New drive to take rough sleepers off York's streets

EFFORTS to fight homelessness in York are to be stepped up, to try to prevent people slipping into a dangerous lifestyle.

Rough sleeping in York is less of a problem than in many other cities, but it is vital that new rough sleepers are helped off the streets as quickly as possible, council leaders said.

They were speaking as it was announced that the Archbishop of York will next week launch the city's response to a national project aimed at tackling rough sleeping.

Dr John Sentamu, who chaired the city’s Fairness Commission report earlier this year, will unveil the scheme – developed through the Salvation Army, the Peasholme Charity, the Arc Light centre, City of York Council and other bodies – on Monday.

It will outline how York organisations will play a part in the No Second Night Out initiative, designed to ensure new rough sleepers are identified and helped off the streets as soon as possible to avoid them drifting into a dangerous homeless lifestyle. It will also encourage residents to report instances of rough-sleeping, and provide places of safety and emergency accommodation.

The council said rough-sleeping levels in York were “relatively low” but had increased over the last year.

Coun Tracey Simpson-Laing, the authority’s cabinet member for health, housing and adult social services, said: “Rough sleepers need support and advice to make the best decision for their health, wellbeing and security, and with reduced funding we need to pool our resources with partner agencies and invite the public to play their part.”

Dave Knowles, the Peasholme Charity’s chief executive, who chairs York’s No Second Night Out working group, said: “We are delighted the Archbishop has agreed to launch this new initiative as it is important we continue to work to reduce rough-sleeping in York, even more so at a time of economic pressures and high demand for housing.”

Anybody who is concerned about a rough sleeper they have seen, especially outside York city centre, can phone the StreetLink helpline on 0300 500 0914 or log on to streetlink.org.uk so they can be connected to Salvation Army support services.

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:45pm Tue 1 Jan 13

jorvik says...

Maybe if James spent more time on this problem instead of trolling around EDL websites
Maybe if James spent more time on this problem instead of trolling around EDL websites jorvik
  • Score: 0

1:19pm Tue 1 Jan 13

Buzz Light-year says...

Yes jorvik we get the message.

All jma1982 is doing is once again demonstrating his lack of web/tech savvy.
Yes jorvik we get the message. All jma1982 is doing is once again demonstrating his lack of web/tech savvy. Buzz Light-year
  • Score: 0

3:55pm Tue 1 Jan 13

capt spaulding says...

Anna Semlyon rents rooms to lodgers tax free
Anna Semlyon rents rooms to lodgers tax free capt spaulding
  • Score: 0

6:21pm Tue 1 Jan 13

Trespar Zagenstuz says...

I feel a little uneasy at the reporter's use of the descriptive word 'lifestyle'.
It does suggest some sort of choice is involved for those who are found at night in winter, asleep in the streets.
How many people here would chose that particular 'lifestyle'?
I feel a little uneasy at the reporter's use of the descriptive word 'lifestyle'. It does suggest some sort of choice is involved for those who are found at night in winter, asleep in the streets. How many people here would chose that particular 'lifestyle'? Trespar Zagenstuz
  • Score: 0

8:33pm Tue 1 Jan 13

Buzz Light-year says...

Trespar Zagenstuz wrote:
I feel a little uneasy at the reporter's use of the descriptive word 'lifestyle'. It does suggest some sort of choice is involved for those who are found at night in winter, asleep in the streets. How many people here would chose that particular 'lifestyle'?
I don't think they mean choice.

I think the idea is that when people become homeless they are looking to intervene before they get sucked into the "homeless lifestyle" by which they mean excessive drinking, heroin use and petty crime.
Don't know why they didn't say that tbh.
[quote][p][bold]Trespar Zagenstuz[/bold] wrote: I feel a little uneasy at the reporter's use of the descriptive word 'lifestyle'. It does suggest some sort of choice is involved for those who are found at night in winter, asleep in the streets. How many people here would chose that particular 'lifestyle'?[/p][/quote]I don't think they mean choice. I think the idea is that when people become homeless they are looking to intervene before they get sucked into the "homeless lifestyle" by which they mean excessive drinking, heroin use and petty crime. Don't know why they didn't say that tbh. Buzz Light-year
  • Score: 0

9:19pm Tue 1 Jan 13

Paul Meoff says...

All part of a strategy to drive the winos and druggies out of the centre and into Acomb, Tang Hall and Clifton. They will then have an incentive to clean themselves up and get a job in order to escape.
All part of a strategy to drive the winos and druggies out of the centre and into Acomb, Tang Hall and Clifton. They will then have an incentive to clean themselves up and get a job in order to escape. Paul Meoff
  • Score: 0

9:51pm Tue 1 Jan 13

deathwatch says...

Homeless people are not all drug addicts and alcoholics. The only reason York **** Council want them off the streets is that the might not look too appealing to the tourists. The council couldn't care less about the needs of homeless people they just want them out of the way so the city can appear more 'tourist friendly'. Paul Meoff thinks that 'winos & druggies' can choose to simply " clean themselves up and get a job in order to escape" and hence proves what the average narrow-minded moron thinks about the issue of homelessness, ie that it can be fixed easily by having a bath and walking out and getting a job. Jeez!...
People are sleeping rough NOT THROUGH CHOICE, not because they are 'lazy druggies and alcoholics'. Many are trying to escape a life of extreme violence and abuse. Many have mental health issues. Many are simply forced to sleep rough because our so-called 'civilised' society is too buried in pointless bureaucracy to positively deal with the issue. Meanwhile, over a million properties in the UK stand empty. Homelessness can happen to ANYONE. Remember that before you look down on the homeless with sneering contempt and tar all with your bigoted brush. Show compassion to those who deserve it. It might be YOU one day trying to keep warm all night, in the rain next to a wall, while snotty, spineless, small-minded bigots shuffle past trying not to look you in the eye.
Homeless people are not all drug addicts and alcoholics. The only reason York **** Council want them off the streets is that the might not look too appealing to the tourists. The council couldn't care less about the needs of homeless people they just want them out of the way so the city can appear more 'tourist friendly'. Paul Meoff thinks that 'winos & druggies' can choose to simply " clean themselves up and get a job in order to escape" and hence proves what the average narrow-minded moron thinks about the issue of homelessness, ie that it can be fixed easily by having a bath and walking out and getting a job. Jeez!... People are sleeping rough NOT THROUGH CHOICE, not because they are 'lazy druggies and alcoholics'. Many are trying to escape a life of extreme violence and abuse. Many have mental health issues. Many are simply forced to sleep rough because our so-called 'civilised' society is too buried in pointless bureaucracy to positively deal with the issue. Meanwhile, over a million properties in the UK stand empty. Homelessness can happen to ANYONE. Remember that before you look down on the homeless with sneering contempt and tar all with your bigoted brush. Show compassion to those who deserve it. It might be YOU one day trying to keep warm all night, in the rain next to a wall, while snotty, spineless, small-minded bigots shuffle past trying not to look you in the eye. deathwatch
  • Score: 0

9:58pm Tue 1 Jan 13

piaggio1 says...

Anna Semlyon rents rooms to lodgers tax free”
only if they are prepared to go through a 3 hour hard sell ,on solar pannells??

mint comment though!!
Anna Semlyon rents rooms to lodgers tax free” only if they are prepared to go through a 3 hour hard sell ,on solar pannells?? mint comment though!! piaggio1
  • Score: 0

10:31pm Tue 1 Jan 13

deathwatch says...

piaggio1 wrote:
Anna Semlyon rents rooms to lodgers tax free”
only if they are prepared to go through a 3 hour hard sell ,on solar pannells??

mint comment though!!
If they've been living there for, say, a month, for free, will she eventually realise that a homeless person might not have solar panels high on their list of priorities? Mind you, I'd put up with the sales pitch for a free room... In fact, I might be interested in solar panels, come to think of it...
[quote][p][bold]piaggio1[/bold] wrote: Anna Semlyon rents rooms to lodgers tax free” only if they are prepared to go through a 3 hour hard sell ,on solar pannells?? mint comment though!![/p][/quote]If they've been living there for, say, a month, for free, will she eventually realise that a homeless person might not have solar panels high on their list of priorities? Mind you, I'd put up with the sales pitch for a free room... In fact, I might be interested in solar panels, come to think of it... deathwatch
  • Score: 0

10:13am Wed 2 Jan 13

bob the builder says...

deathwatch wrote:
Homeless people are not all drug addicts and alcoholics. The only reason York **** Council want them off the streets is that the might not look too appealing to the tourists. The council couldn't care less about the needs of homeless people they just want them out of the way so the city can appear more 'tourist friendly'. Paul Meoff thinks that 'winos & druggies' can choose to simply " clean themselves up and get a job in order to escape" and hence proves what the average narrow-minded moron thinks about the issue of homelessness, ie that it can be fixed easily by having a bath and walking out and getting a job. Jeez!...
People are sleeping rough NOT THROUGH CHOICE, not because they are 'lazy druggies and alcoholics'. Many are trying to escape a life of extreme violence and abuse. Many have mental health issues. Many are simply forced to sleep rough because our so-called 'civilised' society is too buried in pointless bureaucracy to positively deal with the issue. Meanwhile, over a million properties in the UK stand empty. Homelessness can happen to ANYONE. Remember that before you look down on the homeless with sneering contempt and tar all with your bigoted brush. Show compassion to those who deserve it. It might be YOU one day trying to keep warm all night, in the rain next to a wall, while snotty, spineless, small-minded bigots shuffle past trying not to look you in the eye.
Over the top response - it's only the individual affected who can effect change. Most of them can't change, it's hardwired in to them to be what they are, the best we can do is to recreate something like the workhouse and give them food, education and work and keep them from drink, drugs and crime.
[quote][p][bold]deathwatch[/bold] wrote: Homeless people are not all drug addicts and alcoholics. The only reason York **** Council want them off the streets is that the might not look too appealing to the tourists. The council couldn't care less about the needs of homeless people they just want them out of the way so the city can appear more 'tourist friendly'. Paul Meoff thinks that 'winos & druggies' can choose to simply " clean themselves up and get a job in order to escape" and hence proves what the average narrow-minded moron thinks about the issue of homelessness, ie that it can be fixed easily by having a bath and walking out and getting a job. Jeez!... People are sleeping rough NOT THROUGH CHOICE, not because they are 'lazy druggies and alcoholics'. Many are trying to escape a life of extreme violence and abuse. Many have mental health issues. Many are simply forced to sleep rough because our so-called 'civilised' society is too buried in pointless bureaucracy to positively deal with the issue. Meanwhile, over a million properties in the UK stand empty. Homelessness can happen to ANYONE. Remember that before you look down on the homeless with sneering contempt and tar all with your bigoted brush. Show compassion to those who deserve it. It might be YOU one day trying to keep warm all night, in the rain next to a wall, while snotty, spineless, small-minded bigots shuffle past trying not to look you in the eye.[/p][/quote]Over the top response - it's only the individual affected who can effect change. Most of them can't change, it's hardwired in to them to be what they are, the best we can do is to recreate something like the workhouse and give them food, education and work and keep them from drink, drugs and crime. bob the builder
  • Score: 0

11:20am Wed 2 Jan 13

Trespar Zagenstuz says...

"Over the top response - it's only the individual affected who can effect change. Most of them can't change, it's hardwired in to them to be what they are, the best we can do is to recreate something like the workhouse and give them food, education and work and keep them from drink, drugs and crime." says Bob the builder.

A wondrously snotty avuncular look at society from a position of assumed moral superiority, 'B the B'.

You say "most of them can't change". Ask yourself how 'most of them' arrived on the street in the first place. Were they born there, the sons and daughters of vagrants and sturdy beggars? Or are you assuming that for many (and thus my original point,) it was a 'lifestyle choice' to live the life of danger, adventure and excitement close to the edge, or indeed the pavement, essentially because it's a cheap way of skiving off society? Would you make this 'lifestyle choice' (In Britain, in the winter!)? Who do you think would?
Perhaps from your position on high you cannot discern that many, if not most, arrived on the pavements by no fault or indeed choice of their own.
I don't consider myself to be quite as high as your good self such that I can mete out moral judgments on what people ought to do if their lives fall apart ; t either through reasons of crumbling family life or, more importantly, for reasons of an inability to work due to ill-health or due to a job suddenly ceasing to exist.
This therefore could be a 'lifestyle decision' not made by the individual but by circumstance.
However, from your vaunted position, it probably won't affect your lifestyle choices, B the B, except when you have to arduously steer a wide path around these street-people as they annoyingly get in your way whilst you are on your good night out on the town.
So sweep 'em all up and shove 'em in a container somewhere out of your high sight-line, eh? And feel morally superior for being able to suggest it.
Never fall on hard times, B the B. People quite obviously better than you have, and it can come as a great shock.
"Over the top response - it's only the individual affected who can effect change. Most of them can't change, it's hardwired in to them to be what they are, the best we can do is to recreate something like the workhouse and give them food, education and work and keep them from drink, drugs and crime." says Bob the builder. A wondrously snotty avuncular look at society from a position of assumed moral superiority, 'B the B'. You say "most of them can't change". Ask yourself how 'most of them' arrived on the street in the first place. Were they born there, the sons and daughters of vagrants and sturdy beggars? Or are you assuming that for many (and thus my original point,) it was a 'lifestyle choice' to live the life of danger, adventure and excitement close to the edge, or indeed the pavement, essentially because it's a cheap way of skiving off society? Would you make this 'lifestyle choice' (In Britain, in the winter!)? Who do you think would? Perhaps from your position on high you cannot discern that many, if not most, arrived on the pavements by no fault or indeed choice of their own. I don't consider myself to be quite as high as your good self such that I can mete out moral judgments on what people ought to do if their lives fall apart ; t either through reasons of crumbling family life or, more importantly, for reasons of an inability to work due to ill-health or due to a job suddenly ceasing to exist. This therefore could be a 'lifestyle decision' not made by the individual but by circumstance. However, from your vaunted position, it probably won't affect your lifestyle choices, B the B, except when you have to arduously steer a wide path around these street-people as they annoyingly get in your way whilst you are on your good night out on the town. So sweep 'em all up and shove 'em in a container somewhere out of your high sight-line, eh? And feel morally superior for being able to suggest it. Never fall on hard times, B the B. People quite obviously better than you have, and it can come as a great shock. Trespar Zagenstuz
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree