Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
Kill-threat man found guilty
A MAN threatened to kill his estranged wife and wrecked the marital home and her belongings after she refused his pleas to get back together, a court heard.
Andrew Newman armed himself with a kitchen knife, throttled Susan Newman until she couldn’t breathe, banged her head against the floor and punched her in the face, York Crown Court was told. Mrs Newman said: “He said if I can’t have you, nobody will.”
She told the court she managed to escape from the house in Moat Way, Brayton, but returned six months later because a neighbour raised concerns.
“Everything was smashed, there were holes in the wall and there wasn’t one piece of furniture left intact,” she told the jury.
She said her collection of vases and porcelain was smashed and curtains, carpets and her clothes were slashed, but her husband’s belongings were intact.
Andrew Newman had been judged unfit to plead or stand trial. The jury was asked whether he caused the criminal damage which was valued at more than £30,000 and whether he caused Mrs Newman actual bodily harm, and decided that he had done both.
The case was adjourned for medical reports before a judge decides Newman’s fate. Mrs Newman said she stopped living in Moat Way on September 26, 2010, after her six-year marriage broke up.
On September 28, because his boss was concerned about her husband, she returned and Andrew Newman gave her two bouquets on bended knee as he begged her to come back to him. She declined and he bruised her and cut her during the assault.
The court was told that during police interviews Newman denied assaulting her or causing the damage.