Derwenthorpe housing development gets deadline extension

DEVELOPERS behind York’s Derwenthorpe project say they will still receive almost £1 million in public funding for affordable housing, despite missing a deadline for completion of the first phase.

Last autumn, City of York Council was asked to relax planning conditions banning weekend working at the Joseph Rowntree Housing Trust’s (JRHT) 540-home project to help ensure the first phase could finish by Christmas.

The proposal was opposed by Osbaldwick councillor Mark Warters, who said it would cause unacceptable disruption for local residents.

But planning consultant Jennifer Hubbard, writing to the council on behalf of builders David Wilson Homes, said there was a “considerable imperative” to complete it by then, not only for the builders but also the trust in relation to public funding.

She said all work would be internal and any plant movement would be carried out within permitted operating hours. But after permission was granted, some earthmoving work did take place on a Sunday, for which the builders apologised.

The trust said that as early as last September, it went on record saying construction of phase one was behind schedule and wanted to investigate with David Wilson Homes (DWH) ways of catching up, in order to not disappoint residents ready to move in prior to Christmas.

“We held consultations about this, and received no objection from Derwenthorpe residents,” said a spokesman.

“It is important to point out the ‘pepper potting’ of homes means both DWH and JRHT programmes are inextricably linked – to develop their homes across all tenures together, so we do not create a ‘ghettoed’ community.

“It was not appropriate to finish all the homes by Christmas and we didn’t want to compromise on the quality achieved to date by rushing.

“As an additional safeguard, JRHT asked the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) for flexibility in the deadline to build the affordable homes, which they agreed to extend to March 2013.”

He said the phase one affordable homes were now on course to be completed by the end of March - “bringing much needed family homes to York”.

An HCA spokesman confirmed its deadline for phase one was the end of March, and said its investment in phase one would be £978,000 to provide eight homes for shared ownership and 15 for social rent.

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:55pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Scarlet Pimpernel says...

Phase 1 (64 dwellings) will have taken two years to build (started in April 2011), and they started selling from temporary sales portakabin in January 2011. After two years, according to the DWH website there are still six private dwellings unsold, plus the one to be built where the sales centre is situated. This means out of 39 private dwellings, 32 have been sold in two years - a sales rate of around 0.3 units per week. This compares with DWH's national average of 0.49 units per week per site. Derwenthorpe therefore is not performing very well in terms of the sales rate of private dwellings. WHY ?
Phase 1 (64 dwellings) will have taken two years to build (started in April 2011), and they started selling from temporary sales portakabin in January 2011. After two years, according to the DWH website there are still six private dwellings unsold, plus the one to be built where the sales centre is situated. This means out of 39 private dwellings, 32 have been sold in two years - a sales rate of around 0.3 units per week. This compares with DWH's national average of 0.49 units per week per site. Derwenthorpe therefore is not performing very well in terms of the sales rate of private dwellings. WHY ? Scarlet Pimpernel
  • Score: 0

1:50pm Mon 21 Jan 13

nearlyman says...

Scarlet Pimpernel wrote:
Phase 1 (64 dwellings) will have taken two years to build (started in April 2011), and they started selling from temporary sales portakabin in January 2011. After two years, according to the DWH website there are still six private dwellings unsold, plus the one to be built where the sales centre is situated. This means out of 39 private dwellings, 32 have been sold in two years - a sales rate of around 0.3 units per week. This compares with DWH's national average of 0.49 units per week per site. Derwenthorpe therefore is not performing very well in terms of the sales rate of private dwellings. WHY ?
They look diabolical ?
[quote][p][bold]Scarlet Pimpernel[/bold] wrote: Phase 1 (64 dwellings) will have taken two years to build (started in April 2011), and they started selling from temporary sales portakabin in January 2011. After two years, according to the DWH website there are still six private dwellings unsold, plus the one to be built where the sales centre is situated. This means out of 39 private dwellings, 32 have been sold in two years - a sales rate of around 0.3 units per week. This compares with DWH's national average of 0.49 units per week per site. Derwenthorpe therefore is not performing very well in terms of the sales rate of private dwellings. WHY ?[/p][/quote]They look diabolical ? nearlyman
  • Score: 0

1:53pm Mon 21 Jan 13

tobefair says...

In reply to Scarlet Pimpernell
They aren't selling because a 2 bed JRHT house costs £195995 and a 3 bed house costs £264995. Just think how much they would be if they wern't "affordable".
In reply to Scarlet Pimpernell They aren't selling because a 2 bed JRHT house costs £195995 and a 3 bed house costs £264995. Just think how much they would be if they wern't "affordable". tobefair
  • Score: 0

2:16pm Mon 21 Jan 13

south bronx red 2 says...

Private developer looking to serve a shareholder in profits. Not the social housing JRHT sold to the public in its grand plans.
Im sure i recently saw £400k for one of the homes.
Private developer looking to serve a shareholder in profits. Not the social housing JRHT sold to the public in its grand plans. Im sure i recently saw £400k for one of the homes. south bronx red 2
  • Score: 0

2:29pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Rich Picking says...

Oh here we go blah blah blah. ........I think you will find that currently both new build and traditional houses are selling slower given the economic climate. I for one think the design of the houses are great and enjoy driving past there most days. The people of Osbaldwick regularly give negative comments about the new development and one can only assume that it is through jealousy. Come on lets embrace our neighbours and enjoy the community. (the site boasts a lake ,much improved walks and a childrens play area.
Oh here we go blah blah blah. ........I think you will find that currently both new build and traditional houses are selling slower given the economic climate. I for one think the design of the houses are great and enjoy driving past there most days. The people of Osbaldwick regularly give negative comments about the new development and one can only assume that it is through jealousy. Come on lets embrace our neighbours and enjoy the community. (the site boasts a lake ,much improved walks and a childrens play area. Rich Picking
  • Score: 0

3:39pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Scarlet Pimpernel says...

south bronx red 2 wrote:
Private developer looking to serve a shareholder in profits. Not the social housing JRHT sold to the public in its grand plans. Im sure i recently saw £400k for one of the homes.
There are four 'Skylark' 4-bed house types unsold. These were priced at £414,995 and £419,995 but have just been reduced to £399,995.

The high prices are a reflection of the unrealistic costs of 'sustainable' homes. Remember JRHT bought the land at a knockdown price of £5.65m from their left-wing council buddies at COYC, and this represented a discount of around 75% on the market value of residential building land. Even with that massive discount of around £15million, and an £8m HCA grant, JRHT can only afford to provide 40% affordable (social) housing. This shows how housebuilding has become unviable to all but the large private housebuilders and RSL's (housing associations). Not even the Council can afford to build council houses.

The industry has shrunk, and without regulatory roll-back will not grow anywhere near what is needed to avert a housing crisis far worse than we have already.

Are you listening Coun Simpson-Laing ?
[quote][p][bold]south bronx red 2[/bold] wrote: Private developer looking to serve a shareholder in profits. Not the social housing JRHT sold to the public in its grand plans. Im sure i recently saw £400k for one of the homes.[/p][/quote]There are four 'Skylark' 4-bed house types unsold. These were priced at £414,995 and £419,995 but have just been reduced to £399,995. The high prices are a reflection of the unrealistic costs of 'sustainable' homes. Remember JRHT bought the land at a knockdown price of £5.65m from their left-wing council buddies at COYC, and this represented a discount of around 75% on the market value of residential building land. Even with that massive discount of around £15million, and an £8m HCA grant, JRHT can only afford to provide 40% affordable (social) housing. This shows how housebuilding has become unviable to all but the large private housebuilders and RSL's (housing associations). Not even the Council can afford to build council houses. The industry has shrunk, and without regulatory roll-back will not grow anywhere near what is needed to avert a housing crisis far worse than we have already. Are you listening Coun Simpson-Laing ? Scarlet Pimpernel
  • Score: 0

3:49pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Scarlet Pimpernel says...

Rich Picking wrote:
Oh here we go blah blah blah. ........I think you will find that currently both new build and traditional houses are selling slower given the economic climate. I for one think the design of the houses are great and enjoy driving past there most days. The people of Osbaldwick regularly give negative comments about the new development and one can only assume that it is through jealousy. Come on lets embrace our neighbours and enjoy the community. (the site boasts a lake ,much improved walks and a childrens play area.
Sorry, you are wrong to defend the sales rate on this site as being par for the course. It is not selling as well as the few other sites in York, like Revival, Tadcaster Road (by Shepherd & Taylor Wimpey).

The aesthetic is interesting, but, not everyones cup of tea. Rumour has it that there have been problems with the centralised energy centre that provides heating and hot water too.

The second phase has not started, with no roads and sewers put in for it, so with phase 1 almost complete, there will be a delay of houses being available. At this rate of build (c.30 units/year) it will take 18 years to complete, which is very poor.

It all points to Derwenthorpe being a bit of a flop, actually, despite claims by JRHT and COYC that it is an exemplar. Exemplar of what exactly ?
[quote][p][bold]Rich Picking[/bold] wrote: Oh here we go blah blah blah. ........I think you will find that currently both new build and traditional houses are selling slower given the economic climate. I for one think the design of the houses are great and enjoy driving past there most days. The people of Osbaldwick regularly give negative comments about the new development and one can only assume that it is through jealousy. Come on lets embrace our neighbours and enjoy the community. (the site boasts a lake ,much improved walks and a childrens play area.[/p][/quote]Sorry, you are wrong to defend the sales rate on this site as being par for the course. It is not selling as well as the few other sites in York, like Revival, Tadcaster Road (by Shepherd & Taylor Wimpey). The aesthetic is interesting, but, not everyones cup of tea. Rumour has it that there have been problems with the centralised energy centre that provides heating and hot water too. The second phase has not started, with no roads and sewers put in for it, so with phase 1 almost complete, there will be a delay of houses being available. At this rate of build (c.30 units/year) it will take 18 years to complete, which is very poor. It all points to Derwenthorpe being a bit of a flop, actually, despite claims by JRHT and COYC that it is an exemplar. Exemplar of what exactly ? Scarlet Pimpernel
  • Score: 0

6:17pm Mon 21 Jan 13

south bronx red 2 says...

No money in house building.
DWH and others dont appear to be doing too bad.
Allowed to use their financial muscle to drive the price land up to beat off smaller builders, only to whinge to the government later about 'over paying' and allowed to "write down" the value with ampull taxpayers assistance.
Also the constant pennypinching from contractors , builders merchants, use of foreign substandard products in new build.
But the only reason a house builder wont build , is because of a few councillors ?
Id say its because if the PLC cant get a 65% return they are not interested.
No money in house building. DWH and others dont appear to be doing too bad. Allowed to use their financial muscle to drive the price land up to beat off smaller builders, only to whinge to the government later about 'over paying' and allowed to "write down" the value with ampull taxpayers assistance. Also the constant pennypinching from contractors , builders merchants, use of foreign substandard products in new build. But the only reason a house builder wont build , is because of a few councillors ? Id say its because if the PLC cant get a 65% return they are not interested. south bronx red 2
  • Score: 0

12:55am Tue 22 Jan 13

Scarlet Pimpernel says...

south bronx red 2 wrote:
No money in house building. DWH and others dont appear to be doing too bad. Allowed to use their financial muscle to drive the price land up to beat off smaller builders, only to whinge to the government later about 'over paying' and allowed to "write down" the value with ampull taxpayers assistance. Also the constant pennypinching from contractors , builders merchants, use of foreign substandard products in new build. But the only reason a house builder wont build , is because of a few councillors ? Id say its because if the PLC cant get a 65% return they are not interested.
Total garbage !

I challenge you to back up your outrageous, exaggerated claims with some factual figures and case histories.

They don't whinge about over-paying, they take the hit on the balance sheet and write down the impaired sites. they will however complain where S106 requirements make sites unworkable.

Politicians (instigated by the left) have used S106 to drive down land values and greedily try and grab as much affordable (social) housing out of private housebuilders. Some, like York Council, took it to such extremes, with their 50% policy, that it has caused massive damage to York's economy and housebuilding interests.

The top 20 housebuilders in the UK have made a net loss of almost £5 billion in the last four years. Only the largest quoted PLC's have started to make profit in the last two years, but, only one company; Berkeley Group are making acceptable returns on capital.

'south bronx red 2' sounds like an american who hasn't got a clue about the UK housebuilding sector.
[quote][p][bold]south bronx red 2[/bold] wrote: No money in house building. DWH and others dont appear to be doing too bad. Allowed to use their financial muscle to drive the price land up to beat off smaller builders, only to whinge to the government later about 'over paying' and allowed to "write down" the value with ampull taxpayers assistance. Also the constant pennypinching from contractors , builders merchants, use of foreign substandard products in new build. But the only reason a house builder wont build , is because of a few councillors ? Id say its because if the PLC cant get a 65% return they are not interested.[/p][/quote]Total garbage ! I challenge you to back up your outrageous, exaggerated claims with some factual figures and case histories. They don't whinge about over-paying, they take the hit on the balance sheet and write down the impaired sites. they will however complain where S106 requirements make sites unworkable. Politicians (instigated by the left) have used S106 to drive down land values and greedily try and grab as much affordable (social) housing out of private housebuilders. Some, like York Council, took it to such extremes, with their 50% policy, that it has caused massive damage to York's economy and housebuilding interests. The top 20 housebuilders in the UK have made a net loss of almost £5 billion in the last four years. Only the largest quoted PLC's have started to make profit in the last two years, but, only one company; Berkeley Group are making acceptable returns on capital. 'south bronx red 2' sounds like an american who hasn't got a clue about the UK housebuilding sector. Scarlet Pimpernel
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree