LiveYork snow: rolling weather coverage

Published in News

Enable automatic updates every minute? YES NO

Summary

  • Dozens of schools closed
  • Disruption on the roads
  • More snow forecast today

6:39pm

Yorkshire Ambulance Service (YAS) says the number of 999 calls it has received during the wintry weather has been "within expected levels", but is expected to rise with more snow and ice forecast.

David Williams, the service's deputy director of operations, said non-emergency patient transport for those with routine appointments had been cancelled everywhere except Hull, to allow paramedics to focus on those with "urgent medical needs". He said this was being "constantly reviewed" and patients will be kept informed of any further cancellations.

"While we are well prepared for bad weather, inevitably it is a challenging period for ambulance services and can affect how quickly we are able to reach people, if only because it is more difficult to get around," he said.

"Despite the heavy snowfall overnight and this morning, our emergency service has been operating effectively and our dedicated staff continue to work extremely hard, making every effort to reach patients as quickly and safely as possible."

Mr Williams said drive-times had risen in outlying rural areas and on side roads because of hazardous conditions, but 4x4 vehicles and other resources had been deployed in the worst-hit areas. He also thanked the public for their support over the last few days by not phoning 999 except in emergencies.

5:07pm

MOTORISTS have been involved in 19 collisions in today’s snow, North Yorkshire Police say.

The vast majority involved damage to vehicles only, with three leading to people suffering minor injuries. A Peugeot travelling on the A64 eastbound carriageway near Malton left the road and ended up in a ditch before hitting a road sign at about 8.45 am, but the driver did not need any treatment.

A grey BMW on the southbound carriageway of the A1 left the road near Newby Hall but the driver did not require any treatment. An articulated lorry left the B1248 at Wharram, near Malton, at around 9.35am. The driver suffered a back injury and was treated at the scene by paramedics.

4:53pm

THE A169 between Whitby and Pickering remains closed because of snow. Driving conditions are hazardous on the A64 at Seamer Road, Scarborough and on the B1248 between the Hambleton Road junction in Malton and the B1251 junction in Fimber.

4:48pm

Flight schedules are still disrupted at Leeds Bradford Airport by bad weather, despite re-opening after closing earlier to allow for the runways to be cleared of snow. Robin Hood Airport at Doncaster has also re-opened.

1:44pm

A children’s breakfast event at the Great Yorkshire Showground, scheduled for tomorrow morning to celebrate ‘Farmhouse Breakfast Week’ with the Yorkshire Agricultural Society, has been cancelled because of difficulties getting about 100 youngsters from Starbeck Primary School in Harrogate to the showground.

1:40pm

Any York snow-wardens out on duty today? Send us your pics and let us know how you're getting on. #yorksnow

1:36pm

Lots of pictures from readers of snowmen and snowdogs. Keep them coming......!

 

1:04pm

This statement has just come in from North Yorkshire County Council:

"North Yorkshire County Council’s gritting fleet is working around the clock today to keep priority routes moving as the region is affected once more by snowfall and freezing conditions.

"Gritters were out overnight and have retreated main priority one routes this morning. In many areas, particularly in the Dales, Moors and Wolds, retreatment of these routes continues as more snow falls and there is some drifting.

"The A169 is closed at Goathland,  as is C20 at Blakey Bank otherwise main traffic routes are generally open, although some are just passable with care notably in upland areas.

"With more snow forecast and winds picking up as the day goes on, gritters are likely to be busy throughout which means many minor routes will go untreated. The county council’s priority during such extreme weather is to keep main traffic routes treated and open, followed by other important routes.

"Road users are therefore urged to take great care when driving, plan extra time for any necessary journeys and make sure they travel with a supply of warm clothes and plenty of fuel.

"The county council’s gritters and farmer contractors will be out throughout the evening and around the clock to ensure that all main roads are ploughed and well salted and generally clear.

"However, cold temperatures mean that lying snow overnight will not readily clear and hence compacted snow and ice will be a widespread problem for motorists and pedestrians. 

"When road temperatures fall below -5 centigrade, grit is far less effective.  During the current cold snap road surface temperatures have been as low as -10."

12:29pm

The snow's not all bad news of course......

11:52am

The kids' breakfast event planned for the Great Yorkshire Showground tomorrow has been cancelled due to the weather.

11:48am

Harewood House has announced that its grounds and gardens are closed today because of the snow.

11:17am

Robin Hood Airport at Doncaster is currently closed, due to snow.

11:10am

Flights have been suspended from Leeds Bradford Airport while staff clear snow from the runway. Flights to destinations including Heathrow, Southampton, Belfast, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Bristol have also all been cancelled this morning.

 

10:51am

What's the situation like where you are? You can email pictures to newsdesk@thepress.co.uk or tweet @yorkpress

10:17am

This statement has just come in from East Riding of Yorkshire Council, warning of a possible further 4cm of snow today:

 

"East Riding of Yorkshire Council is continuing to operate around the clock to keep the East Riding moving following snowfall over the weekend and similar conditions forecast for today.

"The council treated the precautionary network again last night and has been ploughing the main roads, with the assistance of several contractors. Scouts are continuing to monitor conditions on roads on higher ground, but no reports have been received of road closures.

"Up to 4 cm of snow could fall over the course of the day and drifting could cause hazardous driving conditions when the wind picks up.

"Nigel Leighton, director of environment and neighbourhood services at East Riding of Yorkshire Council, said: “Our staff are continuing to work 24/7 during the present period of winter weather and, as well as gritting operations, are clearing snow from car parks and high pedestrian areas and refilling salt bins for use by residents.

“At present, the council is continuing waste collection operations, as normal, and is continuing to work with town and parish councils to support residents locally.

“The council advises motorists to only make essential journeys, drive to the conditions, allow extra time for journeys and stay to the treated network, wherever possible.

“During this spell of winter weather, the council asks that residents ensure family, friends and neighbours, particularly older and more vulnerable people, stay safe and warm and have necessary provisions.”

"For further information about severe weather visit the severe weather advice and guidance page on the council's website or follow @ER_roads on twitter."

10:01am

Keep using the hashtag yorksnow on twitter to let us know the situation where you are:

 

9:52am

York's Millennium Bridge, and nearby cycle tracks and footpaths, have been promptly cleared of snow and ice, says Green Fishergate councillor Andy D'Agorne, who has long been campaigning for cycle tracks and lanes to be given the same priority as roads.

 

9:35am

THE A116 Pickering to Whitby road is closed because of drifting snow, while the A170 at Sutton Bank is just passable. Meanwhile, traffic is very slow because of snow on several key routes in the York area, including the A1079 at Wilberfoss, the York Outer Ring Road and the A19 at Crockey Hill.

 

9:18am

This comment below from a reader. Apologies for the delay this time on school closures; we had temporary problems getting the full verified list as early as usual -

9:08am Mon 21 Jan 13

yorkborn66 says

8.40am
Dozens of schools have been closed today across the region. Full list on the way.

If dozens of schools have been closed because of the weather. It would have been helpful for parents to know before they set off to school with their kids.
Parents will by now know one way or the other now.

9:17am

List of school closures: http://bit.ly/XvlUpX

8:40am

Police and ambulance crews are urging people to take extra care if driving this morning due to the conditions. As ever in such weather, avoid driving if you can.

8:40am

Dozens of schools have been closed today across the region. Full list on the way. There has also been disruption for motorists, with the A169, A170 and A66 all closed in part overnight.

8:39am

Good morning on another cold day in York and North and East Yorkshire.  Follow this story throughout today for the latest news and forecasts. Please also let us know the situation where you are, either using the comments facility below or by tweeting with the hashtag #yorksnow.

Comments (75)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:57am Mon 21 Jan 13

inthesticks says...

The weather forecast on the right of the news page says 96% chance of snow, so 4% of people don`t have snow in the region. Wonder where they live?
The weather forecast on the right of the news page says 96% chance of snow, so 4% of people don`t have snow in the region. Wonder where they live? inthesticks
  • Score: 0

9:08am Mon 21 Jan 13

yorkborn66 says...

8.40am
Dozens of schools have been closed today across the region. Full list on the way.

If dozens of schools have been closed because of the weather. It would have been helpful for parents to know before they set off to school with their kids.
Parents will by now know one way or the other now.
8.40am Dozens of schools have been closed today across the region. Full list on the way. If dozens of schools have been closed because of the weather. It would have been helpful for parents to know before they set off to school with their kids. Parents will by now know one way or the other now. yorkborn66
  • Score: 0

9:32am Mon 21 Jan 13

Buzz Light-year says...

inthesticks wrote:
The weather forecast on the right of the news page says 96% chance of snow, so 4% of people don`t have snow in the region. Wonder where they live?
Back to school for you!
[quote][p][bold]inthesticks[/bold] wrote: The weather forecast on the right of the news page says 96% chance of snow, so 4% of people don`t have snow in the region. Wonder where they live?[/p][/quote]Back to school for you! Buzz Light-year
  • Score: 0

9:33am Mon 21 Jan 13

inthesticks says...

yorkborn66 wrote:
8.40am
Dozens of schools have been closed today across the region. Full list on the way.

If dozens of schools have been closed because of the weather. It would have been helpful for parents to know before they set off to school with their kids.
Parents will by now know one way or the other now.
I agree but you can use BBCiplayer, get Radio York, they were reeling off the list at 7:30 this morning, maybe earlier.
[quote][p][bold]yorkborn66[/bold] wrote: 8.40am Dozens of schools have been closed today across the region. Full list on the way. If dozens of schools have been closed because of the weather. It would have been helpful for parents to know before they set off to school with their kids. Parents will by now know one way or the other now.[/p][/quote]I agree but you can use BBCiplayer, get Radio York, they were reeling off the list at 7:30 this morning, maybe earlier. inthesticks
  • Score: 0

9:36am Mon 21 Jan 13

far2bizzy says...

inthesticks wrote:
The weather forecast on the right of the news page says 96% chance of snow, so 4% of people don`t have snow in the region. Wonder where they live?
Yes that’s always puzzled me – if they say there is a 100% chance of snow in the next hour does that mean it’ll snow everywhere for the next hour, it will snow somewhere for the next hour, or it will snow everywhere for some time in the next hour.
[quote][p][bold]inthesticks[/bold] wrote: The weather forecast on the right of the news page says 96% chance of snow, so 4% of people don`t have snow in the region. Wonder where they live?[/p][/quote]Yes that’s always puzzled me – if they say there is a 100% chance of snow in the next hour does that mean it’ll snow everywhere for the next hour, it will snow somewhere for the next hour, or it will snow everywhere for some time in the next hour. far2bizzy
  • Score: 0

9:40am Mon 21 Jan 13

inthesticks says...

Buzz Light-year wrote:
inthesticks wrote:
The weather forecast on the right of the news page says 96% chance of snow, so 4% of people don`t have snow in the region. Wonder where they live?
Back to school for you!
OK, chill out. My point is that surely it`s 100% chance. Don`t be so frosty, s-now wonder people get cold feet and let standards slip.
[quote][p][bold]Buzz Light-year[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]inthesticks[/bold] wrote: The weather forecast on the right of the news page says 96% chance of snow, so 4% of people don`t have snow in the region. Wonder where they live?[/p][/quote]Back to school for you![/p][/quote]OK, chill out. My point is that surely it`s 100% chance. Don`t be so frosty, s-now wonder people get cold feet and let standards slip. inthesticks
  • Score: 0

9:42am Mon 21 Jan 13

livewithit says...

9:35 report is incorrect ( usual press standards ) it is the A169 that is closed !
9:35 report is incorrect ( usual press standards ) it is the A169 that is closed ! livewithit
  • Score: 0

9:48am Mon 21 Jan 13

NoNewsIsGoodNews says...

My favorite is when the say on the weather that it has a 50% chance of rain.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't?

I think it would be better for the presenter to just shrug their shoulders.
My favorite is when the say on the weather that it has a 50% chance of rain. Maybe it will, maybe it won't? I think it would be better for the presenter to just shrug their shoulders. NoNewsIsGoodNews
  • Score: 0

9:49am Mon 21 Jan 13

AngryandFrustrated says...

far2bizzy wrote:
inthesticks wrote: The weather forecast on the right of the news page says 96% chance of snow, so 4% of people don`t have snow in the region. Wonder where they live?
Yes that’s always puzzled me – if they say there is a 100% chance of snow in the next hour does that mean it’ll snow everywhere for the next hour, it will snow somewhere for the next hour, or it will snow everywhere for some time in the next hour.
I think you will find a bit of a clue in the word in the top left hand corner of the weather alert that says "York." Not York and surrounding area, not York and North Yorkshire etc. York.

So "inthesticks" if you wanted to know what is happeneing in the "region" as opposed to "York" then click on the weather link and enter a different location to "York."

In the meantime, as I traversed York this morning, I can confirm that at one side of town it was snowing heavily and at the other, it wasn't snowing at all. Maybe the few streets I travelled down where it wasn't snowing fall into the 4%!
[quote][p][bold]far2bizzy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]inthesticks[/bold] wrote: The weather forecast on the right of the news page says 96% chance of snow, so 4% of people don`t have snow in the region. Wonder where they live?[/p][/quote]Yes that’s always puzzled me – if they say there is a 100% chance of snow in the next hour does that mean it’ll snow everywhere for the next hour, it will snow somewhere for the next hour, or it will snow everywhere for some time in the next hour.[/p][/quote]I think you will find a bit of a clue in the word in the top left hand corner of the weather alert that says "York." Not York and surrounding area, not York and North Yorkshire etc. York. So "inthesticks" if you wanted to know what is happeneing in the "region" as opposed to "York" then click on the weather link and enter a different location to "York." In the meantime, as I traversed York this morning, I can confirm that at one side of town it was snowing heavily and at the other, it wasn't snowing at all. Maybe the few streets I travelled down where it wasn't snowing fall into the 4%! AngryandFrustrated
  • Score: 0

9:52am Mon 21 Jan 13

far2bizzy says...

Buzz Light-year wrote:
inthesticks wrote:
The weather forecast on the right of the news page says 96% chance of snow, so 4% of people don`t have snow in the region. Wonder where they live?
Back to school for you!
Ok here’s a little question - It’s now 10:00 (say). It will definitely snow on my house between 10:30 and 10:45. Is that 100% chance of snow in the next hour or 25% chance of snow (i.e. it probably won’t be snowing if I step out of the door sometime in the next hour)?
[quote][p][bold]Buzz Light-year[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]inthesticks[/bold] wrote: The weather forecast on the right of the news page says 96% chance of snow, so 4% of people don`t have snow in the region. Wonder where they live?[/p][/quote]Back to school for you![/p][/quote]Ok here’s a little question - It’s now 10:00 (say). It will definitely snow on my house between 10:30 and 10:45. Is that 100% chance of snow in the next hour or 25% chance of snow (i.e. it probably won’t be snowing if I step out of the door sometime in the next hour)? far2bizzy
  • Score: 0

9:56am Mon 21 Jan 13

inthesticks says...

AngryandFrustrated wrote:
far2bizzy wrote:
inthesticks wrote: The weather forecast on the right of the news page says 96% chance of snow, so 4% of people don`t have snow in the region. Wonder where they live?
Yes that’s always puzzled me – if they say there is a 100% chance of snow in the next hour does that mean it’ll snow everywhere for the next hour, it will snow somewhere for the next hour, or it will snow everywhere for some time in the next hour.
I think you will find a bit of a clue in the word in the top left hand corner of the weather alert that says "York." Not York and surrounding area, not York and North Yorkshire etc. York.

So "inthesticks" if you wanted to know what is happeneing in the "region" as opposed to "York" then click on the weather link and enter a different location to "York."

In the meantime, as I traversed York this morning, I can confirm that at one side of town it was snowing heavily and at the other, it wasn't snowing at all. Maybe the few streets I travelled down where it wasn't snowing fall into the 4%!
Oh here we go. The usual argumentative types come out to pick holes in a light hearted comment just for the sake of it.
I was not asking for a definitive guide on how many square acres were getting how many flakes of snow at every particular minute throughout the whole day, jees.
After the flurry of comments I think I will drift back in the kitchen and make another coffee.
[quote][p][bold]AngryandFrustrated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]far2bizzy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]inthesticks[/bold] wrote: The weather forecast on the right of the news page says 96% chance of snow, so 4% of people don`t have snow in the region. Wonder where they live?[/p][/quote]Yes that’s always puzzled me – if they say there is a 100% chance of snow in the next hour does that mean it’ll snow everywhere for the next hour, it will snow somewhere for the next hour, or it will snow everywhere for some time in the next hour.[/p][/quote]I think you will find a bit of a clue in the word in the top left hand corner of the weather alert that says "York." Not York and surrounding area, not York and North Yorkshire etc. York. So "inthesticks" if you wanted to know what is happeneing in the "region" as opposed to "York" then click on the weather link and enter a different location to "York." In the meantime, as I traversed York this morning, I can confirm that at one side of town it was snowing heavily and at the other, it wasn't snowing at all. Maybe the few streets I travelled down where it wasn't snowing fall into the 4%![/p][/quote]Oh here we go. The usual argumentative types come out to pick holes in a light hearted comment just for the sake of it. I was not asking for a definitive guide on how many square acres were getting how many flakes of snow at every particular minute throughout the whole day, jees. After the flurry of comments I think I will drift back in the kitchen and make another coffee. inthesticks
  • Score: 0

10:00am Mon 21 Jan 13

yorkiemum says...

don't worry inthesticks I got where you were coming from miserable pedantic people!!
don't worry inthesticks I got where you were coming from miserable pedantic people!! yorkiemum
  • Score: 0

10:07am Mon 21 Jan 13

ColdAsChristmas says...

inthesticks, may I apologise on behalf of Buzz LY. He has a habit of being picky and critical without adding to the debate. Just a Gremlin!

The fact is, we are not supposed to be getting this freezing weather / climate. Pedaling Paul even told us that the Arctic is melting at an alarming rate, recently.
In 2000, Dr David Viner said that snow will soon be a thing of the past!
Now who are the deniers?
BTW, it's not man made CO2 any more but Black soot the enemy. Looks like PP's bus will have to go?
http://www.google.co
.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q
=&esrc=s&frm=1&sourc
e=web&cd=7&cad=rja&s
qi=2&ved=0CGkQFjAG&u
rl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.
real-science.com%2Fd
avid-viner-theres-no
-snowfall-any-more&e
i=Bwv9UJijKMKf0QX2sI
HoDA&usg=AFQjCNHVQRZ
WMzVpZI-5EMqwBPLWsdk
U9w&bvm=bv.41248874,
d.d2k
inthesticks, may I apologise on behalf of Buzz LY. He has a habit of being picky and critical without adding to the debate. Just a Gremlin! The fact is, we are not supposed to be getting this freezing weather / climate. Pedaling Paul even told us that the Arctic is melting at an alarming rate, recently. In 2000, Dr David Viner said that snow will soon be a thing of the past! Now who are the deniers? BTW, it's not man made CO2 any more but Black soot the enemy. Looks like PP's bus will have to go? http://www.google.co .uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q =&esrc=s&frm=1&sourc e=web&cd=7&cad=rja&s qi=2&ved=0CGkQFjAG&u rl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww. real-science.com%2Fd avid-viner-theres-no -snowfall-any-more&e i=Bwv9UJijKMKf0QX2sI HoDA&usg=AFQjCNHVQRZ WMzVpZI-5EMqwBPLWsdk U9w&bvm=bv.41248874, d.d2k ColdAsChristmas
  • Score: 0

10:13am Mon 21 Jan 13

redbluelion says...

i don't mind snow as long as i don't have to go out in it..extra logs on the fire more blankets on my bed..and the remote control...im happy...f*** the world i don't care..
i don't mind snow as long as i don't have to go out in it..extra logs on the fire more blankets on my bed..and the remote control...im happy...f*** the world i don't care.. redbluelion
  • Score: 0

10:25am Mon 21 Jan 13

YorkPatrol says...

You only need to mention the word snow for the teachers to bale out and go AWOL
You only need to mention the word snow for the teachers to bale out and go AWOL YorkPatrol
  • Score: 0

10:33am Mon 21 Jan 13

Guy Fawkes says...

You only need to mention the word snow for the teachers to bale out and go AWOL

+1, and not just the teachers. My York to Leeds commute along the A64 this morning was a little slower than usual, but perfectly do-able. However, most of my colleages have phoned or emailed in announcing that they are 'snowed in' or 'working from home' (i.e. taking the day off), including two that live quite close to me and who I know for a fact could have made it in without any problem.
You only need to mention the word snow for the teachers to bale out and go AWOL +1, and not just the teachers. My York to Leeds commute along the A64 this morning was a little slower than usual, but perfectly do-able. However, most of my colleages have phoned or emailed in announcing that they are 'snowed in' or 'working from home' (i.e. taking the day off), including two that live quite close to me and who I know for a fact could have made it in without any problem. Guy Fawkes
  • Score: 0

10:37am Mon 21 Jan 13

akuma says...

Its a bit of snow, it barely covers the rubber sole tread on my shoe, 99% of the main roads are open and free flowing, and its not even that cold.

Why are so many people in a panic?
Its a bit of snow, it barely covers the rubber sole tread on my shoe, 99% of the main roads are open and free flowing, and its not even that cold. Why are so many people in a panic? akuma
  • Score: 0

10:42am Mon 21 Jan 13

twoleftfeet says...

The whole country needs to 'man up'. It's pathetic when people claim they can't get to work due to 2cm of snow.

As for people 'working at home', yeah right, a day sledging more like.
The whole country needs to 'man up'. It's pathetic when people claim they can't get to work due to 2cm of snow. As for people 'working at home', yeah right, a day sledging more like. twoleftfeet
  • Score: 0

10:45am Mon 21 Jan 13

yorkiemum says...

Have a look YORKpatrol are there any school shut in YORK. Another miserable rude person
Have a look YORKpatrol are there any school shut in YORK. Another miserable rude person yorkiemum
  • Score: 0

10:52am Mon 21 Jan 13

Davroshasissues says...

The A19 wasn't 'free flowing' at 6am today, horrendous, no treatment at all. And the usual dipsticks thinking it's really clever to overtake me whilst i'm taking it steady to avoid death...its not big and its not clever...still managed to get to York though, although the journey home could be eventful...woop...
The A19 wasn't 'free flowing' at 6am today, horrendous, no treatment at all. And the usual dipsticks thinking it's really clever to overtake me whilst i'm taking it steady to avoid death...its not big and its not clever...still managed to get to York though, although the journey home could be eventful...woop... Davroshasissues
  • Score: 0

11:06am Mon 21 Jan 13

mjr119 says...

The Twitter updates are a revelation.

One bloke used to be glad of his commute.

And it still snows even when you get on a bus.
The Twitter updates are a revelation. One bloke used to be glad of his commute. And it still snows even when you get on a bus. mjr119
  • Score: 0

11:13am Mon 21 Jan 13

yorkborn66 says...

inthesticks wrote:
yorkborn66 wrote:
8.40am
Dozens of schools have been closed today across the region. Full list on the way.

If dozens of schools have been closed because of the weather. It would have been helpful for parents to know before they set off to school with their kids.
Parents will by now know one way or the other now.
I agree but you can use BBCiplayer, get Radio York, they were reeling off the list at 7:30 this morning, maybe earlier.
Must admit I did not think of radio York (remember for next time)
Thank you.
[quote][p][bold]inthesticks[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]yorkborn66[/bold] wrote: 8.40am Dozens of schools have been closed today across the region. Full list on the way. If dozens of schools have been closed because of the weather. It would have been helpful for parents to know before they set off to school with their kids. Parents will by now know one way or the other now.[/p][/quote]I agree but you can use BBCiplayer, get Radio York, they were reeling off the list at 7:30 this morning, maybe earlier.[/p][/quote]Must admit I did not think of radio York (remember for next time) Thank you. yorkborn66
  • Score: 0

11:15am Mon 21 Jan 13

Sawday2 says...

YorkPatrol wrote:
You only need to mention the word snow for the teachers to bale out and go AWOL
Go stick you head in something brown and sticky you plonker.

It's NOT the teachers, most of whom will make strenuous efforts to get in, but Heads who have the ultimate decision as to whether schools should close to pupils.
[quote][p][bold]YorkPatrol[/bold] wrote: You only need to mention the word snow for the teachers to bale out and go AWOL[/p][/quote]Go stick you head in something brown and sticky you plonker. It's NOT the teachers, most of whom will make strenuous efforts to get in, but Heads who have the ultimate decision as to whether schools should close to pupils. Sawday2
  • Score: 0

11:19am Mon 21 Jan 13

NoNewsIsGoodNews says...

Sawday2 wrote:
YorkPatrol wrote:
You only need to mention the word snow for the teachers to bale out and go AWOL
Go stick you head in something brown and sticky you plonker.

It's NOT the teachers, most of whom will make strenuous efforts to get in, but Heads who have the ultimate decision as to whether schools should close to pupils.
The decision is usually based on whether or not teachers can get in to school or not.
[quote][p][bold]Sawday2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]YorkPatrol[/bold] wrote: You only need to mention the word snow for the teachers to bale out and go AWOL[/p][/quote]Go stick you head in something brown and sticky you plonker. It's NOT the teachers, most of whom will make strenuous efforts to get in, but Heads who have the ultimate decision as to whether schools should close to pupils.[/p][/quote]The decision is usually based on whether or not teachers can get in to school or not. NoNewsIsGoodNews
  • Score: 0

11:33am Mon 21 Jan 13

inthesticks says...

NoNewsIsGoodNews wrote:
Sawday2 wrote:
YorkPatrol wrote:
You only need to mention the word snow for the teachers to bale out and go AWOL
Go stick you head in something brown and sticky you plonker.

It's NOT the teachers, most of whom will make strenuous efforts to get in, but Heads who have the ultimate decision as to whether schools should close to pupils.
The decision is usually based on whether or not teachers can get in to school or not.
It`s a good job hospital staff manage to get in then, using the same roads and de-icer and snow scrapers.
[quote][p][bold]NoNewsIsGoodNews[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sawday2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]YorkPatrol[/bold] wrote: You only need to mention the word snow for the teachers to bale out and go AWOL[/p][/quote]Go stick you head in something brown and sticky you plonker. It's NOT the teachers, most of whom will make strenuous efforts to get in, but Heads who have the ultimate decision as to whether schools should close to pupils.[/p][/quote]The decision is usually based on whether or not teachers can get in to school or not.[/p][/quote]It`s a good job hospital staff manage to get in then, using the same roads and de-icer and snow scrapers. inthesticks
  • Score: 0

11:36am Mon 21 Jan 13

Buzz Light-year says...

Crikey. I make a light hearted comment and I get leapt on.

I rather think the frosty ones are those responding so sharply to a one liner.
Crikey. I make a light hearted comment and I get leapt on. I rather think the frosty ones are those responding so sharply to a one liner. Buzz Light-year
  • Score: 0

11:36am Mon 21 Jan 13

NoNewsIsGoodNews says...

inthesticks wrote:
NoNewsIsGoodNews wrote:
Sawday2 wrote:
YorkPatrol wrote:
You only need to mention the word snow for the teachers to bale out and go AWOL
Go stick you head in something brown and sticky you plonker.

It's NOT the teachers, most of whom will make strenuous efforts to get in, but Heads who have the ultimate decision as to whether schools should close to pupils.
The decision is usually based on whether or not teachers can get in to school or not.
It`s a good job hospital staff manage to get in then, using the same roads and de-icer and snow scrapers.
It amazes me how some people manage to do this when others that live close by claim to be snowed in.

2 inches of snow outside my house and you think the world must have come to end as we know it.
[quote][p][bold]inthesticks[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]NoNewsIsGoodNews[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sawday2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]YorkPatrol[/bold] wrote: You only need to mention the word snow for the teachers to bale out and go AWOL[/p][/quote]Go stick you head in something brown and sticky you plonker. It's NOT the teachers, most of whom will make strenuous efforts to get in, but Heads who have the ultimate decision as to whether schools should close to pupils.[/p][/quote]The decision is usually based on whether or not teachers can get in to school or not.[/p][/quote]It`s a good job hospital staff manage to get in then, using the same roads and de-icer and snow scrapers.[/p][/quote]It amazes me how some people manage to do this when others that live close by claim to be snowed in. 2 inches of snow outside my house and you think the world must have come to end as we know it. NoNewsIsGoodNews
  • Score: 0

11:39am Mon 21 Jan 13

Paula_T says...

Having watched a documentary on BBC 2 the other night regarding the Big Freeze of Winter 1962-1963 , this is nothing, trouble is we are now so reliant on things that make life easier such as cars , internet etc that when something threatens this we treat it as some sort of tragedy........just saying !
Having watched a documentary on BBC 2 the other night regarding the Big Freeze of Winter 1962-1963 , this is nothing, trouble is we are now so reliant on things that make life easier such as cars , internet etc that when something threatens this we treat it as some sort of tragedy........just saying ! Paula_T
  • Score: 0

11:40am Mon 21 Jan 13

Buzz Light-year says...

ColdAsChristmas.
No you may not apologise on my behalf.
There's nothing to apologise for.
And you're wrong about all that other crap too.

Inthesticks made a jokey comment, I responded with the same.
Maybe I should have added a smiley?
ColdAsChristmas. No you may not apologise on my behalf. There's nothing to apologise for. And you're wrong about all that other crap too. Inthesticks made a jokey comment, I responded with the same. Maybe I should have added a smiley? Buzz Light-year
  • Score: 0

12:21pm Mon 21 Jan 13

inthesticks says...

If everyone on here started apologising to each other the thread would get into the thousands i`m sure, it would just be the tip of the iceberg. No apology needed anyway.
If everyone on here started apologising to each other the thread would get into the thousands i`m sure, it would just be the tip of the iceberg. No apology needed anyway. inthesticks
  • Score: 0

12:29pm Mon 21 Jan 13

DEKKA says...

Chance of snow. A weather forecast is actually a number of forecasts with slightly different initial conditions. A 96% chance of snow means that out of 25 forecasts 24 predict snow.
Chance of snow. A weather forecast is actually a number of forecasts with slightly different initial conditions. A 96% chance of snow means that out of 25 forecasts 24 predict snow. DEKKA
  • Score: 0

12:32pm Mon 21 Jan 13

roskoboskovic says...

d agorne sickens me with his attitude.cycle paths don t just get the same priority as roads they get priority over most roads.my street and surrounding ones off fulford rd don t get gritted never mind cleared yet the cycle path over low moor was cleared before 7.00 am on saturday morning.
d agorne sickens me with his attitude.cycle paths don t just get the same priority as roads they get priority over most roads.my street and surrounding ones off fulford rd don t get gritted never mind cleared yet the cycle path over low moor was cleared before 7.00 am on saturday morning. roskoboskovic
  • Score: 0

12:34pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Theapplesarecoming says...

ColdAsChristmas wrote:
inthesticks, may I apologise on behalf of Buzz LY. He has a habit of being picky and critical without adding to the debate. Just a Gremlin!

The fact is, we are not supposed to be getting this freezing weather / climate. Pedaling Paul even told us that the Arctic is melting at an alarming rate, recently.
In 2000, Dr David Viner said that snow will soon be a thing of the past!
Now who are the deniers?
BTW, it's not man made CO2 any more but Black soot the enemy. Looks like PP's bus will have to go?
http://www.google.co

.uk/url?sa=t&rct
=j&q
=&esrc=s&frm
=1&sourc
e=web&cd=7&c
ad=rja&s
qi=2&ved=0CGkQFj
AG&u
rl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.

real-science.com%2Fd

avid-viner-theres-no

-snowfall-any-more&a
mp;e
i=Bwv9UJijKMKf0QX2sI

HoDA&usg=AFQjCNH
VQRZ
WMzVpZI-5EMqwBPLWsdk

U9w&bvm=bv.41248
874,
d.d2k
We are meant to be an artic country arnt we? The only reason we have not been is because of the North Sea belt ?( which is disappearing slowly) if it goes or dilutes too much it will be like Russia here ( how would we cope)
[quote][p][bold]ColdAsChristmas[/bold] wrote: inthesticks, may I apologise on behalf of Buzz LY. He has a habit of being picky and critical without adding to the debate. Just a Gremlin! The fact is, we are not supposed to be getting this freezing weather / climate. Pedaling Paul even told us that the Arctic is melting at an alarming rate, recently. In 2000, Dr David Viner said that snow will soon be a thing of the past! Now who are the deniers? BTW, it's not man made CO2 any more but Black soot the enemy. Looks like PP's bus will have to go? http://www.google.co .uk/url?sa=t&rct =j&q =&esrc=s&frm =1&sourc e=web&cd=7&c ad=rja&s qi=2&ved=0CGkQFj AG&u rl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww. real-science.com%2Fd avid-viner-theres-no -snowfall-any-more&a mp;e i=Bwv9UJijKMKf0QX2sI HoDA&usg=AFQjCNH VQRZ WMzVpZI-5EMqwBPLWsdk U9w&bvm=bv.41248 874, d.d2k[/p][/quote]We are meant to be an artic country arnt we? The only reason we have not been is because of the North Sea belt ?( which is disappearing slowly) if it goes or dilutes too much it will be like Russia here ( how would we cope) Theapplesarecoming
  • Score: 0

12:36pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Garrowby Turnoff says...

Six inches plus at Wilton and still snowing/sleeting. Very wet snow which will be treacherous when it freezes tonight. If you're thinking of Garrowby Hill tonight, and A166 to Fridaythorpe, come in a 4-track with food, blankets and a shovel just in case you meet a teacher's car stuck in t'drifts.
Six inches plus at Wilton and still snowing/sleeting. Very wet snow which will be treacherous when it freezes tonight. If you're thinking of Garrowby Hill tonight, and A166 to Fridaythorpe, come in a 4-track with food, blankets and a shovel just in case you meet a teacher's car stuck in t'drifts. Garrowby Turnoff
  • Score: 0

12:50pm Mon 21 Jan 13

SpingloSponglo says...

ColdAsChristmas spouting the "no such thing as global warming" conspiracy nonsense again.

I bet he/she believe Michael Jackson faked his own death as well.

What a complete moron. You're harming science spouting rubbish like that. Go back to school.
ColdAsChristmas spouting the "no such thing as global warming" conspiracy nonsense again. I bet he/she believe Michael Jackson faked his own death as well. What a complete moron. You're harming science spouting rubbish like that. Go back to school. SpingloSponglo
  • Score: 0

12:57pm Mon 21 Jan 13

far2bizzy says...

DEKKA wrote:
Chance of snow. A weather forecast is actually a number of forecasts with slightly different initial conditions. A 96% chance of snow means that out of 25 forecasts 24 predict snow.
Sorry if I seem to be going on a bit but this really does puzzle me.

So if all 25 forecasts predict that there will be snow tomorrow for, say, 1 hour that would be 100% chance of snow? And if they also predict that for the rest of the time it will be dry and sunny that would also be 100% chance of it being dry and sunny? Which I suppose is theoretically correct but doesn’t seem very helpful.

A 100% chance of rain may mean that all the forecasts predict rain for 5 minutes at 3 a.m. – what use is that?
[quote][p][bold]DEKKA[/bold] wrote: Chance of snow. A weather forecast is actually a number of forecasts with slightly different initial conditions. A 96% chance of snow means that out of 25 forecasts 24 predict snow.[/p][/quote]Sorry if I seem to be going on a bit but this really does puzzle me. So if all 25 forecasts predict that there will be snow tomorrow for, say, 1 hour that would be 100% chance of snow? And if they also predict that for the rest of the time it will be dry and sunny that would also be 100% chance of it being dry and sunny? Which I suppose is theoretically correct but doesn’t seem very helpful. A 100% chance of rain may mean that all the forecasts predict rain for 5 minutes at 3 a.m. – what use is that? far2bizzy
  • Score: 0

1:31pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Fabius the Delayer says...

Lighten up its a snow-day! At least for all public servants everywhere.
Meanwhile the rest of us have to get to work or face losing a days pay..
Also Has anybody actually seen a snow plow today. I haven't except the one gritting crew giving interviews on the TV !
Lighten up its a snow-day! At least for all public servants everywhere. Meanwhile the rest of us have to get to work or face losing a days pay.. Also Has anybody actually seen a snow plow today. I haven't except the one gritting crew giving interviews on the TV ! Fabius the Delayer
  • Score: 0

1:35pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Caecilius says...

roskoboskovic wrote:
d agorne sickens me with his attitude.cycle paths don t just get the same priority as roads they get priority over most roads.my street and surrounding ones off fulford rd don t get gritted never mind cleared yet the cycle path over low moor was cleared before 7.00 am on saturday morning.
And if they do? Cycle routes are exactly that, ROUTES from one place to another used - whether you like it or not - by a lot of people. Remember that the council has estimated there are 10,000 - 15,000 cyclists in York. The streets off Fulford Road aren't routes, for the most part: they're residential, used only by the people who live on them and by others delivering services to them. It's not possible to clear and grit everything, so it's hardly surprising that priority is given to main thoroughfares, whatever form of transport they serve.
[quote][p][bold]roskoboskovic[/bold] wrote: d agorne sickens me with his attitude.cycle paths don t just get the same priority as roads they get priority over most roads.my street and surrounding ones off fulford rd don t get gritted never mind cleared yet the cycle path over low moor was cleared before 7.00 am on saturday morning.[/p][/quote]And if they do? Cycle routes are exactly that, ROUTES from one place to another used - whether you like it or not - by a lot of people. Remember that the council has estimated there are 10,000 - 15,000 cyclists in York. The streets off Fulford Road aren't routes, for the most part: they're residential, used only by the people who live on them and by others delivering services to them. It's not possible to clear and grit everything, so it's hardly surprising that priority is given to main thoroughfares, whatever form of transport they serve. Caecilius
  • Score: 0

1:38pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Kevin Turvey says...

‘NoNewsIsGoodNews says... 11:19am Mon 21 Jan 13
Sawday2 wrote:
YorkPatrol wrote:
You only need to mention the word snow for the teachers to bale out and go AWOL
Go stick you head in something brown and sticky you plonker.

It's NOT the teachers, most of whom will make strenuous efforts to get in, but Heads who have the ultimate decision as to whether schools should close to pupils.
The decision is usually based on whether or not teachers can get in to school or not.’


My next door neighbour is a teacher at a school to the north of york.

Apparently she can’t get to school because of the snow but however can get past the school in their 4x4 to go shopping for handbags at monks cross.

She could walk to school in 30 mins or heavens forbid go on the bus that stops 100 metres from her front door and right outside the school.

Any excuse to be off!

I work 15 miles from home and managed to get there early.

This country is now full of lazy, excuse ridden (rather than robust reasons) non resilient people who ‘educate’ those values to the next generation that also hide behind extremely tenuous ‘elf and safety’ reasons that are not actually the case!
‘NoNewsIsGoodNews says... 11:19am Mon 21 Jan 13 Sawday2 wrote: YorkPatrol wrote: You only need to mention the word snow for the teachers to bale out and go AWOL Go stick you head in something brown and sticky you plonker. It's NOT the teachers, most of whom will make strenuous efforts to get in, but Heads who have the ultimate decision as to whether schools should close to pupils. The decision is usually based on whether or not teachers can get in to school or not.’ My next door neighbour is a teacher at a school to the north of york. Apparently she can’t get to school because of the snow but however can get past the school in their 4x4 to go shopping for handbags at monks cross. She could walk to school in 30 mins or heavens forbid go on the bus that stops 100 metres from her front door and right outside the school. Any excuse to be off! I work 15 miles from home and managed to get there early. This country is now full of lazy, excuse ridden (rather than robust reasons) non resilient people who ‘educate’ those values to the next generation that also hide behind extremely tenuous ‘elf and safety’ reasons that are not actually the case! Kevin Turvey
  • Score: 0

2:02pm Mon 21 Jan 13

YorkPatrol says...

Sawday2 wrote:
YorkPatrol wrote: You only need to mention the word snow for the teachers to bale out and go AWOL
Go stick you head in something brown and sticky you plonker. It's NOT the teachers, most of whom will make strenuous efforts to get in, but Heads who have the ultimate decision as to whether schools should close to pupils.
If you teachers are so noble, when the head informs you that the school is to close (for no good reason) – why don’t you suggest that despite the closure, you will still attend and clear the snow from the school grounds??

No?, didn’t think so.. Have another brew on your paid (by the tax payer) day off
[quote][p][bold]Sawday2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]YorkPatrol[/bold] wrote: You only need to mention the word snow for the teachers to bale out and go AWOL[/p][/quote]Go stick you head in something brown and sticky you plonker. It's NOT the teachers, most of whom will make strenuous efforts to get in, but Heads who have the ultimate decision as to whether schools should close to pupils.[/p][/quote]If you teachers are so noble, when the head informs you that the school is to close (for no good reason) – why don’t you suggest that despite the closure, you will still attend and clear the snow from the school grounds?? No?, didn’t think so.. Have another brew on your paid (by the tax payer) day off YorkPatrol
  • Score: 0

2:10pm Mon 21 Jan 13

pedalling paul says...

Since when I had a bus.....?
Since when I had a bus.....? pedalling paul
  • Score: 0

2:10pm Mon 21 Jan 13

pedalling paul says...

Since when have I had a bus.....?
Since when have I had a bus.....? pedalling paul
  • Score: 0

2:22pm Mon 21 Jan 13

old_geezer says...

far2bizzy wrote:
DEKKA wrote:
Chance of snow. A weather forecast is actually a number of forecasts with slightly different initial conditions. A 96% chance of snow means that out of 25 forecasts 24 predict snow.
Sorry if I seem to be going on a bit but this really does puzzle me.

So if all 25 forecasts predict that there will be snow tomorrow for, say, 1 hour that would be 100% chance of snow? And if they also predict that for the rest of the time it will be dry and sunny that would also be 100% chance of it being dry and sunny? Which I suppose is theoretically correct but doesn’t seem very helpful.

A 100% chance of rain may mean that all the forecasts predict rain for 5 minutes at 3 a.m. – what use is that?
I believe there are typically 50 forecasts generated for each area at each time, based on a range of differing assumptions. If 48 say rain, then there's a 96% forecast chance of rain within that area. If all 50 say rain, the forecast says 100% chance, but that doesn't mean it's infallible. An advancing front may slow down, say, so there's no rain during the forecast period, but it arrives an hour or two later.
[quote][p][bold]far2bizzy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DEKKA[/bold] wrote: Chance of snow. A weather forecast is actually a number of forecasts with slightly different initial conditions. A 96% chance of snow means that out of 25 forecasts 24 predict snow.[/p][/quote]Sorry if I seem to be going on a bit but this really does puzzle me. So if all 25 forecasts predict that there will be snow tomorrow for, say, 1 hour that would be 100% chance of snow? And if they also predict that for the rest of the time it will be dry and sunny that would also be 100% chance of it being dry and sunny? Which I suppose is theoretically correct but doesn’t seem very helpful. A 100% chance of rain may mean that all the forecasts predict rain for 5 minutes at 3 a.m. – what use is that?[/p][/quote]I believe there are typically 50 forecasts generated for each area at each time, based on a range of differing assumptions. If 48 say rain, then there's a 96% forecast chance of rain within that area. If all 50 say rain, the forecast says 100% chance, but that doesn't mean it's infallible. An advancing front may slow down, say, so there's no rain during the forecast period, but it arrives an hour or two later. old_geezer
  • Score: 0

2:45pm Mon 21 Jan 13

The Dasher says...

Well done to the Press for this: "rolling weather coverage". I didn't know that weather rolled!!!! Really worried that the 1/2 inch of snow that has fallen in the last 24 hours will just finish off York. I've seen that film, the day after tomorrow (or was it called Wednesday - who knows???). Anyway, half of America had to move to Mexico, it really was shocking. Not to mention the drifting, oh dear yes, the drifting, bet that will be terrible. I blame City of York Council for this..... No, hang on I blame these horse's loosely tethered by our rural roads, or do I blame the cyclists, YES, they are to blame, or is it the FLOODS.... OMG, think of the floods to come. What few survivors we have will be swept away. Councillor James Alexander THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT. Lets all hold hands and pray for a miracle to save us, or just wait 24 hours for it all to thaw.....
Well done to the Press for this: "rolling weather coverage". I didn't know that weather rolled!!!! Really worried that the 1/2 inch of snow that has fallen in the last 24 hours will just finish off York. I've seen that film, the day after tomorrow (or was it called Wednesday - who knows???). Anyway, half of America had to move to Mexico, it really was shocking. Not to mention the drifting, oh dear yes, the drifting, bet that will be terrible. I blame City of York Council for this..... No, hang on I blame these horse's loosely tethered by our rural roads, or do I blame the cyclists, YES, they are to blame, or is it the FLOODS.... OMG, think of the floods to come. What few survivors we have will be swept away. Councillor James Alexander THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT. Lets all hold hands and pray for a miracle to save us, or just wait 24 hours for it all to thaw..... The Dasher
  • Score: 0

2:59pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Sawday2 says...

YorkPatrol wrote:
Sawday2 wrote:
YorkPatrol wrote: You only need to mention the word snow for the teachers to bale out and go AWOL
Go stick you head in something brown and sticky you plonker. It's NOT the teachers, most of whom will make strenuous efforts to get in, but Heads who have the ultimate decision as to whether schools should close to pupils.
If you teachers are so noble, when the head informs you that the school is to close (for no good reason) – why don’t you suggest that despite the closure, you will still attend and clear the snow from the school grounds??

No?, didn’t think so.. Have another brew on your paid (by the tax payer) day off
err... "You Teachers"? I'm not a teacher. Sorry to spoil your rant.

And what's all that about having a brew paid for by the taxpayer? Doesn't that apply to ALL government/council workers? You could just as well say ..."paid for by British Gas, KPMG, Virgin Media..." or whoever your employer happens to be.

Gawd there are some right plonkers here.
[quote][p][bold]YorkPatrol[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sawday2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]YorkPatrol[/bold] wrote: You only need to mention the word snow for the teachers to bale out and go AWOL[/p][/quote]Go stick you head in something brown and sticky you plonker. It's NOT the teachers, most of whom will make strenuous efforts to get in, but Heads who have the ultimate decision as to whether schools should close to pupils.[/p][/quote]If you teachers are so noble, when the head informs you that the school is to close (for no good reason) – why don’t you suggest that despite the closure, you will still attend and clear the snow from the school grounds?? No?, didn’t think so.. Have another brew on your paid (by the tax payer) day off[/p][/quote]err... "You Teachers"? I'm not a teacher. Sorry to spoil your rant. And what's all that about having a brew paid for by the taxpayer? Doesn't that apply to ALL government/council workers? You could just as well say ..."paid for by British Gas, KPMG, Virgin Media..." or whoever your employer happens to be. Gawd there are some right plonkers here. Sawday2
  • Score: 0

3:04pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Mr Udigawa says...

pedalling paul wrote:
Since when have I had a bus.....?
What you do in your spare time is up to you Paul, just make sure you can get it back out again.
[quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: Since when have I had a bus.....?[/p][/quote]What you do in your spare time is up to you Paul, just make sure you can get it back out again. Mr Udigawa
  • Score: 0

3:46pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Guy Fawkes says...

And what's all that about having a brew paid for by the taxpayer? Doesn't that apply to ALL government/council workers? You could just as well say ..."paid for by British Gas, KPMG, Virgin Media..." or whoever your employer happens to be.


As someone who has worked for both public and private sector employers, it is my experience that the former (with the exception of emergency services) are far more likely to shut up shop at the first sign of weather-related trouble. At my current workplace, a university, we've spent most of the day fielding calls and emails from students (most of whom live within easy walking distance of the campus) threatening to make formal complaints against us for holding lectures and seminars as normal and recording as absent those who don't attend. Having spent the previous 18 years of their lives being schooled in institutions that close down at the first sight of a snowflake, entering the real world is proving somewhat of a shock.
[quote]And what's all that about having a brew paid for by the taxpayer? Doesn't that apply to ALL government/council workers? You could just as well say ..."paid for by British Gas, KPMG, Virgin Media..." or whoever your employer happens to be.[/quote] As someone who has worked for both public and private sector employers, it is my experience that the former (with the exception of emergency services) are far more likely to shut up shop at the first sign of weather-related trouble. At my current workplace, a university, we've spent most of the day fielding calls and emails from students (most of whom live within easy walking distance of the campus) threatening to make formal complaints against us for holding lectures and seminars as normal and recording as absent those who don't attend. Having spent the previous 18 years of their lives being schooled in institutions that close down at the first sight of a snowflake, entering the real world is proving somewhat of a shock. Guy Fawkes
  • Score: 0

3:51pm Mon 21 Jan 13

roskoboskovic says...

rolling weather coverage with the last update at 1.44pm,do us a favour.either do it properly or don t bother at all.
rolling weather coverage with the last update at 1.44pm,do us a favour.either do it properly or don t bother at all. roskoboskovic
  • Score: 0

4:27pm Mon 21 Jan 13

DEKKA says...

roskoboskovic wrote:
d agorne sickens me with his attitude.cycle paths don t just get the same priority as roads they get priority over most roads.my street and surrounding ones off fulford rd don t get gritted never mind cleared yet the cycle path over low moor was cleared before 7.00 am on saturday morning.
You should buy a bike then :-)
[quote][p][bold]roskoboskovic[/bold] wrote: d agorne sickens me with his attitude.cycle paths don t just get the same priority as roads they get priority over most roads.my street and surrounding ones off fulford rd don t get gritted never mind cleared yet the cycle path over low moor was cleared before 7.00 am on saturday morning.[/p][/quote]You should buy a bike then :-) DEKKA
  • Score: 0

4:44pm Mon 21 Jan 13

meme says...

so much for global warming
The Government have confirmed there has been little upward change and they got it wrong
glaciers melting at unprecedented rates was completly made up
The artic is melting fastert than thought but there is still a great deal of it and this is almost certainly cyclical
Our weather is much as it has always been.... ie unpredictable.
Im all for being green and saving resources but its time the doom mongers who said we would all be baking to death and our climate would change irrevocably made a public apology and stopped trying to scare everyone to death in their push to be recognised as experts
so much for global warming The Government have confirmed there has been little upward change and they got it wrong glaciers melting at unprecedented rates was completly made up The artic is melting fastert than thought but there is still a great deal of it and this is almost certainly cyclical Our weather is much as it has always been.... ie unpredictable. Im all for being green and saving resources but its time the doom mongers who said we would all be baking to death and our climate would change irrevocably made a public apology and stopped trying to scare everyone to death in their push to be recognised as experts meme
  • Score: 0

4:45pm Mon 21 Jan 13

yorkborn66 says...

Guy Fawkes wrote:
And what's all that about having a brew paid for by the taxpayer? Doesn't that apply to ALL government/council workers? You could just as well say ..."paid for by British Gas, KPMG, Virgin Media..." or whoever your employer happens to be.


As someone who has worked for both public and private sector employers, it is my experience that the former (with the exception of emergency services) are far more likely to shut up shop at the first sign of weather-related trouble. At my current workplace, a university, we've spent most of the day fielding calls and emails from students (most of whom live within easy walking distance of the campus) threatening to make formal complaints against us for holding lectures and seminars as normal and recording as absent those who don't attend. Having spent the previous 18 years of their lives being schooled in institutions that close down at the first sight of a snowflake, entering the real world is proving somewhat of a shock.
At last common sense prevails, well said!
My daughter attended a lecture at Northumbria University today and could not understand the amount of students that could not be bothered.
[quote][p][bold]Guy Fawkes[/bold] wrote: [quote]And what's all that about having a brew paid for by the taxpayer? Doesn't that apply to ALL government/council workers? You could just as well say ..."paid for by British Gas, KPMG, Virgin Media..." or whoever your employer happens to be.[/quote] As someone who has worked for both public and private sector employers, it is my experience that the former (with the exception of emergency services) are far more likely to shut up shop at the first sign of weather-related trouble. At my current workplace, a university, we've spent most of the day fielding calls and emails from students (most of whom live within easy walking distance of the campus) threatening to make formal complaints against us for holding lectures and seminars as normal and recording as absent those who don't attend. Having spent the previous 18 years of their lives being schooled in institutions that close down at the first sight of a snowflake, entering the real world is proving somewhat of a shock.[/p][/quote]At last common sense prevails, well said! My daughter attended a lecture at Northumbria University today and could not understand the amount of students that could not be bothered. yorkborn66
  • Score: 0

5:16pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Site of woe says...

A few whining, but can anyone tell me how many schools in Selby and York were closed?
A few whining, but can anyone tell me how many schools in Selby and York were closed? Site of woe
  • Score: 0

5:36pm Mon 21 Jan 13

ColdAsChristmas says...

Well said meme.
The best one today is that I've been accused of 'harming science!' Get it right please, it is junk science I'm trying to destroy.
In fact I don't need to even try, the wheels are coming off all on their own.
How much colder do you warmers want it to be?
BTW, at just short of 54 degrees North, we are no where near the Arctic, however, looking outside you might think twice about it!
Well said meme. The best one today is that I've been accused of 'harming science!' Get it right please, it is junk science I'm trying to destroy. In fact I don't need to even try, the wheels are coming off all on their own. How much colder do you warmers want it to be? BTW, at just short of 54 degrees North, we are no where near the Arctic, however, looking outside you might think twice about it! ColdAsChristmas
  • Score: 0

6:00pm Mon 21 Jan 13

yorkborn66 says...

meme wrote:
so much for global warming
The Government have confirmed there has been little upward change and they got it wrong
glaciers melting at unprecedented rates was completly made up
The artic is melting fastert than thought but there is still a great deal of it and this is almost certainly cyclical
Our weather is much as it has always been.... ie unpredictable.
Im all for being green and saving resources but its time the doom mongers who said we would all be baking to death and our climate would change irrevocably made a public apology and stopped trying to scare everyone to death in their push to be recognised as experts
I agree with your comment to a certain degree (pardon the pun)
I am no expert at all but I have and I am sure you have noticed that once upon a time (1970 to 1980) we did have seasons with the odd blip.
I cannot work out if it is a natural cycle of our planet or global warming that is causing abnormal weather around the world.
I would like to see the politicians stop point scoring in York. If there is the possibility of exhaust emissions contributing to global warming (also pollution from industry). We as a nation need to seriously think of our public transportation system.
Many people try to politically point score on here regarding the benefits of cycling (of which I do) but until we have a workable, reliable and affordable transport system, I will use my car for my family when needed, our UK transport system is a disgrace.
Cycling is for the individual, or as a group, environmentally friendly, excellent mode of transport and sport for individuals to keep fit. But the failings are that it does not provide transport required for long journeys or putting food in the shops we buy from and contribute our infrastructure.
York would be a better place with a workable, reliable and affordable transport system. Cyclists and motorists could share our roads with a significant reduced congestion of private cars.
But until then “pigs will fly “ politicians will not lie, and I will win the lottery big time.
[quote][p][bold]meme[/bold] wrote: so much for global warming The Government have confirmed there has been little upward change and they got it wrong glaciers melting at unprecedented rates was completly made up The artic is melting fastert than thought but there is still a great deal of it and this is almost certainly cyclical Our weather is much as it has always been.... ie unpredictable. Im all for being green and saving resources but its time the doom mongers who said we would all be baking to death and our climate would change irrevocably made a public apology and stopped trying to scare everyone to death in their push to be recognised as experts[/p][/quote]I agree with your comment to a certain degree (pardon the pun) I am no expert at all but I have and I am sure you have noticed that once upon a time (1970 to 1980) we did have seasons with the odd blip. I cannot work out if it is a natural cycle of our planet or global warming that is causing abnormal weather around the world. I would like to see the politicians stop point scoring in York. If there is the possibility of exhaust emissions contributing to global warming (also pollution from industry). We as a nation need to seriously think of our public transportation system. Many people try to politically point score on here regarding the benefits of cycling (of which I do) but until we have a workable, reliable and affordable transport system, I will use my car for my family when needed, our UK transport system is a disgrace. Cycling is for the individual, or as a group, environmentally friendly, excellent mode of transport and sport for individuals to keep fit. But the failings are that it does not provide transport required for long journeys or putting food in the shops we buy from and contribute our infrastructure. York would be a better place with a workable, reliable and affordable transport system. Cyclists and motorists could share our roads with a significant reduced congestion of private cars. But until then “pigs will fly “ politicians will not lie, and I will win the lottery big time. yorkborn66
  • Score: 0

6:11pm Mon 21 Jan 13

The Dasher says...

Does anyone know any shops that are still open so I can go and do some panic buying?????
Does anyone know any shops that are still open so I can go and do some panic buying????? The Dasher
  • Score: 0

7:07pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Garrowby Turnoff says...

A Yellow snow warning has just been issued by the Met office for us lot. LOL.

Most parents and Frank Zappa were warning us about the consequences of eating yellow snow years ago.
A Yellow snow warning has just been issued by the Met office for us lot. LOL. Most parents and Frank Zappa were warning us about the consequences of eating yellow snow years ago. Garrowby Turnoff
  • Score: 0

8:05pm Mon 21 Jan 13

desmond tiblets says...

Not a bad job teachers have they are never at work if you take into account there sixty days holiday they have.
Not a bad job teachers have they are never at work if you take into account there sixty days holiday they have. desmond tiblets
  • Score: 0

9:44pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Sawday2 says...

desmond tiblets wrote:
Not a bad job teachers have they are never at work if you take into account there sixty days holiday they have.
You quite obviously do not know any teachers, nor anything about their work. It's the pupils that get the long holidays NOT the teachers. You are just showing your complete ignorance.
[quote][p][bold]desmond tiblets[/bold] wrote: Not a bad job teachers have they are never at work if you take into account there sixty days holiday they have.[/p][/quote]You quite obviously do not know any teachers, nor anything about their work. It's the pupils that get the long holidays NOT the teachers. You are just showing your complete ignorance. Sawday2
  • Score: 0

11:20pm Mon 21 Jan 13

NoNewsIsGoodNews says...

Sawday2 wrote:
desmond tiblets wrote:
Not a bad job teachers have they are never at work if you take into account there sixty days holiday they have.
You quite obviously do not know any teachers, nor anything about their work. It's the pupils that get the long holidays NOT the teachers. You are just showing your complete ignorance.
I am not knocking the good work that teachers do in the classroom, but please don't try to insult our intelligence by saying that they don't get long holidays.
Any teacher that has been in the job for five years or so can, with a little tweaking, rely on old lesson plans and paperwork from previous years, leaving plenty of time off during the Christmas/Easter/Sum
mer breaks.
And fair play to them for it, I wouldn't want to do their job for twice the wage.

Oh yes, and on the last teacher training day at my child's school, I bumped into three of her teachers at Tesco, all put their heads down and pretended they hadn't seen me, I did have to chuckle at that one.
[quote][p][bold]Sawday2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]desmond tiblets[/bold] wrote: Not a bad job teachers have they are never at work if you take into account there sixty days holiday they have.[/p][/quote]You quite obviously do not know any teachers, nor anything about their work. It's the pupils that get the long holidays NOT the teachers. You are just showing your complete ignorance.[/p][/quote]I am not knocking the good work that teachers do in the classroom, but please don't try to insult our intelligence by saying that they don't get long holidays. Any teacher that has been in the job for five years or so can, with a little tweaking, rely on old lesson plans and paperwork from previous years, leaving plenty of time off during the Christmas/Easter/Sum mer breaks. And fair play to them for it, I wouldn't want to do their job for twice the wage. Oh yes, and on the last teacher training day at my child's school, I bumped into three of her teachers at Tesco, all put their heads down and pretended they hadn't seen me, I did have to chuckle at that one. NoNewsIsGoodNews
  • Score: 0

7:02am Tue 22 Jan 13

desmond tiblets says...

Sawday2 wrote:
desmond tiblets wrote:
Not a bad job teachers have they are never at work if you take into account there sixty days holiday they have.
You quite obviously do not know any teachers, nor anything about their work. It's the pupils that get the long holidays NOT the teachers. You are just showing your complete ignorance.
Don't get me wrong it's not a job I ever fancied training for even if it is such a cushy number.I was left amazed when talking to a teacher friend of mine who's school had closed he'd been sledging somewhere!!!
[quote][p][bold]Sawday2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]desmond tiblets[/bold] wrote: Not a bad job teachers have they are never at work if you take into account there sixty days holiday they have.[/p][/quote]You quite obviously do not know any teachers, nor anything about their work. It's the pupils that get the long holidays NOT the teachers. You are just showing your complete ignorance.[/p][/quote]Don't get me wrong it's not a job I ever fancied training for even if it is such a cushy number.I was left amazed when talking to a teacher friend of mine who's school had closed he'd been sledging somewhere!!! desmond tiblets
  • Score: 0

7:33am Tue 22 Jan 13

Sawday2 says...

Where do you get the idea from that it's a "cushy number". Perhaps you would expect everyone who is off work due to the weather to stay indoors sewing mailbags be they teachers, insurance agents, accounts clerks, bank tellers or whatever?
Is the weather nice on your planet?
Where do you get the idea from that it's a "cushy number". Perhaps you would expect everyone who is off work due to the weather to stay indoors sewing mailbags be they teachers, insurance agents, accounts clerks, bank tellers or whatever? Is the weather nice on your planet? Sawday2
  • Score: 0

7:37am Tue 22 Jan 13

CHISSY1 says...

"Its a good job we don't get winters that we used to.And we keep getting reports of schools "forced to close",rubbish it is this stupid risk assessment that we keep hearing about.If the kids fall or slip and hurt themselves on ice or snow are they going to sue.".
"Its a good job we don't get winters that we used to.And we keep getting reports of schools "forced to close",rubbish it is this stupid risk assessment that we keep hearing about.If the kids fall or slip and hurt themselves on ice or snow are they going to sue.". CHISSY1
  • Score: 0

9:49am Tue 22 Jan 13

YorkPatrol says...

Sawday2 wrote:
YorkPatrol wrote:
Sawday2 wrote:
YorkPatrol wrote: You only need to mention the word snow for the teachers to bale out and go AWOL
Go stick you head in something brown and sticky you plonker. It's NOT the teachers, most of whom will make strenuous efforts to get in, but Heads who have the ultimate decision as to whether schools should close to pupils.
If you teachers are so noble, when the head informs you that the school is to close (for no good reason) – why don’t you suggest that despite the closure, you will still attend and clear the snow from the school grounds?? No?, didn’t think so.. Have another brew on your paid (by the tax payer) day off
err... "You Teachers"? I'm not a teacher. Sorry to spoil your rant. And what's all that about having a brew paid for by the taxpayer? Doesn't that apply to ALL government/council workers? You could just as well say ..."paid for by British Gas, KPMG, Virgin Media..." or whoever your employer happens to be. Gawd there are some right plonkers here.
Yes...... you!

What is it with you and teachers?? You may not be one but you are certainly in some way connected as you seem to know a lot about their working habits - Unless you are just surmising?


I know a teacher and he openly claims it’s the best job out there – spends most of the working day in the staff room supping tea (morning break, long lunch, afternoon break) – early finishes and great long holidays, not to mentioned teacher training days and the snow days off – he prays for snow
[quote][p][bold]Sawday2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]YorkPatrol[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sawday2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]YorkPatrol[/bold] wrote: You only need to mention the word snow for the teachers to bale out and go AWOL[/p][/quote]Go stick you head in something brown and sticky you plonker. It's NOT the teachers, most of whom will make strenuous efforts to get in, but Heads who have the ultimate decision as to whether schools should close to pupils.[/p][/quote]If you teachers are so noble, when the head informs you that the school is to close (for no good reason) – why don’t you suggest that despite the closure, you will still attend and clear the snow from the school grounds?? No?, didn’t think so.. Have another brew on your paid (by the tax payer) day off[/p][/quote]err... "You Teachers"? I'm not a teacher. Sorry to spoil your rant. And what's all that about having a brew paid for by the taxpayer? Doesn't that apply to ALL government/council workers? You could just as well say ..."paid for by British Gas, KPMG, Virgin Media..." or whoever your employer happens to be. Gawd there are some right plonkers here.[/p][/quote]Yes...... you! What is it with you and teachers?? You may not be one but you are certainly in some way connected as you seem to know a lot about their working habits - Unless you are just surmising? I know a teacher and he openly claims it’s the best job out there – spends most of the working day in the staff room supping tea (morning break, long lunch, afternoon break) – early finishes and great long holidays, not to mentioned teacher training days and the snow days off – he prays for snow YorkPatrol
  • Score: 0

10:11am Tue 22 Jan 13

Davroshasissues says...

As someone who is related to a teacher i would say that yes, they may get loads of weeks off, but they don't really have time to enjoy them. Preparing for the upcoming term in regards to planning, or in the case of the summer holidays, preparing for a new class of children. The pressure is unreal, and defines the phrase, full time job. Weekends are taken up by additional work, with little or no time to do your own thing.
As someone who is related to a teacher i would say that yes, they may get loads of weeks off, but they don't really have time to enjoy them. Preparing for the upcoming term in regards to planning, or in the case of the summer holidays, preparing for a new class of children. The pressure is unreal, and defines the phrase, full time job. Weekends are taken up by additional work, with little or no time to do your own thing. Davroshasissues
  • Score: 0

10:18am Tue 22 Jan 13

desmond tiblets says...

YorkPatrol wrote:
Sawday2 wrote:
YorkPatrol wrote:
Sawday2 wrote:
YorkPatrol wrote: You only need to mention the word snow for the teachers to bale out and go AWOL
Go stick you head in something brown and sticky you plonker. It's NOT the teachers, most of whom will make strenuous efforts to get in, but Heads who have the ultimate decision as to whether schools should close to pupils.
If you teachers are so noble, when the head informs you that the school is to close (for no good reason) – why don’t you suggest that despite the closure, you will still attend and clear the snow from the school grounds?? No?, didn’t think so.. Have another brew on your paid (by the tax payer) day off
err... "You Teachers"? I'm not a teacher. Sorry to spoil your rant. And what's all that about having a brew paid for by the taxpayer? Doesn't that apply to ALL government/council workers? You could just as well say ..."paid for by British Gas, KPMG, Virgin Media..." or whoever your employer happens to be. Gawd there are some right plonkers here.
Yes...... you! What is it with you and teachers?? You may not be one but you are certainly in some way connected as you seem to know a lot about their working habits - Unless you are just surmising? I know a teacher and he openly claims it’s the best job out there – spends most of the working day in the staff room supping tea (morning break, long lunch, afternoon break) – early finishes and great long holidays, not to mentioned teacher training days and the snow days off – he prays for snow
I agree.Not once in my working life have I ever been sent home due to bad weather.Teachers on the other hand prey for adverse weather so they can lounge around at home.If the rest of us operated like teachers the country would come to a standstill.
[quote][p][bold]YorkPatrol[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sawday2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]YorkPatrol[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sawday2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]YorkPatrol[/bold] wrote: You only need to mention the word snow for the teachers to bale out and go AWOL[/p][/quote]Go stick you head in something brown and sticky you plonker. It's NOT the teachers, most of whom will make strenuous efforts to get in, but Heads who have the ultimate decision as to whether schools should close to pupils.[/p][/quote]If you teachers are so noble, when the head informs you that the school is to close (for no good reason) – why don’t you suggest that despite the closure, you will still attend and clear the snow from the school grounds?? No?, didn’t think so.. Have another brew on your paid (by the tax payer) day off[/p][/quote]err... "You Teachers"? I'm not a teacher. Sorry to spoil your rant. And what's all that about having a brew paid for by the taxpayer? Doesn't that apply to ALL government/council workers? You could just as well say ..."paid for by British Gas, KPMG, Virgin Media..." or whoever your employer happens to be. Gawd there are some right plonkers here.[/p][/quote]Yes...... you! What is it with you and teachers?? You may not be one but you are certainly in some way connected as you seem to know a lot about their working habits - Unless you are just surmising? I know a teacher and he openly claims it’s the best job out there – spends most of the working day in the staff room supping tea (morning break, long lunch, afternoon break) – early finishes and great long holidays, not to mentioned teacher training days and the snow days off – he prays for snow[/p][/quote]I agree.Not once in my working life have I ever been sent home due to bad weather.Teachers on the other hand prey for adverse weather so they can lounge around at home.If the rest of us operated like teachers the country would come to a standstill. desmond tiblets
  • Score: 0

10:52am Tue 22 Jan 13

roy_batty says...

NEWS ALERT: due to adverse weather conditions lots of shops, factories an many other types of workplaces will remain open today, thousands of private sector employees will be expected to turn up at their place of work .... Teachers in public sector schools are exempt and can stay at home and relax ...

So one question, why is it that schools close down at the drop of a snowflake nowadays? They never shut when I went to school...

Can travelling to work be really blamed? I used to work in Scarborough and managed to get there during a few bad winters, also worked in Leeds and ditto again!

And can I just say a big well done to Clare Frisby who travelled to Leeds at 4:30 am this morning and then reported that lots of schools will be shut today due to teachers not been able to get into work!

I personally think a lot of teachers are taking the p**s!
NEWS ALERT: due to adverse weather conditions lots of shops, factories an many other types of workplaces will remain open today, thousands of private sector employees will be expected to turn up at their place of work .... Teachers in public sector schools are exempt and can stay at home and relax ... So one question, why is it that schools close down at the drop of a snowflake nowadays? They never shut when I went to school... Can travelling to work be really blamed? I used to work in Scarborough and managed to get there during a few bad winters, also worked in Leeds and ditto again! And can I just say a big well done to Clare Frisby who travelled to Leeds at 4:30 am this morning and then reported that lots of schools will be shut today due to teachers not been able to get into work! I personally think a lot of teachers are taking the p**s! roy_batty
  • Score: 0

11:26am Tue 22 Jan 13

yorkiemum says...

Again I ask the question
How many schools in York are shut? I remember when I worked in the city center the shops closing early because of bad weather.
Again I ask the question How many schools in York are shut? I remember when I worked in the city center the shops closing early because of bad weather. yorkiemum
  • Score: 0

11:55am Tue 22 Jan 13

roy_batty says...

yorkiemum wrote:
Again I ask the question How many schools in York are shut? I remember when I worked in the city center the shops closing early because of bad weather.
Yorkiemum, when was that? My wife works in browns ,and has done for a very long time and as never ever been sent home due to the shop shutting due to bad weather... In fact they seem to extend the hours during winter months nowadays
[quote][p][bold]yorkiemum[/bold] wrote: Again I ask the question How many schools in York are shut? I remember when I worked in the city center the shops closing early because of bad weather.[/p][/quote]Yorkiemum, when was that? My wife works in browns ,and has done for a very long time and as never ever been sent home due to the shop shutting due to bad weather... In fact they seem to extend the hours during winter months nowadays roy_batty
  • Score: 0

1:42pm Tue 22 Jan 13

Site of woe says...

No schools in York or Selby were closed, but yet the moaning still occurs. What a wonderful world.
No schools in York or Selby were closed, but yet the moaning still occurs. What a wonderful world. Site of woe
  • Score: 0

3:40pm Tue 22 Jan 13

Oncebitten says...

If the teachers can get to the schools even if the school is closed to pupils...why not use these as "teacher training days" and cancel all the others and if schools remain closed for a number of days they should be open longer when the weather improves..after all we don't want to waste valuable learning time...and heaven forbid you want to take the your child out of school at an inconvenient time for a family holiday!
If the teachers can get to the schools even if the school is closed to pupils...why not use these as "teacher training days" and cancel all the others and if schools remain closed for a number of days they should be open longer when the weather improves..after all we don't want to waste valuable learning time...and heaven forbid you want to take the your child out of school at an inconvenient time for a family holiday! Oncebitten
  • Score: 0

3:56pm Tue 22 Jan 13

YorkPatrol says...

Site of woe wrote:
No schools in York or Selby were closed, but yet the moaning still occurs. What a wonderful world.
Yes there was!

Not the mention the other hundreds round the country!
[quote][p][bold]Site of woe[/bold] wrote: No schools in York or Selby were closed, but yet the moaning still occurs. What a wonderful world.[/p][/quote]Yes there was! Not the mention the other hundreds round the country! YorkPatrol
  • Score: 0

5:09pm Tue 22 Jan 13

oi oi savaloy says...

If only I'd known teaching was going to be such a toss off , I'd have had a career change 17 years ago! AND yes I know 2 teachers... Funny how this new soft teaching culture erupted in the last 15 years...
If only I'd known teaching was going to be such a toss off , I'd have had a career change 17 years ago! AND yes I know 2 teachers... Funny how this new soft teaching culture erupted in the last 15 years... oi oi savaloy
  • Score: 0

7:15pm Sat 26 Jan 13

octoberon says...

In weather like this, it always helps if people drive with care. So, I'd like to inform the driver of what is believed to be a VW Polo who, at about 3 pm today, deliberately swerved in towards the kerb in Foss Islands Road so that he or she could shower us and other passers-by with a roughly 5 foot high plume of filthy slush, that the police are interested in the case and will be examining nearby traffic camera footage.
In weather like this, it always helps if people drive with care. So, I'd like to inform the driver of what is believed to be a VW Polo who, at about 3 pm today, deliberately swerved in towards the kerb in Foss Islands Road so that he or she could shower us and other passers-by with a roughly 5 foot high plume of filthy slush, that the police are interested in the case and will be examining nearby traffic camera footage. octoberon
  • Score: 0

12:32pm Sun 27 Jan 13

The Dasher says...

octoberon wrote:
In weather like this, it always helps if people drive with care. So, I'd like to inform the driver of what is believed to be a VW Polo who, at about 3 pm today, deliberately swerved in towards the kerb in Foss Islands Road so that he or she could shower us and other passers-by with a roughly 5 foot high plume of filthy slush, that the police are interested in the case and will be examining nearby traffic camera footage.
Bet it was a teacher, lazy sods all drive VW Polo's and at about 3pm would be heading home after another long day (well 6 hours) spent in those warm classrooms and staff rooms...
[quote][p][bold]octoberon[/bold] wrote: In weather like this, it always helps if people drive with care. So, I'd like to inform the driver of what is believed to be a VW Polo who, at about 3 pm today, deliberately swerved in towards the kerb in Foss Islands Road so that he or she could shower us and other passers-by with a roughly 5 foot high plume of filthy slush, that the police are interested in the case and will be examining nearby traffic camera footage.[/p][/quote]Bet it was a teacher, lazy sods all drive VW Polo's and at about 3pm would be heading home after another long day (well 6 hours) spent in those warm classrooms and staff rooms... The Dasher
  • Score: 0

12:33pm Sun 27 Jan 13

The Dasher says...

The Dasher wrote:
octoberon wrote:
In weather like this, it always helps if people drive with care. So, I'd like to inform the driver of what is believed to be a VW Polo who, at about 3 pm today, deliberately swerved in towards the kerb in Foss Islands Road so that he or she could shower us and other passers-by with a roughly 5 foot high plume of filthy slush, that the police are interested in the case and will be examining nearby traffic camera footage.
Bet it was a teacher, lazy sods all drive VW Polo's and at about 3pm would be heading home after another long day (well 6 hours) spent in those warm classrooms and staff rooms...
Sorry, my mistake, it was a Saturday. Definitely a teacher then.....
[quote][p][bold]The Dasher[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]octoberon[/bold] wrote: In weather like this, it always helps if people drive with care. So, I'd like to inform the driver of what is believed to be a VW Polo who, at about 3 pm today, deliberately swerved in towards the kerb in Foss Islands Road so that he or she could shower us and other passers-by with a roughly 5 foot high plume of filthy slush, that the police are interested in the case and will be examining nearby traffic camera footage.[/p][/quote]Bet it was a teacher, lazy sods all drive VW Polo's and at about 3pm would be heading home after another long day (well 6 hours) spent in those warm classrooms and staff rooms...[/p][/quote]Sorry, my mistake, it was a Saturday. Definitely a teacher then..... The Dasher
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree