Thousands celebrate Diamond Jubilee

York Press: Kelly Bayley, Landlady of the Jubilee Pub Kelly Bayley, Landlady of the Jubilee Pub

THE DIAMOND Jubilee was celebrated in style across York and North and East Yorkshire, as street parties got into full swing.

Thousands of people raised a glass to the Queen and their own community spirit to play their part in a national celebration of the monarch’s 60 years on the throne.

The party mood was set to continue today and tomorrow, and the “best of British” attitude shone through yesterday as most of the events planned for months went ahead despite the downpours.

One of the biggest celebrations was in Jubilee Terrace in York, which was named in honour of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in 1897.

Hundreds of residents kicked off their street party on Saturday– organised by The Jubilee pub, St Barnabas Church and the Barnabas Centre.

The pub’s landlady, Kelly Bailey said: “It was an absolutely fantastic day – everybody pulled out all the stops, and when your street takes its name from a Diamond Jubilee, why not? It’s such a small area but with so many people, and some of those who have been living here for many years don’t know everybody, so to bring people together like this was brilliant.”

St Barnabas’ vicar Ursula Simpson, said: “We’re delighted people brought their friends and family along and that everybody came together to enjoy themselves, celebrate and feel a part of the community.”

Yesterday’s party in Albion Avenue, Acomb, York, saw residents recreating a picture of the street’s 1953 celebration of the Queen’s coronation.

Organiser Kate Biddlestone said: “The weather meant we had to huddle under the gazebos, but that brought everybody closer together, and the Jubilee has given us a real opportunity to build a sense of community.”

Stamford Bridge’s celebrations saw voluntary groups parade from St John’s Church to a party at the Low Catton Road playing fields, with about 1,000 people taking part.

In Wheldrake, two local children were crowned king and queen for Saturday’s Jubilee celebration, with the village hall staging the festivities.

Organiser Norman Cox said: “It started off with planning to give Jubilee mugs to schoolchildren and just grew from there – we were all amazed and it shows the importance of a wonderful celebration.”

The village of Burn, near Selby, staged its annual Big Lunch today and gave this year's event at the Wheatsheaf pub a Jubilee theme, with a crown competition, quiz, tombola, free barbecue and a photo and memorabilia exhibition. Donations have also been taken for the event's chosen charity this year, St Leonard's Hospice in York.

"We have good food, drink and lots of fun at the Big Lunch, and it proves once again what a fantastic community spirit we have in a little village," said parish council chairman Chris Phillipson, one of the organisers of the event.

In Museum Gardens in York, soldiers from the 103 Regiment Royal Artillery (V) fired a Royal Salute at noon on Saturday to mark Coronation Day, and more servicemen and women took part in celebrations in the evening, with a special concert at the Barbican Centre.

A Jubilee Wildlife Party was also held on Sunday in the Museum Gardens, while residents in Copmanthorpe, York, commemorated the Jubilee by creating signs welcoming people to the village with images selected from hundreds of items of artwork.

The local Beaver Scouts also planted a flower display including a new floral clock in the centre of the village, and youngsters from Copmanthorpe have been presented with a special coin through the projects run by the local parish council, Moxon Traffic Management and Yorkshire Wildlife Trust, as well as volunteers.

Residents in Sutton-upon-Derwent, near York, were due to plant a Great Windsor Oak, donated by the Crown Estate, as part of four days of Jubilee celebrations in the village from fancy dress parades and talent shows to cricket matches. Tonight, a Jubilee beacon is set to be lit.

Other parties staged over the weekend include those in Faber Street, in the Layerthorpe area of York, Elvington, Bishopthorpe, Heworth Cricket Club and St Clement's Church in York and in Stillington.

However, the wet weather forced the cancellation of an event at Acomb Green in York called 'The Big Picnic', organised by the churches of Acomb for the Jubilee weekend and which hundreds of people were expected to attend on Sunday.

Steve Redman, a member of the organising committee, said: "It was planned as such a big event that there was no way we could hold it in a building, but unfortunately we have had to pull the plug because of the torrential rain.

"There really is nothing you can do, but we have floated the idea of holding the event at a later date, possibly to coincide with the Olympics."

Meanwhile, a street party originally planned to be held on sunday in Heworth Hall Drive, York, has now been postponed until today because of the June downpours. It is expected to start between midday and 1pm.

In East Yorkshire, Beverley staged its own version of the royal boat pageant, with 50 vessels ranging from homemade rafts to historic barges taking to the town's beck.

Jubilee pictures
• Receive a 20 per cent discount on Diamond Jubilee celebration pictures taken from May 30 to June 5. Order online using promotional code JUBILEE12 or phone 01904 567135. Offer ends June 30.

• Don’t forget to send your Jubilee pictures and stories to newsdesk@thepress.co.uk or megi.rychlikova@thepress.co.uk or text them to 80360, starting with the keyword “York”

Comments (29)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:57pm Sun 3 Jun 12

leont says...

OK, as the headline says, 'thousands celebrate ...' Nothing wrong with that. It's the truth.
.
But can we please also have a headline saying, '*Millions* don't celebrate the jubilee'? That's also the truth, isn't it?
.
Or what about, 'Most people - by far the great majority - vote with their feet and show what they think about the jubilee by staying away from celebrations'?
.
Or, 'In spite of incessant royalist propaganda in local and national media, vast majority stay away from 'celebrations''?
.
Can we, please, get the other side? Just once?
.
Please?
OK, as the headline says, 'thousands celebrate ...' Nothing wrong with that. It's the truth. . But can we please also have a headline saying, '*Millions* don't celebrate the jubilee'? That's also the truth, isn't it? . Or what about, 'Most people - by far the great majority - vote with their feet and show what they think about the jubilee by staying away from celebrations'? . Or, 'In spite of incessant royalist propaganda in local and national media, vast majority stay away from 'celebrations''? . Can we, please, get the other side? Just once? . Please? leont

11:32pm Sun 3 Jun 12

MLewisW says...

Yeah, they say that about the Notting Hill Carnival every year, right? That's why they got rid of that, too, right? The European football tournament; many don't watch that either, right? That's why it has been cancelled this year.

Nobody forced anybody to have a party or drag you out of your cave of humbug? What do you want as a headline next? "Billions didn't die today"? "Many chose not to go out this Saturday"? News stories document what is different from the days before. Thousands celebrating for any reason is therefore news and worthy of press attention.


Despite your fleeting and poor opening rebuttal for your latterly-expressed views, you still come off as a bitter party-pooper. Enjoy something, while it still lasts.
Yeah, they say that about the Notting Hill Carnival every year, right? That's why they got rid of that, too, right? The European football tournament; many don't watch that either, right? That's why it has been cancelled this year. Nobody forced anybody to have a party or drag you out of your cave of humbug? What do you want as a headline next? "Billions didn't die today"? "Many chose not to go out this Saturday"? News stories document what is different from the days before. Thousands celebrating for any reason is therefore news and worthy of press attention. Despite your fleeting and poor opening rebuttal for your latterly-expressed views, you still come off as a bitter party-pooper. Enjoy something, while it still lasts. MLewisW

8:11am Mon 4 Jun 12

leont says...

MLewisW wrote:
Yeah, they say that about the Notting Hill Carnival every year, right? That's why they got rid of that, too, right? The European football tournament; many don't watch that either, right? That's why it has been cancelled this year.

Nobody forced anybody to have a party or drag you out of your cave of humbug? What do you want as a headline next? "Billions didn't die today"? "Many chose not to go out this Saturday"? News stories document what is different from the days before. Thousands celebrating for any reason is therefore news and worthy of press attention.


Despite your fleeting and poor opening rebuttal for your latterly-expressed views, you still come off as a bitter party-pooper. Enjoy something, while it still lasts.
OK, fair point in a way. But the Notting Hill Carnival, for instance, isn't preceded and surrounded by one-sided sycophantic propaganda is it?
.
Thanks for the assessment of my posts, btw; always good to have a critique. 'Fleeting', 'poor'. Hmm. I think 'rebuttal' isn't quite what you mean, though; something closer to 'disavowal', perhaps?
.
You can check these words in the OED online, using your York library number as a login. *There's* something we can all feel proud of, the OED. A unique and uniquely British achievement, and just the sort of thing to feel patriotic about imo. Not ... well, I guess I've said enough here about the queen.
[quote][p][bold]MLewisW[/bold] wrote: Yeah, they say that about the Notting Hill Carnival every year, right? That's why they got rid of that, too, right? The European football tournament; many don't watch that either, right? That's why it has been cancelled this year. Nobody forced anybody to have a party or drag you out of your cave of humbug? What do you want as a headline next? "Billions didn't die today"? "Many chose not to go out this Saturday"? News stories document what is different from the days before. Thousands celebrating for any reason is therefore news and worthy of press attention. Despite your fleeting and poor opening rebuttal for your latterly-expressed views, you still come off as a bitter party-pooper. Enjoy something, while it still lasts.[/p][/quote]OK, fair point in a way. But the Notting Hill Carnival, for instance, isn't preceded and surrounded by one-sided sycophantic propaganda is it? . Thanks for the assessment of my posts, btw; always good to have a critique. 'Fleeting', 'poor'. Hmm. I think 'rebuttal' isn't quite what you mean, though; something closer to 'disavowal', perhaps? . You can check these words in the OED online, using your York library number as a login. *There's* something we can all feel proud of, the OED. A unique and uniquely British achievement, and just the sort of thing to feel patriotic about imo. Not ... well, I guess I've said enough here about the queen. leont

10:01am Mon 4 Jun 12

Micklegate says...

MLewisW wrote:
Yeah, they say that about the Notting Hill Carnival every year, right? That's why they got rid of that, too, right? The European football tournament; many don't watch that either, right? That's why it has been cancelled this year.

Nobody forced anybody to have a party or drag you out of your cave of humbug? What do you want as a headline next? "Billions didn't die today"? "Many chose not to go out this Saturday"? News stories document what is different from the days before. Thousands celebrating for any reason is therefore news and worthy of press attention.


Despite your fleeting and poor opening rebuttal for your latterly-expressed views, you still come off as a bitter party-pooper. Enjoy something, while it still lasts.
Totally agree. The first comment is utter nonsense, if we should report something millions took part in by saying 'millions didn't' the news would become crazy. Every story about 'MP says.....' would become '650 MPs didn't say.......' every story about 'child has life saving transplant' would become '10 million children don't have life saving transplant'.
[quote][p][bold]MLewisW[/bold] wrote: Yeah, they say that about the Notting Hill Carnival every year, right? That's why they got rid of that, too, right? The European football tournament; many don't watch that either, right? That's why it has been cancelled this year. Nobody forced anybody to have a party or drag you out of your cave of humbug? What do you want as a headline next? "Billions didn't die today"? "Many chose not to go out this Saturday"? News stories document what is different from the days before. Thousands celebrating for any reason is therefore news and worthy of press attention. Despite your fleeting and poor opening rebuttal for your latterly-expressed views, you still come off as a bitter party-pooper. Enjoy something, while it still lasts.[/p][/quote]Totally agree. The first comment is utter nonsense, if we should report something millions took part in by saying 'millions didn't' the news would become crazy. Every story about 'MP says.....' would become '650 MPs didn't say.......' every story about 'child has life saving transplant' would become '10 million children don't have life saving transplant'. Micklegate

11:08am Mon 4 Jun 12

aa42john says...

I'm not a monarchist but I think anybody who stays in the same job for 60 years is doing bloody marvellous - esp. when it gives her absolutely no chance of promotion
I'm not a monarchist but I think anybody who stays in the same job for 60 years is doing bloody marvellous - esp. when it gives her absolutely no chance of promotion aa42john

12:50pm Mon 4 Jun 12

mattyrm says...

leont wrote:
OK, as the headline says, 'thousands celebrate ...' Nothing wrong with that. It's the truth.
.
But can we please also have a headline saying, '*Millions* don't celebrate the jubilee'? That's also the truth, isn't it?
.
Or what about, 'Most people - by far the great majority - vote with their feet and show what they think about the jubilee by staying away from celebrations'?
.
Or, 'In spite of incessant royalist propaganda in local and national media, vast majority stay away from 'celebrations''?
.
Can we, please, get the other side? Just once?
.
Please?
Absolute nonsense.

Can we please have some facts? Just once? Please?

I present you with this. From the left leaning, Republican friendly The Guardian, dated May 24th 2012.

http://www.guardian.
co.uk/uk/2012/may/24
/queen-diamond-jubil
ee-record-support

"As the Queen prepares to celebrate her diamond jubilee, the royal family is enjoying record popularity.

Britain would be worse off without the monarchy say 69% of respondents, while of 22% say the country would be better off. This 47-point royalist margin is the largest chalked up on any of the 12 occasions since 1997 on which ICM has previously asked the question.

Pro-royal feeling is spread remarkably equally among the social classes, and across the regions of England and Wales. It is less marked in Scotland – where 36% say the country would be better off without the Windsors – but even there a solid 50% feel the opposite way. Support is stronger among the older, and especially among Conservative voters, in whose ranks it reaches 82%. But across every age group and among Labour and Liberal Democrat supporters alike, the monarchy is enjoying solid support"

In a nutshell, you and your bitter, jealous ilk make up 18% of the population. I am a working class man, I didn't go to a street party, and I don't care too much about the Royals, but the Queen is a charming and hard working old lady, and your comments are not only needlessly spiteful, they are utterly at odds with the facts.

69% of Britains support the Royal Family, and we live in a democracy. So try to stop complaining and go outside and be happy like the overwhelming majority of your countrymen!
[quote][p][bold]leont[/bold] wrote: OK, as the headline says, 'thousands celebrate ...' Nothing wrong with that. It's the truth. . But can we please also have a headline saying, '*Millions* don't celebrate the jubilee'? That's also the truth, isn't it? . Or what about, 'Most people - by far the great majority - vote with their feet and show what they think about the jubilee by staying away from celebrations'? . Or, 'In spite of incessant royalist propaganda in local and national media, vast majority stay away from 'celebrations''? . Can we, please, get the other side? Just once? . Please?[/p][/quote]Absolute nonsense. Can we please have some facts? Just once? Please? I present you with this. From the left leaning, Republican friendly The Guardian, dated May 24th 2012. http://www.guardian. co.uk/uk/2012/may/24 /queen-diamond-jubil ee-record-support "As the Queen prepares to celebrate her diamond jubilee, the royal family is enjoying record popularity. Britain would be worse off without the monarchy say 69% of respondents, while of 22% say the country would be better off. This 47-point royalist margin is the largest chalked up on any of the 12 occasions since 1997 on which ICM has previously asked the question. Pro-royal feeling is spread remarkably equally among the social classes, and across the regions of England and Wales. It is less marked in Scotland – where 36% say the country would be better off without the Windsors – but even there a solid 50% feel the opposite way. Support is stronger among the older, and especially among Conservative voters, in whose ranks it reaches 82%. But across every age group and among Labour and Liberal Democrat supporters alike, the monarchy is enjoying solid support" In a nutshell, you and your bitter, jealous ilk make up 18% of the population. I am a working class man, I didn't go to a street party, and I don't care too much about the Royals, but the Queen is a charming and hard working old lady, and your comments are not only needlessly spiteful, they are utterly at odds with the facts. 69% of Britains support the Royal Family, and we live in a democracy. So try to stop complaining and go outside and be happy like the overwhelming majority of your countrymen! mattyrm

2:35pm Mon 4 Jun 12

GoodDoc says...

Leont, the celebrations are no more trying to make us support the queen than Match of the Day is trying to make us like football. I've seen factual and dsecriptive (albeit monotonous) reporting and not once have I heard the argument that we desperately need a queen or how she is fundamental to our wellbeing. That's not the point. There are no opinions being forced down anyone's neck and if you don't appreciate the pomp and circumstance, fine - steer clear. Many of us aren't royalists per se, but rather than beating our drum demanding attention, we're content to let others enjoy celebrating what they like. Shows how mollycoddled we are when people call this kind of thing propaganda!
.
Honestly! Students these days!
Leont, the celebrations are no more trying to make us support the queen than Match of the Day is trying to make us like football. I've seen factual and dsecriptive (albeit monotonous) reporting and not once have I heard the argument that we desperately need a queen or how she is fundamental to our wellbeing. That's not the point. There are no opinions being forced down anyone's neck and if you don't appreciate the pomp and circumstance, fine - steer clear. Many of us aren't royalists per se, but rather than beating our drum demanding attention, we're content to let others enjoy celebrating what they like. Shows how mollycoddled we are when people call this kind of thing propaganda! . Honestly! Students these days! GoodDoc

5:05pm Mon 4 Jun 12

Mentos says...

You are wrong mattyrm in writing "... and we live in a democracy."

Not a true democracy where you can not elect your Head of State.
You are wrong mattyrm in writing "... and we live in a democracy." Not a true democracy where you can not elect your Head of State. Mentos

5:05pm Mon 4 Jun 12

Caecilius says...

GoodDoc wrote:
Leont, the celebrations are no more trying to make us support the queen than Match of the Day is trying to make us like football. I've seen factual and dsecriptive (albeit monotonous) reporting and not once have I heard the argument that we desperately need a queen or how she is fundamental to our wellbeing. That's not the point. There are no opinions being forced down anyone's neck and if you don't appreciate the pomp and circumstance, fine - steer clear. Many of us aren't royalists per se, but rather than beating our drum demanding attention, we're content to let others enjoy celebrating what they like. Shows how mollycoddled we are when people call this kind of thing propaganda! . Honestly! Students these days!
Sorry but it actually shows how easily manipulated we are when the majority of people don't even recognise that they're being fed propaganda. No, you haven't heard "the argument that we desperately need a queen or how she is fundamental to our wellbeing" (apart from the oft-repeated but unsubstantiated claim that an astronomical number of foreign visitors only come to spend their money here because we have a monarchy). Clearly, it would be rather difficult to produce convincing evidence to back up that argument. Instead, the media relentlessly hammers home the pro-establishment message by insinuation. "Everyone" wants to take part in the pantomime. It's "patriotic" to attend a street party. The Queen "deserves" our respect. The implied message being that those who couldn't care less about it and who think that millions of ordinary citizens of this country lead lives more deserving of respect than the Windsors', are asocial, unpatriotic and yobbish.

If anyone's beating a drum and demanding attention, it's the pro-royal lobby. And a large proportion of the people who appear to be "on message" would wave their plastic flags and cheer just as enthusiastically if their favourite newspaper/celebrity kept telling them that "everyone" was going to turn out to show their reverence for Posh and Becks, or the winner of "The Apprentice". As the same people will no doubt demonstrate during this year's glorified sports day in London, which is being similarly hyped by the media. And why? Because, if their attention is distracted by the empty waffle and the meaningless cavorting in the arena, they won't be getting angry about the way in which the establishment is systematically driving down everyone else's living standards to protect our privileged, greedy and incompetent elite from the consequences of the economic meltdown that they're largely responsible for.
[quote][p][bold]GoodDoc[/bold] wrote: Leont, the celebrations are no more trying to make us support the queen than Match of the Day is trying to make us like football. I've seen factual and dsecriptive (albeit monotonous) reporting and not once have I heard the argument that we desperately need a queen or how she is fundamental to our wellbeing. That's not the point. There are no opinions being forced down anyone's neck and if you don't appreciate the pomp and circumstance, fine - steer clear. Many of us aren't royalists per se, but rather than beating our drum demanding attention, we're content to let others enjoy celebrating what they like. Shows how mollycoddled we are when people call this kind of thing propaganda! . Honestly! Students these days![/p][/quote]Sorry but it actually shows how easily manipulated we are when the majority of people don't even recognise that they're being fed propaganda. No, you haven't heard "the argument that we desperately need a queen or how she is fundamental to our wellbeing" (apart from the oft-repeated but unsubstantiated claim that an astronomical number of foreign visitors only come to spend their money here because we have a monarchy). Clearly, it would be rather difficult to produce convincing evidence to back up that argument. Instead, the media relentlessly hammers home the pro-establishment message by insinuation. "Everyone" wants to take part in the pantomime. It's "patriotic" to attend a street party. The Queen "deserves" our respect. The implied message being that those who couldn't care less about it and who think that millions of ordinary citizens of this country lead lives more deserving of respect than the Windsors', are asocial, unpatriotic and yobbish. If anyone's beating a drum and demanding attention, it's the pro-royal lobby. And a large proportion of the people who appear to be "on message" would wave their plastic flags and cheer just as enthusiastically if their favourite newspaper/celebrity kept telling them that "everyone" was going to turn out to show their reverence for Posh and Becks, or the winner of "The Apprentice". As the same people will no doubt demonstrate during this year's glorified sports day in London, which is being similarly hyped by the media. And why? Because, if their attention is distracted by the empty waffle and the meaningless cavorting in the arena, they won't be getting angry about the way in which the establishment is systematically driving down everyone else's living standards to protect our privileged, greedy and incompetent elite from the consequences of the economic meltdown that they're largely responsible for. Caecilius

7:03pm Mon 4 Jun 12

GoodDoc says...

Totally disagree. There is a vast difference between contrived political propaganda and the media coverage of the jubilee. Looking at the kind of propaganda produced by dictatorships and regimes worldwide, the comparison looks a bit daft. Either you're reading some mental publications, or you're exaggerating. Who said that everyone wants to take part? And why is it unreasonable to suggest that celebrating an anniversary of the head of state is not one way that you can be patriotic? Your comment about being asocial, unpatriotic and yobbish shows a certain persecution complex because I, along with most people who aren't taking part, feel no such thing. Don't be so sensitive! I feel far more pressure being part of World Cup events, and like you I suspect the same will be the same with Olympics. That does_not make it propaganda! That makes it a matter of taste.
.
If this was happening week-in week-out, you may have a point. If every week the news was full of news on the Royal family, OK. But it's not, thank goodness. This is a mercifully non-political event, and we're very lucky to have a monarchy that we can say that about. With so much doom and gloom, these kind of one-off occasions help to balance things. If you don't fancy another opportunity to meet with your street and have a knees-up on the tarmac, no probs. As others have said, if this isn't your cup of tea, fine... how free-thinking of you to see through the sinister mind-games of our corrupt institutions. But please, let those not so enlightened have a bit of a laugh! Don't worry, it'll all be over soon and we can get back to wallowing in the economic meltdown.
Totally disagree. There is a vast difference between contrived political propaganda and the media coverage of the jubilee. Looking at the kind of propaganda produced by dictatorships and regimes worldwide, the comparison looks a bit daft. Either you're reading some mental publications, or you're exaggerating. Who said that everyone wants to take part? And why is it unreasonable to suggest that celebrating an anniversary of the head of state is not one way that you can be patriotic? Your comment about being asocial, unpatriotic and yobbish shows a certain persecution complex because I, along with most people who aren't taking part, feel no such thing. Don't be so sensitive! I feel far more pressure being part of World Cup events, and like you I suspect the same will be the same with Olympics. That does_not make it propaganda! That makes it a matter of taste. . If this was happening week-in week-out, you may have a point. If every week the news was full of news on the Royal family, OK. But it's not, thank goodness. This is a mercifully non-political event, and we're very lucky to have a monarchy that we can say that about. With so much doom and gloom, these kind of one-off occasions help to balance things. If you don't fancy another opportunity to meet with your street and have a knees-up on the tarmac, no probs. As others have said, if this isn't your cup of tea, fine... how free-thinking of you to see through the sinister mind-games of our corrupt institutions. But please, let those not so enlightened have a bit of a laugh! Don't worry, it'll all be over soon and we can get back to wallowing in the economic meltdown. GoodDoc

7:54pm Mon 4 Jun 12

RingoStarr says...

GoodDoc wrote:
Totally disagree. There is a vast difference between contrived political propaganda and the media coverage of the jubilee. Looking at the kind of propaganda produced by dictatorships and regimes worldwide, the comparison looks a bit daft. Either you're reading some mental publications, or you're exaggerating. Who said that everyone wants to take part? And why is it unreasonable to suggest that celebrating an anniversary of the head of state is not one way that you can be patriotic? Your comment about being asocial, unpatriotic and yobbish shows a certain persecution complex because I, along with most people who aren't taking part, feel no such thing. Don't be so sensitive! I feel far more pressure being part of World Cup events, and like you I suspect the same will be the same with Olympics. That does_not make it propaganda! That makes it a matter of taste.
.
If this was happening week-in week-out, you may have a point. If every week the news was full of news on the Royal family, OK. But it's not, thank goodness. This is a mercifully non-political event, and we're very lucky to have a monarchy that we can say that about. With so much doom and gloom, these kind of one-off occasions help to balance things. If you don't fancy another opportunity to meet with your street and have a knees-up on the tarmac, no probs. As others have said, if this isn't your cup of tea, fine... how free-thinking of you to see through the sinister mind-games of our corrupt institutions. But please, let those not so enlightened have a bit of a laugh! Don't worry, it'll all be over soon and we can get back to wallowing in the economic meltdown.
BRILLIANT! SPOT ON!
[quote][p][bold]GoodDoc[/bold] wrote: Totally disagree. There is a vast difference between contrived political propaganda and the media coverage of the jubilee. Looking at the kind of propaganda produced by dictatorships and regimes worldwide, the comparison looks a bit daft. Either you're reading some mental publications, or you're exaggerating. Who said that everyone wants to take part? And why is it unreasonable to suggest that celebrating an anniversary of the head of state is not one way that you can be patriotic? Your comment about being asocial, unpatriotic and yobbish shows a certain persecution complex because I, along with most people who aren't taking part, feel no such thing. Don't be so sensitive! I feel far more pressure being part of World Cup events, and like you I suspect the same will be the same with Olympics. That does_not make it propaganda! That makes it a matter of taste. . If this was happening week-in week-out, you may have a point. If every week the news was full of news on the Royal family, OK. But it's not, thank goodness. This is a mercifully non-political event, and we're very lucky to have a monarchy that we can say that about. With so much doom and gloom, these kind of one-off occasions help to balance things. If you don't fancy another opportunity to meet with your street and have a knees-up on the tarmac, no probs. As others have said, if this isn't your cup of tea, fine... how free-thinking of you to see through the sinister mind-games of our corrupt institutions. But please, let those not so enlightened have a bit of a laugh! Don't worry, it'll all be over soon and we can get back to wallowing in the economic meltdown.[/p][/quote]BRILLIANT! SPOT ON! RingoStarr

8:20pm Mon 4 Jun 12

MrChuckles says...

As much as it's nothing personal, I have never seen so many people passive of the Royals in my life time. They are outdated and this celebration is simply celebrating what is great about Britian? Isn't it? Fair enough then... we are all celebrating inequality (simple). Someone who has been in a job for 60 years, for the simple fact that nobody has a say in it! A modern day birth lottery into a position of authority is outdated and Medieval. A position of influence and prestige should come as a result of merit.
The back-back coverage of the BBC, along with the blatant bias furthered with a non-present acknowledgement of counter views upon the monarchy, within a "historic" time is simply a bald testament to the propaganda of which is rammed down our throats, yet heavily disguised. Please if you disagree try and view this event objectively.
Yesterday I spent the majority of the day praying the Queen would decide the royal flotilla should change route and carry on accross the channel to fire some warning shots on the continent (would have made it more interesting, yet despite that wishful thinking, I took some time to discuss my view on the monarchy. I was quickly told " you are reading into it all too much" that is a fair enough argument, however I do beleive that this is the very attitude that has kept them in such a cushty number for so long.
It must also be noted in the dark times of a recession, David Cameron has told us all so many times over and over again... minions "We are all in this together". Are we really? surely the expense of the new fancy boat should be downgraded to a fancy pedalo! I also anticipate the point being put forward "well the 'boat thing' was funded by private doners!" It was indeed, so where are those private donations when the NHS is on it's knees, surely a priortie saving lives etc (Lord Moneybags sounds, better than Mr Moneybags doesn't it) any surprise the Conservatives in the polls seem to suddenly love the monarchy!
But on the other hand, any excuse for a **** up aye guys? Double Bank Holiday? Lets not gift rap the real reason so many people are out on the streets with a pint in hand press.
I am also cautious and open minded about the Monarchy. One question that often makes me rethink my view is the idea "do you really want the role of Britain’s head of state to pass to a politician?". It's very debatable, however the influence of the Royals appears to have dropped dramatically (imo). Apart from waving, showing face and opening the local co-op, it's easy to assume influence has dropped! If I could have a meet and greet with the Queen or someone of real inspiration such as David Attenborough or (if you are Scottish) Billy Connolly, it's an easy choice!
Again, I must stress my view is nothing personal. I'm more than confident in saying our Royals are lovely people, the charity work etc and helping to promote naff sports such as horse racing is great, but I bet after the second pint many would confess to not giving a second thought to our Royals. Maybe it's just me, a bitter, angry, Yorkshire man... so non the less enjoy your day people and to second the last posts sentiments, it will soon be over and unlike the Royals we can get back to wallowing in the economic meltdown and for the next 60 years, the peasants are yet to revolt.
As much as it's nothing personal, I have never seen so many people passive of the Royals in my life time. They are outdated and this celebration is simply celebrating what is great about Britian? Isn't it? Fair enough then... we are all celebrating inequality (simple). Someone who has been in a job for 60 years, for the simple fact that nobody has a say in it! A modern day birth lottery into a position of authority is outdated and Medieval. A position of influence and prestige should come as a result of merit. The back-back coverage of the BBC, along with the blatant bias furthered with a non-present acknowledgement of counter views upon the monarchy, within a "historic" time is simply a bald testament to the propaganda of which is rammed down our throats, yet heavily disguised. Please if you disagree try and view this event objectively. Yesterday I spent the majority of the day praying the Queen would decide the royal flotilla should change route and carry on accross the channel to fire some warning shots on the continent (would have made it more interesting, yet despite that wishful thinking, I took some time to discuss my view on the monarchy. I was quickly told " you are reading into it all too much" that is a fair enough argument, however I do beleive that this is the very attitude that has kept them in such a cushty number for so long. It must also be noted in the dark times of a recession, David Cameron has told us all so many times over and over again... minions "We are all in this together". Are we really? surely the expense of the new fancy boat should be downgraded to a fancy pedalo! I also anticipate the point being put forward "well the 'boat thing' was funded by private doners!" It was indeed, so where are those private donations when the NHS is on it's knees, surely a priortie saving lives etc (Lord Moneybags sounds, better than Mr Moneybags doesn't it) any surprise the Conservatives in the polls seem to suddenly love the monarchy! But on the other hand, any excuse for a **** up aye guys? Double Bank Holiday? Lets not gift rap the real reason so many people are out on the streets with a pint in hand press. I am also cautious and open minded about the Monarchy. One question that often makes me rethink my view is the idea "do you really want the role of Britain’s head of state to pass to a politician?". It's very debatable, however the influence of the Royals appears to have dropped dramatically (imo). Apart from waving, showing face and opening the local co-op, it's easy to assume influence has dropped! If I could have a meet and greet with the Queen or someone of real inspiration such as David Attenborough or (if you are Scottish) Billy Connolly, it's an easy choice! Again, I must stress my view is nothing personal. I'm more than confident in saying our Royals are lovely people, the charity work etc and helping to promote naff sports such as horse racing is great, but I bet after the second pint many would confess to not giving a second thought to our Royals. Maybe it's just me, a bitter, angry, Yorkshire man... so non the less enjoy your day people and to second the last posts sentiments, it will soon be over and unlike the Royals we can get back to wallowing in the economic meltdown and for the next 60 years, the peasants are yet to revolt. MrChuckles

8:29pm Mon 4 Jun 12

MrChuckles says...

My point maybe came accross one sided haha. When compared with other countries, I do see the Royals as an assett, and the tradition, history etc is great in some aspects. It's certainly an interesting debate and one I enjoy reading about.
My point maybe came accross one sided haha. When compared with other countries, I do see the Royals as an assett, and the tradition, history etc is great in some aspects. It's certainly an interesting debate and one I enjoy reading about. MrChuckles

9:33pm Mon 4 Jun 12

Even AndyD says...

For goodness sake, live and let live. If people want to enjoy the pageant of it all, let them. Its a big world out there, people like different things, get over it Good Doc!
For goodness sake, live and let live. If people want to enjoy the pageant of it all, let them. Its a big world out there, people like different things, get over it Good Doc! Even AndyD

8:44am Tue 5 Jun 12

leont says...

A fact:
.
A large majority of respondents to this York newspaper's poll about celebrating the jubilee said that no, they wouldn't be celebrating it. The newspaper quickly took down the poll and didn't mention the results.
.
Is that worth reporting? Given other statistics bandied around about support for the monarchy etc., I'd have thought so.
.
I'm happy that a majority of my fellow citizens feel in some way the same as me. I don't feel bitter or jealous about the rest. It's interesting how opposition seems to have to take the view that I must be, however.
.
One last thing. If the justification for the monarchy is that most people support it, why not establish a vote for/against it? I'd sign up to that. And I'd promise not to be bitter, or jealous, if the vote went against me and in favour of the queen. Could we agree to that? Why not, all you royalists? Come on, let's be democratic. That's all.
A fact: . A large majority of respondents to this York newspaper's poll about celebrating the jubilee said that no, they wouldn't be celebrating it. The newspaper quickly took down the poll and didn't mention the results. . Is that worth reporting? Given other statistics bandied around about support for the monarchy etc., I'd have thought so. . I'm happy that a majority of my fellow citizens feel in some way the same as me. I don't feel bitter or jealous about the rest. It's interesting how opposition seems to have to take the view that I must be, however. . One last thing. If the justification for the monarchy is that most people support it, why not establish a vote for/against it? I'd sign up to that. And I'd promise not to be bitter, or jealous, if the vote went against me and in favour of the queen. Could we agree to that? Why not, all you royalists? Come on, let's be democratic. That's all. leont

8:48am Tue 5 Jun 12

TheTruthHurts says...

If I could have a meet and greet with the Queen or someone of real inspiration such as David Attenborough or (if you are Scottish) Billy Connolly, it's an easy choice!

'
Yeah it is... The Queen. I have a lot of respect for the other two. But didnt Billy Connolly walk off stage in a huff the other week. The Queen wouldnt do that.
[quote] If I could have a meet and greet with the Queen or someone of real inspiration such as David Attenborough or (if you are Scottish) Billy Connolly, it's an easy choice! [/quote] ' Yeah it is... The Queen. I have a lot of respect for the other two. But didnt Billy Connolly walk off stage in a huff the other week. The Queen wouldnt do that. TheTruthHurts

11:00am Tue 5 Jun 12

ReginaldBiscuit says...

Some interesting views on here and yes, where on earth did that poll on the Jubilee disappear to? Then again, freedom-of-speech is now a heavily edited thing in this country where individuals can be and are sent to prison for expressing a ridiculous opinion (usually on the back of public outrage).

It is ridiculous that some individuals lead exceptional lives of quality but it is also outrageous that large chunks of earth's population go without eating everyday whilst western fatties in the US and UK eat their way through each day by consuming waves of unhealthy calories. My point is simple. Apes aren't sophisticated enough to be sophisticated and as such, there are appalling differences in the quality of human life. Don't feel bitter about it or get angry. This is what apes are.

I have nothing against the Queen or Royals and their existence as an anachronistic sideshow. It doesn't bother me in the slightest and doesn't really interest me. What is sick is how it was celebrated. In this era, people love to wallow in grief or celebration so what I've seen on the news over the past few days shouldn't really be a surprise. It exposes many failures in the human race.

Speaking of failings, the social unrest, economic gloom and austerity in Europe today mirrors one of the greatest crises in British history - the decline of the Roman Empire.
Like that era, there is economic gloom across the continent and multiple crises in the currency zone. There is also rising unemployment and inflation. There are riots in the streets with forecasts of anarchy in some parts of western Europe.

There is much discontent there is a worrying rise of radical groups and populist right wing movements. Groups like the SNP are pushing for independence and for the break up of the whole European order under which we have all lived secure and comfortable for so long.

The optimist in me sees nothing to celebrate. The pessimist however, sees every reason to worry greatly. Global capitalism is broken and the chief apes are divided and unclear as what to do to fix the problem.

Interesting times ahead for all.
Some interesting views on here and yes, where on earth did that poll on the Jubilee disappear to? Then again, freedom-of-speech is now a heavily edited thing in this country where individuals can be and are sent to prison for expressing a ridiculous opinion (usually on the back of public outrage). It is ridiculous that some individuals lead exceptional lives of quality but it is also outrageous that large chunks of earth's population go without eating everyday whilst western fatties in the US and UK eat their way through each day by consuming waves of unhealthy calories. My point is simple. Apes aren't sophisticated enough to be sophisticated and as such, there are appalling differences in the quality of human life. Don't feel bitter about it or get angry. This is what apes are. I have nothing against the Queen or Royals and their existence as an anachronistic sideshow. It doesn't bother me in the slightest and doesn't really interest me. What is sick is how it was celebrated. In this era, people love to wallow in grief or celebration so what I've seen on the news over the past few days shouldn't really be a surprise. It exposes many failures in the human race. Speaking of failings, the social unrest, economic gloom and austerity in Europe today mirrors one of the greatest crises in British history - the decline of the Roman Empire. Like that era, there is economic gloom across the continent and multiple crises in the currency zone. There is also rising unemployment and inflation. There are riots in the streets with forecasts of anarchy in some parts of western Europe. There is much discontent there is a worrying rise of radical groups and populist right wing movements. Groups like the SNP are pushing for independence and for the break up of the whole European order under which we have all lived secure and comfortable for so long. The optimist in me sees nothing to celebrate. The pessimist however, sees every reason to worry greatly. Global capitalism is broken and the chief apes are divided and unclear as what to do to fix the problem. Interesting times ahead for all. ReginaldBiscuit

11:16am Tue 5 Jun 12

GoodDoc says...

Even AndyD wrote:
For goodness sake, live and let live. If people want to enjoy the pageant of it all, let them. Its a big world out there, people like different things, get over it Good Doc!
'Even AndyD', check your fire. Have a quick skim of the thread - you're arguing precisely my point! I think you're aiming at someone else there.
.
Leont. I see there's a bit of conspiracy-theorist about you! The fact that The Press haven't reported on one of their daily, online straw-polls does not mean they are censoring the results, involved in a cover-up or are fervent royalists. I've never seen them report on their own polls, because despite you interpreting it as a solid gauge of how your fellow citizens feel, most people would see it as quick bit of fun, polling a tiny fraction of the already tiny fraction of York that use the site.
.
As regards a vote for the monarchy or republicanism, a meaningful referendum would be a little more complicated. In the meantime, the most recent polls (such as MORI) seem to suggest that thanks to the jubilee and Kate etc, support for the royals has never been higher. I'd hope that whether we agree on the monarchy or not, we can all allow those that do celebrate something that clearly means a lot to them.
[quote][p][bold]Even AndyD[/bold] wrote: For goodness sake, live and let live. If people want to enjoy the pageant of it all, let them. Its a big world out there, people like different things, get over it Good Doc![/p][/quote]'Even AndyD', check your fire. Have a quick skim of the thread - you're arguing precisely my point! I think you're aiming at someone else there. . Leont. I see there's a bit of conspiracy-theorist about you! The fact that The Press haven't reported on one of their daily, online straw-polls does not mean they are censoring the results, involved in a cover-up or are fervent royalists. I've never seen them report on their own polls, because despite you interpreting it as a solid gauge of how your fellow citizens feel, most people would see it as quick bit of fun, polling a tiny fraction of the already tiny fraction of York that use the site. . As regards a vote for the monarchy or republicanism, a meaningful referendum would be a little more complicated. In the meantime, the most recent polls (such as MORI) seem to suggest that thanks to the jubilee and Kate etc, support for the royals has never been higher. I'd hope that whether we agree on the monarchy or not, we can all allow those that do celebrate something that clearly means a lot to them. GoodDoc

11:21am Tue 5 Jun 12

GoodDoc says...

PS: Shock-Horror! The Press' poll on who was attending RailFest has ALSO disappeared completely! No follow-up, no key article on the results. Another appalling breach of our freedom of speech? Evil censorship strikes again? Heh.
PS: Shock-Horror! The Press' poll on who was attending RailFest has ALSO disappeared completely! No follow-up, no key article on the results. Another appalling breach of our freedom of speech? Evil censorship strikes again? Heh. GoodDoc

5:33pm Tue 5 Jun 12

Even AndyD says...

Sorry Good Doc my apologies - skim reading is quite right. Agree with every word you say. *blush*
Sorry Good Doc my apologies - skim reading is quite right. Agree with every word you say. *blush* Even AndyD

10:19pm Tue 5 Jun 12

piaggio1 says...

god i hate republicans.
don,t like it ! go live. breed somewhere else............like ireland.(the republic bit ),or the east end of glasgow.read OUR history.the deal was done between parliament and the king.keep wearin yer green n white scarve,s somewhere else utter utter scum,
god i hate republicans. don,t like it ! go live. breed somewhere else............like ireland.(the republic bit ),or the east end of glasgow.read OUR history.the deal was done between parliament and the king.keep wearin yer green n white scarve,s somewhere else utter utter scum, piaggio1

11:29pm Tue 5 Jun 12

Mentos says...

piaggio1 wrote:
god i hate republicans. don,t like it ! go live. breed somewhere else............like ireland.(the republic bit ),or the east end of glasgow.read OUR history.the deal was done between parliament and the king.keep wearin yer green n white scarve,s somewhere else utter utter scum,
For someone who is such an advocate of English history pity you slaughter the language. Do make an effort, it would mean that people who do not agree with your views at least give them fair play.
[quote][p][bold]piaggio1[/bold] wrote: god i hate republicans. don,t like it ! go live. breed somewhere else............like ireland.(the republic bit ),or the east end of glasgow.read OUR history.the deal was done between parliament and the king.keep wearin yer green n white scarve,s somewhere else utter utter scum,[/p][/quote]For someone who is such an advocate of English history pity you slaughter the language. Do make an effort, it would mean that people who do not agree with your views at least give them fair play. Mentos

9:00am Wed 6 Jun 12

NoMorePlease says...

piaggio. learn the difference between loyalty to the land of your birth or adoption, that is patriotism and blind devotion to an undemocratic system where the Head of State is not elected.
piaggio. learn the difference between loyalty to the land of your birth or adoption, that is patriotism and blind devotion to an undemocratic system where the Head of State is not elected. NoMorePlease

9:38am Wed 6 Jun 12

Kevin Turvey says...

‘leont says... 6:57pm Sun 3 Jun 12
OK, as the headline says, 'thousands celebrate ...' Nothing wrong with that. It's the truth.
.
But can we please also have a headline saying, '*Millions* don't celebrate the jubilee'? That's also the truth, isn't it?
.
Or what about, 'Most people - by far the great majority - vote with their feet and show what they think about the jubilee by staying away from celebrations'?
.
Or, 'In spite of incessant royalist propaganda in local and national media, vast majority stay away from 'celebrations''?
.
Can we, please, get the other side? Just once?
.
Please?’

Spot on!
I can’t believe that the press propaganda censor has not already removed this excellent and representative of the vast majority post.

I although as a committed Republican I enjoyed my extra day off!

I also wondered what other press releases were dumped out under the radar for bad news that was not picked up. I suspect that the government dumped lots of bad news out on friday knowing that not of it would be used.


‘NoMorePlease says... 9:00am Wed 6 Jun 12
piaggio. learn the difference between loyalty to the land of your birth or adoption, that is patriotism and blind devotion to an undemocratic system where the Head of State is not elected.’


Another spot on point well made post!

Far too many ignorant sheep in this country that cannot see they are being played/controlled by a system that they have no power to change and that includes so called ‘democracy’, a system specifically designed to keep the status quo just as it is, by people thinking they have a say but in reality you have no say or power!
‘leont says... 6:57pm Sun 3 Jun 12 OK, as the headline says, 'thousands celebrate ...' Nothing wrong with that. It's the truth. . But can we please also have a headline saying, '*Millions* don't celebrate the jubilee'? That's also the truth, isn't it? . Or what about, 'Most people - by far the great majority - vote with their feet and show what they think about the jubilee by staying away from celebrations'? . Or, 'In spite of incessant royalist propaganda in local and national media, vast majority stay away from 'celebrations''? . Can we, please, get the other side? Just once? . Please?’ Spot on! I can’t believe that the press propaganda censor has not already removed this excellent and representative of the vast majority post. I although as a committed Republican I enjoyed my extra day off! I also wondered what other press releases were dumped out under the radar for bad news that was not picked up. I suspect that the government dumped lots of bad news out on friday knowing that not of it would be used. ‘NoMorePlease says... 9:00am Wed 6 Jun 12 piaggio. learn the difference between loyalty to the land of your birth or adoption, that is patriotism and blind devotion to an undemocratic system where the Head of State is not elected.’ Another spot on point well made post! Far too many ignorant sheep in this country that cannot see they are being played/controlled by a system that they have no power to change and that includes so called ‘democracy’, a system specifically designed to keep the status quo just as it is, by people thinking they have a say but in reality you have no say or power! Kevin Turvey

10:43am Wed 6 Jun 12

MLewisW says...

Reginald biscuit, please don't so precisely steal the analogies of Michael Wood. http://www.bbc.co.uk
/news/magazine-18159
752
Reginald biscuit, please don't so precisely steal the analogies of Michael Wood. http://www.bbc.co.uk /news/magazine-18159 752 MLewisW

11:12am Wed 6 Jun 12

Dennis.Dart says...

I would have loved to have been able to join in the partys but I had to work every day of this so called bank holiday weekend, and the so called two bank holidays,
but that is not what anoyed me the most, what really anoyed me is that York council have done NOTHING at all. there was no flags / bunting at all in York city centre, however some where as small as tadcaster was covered in flags any bunting. shame on you CyC it is the same at christmas a few silly little trees here and there, is all we get, yet a small place like malton / norton gets the works !!!! CyC you are pathetic
I would have loved to have been able to join in the partys but I had to work every day of this so called bank holiday weekend, and the so called two bank holidays, but that is not what anoyed me the most, what really anoyed me is that York council have done NOTHING at all. there was no flags / bunting at all in York city centre, however some where as small as tadcaster was covered in flags any bunting. shame on you CyC it is the same at christmas a few silly little trees here and there, is all we get, yet a small place like malton / norton gets the works !!!! CyC you are pathetic Dennis.Dart

10:53pm Tue 12 Jun 12

MouseHouse says...

We cannot have a vote to decide whether to keep the queen or not. We MUST have a vote whether or not to maintain the monarchy. Some day Mrs Windsor will die and we'll be lumbered with Charles (who would be named a king). The point is we can't include personalities or individuals - we should have a simple yes / no referendum with a question along the lines of "Do you wish to maintain the current unelected monarchist system?"

I'd vote no, and the monarchists will get a **** big shock when the vote is counted.

Republic Please.
We cannot have a vote to decide whether to keep the queen or not. We MUST have a vote whether or not to maintain the monarchy. Some day Mrs Windsor will die and we'll be lumbered with Charles (who would be named a king). The point is we can't include personalities or individuals - we should have a simple yes / no referendum with a question along the lines of "Do you wish to maintain the current unelected monarchist system?" I'd vote no, and the monarchists will get a **** big shock when the vote is counted. Republic Please. MouseHouse

1:08pm Wed 13 Jun 12

stevep6 says...

MouseHouse wrote:
We cannot have a vote to decide whether to keep the queen or not. We MUST have a vote whether or not to maintain the monarchy. Some day Mrs Windsor will die and we'll be lumbered with Charles (who would be named a king). The point is we can't include personalities or individuals - we should have a simple yes / no referendum with a question along the lines of "Do you wish to maintain the current unelected monarchist system?"

I'd vote no, and the monarchists will get a **** big shock when the vote is counted.

Republic Please.
And how exactly would this make ANY difference what so ever to the country?

Would it save any money? In my opinion no. It would lumber us with a President with a huge entourage, a four/five year election, and costs which would probably outstrip the money spent on the royals.

Would a President do anything useful? Not at all, just get fat on our taxes wandering the world being ignored by almost all nations. At least the Queen is welcomed widely and internationally recognised.

I could go on, but it is all well and good demanding a republic but what difference would it make other than give you something and someone else to moan about?
[quote][p][bold]MouseHouse[/bold] wrote: We cannot have a vote to decide whether to keep the queen or not. We MUST have a vote whether or not to maintain the monarchy. Some day Mrs Windsor will die and we'll be lumbered with Charles (who would be named a king). The point is we can't include personalities or individuals - we should have a simple yes / no referendum with a question along the lines of "Do you wish to maintain the current unelected monarchist system?" I'd vote no, and the monarchists will get a **** big shock when the vote is counted. Republic Please.[/p][/quote]And how exactly would this make ANY difference what so ever to the country? Would it save any money? In my opinion no. It would lumber us with a President with a huge entourage, a four/five year election, and costs which would probably outstrip the money spent on the royals. Would a President do anything useful? Not at all, just get fat on our taxes wandering the world being ignored by almost all nations. At least the Queen is welcomed widely and internationally recognised. I could go on, but it is all well and good demanding a republic but what difference would it make other than give you something and someone else to moan about? stevep6

10:58pm Wed 13 Jun 12

MouseHouse says...

stevep6 - asks how would it make a difference?

A Republic would benefit the nation in a number of ways. The list below is just some of them:-

Supporting the Windsors is estimated to be 100 times the cost of maintaining the Irish President. There is no reason why ours should cost much more than than theirs, so that's a pile of cash saved. Don't assume that we must have a politician as President, we could have an author, an artist, a sporting figure...anybody. This role should be a simple figure head.

Throw open ALL the rooms at Buckingham Palace. Thousands of people pay to see a tiny fraction of the rooms there with no chance whatsoever of seeing a member of the Windsor family. In a Republic we can open almost every room, encouraging previous visitors to come back on a repeat trip. That means more foreign currency coming in, and more jobs.

This country stands for the values of freedom, democracy, equality and tolerance that, by broad political consensus, are said to be at the heart of a modern Britain. The monarchy stands for none of these, so we will also have a more mature democracy.

The British constitution and the monarchy are bound together. They are inseperable. The monarchy is the constitution. Get rid of it and we can write a new set of rules for our politicians, limiting the powers of government and make Britain a better, stronger democracy.

I believe my children are fantastic, and they deserve the chance to become Head of State.
That is an opportunity and a privilege we applaud in newly founded democracies in eastern Europe and North Africa, yet the Windsors and their supporters deny us.

Republic Now.
stevep6 - asks how would it make a difference? A Republic would benefit the nation in a number of ways. The list below is just some of them:- Supporting the Windsors is estimated to be 100 times the cost of maintaining the Irish President. There is no reason why ours should cost much more than than theirs, so that's a pile of cash saved. Don't assume that we must have a politician as President, we could have an author, an artist, a sporting figure...anybody. This role should be a simple figure head. Throw open ALL the rooms at Buckingham Palace. Thousands of people pay to see a tiny fraction of the rooms there with no chance whatsoever of seeing a member of the Windsor family. In a Republic we can open almost every room, encouraging previous visitors to come back on a repeat trip. That means more foreign currency coming in, and more jobs. This country stands for the values of freedom, democracy, equality and tolerance that, by broad political consensus, are said to be at the heart of a modern Britain. The monarchy stands for none of these, so we will also have a more mature democracy. The British constitution and the monarchy are bound together. They are inseperable. The monarchy is the constitution. Get rid of it and we can write a new set of rules for our politicians, limiting the powers of government and make Britain a better, stronger democracy. I believe my children are fantastic, and they deserve the chance to become Head of State. That is an opportunity and a privilege we applaud in newly founded democracies in eastern Europe and North Africa, yet the Windsors and their supporters deny us. Republic Now. MouseHouse

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree