Olympic boxer Nicola Adams opens Drax Power Station’s Skylark Centre and Nature Reserve

York Press: Drax Primary School pupils with Olympic boxer Nicola Adams at the opening of the new Skylark Centre and Nature Reserve Drax Primary School pupils with Olympic boxer Nicola Adams at the opening of the new Skylark Centre and Nature Reserve

A GOLD medal-winning Olympian has told school children in North Yorkshire that “as long as you believe and have a dream, you can achieve anything”.

Record-setting boxer Nicola Adams officially opened Drax Power Station’s Skylark Centre and Nature Reserve yesterday, and stopped to answer questions and sign autographs for pupils from Drax Primary School.

The Leeds-born winner punched her way through a gold medal-shaped screen, and told the children how winning her medal felt.

She told them: “If you can imagine all your Christmasses rolled into one, that’s what it was like.”

The new facility replaces the original structure, built in 1995, and Peter Emery, production director at Drax, told the crowd nature was as impressive as Olympic feats, with peregrine falcons able to swoop faster than Chris Hoy can cycle, and encouraged them to visit the site.

Mr Emery said: “Our ambition 17 years ago was to create a space for children to learn and understand more about their discoveries on educational visits and tours of the nature reserve. We are confident that this new centre will continue to enrich the knowledge and enjoyment of generations to come.”

Nicola said she was finally getting used to life after the Olympics, but was still amazed at how much her life had changed. She said: “The whole time has been fantastic, and I’ve been getting the opportunities to go places I never would have had chance to go, like the MOBO Awards, flying to Rio with the Prime Minister, and meeting the Queen. Kate Middleton said she had a sore throat from screaming at my fights. It’s nice to know I had that much support.

“It’s fantastic the kids can take inspiration from me and go out and do sport or be inspired to go out and try something new. This is great, I wish I had something like this when I was younger, getting out, learning about different animals, it makes learning fun.”

When asked whether she felt she had a good chance at winning Sports Personality Of The Year this year, Nicola said just the nomination would be enough.

She said: “It’s a really tough pick this year. I’d be over the moon if I was nominated. I think if I even got nominated for that, I would be blown away.”

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:50am Wed 14 Nov 12

CHISSY1 says...

"The kids can take inspiration from me",yes take up fighting.
"The kids can take inspiration from me",yes take up fighting. CHISSY1
  • Score: 0

8:53am Wed 14 Nov 12

myselby says...

Boxing is not fighting -
Boxing is not fighting - myselby
  • Score: 0

10:52am Wed 14 Nov 12

Omega Point says...

It is called fighting: "the big fight", a good fighter" so on. You mean as in street scrapping I assume. Still the promotion of violence
It is called fighting: "the big fight", a good fighter" so on. You mean as in street scrapping I assume. Still the promotion of violence Omega Point
  • Score: 0

11:13am Wed 14 Nov 12

BL2 says...

myselby wrote:
Boxing is not fighting -
What is it then? Of course it is!
[quote][p][bold]myselby[/bold] wrote: Boxing is not fighting -[/p][/quote]What is it then? Of course it is! BL2
  • Score: 0

12:14pm Wed 14 Nov 12

selbyperson says...

usually it is hitting your opponents head as often and as hard as you can until they cannot stand up (ie beat them senseless)
usually it is hitting your opponents head as often and as hard as you can until they cannot stand up (ie beat them senseless) selbyperson
  • Score: 0

1:17pm Wed 14 Nov 12

GPRD says...

CHISSY1 wrote:
"The kids can take inspiration from me",yes take up fighting.
Or you could be positive,and give the whole quote!
Whatever anyones view on boxing is, why turn something positive into something negative?
[quote][p][bold]CHISSY1[/bold] wrote: "The kids can take inspiration from me",yes take up fighting.[/p][/quote]Or you could be positive,and give the whole quote! Whatever anyones view on boxing is, why turn something positive into something negative? GPRD
  • Score: 0

1:49pm Wed 14 Nov 12

CHISSY1 says...

GPRD wrote:
CHISSY1 wrote:
"The kids can take inspiration from me",yes take up fighting.
Or you could be positive,and give the whole quote!
Whatever anyones view on boxing is, why turn something positive into something negative?
Very positive, a girl gets a medal for fighting,and parade her in front of children,very inspirational.
[quote][p][bold]GPRD[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CHISSY1[/bold] wrote: "The kids can take inspiration from me",yes take up fighting.[/p][/quote]Or you could be positive,and give the whole quote! Whatever anyones view on boxing is, why turn something positive into something negative?[/p][/quote]Very positive, a girl gets a medal for fighting,and parade her in front of children,very inspirational. CHISSY1
  • Score: 0

7:56pm Wed 14 Nov 12

NoNewsIsGoodNews says...

CHISSY1 wrote:
GPRD wrote:
CHISSY1 wrote:
"The kids can take inspiration from me",yes take up fighting.
Or you could be positive,and give the whole quote!
Whatever anyones view on boxing is, why turn something positive into something negative?
Very positive, a girl gets a medal for fighting,and parade her in front of children,very inspirational.
Regardless of whether people like boxing or not, Nicola has trained for years in her chosen sport, then represented her country at the Olympic games and won a Gold medal.

I would say that was pretty inspirational.
[quote][p][bold]CHISSY1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GPRD[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CHISSY1[/bold] wrote: "The kids can take inspiration from me",yes take up fighting.[/p][/quote]Or you could be positive,and give the whole quote! Whatever anyones view on boxing is, why turn something positive into something negative?[/p][/quote]Very positive, a girl gets a medal for fighting,and parade her in front of children,very inspirational.[/p][/quote]Regardless of whether people like boxing or not, Nicola has trained for years in her chosen sport, then represented her country at the Olympic games and won a Gold medal. I would say that was pretty inspirational. NoNewsIsGoodNews
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree