Report this comment
  • "
    mmarshal wrote:
    janail wrote:
    Call me hard but I really don't understand why this woman ( and countless others) attempt to drive through floodwaters and then have to rely on others to rescue them. Surely, if you had any common sense, you would only attempt this in a life or death situation.
    Until recently, I'd have agreed with you but now I'm inclined to be more understanding. In early November whilst driving to work I could see that there were several areas of standing water on the road. It was early morning, dark and raining. There were no road closure signs for flooding but I was still taking it steady, driving at about 35-40 mph. Unfortunately I was being tailgated by a less cautious, impatient driver and his headlights in my rear view mirrors impeded my view of the road. I didn't see the water at all and when I hit it it was almost like hitting a wall and I was brought almost to a standstill. I was immediately swamped and into about 3 feet of water. It came as quite a shock and I was fortunate not to have got stuck. I dipped my clutch and maintained my revs and drove slowly out of the water. That wasn't the end of the problem; the tailgater was a higher vehicle and he actually overtook me in the flood water, again swamping me. Looking through my side window I could just make out the vehicle, a white flat top works vehicle with North Yorkshire County Council printed on the side. Perhaps he was rushing out to put out road closure signs.
    I was going to suggest that she hadn't escaped death but idiocy. That statement simply couldn't be true.

    As with one reader's comments, looking to attribute blame elsewhere than the driver's ability or lack thereof. It's another classic case of not driving appropriately for the weather and road conditions irrespective of whether additional road-side warning signs had been displayed. And to seek publicity from a foolish act? Embarrassing. Stupid is, as stupid does."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.

  • Enter the above word in the box below

Tsunami survivor Nina Aldrich cheats death in floods near Huttons Ambo in Ryedale

Tsunami survivor cheats death in North Yorkshire floods

Nina Aldrich

Tsunami survivor Nina Aldrich with her husband, Marcus

First published in News York Press: Photograph of the Author by , Chief reporter

A TSUNAMI survivor has told how she cheated death for a second time when her car became submerged in North Yorkshire floodwaters.

Nina Aldrich, who developed multiple sclerosis months after witnessing the 2004 tsunami during a holiday in Phuket, said she did not have the energy to wade through the waist-deep water on a road near Huttons Ambo in Ryedale.

“I thought I was going to drown,” she said. “It was up to the door handles. The car had broken down. I had only one bar on my mobile, but managed to call my husband, Marcus.”

Mr Aldrich said he was in Driffield when he got the call. “She was in absolute panic,” he said. “She was convinced she was going to die.”

He contacted friends in the area, including James Clearey, who rushed to the scene, waded up to his waist to get to the car and then carried Mrs Aldrich to safety.

“He is my hero,” said Mrs Aldrich, 38, of Whitwell-on-the-Hill, whose car was written off in the incident last month.

She spoke of her ordeal as she and her husband prepared to stage a veterans’ rugby match in Malton in a bid to raise £3,000 for the Ryedale branch of the Multiple Sclerosis Society.

She said she was convinced she developed the debilitating condition as a result of the trauma of witnessing the Boxing Day tsunami just over eight years ago.

“I had always been an incredibly fit and active person,” she said. “I went to the gym three times a week and went rollerblading.”

She said she developed strange symptoms in the months after returing home, becoming very tired and losing her balance before multiple sclerosis was eventually diagnosed.

She said she was on holiday in Thailand with her ex-husband when the tsunami struck. “It was horrific,” she said. “We were staying at a five-star hotel on a cliff and we went down to the dining room to find everyone panicking and shouting: ‘Tsunami, Tsunami!’ I didn’t even know what a tsunami was at the time.

“We looked out and the sea had just disappeared. All the boats were stranded on the seabed. Then there was a surge of water towards the land and it just kept on surging and surging.

“Then they said we had to head for the mountains as there was a 60ft wave coming, and I thought we were going to drown.”

She said the wave never came, but the village below her hotel was destroyed by the waters.

She said it was a week before they could get a flight home to Britain.

• The rugby match is being planned for Saturday March 2 at Malton rugby club, followed by a fundraising evening at the Stone Trough pub at Kirkham Abbey. Anyone interested in taking part or wanting to make a donation should email

Comments (19)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree