/p][/quote]Don't worry, I'm sure you will catch up with the rest of society eventually.[/p][/quote]Put your hat on...there's a woodpecker flying around. pedalling paul

10:12am Fri 22 Feb 13

tobefair says...

I think City of York Council are to be applauded for making a descision without bringing in a team of Consultants.
I think City of York Council are to be applauded for making a descision without bringing in a team of Consultants. tobefair

10:29am Fri 22 Feb 13

NoNewsIsGoodNews says...

pedalling paul wrote:
NoNewsIsGoodNews wrote:
pedalling paul wrote:
NoNewsIsGoodNews wrote:
pedalling paul wrote:
Good job the wheel was invented though.....we'd never have had bikes otherwise....!!
Or you.
A bit slow on the uptake but never mind......can't expect everything!
Don't worry, I'm sure you will catch up with the rest of society eventually.
Put your hat on...there's a woodpecker flying around.
Peddling Paul, the king of comebacks?
I think not.
[quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]NoNewsIsGoodNews[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]NoNewsIsGoodNews[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: Good job the wheel was invented though.....we'd never have had bikes otherwise....!![/p][/quote]Or you.[/p][/quote]A bit slow on the uptake but never mind......can't expect everything![/p][/quote]Don't worry, I'm sure you will catch up with the rest of society eventually.[/p][/quote]Put your hat on...there's a woodpecker flying around.[/p][/quote]Peddling Paul, the king of comebacks? I think not. NoNewsIsGoodNews

12:32pm Fri 22 Feb 13

tobefair says...

I hope when the planning comittee reached it's decision to keep the wheel it took into account current council policy and that at least 25% of the pods will be affordable.
I hope when the planning comittee reached it's decision to keep the wheel it took into account current council policy and that at least 25% of the pods will be affordable. tobefair

1:20pm Fri 22 Feb 13

York1900 says...

Will it go insolvent before the dead line owing money to the council like all the other operators of he wheel ?

Hope YCC have got all there payments from them up front
Will it go insolvent before the dead line owing money to the council like all the other operators of he wheel ? Hope YCC have got all there payments from them up front York1900

1:44pm Fri 22 Feb 13

YorkPatrol says...

NoNewsIsGoodNews wrote:
Dare I say that I actually like the wheel.
Yes
[quote][p][bold]NoNewsIsGoodNews[/bold] wrote: Dare I say that I actually like the wheel.[/p][/quote]Yes YorkPatrol

5:06pm Fri 22 Feb 13

Even AndyD says...

Scarlet Pimpernel wrote:
Even AndyD wrote:
bob the builder wrote:
Westgate is the carbuncle on the skyline, looks like a communist era block of flats!
Agreed. How people who live in a permanent carbuncle can complain about a temporary facility beggars belief. Awful building, should never have been given permission. The irony is staggering.
The people who live there would perhaps not like where you live.

Live and let live, is my motto (on this)

Keep the wheel and keep the flats - both are serving a purpose and providing people who use them enjoyment !
You also miss my point, I'd happily leave the Westgate flats brigade alone, but they seem to be rather vocal about the wheel. Seems only fair to point out that some of us didn't want their building either - but democracy will out.

As for the wheel - I like it. Hides those awful flats! :-)

Well done on your new motto - I like it!
[quote][p][bold]Scarlet Pimpernel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Even AndyD[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bob the builder[/bold] wrote: Westgate is the carbuncle on the skyline, looks like a communist era block of flats![/p][/quote]Agreed. How people who live in a permanent carbuncle can complain about a temporary facility beggars belief. Awful building, should never have been given permission. The irony is staggering.[/p][/quote]The people who live there would perhaps not like where you live. Live and let live, is my motto (on this) Keep the wheel and keep the flats - both are serving a purpose and providing people who use them enjoyment ![/p][/quote]You also miss my point, I'd happily leave the Westgate flats brigade alone, but they seem to be rather vocal about the wheel. Seems only fair to point out that some of us didn't want their building either - but democracy will out. As for the wheel - I like it. Hides those awful flats! :-) Well done on your new motto - I like it! Even AndyD

8:30pm Sun 24 Feb 13

York born and bred says...

Paul Meoff wrote:
York born and bred wrote:
Paul Meoff wrote:
monkeyhanger wrote:
The wheel must be removed by October 31, rather than November 30 as Freij requested. A suggestion by Coun Mark Warters that it be taken down before the Remembrance Day service at Memorial Gardens was approved.

I would say that the wheel has no relevance to to the rememberance service,however the noise from the buses and traffic drown out much of the service.Why for one hour once a year traffic cannot be stopped as a mark of respect is beyond me.
Should they also ban tourists from Germany and Japan for that hour as well?
No, but they should ban your comments on this site, idiot. . .
No need to add your signature to the post.
Idiot. . .
[quote][p][bold]Paul Meoff[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]York born and bred[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Paul Meoff[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]monkeyhanger[/bold] wrote: The wheel must be removed by October 31, rather than November 30 as Freij requested. A suggestion by Coun Mark Warters that it be taken down before the Remembrance Day service at Memorial Gardens was approved. I would say that the wheel has no relevance to to the rememberance service,however the noise from the buses and traffic drown out much of the service.Why for one hour once a year traffic cannot be stopped as a mark of respect is beyond me.[/p][/quote]Should they also ban tourists from Germany and Japan for that hour as well?[/p][/quote]No, but they should ban your comments on this site, idiot. . .[/p][/quote]No need to add your signature to the post.[/p][/quote]Idiot. . . York born and bred

9:48am Fri 1 Mar 13

BigJon says...

I see they're desperate to try and get people to ride it in the last few months......just got an offer from Groupon for cheap tickets
I see they're desperate to try and get people to ride it in the last few months......just got an offer from Groupon for cheap tickets BigJon

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree