Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
Tips for those travelling on Yorkshire’s Tour de France route
9:06am Saturday 26th January 2013 in Tour de France
NEW safety advice has been issued in case motorists encounter more cyclists than normal on the route to be taken by the Tour de France in Yorkshire later this year and next year.
Tips from organisations such as the RAC and the CTC includes, for drivers:
• When approaching a group of cyclists, sound your horn and give them time to get into single file if they are riding in pairs
• Give cyclists plenty of room and pass them at at least half a car’s width
• Respect a cyclist’s signal to keep behind
• Look out for cyclists when turning, particularly when turning left.
For cyclists, the groups’ advice includes:
• Ride in small groups and split up larger groups
• Be prepared to ride in single file as appropriate
• Wear high-visibility clothing in the dark.
Both motorists and cyclists area advised to give other road users plenty of warning before carrying out manoeuvres.