A MOTHER who was told she would never conceive naturally has told how she wept tears of joy after giving birth to a baby boy.

Helen Laurence, 32, from the Leeman Road area of York, said it was only after she had returned home from York Hospital with baby Murphy that the enormity of what had happened struck her.

“I sat down on the edge of the bed and started crying, and said: ‘You’re so cute!’” she said.

“I was crying but it was happy tears. I couldn’t believe that my body, which wouldn’t work for me, had created something so perfect.”

Her husband Andi, 37, a self-employed car restorer, said he too had had tears streaming down his face. “I was chuffed to bits. We are still on Cloud Nine,” he said.

Helen, who suffers from ME, said she had been trying for a baby for seven years, and had been told she would never become pregnant without IVF treatment.

She had one unsuccessful course on the NHS and was unable to afford the £4,500 cost of going private, leaving her and Andi fearing they might never become parents, until Murphy was conceived naturally earlier this year.

The couple, whose infertility problems were exacerbated by Helen’s chronic fatigue, said her pregnancy and labour had gone as well as they could have hoped, bearing in mind her condition.

“I suffered from terrible indigestion but otherwise the pregnancy went well,” she said. “I think the hormones strengthened me, particularly during the second trimester when I had much more energy.

“People kept saying how well I looked and Andi said that if I glowed any more, we wouldn’t need to put the lights on.

“I think the hormones are still helping now as I’m breast feeding, but it helps that he is a really good, laid-back baby.

“My labour was really hard, and the delivery had to be assisted. Andi and my sister said I was hard as nails to go through what I did.”

She revealed that when the doctor arrived to assist in the final stages of the delivery at York Hospital, Helen was staggered to recognise him from her time undergoing IVF treatment at Seacroft Hospital, Leeds.

She said it turned out he was the same medic who had been involved in harvesting her eggs, who had subsequently moved to York Hospital.

“He was quite taken aback,” she said. “He had been there at the start of it all and he was there at the end.”