Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
Sparkling firework events planned
FIREWORK displays and bonfires will light up the skies over the coming days as the region celebrates Guy Fawkes night.
• On Saturday, there will be a bonfire, fireworks and food at the Poppleton Centre, due to start at 5pm.
The bonfire is due to be lit at 7pm and fireworks starting at 7.15pm. Tickets are £3 for children and £6 for adults and can be bought from the Poppleton Centre of Poppleton Post Office.
• The Marcia Inn in Bishopthorpe is holding its celebrations on Saturday with a bonfire, fireworks and food. Gates open at 6pm and tickets cost £1 for children and £2 for adults.
• On Sunday at Rawcliffe Country Park there will be a choreographed fireworks, lighting and special effects show to James Bond-themed music as well as a performance from X Factor finalist Marcus Collins and fairground rides at the Kaboom event.
It opens at 4pm with fireworks expected to start at 7.15pm. Tickets cost from £7.50 for children and £10 for adults including bus fare. For more details, visit kaboomyork.com
• Among a wide variety of events on Monday, the city’s first Gunpowder Plod and Fireworks Festival will see a bonfire night celebration complete with a firework display, a run, beer festival, fairground rides and live music from bands including Reverend and the Makers.
The family event opens at 4pm with fireworks set to music starting at 8pm.
Tickets cost £8 for children, £12 for adults and £35 for a family ticket.
For more information visit gunpowderplod.com
• At York Maze in Elvington there will be a fireworks show choreographed to music themed around the best of British, fire juggling and fire breathing and a giant bonfire.
The event opens at 4pm, with the lighting of the bonfire at 7.30pm and fireworks at 8pm on Monday.
Tickets for children cost £9.95, for adults £12.95 and are available from yorkmaze.co.uk
• Organisers of Tockwith and District Show are also hosting their fourth annual bonfire and firework display at the showfield on Cattal Moor Lane on Monday to raise funds towards next year’s summer show. Refreshments will be available.
Gates open at 6pm, the bonfire is lit at 6.30pm and fireworks start at 7pm.
• The annual village bonfire and fireworks display will be held at the Ebor Inn in Bishopthorpe from 7pm on Monday. The event will include food, tombola and a raffle. Admission is £1.50 for children and £2.50 for adults. All proceeds will go to village organisations.
• In Helmsley, a bonfire night is starting at the Sports and Social Club at 6pm on Saturday with bonfire being lit at 6.45pm and fireworks from 7pm. Adult tickets are £4 and children’s tickets £3.
• A bonfire and fireworks display is being held at Selby Community Land, Scott Road. The bonfire will be lit at 6.30pm on Saturday with firework displays at 7pm and 7.30pm. The event is free.
• The Beverley Lions firework display on the Westwood in Beverley is expected to attract more than 10,000 people. The bonfire is due to be lit at 7.15pm on Monday.
Protect your pet
The RSPCA has urged animal owners to think ahead if they have a nervous pet.
People with dogs or cats should make sure their pets have somewhere to hide indoors and close all windows and curtains.
Ignore fearful behaviour, but never show anger if they appear frightened.
Make sure pets which live outside are in soundproofed or blanket-covered areas.
Comments are closed on this article.