Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
Controversial waste tip plans criticised
9:54am Wednesday 6th February 2013 in News
CONTROVERSIAL plans which could see a York tip closed over winter or its opening hours reduced have been criticised.
City of York Council’s cabinet will next week discuss whether to launch a consultation over proposals to save £580,000 from its waste services budget, which may also include charging for garden waste collections or stopping them between November and March.
Residents are also set to be asked for their views on a series of potential changes to the Towthorpe waste recycling centre’s operation, also including closing it on weekdays or only opening it on weekends between October and March.
The Labour-controlled council’s Liberal Democrat group has said any such move could cause increased fly-tipping and landfill tax and pile more pressure on the Hazel Court recycling centre, following the closure of Beckfield Lane tip last year.
Keith Orrell, Huntington and New Earswick councillor, said: “Plans to reduce opening hours will have a major impact on local residents, and closing Towthorpe completely over winter would be even worse.”
Coun David Levene, cabinet member for environmental services, has said the council will listen closely to residents’ views to provide the best possible waste service, but a review of all service was “essential” as the authority aims to save £20 million over the next two years.
The consultation will include 500 phone interviews with residents, an online survey and direct sessions with those using the Towthorpe site.
Comments are closed on this article.