4,700 York marathon places are snapped up
9:20am Friday 11th January 2013 in Yorkshire Marathon news
NEARLY all of the places for York’s first marathon have been snapped up within two days, organisers have said.
Last night, more than 4,700 places from the original 5,000 had been taken, an astounding reaction to the launch of the marathon in York and surrounding villages. It is not yet clear whether further places will be released.
The October 20 event is organised by a new company under the Jane Tomlinson’s For All Events umbrella – set up as a legacy to Jane, who raised almost £2m for charity despite being diagnosed with incurable cancer.
Entries have come from across the UK, France, the Netherlands, Australia, Canada, the USA and even the Bahamas.
A Plusnet Yorkshire Marathon spokeswoman said: “We are absolutely thrilled with the response to the launch. We knew it would be popular, but even we could not anticipate entries flooding in quite as quickly as they have.
“The whole of Yorkshire and beyond has got behind the marathon – from runners, to the local authorities, the University of York, right down to shopkeepers who have pledged to help support our athletes en route.”
Runners can raise funds for any cause of their choice or one of the event’s partner charities – Martin House Children’s Hospice, Macmillan Cancer Support, Yorkshire Cancer Research, Parkinson’s UK, the Haven, Clic Sargent, Candlelighters, St Leonard’s Hospice, Sue Ryder Care and the Jane Tomlinson Appeal.
To register, visit theyorkshiremarathon.com
Comments are closed on this article.