Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
Trick-or-treater rescues woman from burning building
AN elderly woman was rescued from her burning home by a trick-or-treater.
A man who was trick-or-treating with his child ran into the bungalow in Harrogate and rescued 77-year-old Anne Kirby.
North Yorkshire Fire Service said firefighters were called to the home, which was badly damaged in the blaze, and the pensioner was taken to hospital with mild smoke inhalation.
Mrs Kirby’s son Neil, 49, said: “I think the guy saw the smoke and another lad from over the road came across. Between them they pulled my mum out.
“I’d like to thank both of them. It was lucky it was Halloween and there were people around. It could have been a lot worse.”
A North Yorkshire Fire Service spokesman said the fire is thought to have started in the kitchen.
The spokesman added: “There were smoke alarms fitted but unsure if these activated and raised the alarm as they were completely destroyed by the fire.
“The cause is being classed as accidental, possibly a chip pan left unattended.”