Give money back

Give money back

Give money back

First published in Letters by

THIS is getting past a joke over the fines refunds on Lendal Bridge.

The fines have been taken off drivers when they should not have been.

The money should be sent back to the drivers involved – the council has their addresses – without the drivers having to apply for a refund.

Most of the drivers don’t live in York and will not know about the refunds, so how will they know about how to get their money back?

York is a beautiful city, so if you still want people to return to the council should do the right thing and send the money back to the drivers.

My daughter lives in your beautiful city so I come to York most weeks.

Terry Burton, Stoke-on-Trent.

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:28pm Sat 23 Aug 14

anth!! says...

Has the letter writer been fined then ?
Has the letter writer been fined then ? anth!!
  • Score: 3

3:06pm Sat 23 Aug 14

Seadog says...

Why are no comments allowed on Mr Bibby's excellent letter (above)? I wish to register my strong support for this calm-headed, well-reasoned, objective and and above all FAIR commentary.
Why are no comments allowed on Mr Bibby's excellent letter (above)? I wish to register my strong support for this calm-headed, well-reasoned, objective and and above all FAIR commentary. Seadog
  • Score: 2

3:08pm Sat 23 Aug 14

York2000 says...

These letters are probably typed up by the same person at the Press office who changes the scores on the comments.
These letters are probably typed up by the same person at the Press office who changes the scores on the comments. York2000
  • Score: -2

6:48pm Sat 23 Aug 14

wildthing666 says...

I say let the council pay the fines back NOW with interest at Wonga's rates 5900% or there abouts they would be massively in debt then.
I say let the council pay the fines back NOW with interest at Wonga's rates 5900% or there abouts they would be massively in debt then. wildthing666
  • Score: 0

10:42am Sun 24 Aug 14

CHISSY1 says...

Give it all to Cancer Research UK,i am sure no one would object.
Give it all to Cancer Research UK,i am sure no one would object. CHISSY1
  • Score: -56

1:35pm Mon 25 Aug 14

notpedallingpaul says...

anth!! wrote:
Has the letter writer been fined then ?
If he has then he's entitled to his money.
[quote][p][bold]anth!![/bold] wrote: Has the letter writer been fined then ?[/p][/quote]If he has then he's entitled to his money. notpedallingpaul
  • Score: -25

6:58pm Mon 25 Aug 14

anth!! says...

notpedallingpaul wrote:
anth!! wrote:
Has the letter writer been fined then ?
If he has then he's entitled to his money.
Dont think he as been fined, because he says he was a regular visitor to york to see his daughter, surely he would have been aware of the restrictions to lendal bridge, so whats his problem ?
[quote][p][bold]notpedallingpaul[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]anth!![/bold] wrote: Has the letter writer been fined then ?[/p][/quote]If he has then he's entitled to his money.[/p][/quote]Dont think he as been fined, because he says he was a regular visitor to york to see his daughter, surely he would have been aware of the restrictions to lendal bridge, so whats his problem ? anth!!
  • Score: 15

7:42pm Mon 25 Aug 14

notpedallingpaul says...

anth!! wrote:
notpedallingpaul wrote:
anth!! wrote:
Has the letter writer been fined then ?
If he has then he's entitled to his money.
Dont think he as been fined, because he says he was a regular visitor to york to see his daughter, surely he would have been aware of the restrictions to lendal bridge, so whats his problem ?
Pass, as a regular visitor it would stand to reason as you say he would have known about the bridge restrictions, I think the whole thing is a complete shambles, which just keeps stumbling on and on.
I don't think it will be over until all the money is returned, I think that's the only fair solution, whether or not those that went over the bridge did it deliberately as some people think, it was the use of ANPR cameras that were judged as illegal, so you can't therefore differentiate between a genuine mistake or a deliberate action, both were caught by an illegal use of a camera, and must now be reimbursed.
[quote][p][bold]anth!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notpedallingpaul[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]anth!![/bold] wrote: Has the letter writer been fined then ?[/p][/quote]If he has then he's entitled to his money.[/p][/quote]Dont think he as been fined, because he says he was a regular visitor to york to see his daughter, surely he would have been aware of the restrictions to lendal bridge, so whats his problem ?[/p][/quote]Pass, as a regular visitor it would stand to reason as you say he would have known about the bridge restrictions, I think the whole thing is a complete shambles, which just keeps stumbling on and on. I don't think it will be over until all the money is returned, I think that's the only fair solution, whether or not those that went over the bridge did it deliberately as some people think, it was the use of ANPR cameras that were judged as illegal, so you can't therefore differentiate between a genuine mistake or a deliberate action, both were caught by an illegal use of a camera, and must now be reimbursed. notpedallingpaul
  • Score: -50

10:05am Tue 26 Aug 14

Meldrew2 says...

My friend was fined a few months back. He lives in Middlesbrough so was delighted when I told him he could claim his money back.

He sent his claim off weeks ago and up to the other day had heard nothing.

Do they actually have any money to pay it back?
My friend was fined a few months back. He lives in Middlesbrough so was delighted when I told him he could claim his money back. He sent his claim off weeks ago and up to the other day had heard nothing. Do they actually have any money to pay it back? Meldrew2
  • Score: 3

6:54pm Tue 26 Aug 14

b3nson says...

anth!! wrote:
notpedallingpaul wrote:
anth!! wrote:
Has the letter writer been fined then ?
If he has then he's entitled to his money.
Dont think he as been fined, because he says he was a regular visitor to york to see his daughter, surely he would have been aware of the restrictions to lendal bridge, so whats his problem ?
Illegal is illegal in my book. Pay back what was unlawfully taken.
It's 'has' btw!
[quote][p][bold]anth!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notpedallingpaul[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]anth!![/bold] wrote: Has the letter writer been fined then ?[/p][/quote]If he has then he's entitled to his money.[/p][/quote]Dont think he as been fined, because he says he was a regular visitor to york to see his daughter, surely he would have been aware of the restrictions to lendal bridge, so whats his problem ?[/p][/quote]Illegal is illegal in my book. Pay back what was unlawfully taken. It's 'has' btw! b3nson
  • Score: 1
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree