All invited to join our protest march

All invited to join our protest march

All invited to join our protest march

First published in Letters by

FOR the third time in five-plus years, Israel has intensified its brutal siege of Gaza and is wreaking horrific destruction.

Some 204 people have been killed. including infants and disabled people, and thousands have been injured. Repeated bombing is also devastating Gaza’s fragile water system, leaving hundreds of people without safe water.

Hospitals are struggling to cope with the injured, and many essential medical supplies already running out due to the continued siege.

This situation is about Israel fighting to maintain its control over Palestinian lives, not just in Gaza, but also in the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem.

Tomorrow is a day of action throughout the UK to end the Siege of Gaza. York Palestine Solidarity Campaign is calling a march and rally at noon at the Minster Gates, near the Roman column and Constantine statue for a march, returning to Minster Gates at 1pm for a rally and speeches.

All are invited to join in this important campaign for justice for the people of Palestine.

Sue Cooke, Windmill Rise, York.

Comments (39)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:39pm Fri 18 Jul 14

Dr Robert says...

You persist in not mentioning the Hamas terrorists back by the Palestinians who keep sending missiles over into Israel, Hamas could not even hold back for the five hour truce yesterday without mortaring Israel, therefore breaking the ceasefire. One cannot expect to much from these people who teach their children that Israel needs erasing from the planet. Two sides to your argument Ms Cooke.
You persist in not mentioning the Hamas terrorists back by the Palestinians who keep sending missiles over into Israel, Hamas could not even hold back for the five hour truce yesterday without mortaring Israel, therefore breaking the ceasefire. One cannot expect to much from these people who teach their children that Israel needs erasing from the planet. Two sides to your argument Ms Cooke. Dr Robert
  • Score: -2

2:41pm Fri 18 Jul 14

gwen4me says...

I am not buying any goods that have any Israeli connection.
I am not buying any goods that have any Israeli connection. gwen4me
  • Score: 9

3:03pm Fri 18 Jul 14

Pinza-C55 says...

gwen4me wrote:
I am not buying any goods that have any Israeli connection.
The Israeli economy will soon be in freefall then.
[quote][p][bold]gwen4me[/bold] wrote: I am not buying any goods that have any Israeli connection.[/p][/quote]The Israeli economy will soon be in freefall then. Pinza-C55
  • Score: 5

3:25pm Fri 18 Jul 14

wallman says...

well said Dr Robert
well said Dr Robert wallman
  • Score: -1

3:35pm Fri 18 Jul 14

Big Bad Wolf says...

The quote I heard this morning summed it up for me...

Israel used its weapons to defend its citizens but Hamas used its citizens to defend its weapons.

They cannot expect to fire rockets from civilian areas and not receive return fire. The citizens need to revolt against Hamas and stop the firing of these rockets.
The quote I heard this morning summed it up for me... Israel used its weapons to defend its citizens but Hamas used its citizens to defend its weapons. They cannot expect to fire rockets from civilian areas and not receive return fire. The citizens need to revolt against Hamas and stop the firing of these rockets. Big Bad Wolf
  • Score: -6

3:50pm Fri 18 Jul 14

gwen4me says...

When the Palestinians have agreed to a ceasefire in the past, the Israelis prevaricate and make no real concessions. It is really easy to sit in your comfy English home and make trite comments, but when the electric is off, the water is a trickle, you have no work and the shells are raining down on your city, and the only thing you can do is fire a few home made rockets, it must be tempting to do so.
When the Palestinians have agreed to a ceasefire in the past, the Israelis prevaricate and make no real concessions. It is really easy to sit in your comfy English home and make trite comments, but when the electric is off, the water is a trickle, you have no work and the shells are raining down on your city, and the only thing you can do is fire a few home made rockets, it must be tempting to do so. gwen4me
  • Score: 6

3:50pm Fri 18 Jul 14

ColdAsChristmas says...

If you want Israel to stop, Mrs Cooke then tell your Hamas friends to stop firing rockets into Israel. Simples!
The Palestinians are doing nothing to stop these rocket attacks that land on Israeli soil. But then neither are you Mrs Cooke.
If you want Israel to stop, Mrs Cooke then tell your Hamas friends to stop firing rockets into Israel. Simples! The Palestinians are doing nothing to stop these rocket attacks that land on Israeli soil. But then neither are you Mrs Cooke. ColdAsChristmas
  • Score: -6

3:51pm Fri 18 Jul 14

gwen4me says...

Pinza-C55 wrote:
gwen4me wrote:
I am not buying any goods that have any Israeli connection.
The Israeli economy will soon be in freefall then.
It would be if enough people did it.
[quote][p][bold]Pinza-C55[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gwen4me[/bold] wrote: I am not buying any goods that have any Israeli connection.[/p][/quote]The Israeli economy will soon be in freefall then.[/p][/quote]It would be if enough people did it. gwen4me
  • Score: 5

3:56pm Fri 18 Jul 14

ColdAsChristmas says...

A Few home made rockets? I don't think so. Oh and Gaza has a population of 1.8 Million; so who used all the water?
A Few home made rockets? I don't think so. Oh and Gaza has a population of 1.8 Million; so who used all the water? ColdAsChristmas
  • Score: 0

4:13pm Fri 18 Jul 14

gwen4me says...

ColdAsChristmas wrote:
A Few home made rockets? I don't think so. Oh and Gaza has a population of 1.8 Million; so who used all the water?
Look up quassam rocket. Also, Israel control everything that goes into gaza, water electricity, everything. The whole city is under permanent siege. In case you find the situation difficult to grasp, Israel and the USA are keeping Gaza in the stone age. They are acting illegally in international law. But hey, they are only Arabs.
[quote][p][bold]ColdAsChristmas[/bold] wrote: A Few home made rockets? I don't think so. Oh and Gaza has a population of 1.8 Million; so who used all the water?[/p][/quote]Look up quassam rocket. Also, Israel control everything that goes into gaza, water electricity, everything. The whole city is under permanent siege. In case you find the situation difficult to grasp, Israel and the USA are keeping Gaza in the stone age. They are acting illegally in international law. But hey, they are only Arabs. gwen4me
  • Score: 10

4:36pm Fri 18 Jul 14

Jonothon says...

Pinza-C55 wrote:
gwen4me wrote:
I am not buying any goods that have any Israeli connection.
The Israeli economy will soon be in freefall then.
You are correct, the Israeli economy is seriously impacted by peoples revulsion at the criminality of Israels policy toward Palestine
Now that Governments, including our own, are warning companies about the illegality of the Israeli settlements, the bottom is falling out of the market. The Trade from illegal Israeli settlements in the Jordan valley fell by 14% last year. The boycott is biting hard on racist Israel, and the campaign has just started.
[quote][p][bold]Pinza-C55[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gwen4me[/bold] wrote: I am not buying any goods that have any Israeli connection.[/p][/quote]The Israeli economy will soon be in freefall then.[/p][/quote]You are correct, the Israeli economy is seriously impacted by peoples revulsion at the criminality of Israels policy toward Palestine Now that Governments, including our own, are warning companies about the illegality of the Israeli settlements, the bottom is falling out of the market. The Trade from illegal Israeli settlements in the Jordan valley fell by 14% last year. The boycott is biting hard on racist Israel, and the campaign has just started. Jonothon
  • Score: 4

4:41pm Fri 18 Jul 14

BAJNY says...

As long as fans of Allah keep glorifying Him by killing those of Yahweh and vice-versa, the problem will continue. Shame on both of them; shame, too, on the US politicians, backed by the fans of Jesus and his Dad, as they keep propping up one side with vast numbers of tax dollars which could be far better spent.
The situation is hopeless and will stay that way until we find a vaccine to counteract superstition.
As long as fans of Allah keep glorifying Him by killing those of Yahweh and vice-versa, the problem will continue. Shame on both of them; shame, too, on the US politicians, backed by the fans of Jesus and his Dad, as they keep propping up one side with vast numbers of tax dollars which could be far better spent. The situation is hopeless and will stay that way until we find a vaccine to counteract superstition. BAJNY
  • Score: 6

5:32pm Fri 18 Jul 14

Pinza-C55 says...

Jonothon wrote:
Pinza-C55 wrote:
gwen4me wrote:
I am not buying any goods that have any Israeli connection.
The Israeli economy will soon be in freefall then.
You are correct, the Israeli economy is seriously impacted by peoples revulsion at the criminality of Israels policy toward Palestine
Now that Governments, including our own, are warning companies about the illegality of the Israeli settlements, the bottom is falling out of the market. The Trade from illegal Israeli settlements in the Jordan valley fell by 14% last year. The boycott is biting hard on racist Israel, and the campaign has just started.
Do you boycott British goods too?
[quote][p][bold]Jonothon[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pinza-C55[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gwen4me[/bold] wrote: I am not buying any goods that have any Israeli connection.[/p][/quote]The Israeli economy will soon be in freefall then.[/p][/quote]You are correct, the Israeli economy is seriously impacted by peoples revulsion at the criminality of Israels policy toward Palestine Now that Governments, including our own, are warning companies about the illegality of the Israeli settlements, the bottom is falling out of the market. The Trade from illegal Israeli settlements in the Jordan valley fell by 14% last year. The boycott is biting hard on racist Israel, and the campaign has just started.[/p][/quote]Do you boycott British goods too? Pinza-C55
  • Score: -1

5:47pm Fri 18 Jul 14

gwen4me says...

"Do you boycott British goods too?"

No, I have written instead to my m.p. deploring British of Israel`s barbarous treatment of Palestine.
"Do you boycott British goods too?" No, I have written instead to my m.p. deploring British of Israel`s barbarous treatment of Palestine. gwen4me
  • Score: 6

6:00pm Fri 18 Jul 14

Pinza-C55 says...

gwen4me wrote:
"Do you boycott British goods too?"

No, I have written instead to my m.p. deploring British of Israel`s barbarous treatment of Palestine.
I was thinking more of the fact that "we" (Britain) invaded Ireland a few hundred years ago, filled it with colonists and at various times killed the freedom fighters/terrorists. It's still not reunited because the people who we sent over there don't want that.
But is what we have done in Ireland too close to home or just not fashionable any more?
Or is it inconvenient to boycott British goods in your "comfy English home"?
[quote][p][bold]gwen4me[/bold] wrote: "Do you boycott British goods too?" No, I have written instead to my m.p. deploring British of Israel`s barbarous treatment of Palestine.[/p][/quote]I was thinking more of the fact that "we" (Britain) invaded Ireland a few hundred years ago, filled it with colonists and at various times killed the freedom fighters/terrorists. It's still not reunited because the people who we sent over there don't want that. But is what we have done in Ireland too close to home or just not fashionable any more? Or is it inconvenient to boycott British goods in your "comfy English home"? Pinza-C55
  • Score: 2

7:33pm Fri 18 Jul 14

rothko says...

The occupation of Palestine has lasted much longer than Hamas. The Palestinians are under illegal occupation and lose more land every year. If Israel wants to live in peace with the Palestinians it should withdraw from the occupied territories it took in 1967.
The occupation of Palestine has lasted much longer than Hamas. The Palestinians are under illegal occupation and lose more land every year. If Israel wants to live in peace with the Palestinians it should withdraw from the occupied territories it took in 1967. rothko
  • Score: 1

8:32pm Fri 18 Jul 14

gwen4me says...

Pinza-C55 wrote:
gwen4me wrote:
"Do you boycott British goods too?"

No, I have written instead to my m.p. deploring British of Israel`s barbarous treatment of Palestine.
I was thinking more of the fact that "we" (Britain) invaded Ireland a few hundred years ago, filled it with colonists and at various times killed the freedom fighters/terrorists. It's still not reunited because the people who we sent over there don't want that.
But is what we have done in Ireland too close to home or just not fashionable any more?
Or is it inconvenient to boycott British goods in your "comfy English home"?
I know that we have a terrible history in Ireland, and that the situation is still not resolved. However, serious attempts have been made in the last couple of decades to make amends, unlike the situation in Palestine which goes from bad to worse. It is also a festering cancer which is spreading throughout the Middle East.

So I wont be buying any figs or olives or intel processors, and I have let the Israeli Embassy in London know that. I bet i`m not alone.
[quote][p][bold]Pinza-C55[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gwen4me[/bold] wrote: "Do you boycott British goods too?" No, I have written instead to my m.p. deploring British of Israel`s barbarous treatment of Palestine.[/p][/quote]I was thinking more of the fact that "we" (Britain) invaded Ireland a few hundred years ago, filled it with colonists and at various times killed the freedom fighters/terrorists. It's still not reunited because the people who we sent over there don't want that. But is what we have done in Ireland too close to home or just not fashionable any more? Or is it inconvenient to boycott British goods in your "comfy English home"?[/p][/quote]I know that we have a terrible history in Ireland, and that the situation is still not resolved. However, serious attempts have been made in the last couple of decades to make amends, unlike the situation in Palestine which goes from bad to worse. It is also a festering cancer which is spreading throughout the Middle East. So I wont be buying any figs or olives or intel processors, and I have let the Israeli Embassy in London know that. I bet i`m not alone. gwen4me
  • Score: 2

1:30am Sat 19 Jul 14

Emperor Palpatine says...

We have one friend in that region; Israel. It's terrible that civilians have been killed but how many of them voted for Hamas whose constitution calls for the destruction of Israel? Hamas brought it on themselves by murdering those Jewish children and firing rockets into Israel and by so doing they brought it down on those gullible enough to vote for them. I hope Israel exterminates Hamas but it won't be easy as they hide behind human shields. How many of those marchers would support an organisation calling for the destruction of Britain and Christianity? Yet they expect Israel to sit on their hands and do nothing. If only we had the guts to take strong action against our own Muslim terror threat.
We have one friend in that region; Israel. It's terrible that civilians have been killed but how many of them voted for Hamas whose constitution calls for the destruction of Israel? Hamas brought it on themselves by murdering those Jewish children and firing rockets into Israel and by so doing they brought it down on those gullible enough to vote for them. I hope Israel exterminates Hamas but it won't be easy as they hide behind human shields. How many of those marchers would support an organisation calling for the destruction of Britain and Christianity? Yet they expect Israel to sit on their hands and do nothing. If only we had the guts to take strong action against our own Muslim terror threat. Emperor Palpatine
  • Score: 3

7:07am Sat 19 Jul 14

bravo whisky says...

Emperor Palpatine, well said, until we have a Government that will stand up to and be serious about the Muslim threat in Britain, and that will certainly not be a labour government, they will continue to try and make Britain into a Muslim state, they are already at it in our schools, now under investigation, and that only came to light because of a whistle-blower. Australia have the right idea, Muslims are told they have come to a Christian country and abide by our rules, if you wish not to then go live somewhere else. No doubt gwen4me and the letter writer Cooke are supporters of the vicious mouthed George Galloway who has only survived in politics because he supports the Muslim cause in Bradford.
Emperor Palpatine, well said, until we have a Government that will stand up to and be serious about the Muslim threat in Britain, and that will certainly not be a labour government, they will continue to try and make Britain into a Muslim state, they are already at it in our schools, now under investigation, and that only came to light because of a whistle-blower. Australia have the right idea, Muslims are told they have come to a Christian country and abide by our rules, if you wish not to then go live somewhere else. No doubt gwen4me and the letter writer Cooke are supporters of the vicious mouthed George Galloway who has only survived in politics because he supports the Muslim cause in Bradford. bravo whisky
  • Score: 6

8:59am Sat 19 Jul 14

gwen4me says...

Don't you love it when people assume things about you? Bravo whisky just ruined any credibility his post may have had in his last sentence
Don't you love it when people assume things about you? Bravo whisky just ruined any credibility his post may have had in his last sentence gwen4me
  • Score: 0

9:55am Sat 19 Jul 14

Pinza-C55 says...

"Muslims are told they have come to a Christian country"
I don't want it to be a muslim country.
I don't want it to be a christian country.
I want it to be a country where you are free to be what you want to be.
If you want to delude yourself that there's any variation on a Invisible Man In The Sky, feel free to do so.
Don't try to get me to join you in your delusion.
https://www.youtube.
com/watch?v=_2E01jA-
H6A
"Muslims are told they have come to a Christian country" I don't want it to be a muslim country. I don't want it to be a christian country. I want it to be a country where you are free to be what you want to be. If you want to delude yourself that there's any variation on a Invisible Man In The Sky, feel free to do so. Don't try to get me to join you in your delusion. https://www.youtube. com/watch?v=_2E01jA- H6A Pinza-C55
  • Score: 0

10:18am Sat 19 Jul 14

Emperor Palpatine says...

Pinza-C55 wrote:
"Muslims are told they have come to a Christian country"
I don't want it to be a muslim country.
I don't want it to be a christian country.
I want it to be a country where you are free to be what you want to be.
If you want to delude yourself that there's any variation on a Invisible Man In The Sky, feel free to do so.
Don't try to get me to join you in your delusion.
https://www.youtube.

com/watch?v=_2E01jA-

H6A
In my experience it's the tedious militant atheists who want us to join in their delusion that matter somehow created itself out of nothing and rearranged itself into a perfect ecosystem and universe. They usually trot out the sad and tired "flying spaghetti monster" jibe when they get nowhere. I think you'll find though (and to be fair you have been even handed) that there is one of the three monotheistic faiths they tend not to dare ridicule. can you guess which one that is?
[quote][p][bold]Pinza-C55[/bold] wrote: "Muslims are told they have come to a Christian country" I don't want it to be a muslim country. I don't want it to be a christian country. I want it to be a country where you are free to be what you want to be. If you want to delude yourself that there's any variation on a Invisible Man In The Sky, feel free to do so. Don't try to get me to join you in your delusion. https://www.youtube. com/watch?v=_2E01jA- H6A[/p][/quote]In my experience it's the tedious militant atheists who want us to join in their delusion that matter somehow created itself out of nothing and rearranged itself into a perfect ecosystem and universe. They usually trot out the sad and tired "flying spaghetti monster" jibe when they get nowhere. I think you'll find though (and to be fair you have been even handed) that there is one of the three monotheistic faiths they tend not to dare ridicule. can you guess which one that is? Emperor Palpatine
  • Score: 2

11:17am Sat 19 Jul 14

Pinza-C55 says...

"In my experience it's the tedious militant atheists who want us to join in their delusion that matter somehow created itself out of nothing and rearranged itself into a perfect ecosystem and universe."
Atheism makes no claims about the Big Bang or anything else though I could explain my understanding if you wanted and if I had the time or the inclination.
Atheism is the rejection of theist claims as unsupported by evidence. If you wish to convert me to your religion all you have to do is get it to physically manifest in front of multiple independent witnesses, ie "show it's face"
Don't tell me it is invisible.
Don't tell me it only speaks if I believe in it,
Don't tell me I can only meet it when I am dead.
"I think you'll find though (and to be fair you have been even handed) that there is one of the three monotheistic faiths they tend not to dare ridicule."
At the last count just under 4% of the UK population identified as muslim, an insignificant number.
The leading atheist debaters DO debate and even ridicule islam and if I was face to face with a muslim I would do the same.
I would invite you to watch this roundup of clips from Lawrence Krauss, a leading physicist and atheist; in particular pay attention to 6.16 onwards where he tells a muslim audience that their religion is nonsense.
https://www.youtube.
com/watch?v=dIJXGQ4H
0GQ
If you wish, I can recommend you some good material on the Big Bang to improve your knowledge on the subject.
"In my experience it's the tedious militant atheists who want us to join in their delusion that matter somehow created itself out of nothing and rearranged itself into a perfect ecosystem and universe." Atheism makes no claims about the Big Bang or anything else though I could explain my understanding if you wanted and if I had the time or the inclination. Atheism is the rejection of theist claims as unsupported by evidence. If you wish to convert me to your religion all you have to do is get it to physically manifest in front of multiple independent witnesses, ie "show it's face" Don't tell me it is invisible. Don't tell me it only speaks if I believe in it, Don't tell me I can only meet it when I am dead. "I think you'll find though (and to be fair you have been even handed) that there is one of the three monotheistic faiths they tend not to dare ridicule." At the last count just under 4% of the UK population identified as muslim, an insignificant number. The leading atheist debaters DO debate and even ridicule islam and if I was face to face with a muslim I would do the same. I would invite you to watch this roundup of clips from Lawrence Krauss, a leading physicist and atheist; in particular pay attention to 6.16 onwards where he tells a muslim audience that their religion is nonsense. https://www.youtube. com/watch?v=dIJXGQ4H 0GQ If you wish, I can recommend you some good material on the Big Bang to improve your knowledge on the subject. Pinza-C55
  • Score: 1

11:54am Sat 19 Jul 14

Emperor Palpatine says...

Pinza-C55 wrote:
"In my experience it's the tedious militant atheists who want us to join in their delusion that matter somehow created itself out of nothing and rearranged itself into a perfect ecosystem and universe."
Atheism makes no claims about the Big Bang or anything else though I could explain my understanding if you wanted and if I had the time or the inclination.
Atheism is the rejection of theist claims as unsupported by evidence. If you wish to convert me to your religion all you have to do is get it to physically manifest in front of multiple independent witnesses, ie "show it's face"
Don't tell me it is invisible.
Don't tell me it only speaks if I believe in it,
Don't tell me I can only meet it when I am dead.
"I think you'll find though (and to be fair you have been even handed) that there is one of the three monotheistic faiths they tend not to dare ridicule."
At the last count just under 4% of the UK population identified as muslim, an insignificant number.
The leading atheist debaters DO debate and even ridicule islam and if I was face to face with a muslim I would do the same.
I would invite you to watch this roundup of clips from Lawrence Krauss, a leading physicist and atheist; in particular pay attention to 6.16 onwards where he tells a muslim audience that their religion is nonsense.
https://www.youtube.

com/watch?v=dIJXGQ4H

0GQ
If you wish, I can recommend you some good material on the Big Bang to improve your knowledge on the subject.
Richard Dawkins called the Christian version of God "hideous" but when asked about Allah his reply was "Well, um, the God of the Koran I don't know so much about." Convenient eh.

Atheism is not a crime in Christian countries, a freedom of speech bought by Western Judeo Christian values and culture. It's a bit hypocritical of the militant atheists to attack Christianity whilst hiding behind the freedom it has brought them. They should try going to a Muslim country and declaring themselves to be atheists and preach Dawkin's "gospel" but strangely they never do.....I wonder why....

For every youtube video you produce I can counter with one (try William Lane Craig if you want more knowledge on the subject of Christianity). For every argument you produce I can come back with one of my own and we will be here all day and hijack the topic so I'm going to leave it there. You won't change your beliefs and I won't change mine. I see the evidence for God everywhere, you see it nowhere and we will just end up disagreeing over a keyboard and a screen which is a silly way to spend a Saturday.

All the best, have a nice weekend.
[quote][p][bold]Pinza-C55[/bold] wrote: "In my experience it's the tedious militant atheists who want us to join in their delusion that matter somehow created itself out of nothing and rearranged itself into a perfect ecosystem and universe." Atheism makes no claims about the Big Bang or anything else though I could explain my understanding if you wanted and if I had the time or the inclination. Atheism is the rejection of theist claims as unsupported by evidence. If you wish to convert me to your religion all you have to do is get it to physically manifest in front of multiple independent witnesses, ie "show it's face" Don't tell me it is invisible. Don't tell me it only speaks if I believe in it, Don't tell me I can only meet it when I am dead. "I think you'll find though (and to be fair you have been even handed) that there is one of the three monotheistic faiths they tend not to dare ridicule." At the last count just under 4% of the UK population identified as muslim, an insignificant number. The leading atheist debaters DO debate and even ridicule islam and if I was face to face with a muslim I would do the same. I would invite you to watch this roundup of clips from Lawrence Krauss, a leading physicist and atheist; in particular pay attention to 6.16 onwards where he tells a muslim audience that their religion is nonsense. https://www.youtube. com/watch?v=dIJXGQ4H 0GQ If you wish, I can recommend you some good material on the Big Bang to improve your knowledge on the subject.[/p][/quote]Richard Dawkins called the Christian version of God "hideous" but when asked about Allah his reply was "Well, um, the God of the Koran I don't know so much about." Convenient eh. Atheism is not a crime in Christian countries, a freedom of speech bought by Western Judeo Christian values and culture. It's a bit hypocritical of the militant atheists to attack Christianity whilst hiding behind the freedom it has brought them. They should try going to a Muslim country and declaring themselves to be atheists and preach Dawkin's "gospel" but strangely they never do.....I wonder why.... For every youtube video you produce I can counter with one (try William Lane Craig if you want more knowledge on the subject of Christianity). For every argument you produce I can come back with one of my own and we will be here all day and hijack the topic so I'm going to leave it there. You won't change your beliefs and I won't change mine. I see the evidence for God everywhere, you see it nowhere and we will just end up disagreeing over a keyboard and a screen which is a silly way to spend a Saturday. All the best, have a nice weekend. Emperor Palpatine
  • Score: 3

12:22pm Sat 19 Jul 14

Pinza-C55 says...

"Richard Dawkins called the Christian version of God "hideous" but when asked about Allah his reply was "Well, um, the God of the Koran I don't know so much about." Convenient eh."
Richard Dawkins challenges a muslim on apostasy
https://www.youtube.
com/watch?v=pQzuFrMR
A3M
"Atheism is not a crime in Christian countries"
How very kind of you not to burn us at the stake any more!
"a freedom of speech bought by Western Judeo Christian values and culture"
Nonsense. Japan and most of the Scandinavian are largely atheist and have freedom of speech, better education and higher quality of living than theist countries. That's why religion is atrophying in this country. One day you will be like Trekkies.
"They should try going to a Muslim country and declaring themselves to be atheists and preach Dawkin's "gospel" but strangely they never do.....I wonder why.... "
Personally I have no interest in either Israel or Palestine nor any wish to visit that part of the world for any reason.
"For every youtube video you produce I can counter with one (try William Lane Craig if you want more knowledge on the subject of Christianity)."
Craig is a snake oil salesman who uses pseudo scientific language to bamboozle scientifically illiterate theist audiences. In his two debates with Krauss he has been utterly defeated.
"For every argument you produce I can come back with one of my own and we will be here all day and hijack the topic so I'm going to leave it there."
Sounds like a copout to me.
"You won't change your beliefs and I won't change mine."
I have no beliefs. I accept things which have proof.
"I see the evidence for God everywhere"
Good for you. Get it to show up then, in the real world. You'd be the first.
"we will just end up disagreeing over a keyboard and a screen"
That's true but you are making a claim and you offer no evidence. One of us is right and one is wrong.It looks like that may be you.

You have a nice weekend too.
"Richard Dawkins called the Christian version of God "hideous" but when asked about Allah his reply was "Well, um, the God of the Koran I don't know so much about." Convenient eh." Richard Dawkins challenges a muslim on apostasy https://www.youtube. com/watch?v=pQzuFrMR A3M "Atheism is not a crime in Christian countries" How very kind of you not to burn us at the stake any more! "a freedom of speech bought by Western Judeo Christian values and culture" Nonsense. Japan and most of the Scandinavian are largely atheist and have freedom of speech, better education and higher quality of living than theist countries. That's why religion is atrophying in this country. One day you will be like Trekkies. "They should try going to a Muslim country and declaring themselves to be atheists and preach Dawkin's "gospel" but strangely they never do.....I wonder why.... " Personally I have no interest in either Israel or Palestine nor any wish to visit that part of the world for any reason. "For every youtube video you produce I can counter with one (try William Lane Craig if you want more knowledge on the subject of Christianity)." Craig is a snake oil salesman who uses pseudo scientific language to bamboozle scientifically illiterate theist audiences. In his two debates with Krauss he has been utterly defeated. "For every argument you produce I can come back with one of my own and we will be here all day and hijack the topic so I'm going to leave it there." Sounds like a copout to me. "You won't change your beliefs and I won't change mine." I have no beliefs. I accept things which have proof. "I see the evidence for God everywhere" Good for you. Get it to show up then, in the real world. You'd be the first. "we will just end up disagreeing over a keyboard and a screen" That's true but you are making a claim and you offer no evidence. One of us is right and one is wrong.It looks like that may be you. You have a nice weekend too. Pinza-C55
  • Score: -2

1:02pm Sat 19 Jul 14

Emperor Palpatine says...

I don't have to show evidence of God's existence, I could cite what I believe to be evidence but I simply don't feel the need to. I believe in God, you don't. Neither one of us has to justify our position to the other. I have read your points and could easily refute them, quoting examples etc. Then you come back to refute mine, I respond and on it goes. I could even say "no, it's YOU that is wrong" and on we go round and around and in the end nothing will change.

It's not a "cop out", it's just a desire not to bore people or get into an argument. I've seen many initially friendly debates turn nasty on the internet. I don't want to go there.
I don't have to show evidence of God's existence, I could cite what I believe to be evidence but I simply don't feel the need to. I believe in God, you don't. Neither one of us has to justify our position to the other. I have read your points and could easily refute them, quoting examples etc. Then you come back to refute mine, I respond and on it goes. I could even say "no, it's YOU that is wrong" and on we go round and around and in the end nothing will change. It's not a "cop out", it's just a desire not to bore people or get into an argument. I've seen many initially friendly debates turn nasty on the internet. I don't want to go there. Emperor Palpatine
  • Score: -2

1:48pm Sat 19 Jul 14

Pinza-C55 says...

Emperor Palpatine wrote:
I don't have to show evidence of God's existence, I could cite what I believe to be evidence but I simply don't feel the need to. I believe in God, you don't. Neither one of us has to justify our position to the other. I have read your points and could easily refute them, quoting examples etc. Then you come back to refute mine, I respond and on it goes. I could even say "no, it's YOU that is wrong" and on we go round and around and in the end nothing will change.

It's not a "cop out", it's just a desire not to bore people or get into an argument. I've seen many initially friendly debates turn nasty on the internet. I don't want to go there.
Oh! I thought you'd gone to enjoy your weekend and get away from your keyboard?
"I don't have to show evidence of God's existence"
Not to you yourself, no. If you want me to believe what you believe then you have to provide evidence which will satisfy me, otherwise I will write your claims off as no better than claims for the Loch Ness Monster or Unicorns.
"I believe in God, you don't. Neither one of us has to justify our position to the other."
Incorrect. I cannot "believe" in something for which satisfactory evidence has not been presented to me. I don't much care whether you believe or not. I do not need to justify my position but you do, since you are making a positive claim and thus you have the burden of proof.
"I have read your points and could easily refute them, quoting examples etc. "
Then go ahead, I won't be going out for a drink till 6 and it is raining.
"I could even say "no, it's YOU that is wrong"
Feel free. I will still want to see your god and that will prove that I am wrong to reject your god claims.
"It's not a "cop out", it's just a desire not to bore people or get into an argument. "
And yet you bade me a good weekend and I responded in kind.
And yet here you are, back again.
"I've seen many initially friendly debates turn nasty on the internet."
Not debates by me. If you can find one post by me on the Press where I am even remotely "nasty", please do so.
If you cannot handle a debate, move on and stop replying to me.
[quote][p][bold]Emperor Palpatine[/bold] wrote: I don't have to show evidence of God's existence, I could cite what I believe to be evidence but I simply don't feel the need to. I believe in God, you don't. Neither one of us has to justify our position to the other. I have read your points and could easily refute them, quoting examples etc. Then you come back to refute mine, I respond and on it goes. I could even say "no, it's YOU that is wrong" and on we go round and around and in the end nothing will change. It's not a "cop out", it's just a desire not to bore people or get into an argument. I've seen many initially friendly debates turn nasty on the internet. I don't want to go there.[/p][/quote]Oh! I thought you'd gone to enjoy your weekend and get away from your keyboard? "I don't have to show evidence of God's existence" Not to you yourself, no. If you want me to believe what you believe then you have to provide evidence which will satisfy me, otherwise I will write your claims off as no better than claims for the Loch Ness Monster or Unicorns. "I believe in God, you don't. Neither one of us has to justify our position to the other." Incorrect. I cannot "believe" in something for which satisfactory evidence has not been presented to me. I don't much care whether you believe or not. I do not need to justify my position but you do, since you are making a positive claim and thus you have the burden of proof. "I have read your points and could easily refute them, quoting examples etc. " Then go ahead, I won't be going out for a drink till 6 and it is raining. "I could even say "no, it's YOU that is wrong" Feel free. I will still want to see your god and that will prove that I am wrong to reject your god claims. "It's not a "cop out", it's just a desire not to bore people or get into an argument. " And yet you bade me a good weekend and I responded in kind. And yet here you are, back again. "I've seen many initially friendly debates turn nasty on the internet." Not debates by me. If you can find one post by me on the Press where I am even remotely "nasty", please do so. If you cannot handle a debate, move on and stop replying to me. Pinza-C55
  • Score: -7

2:08pm Sat 19 Jul 14

I Am Normal says...

I don't really follow politics much but it looks to me like the gentleman replied to you politely as it seemed you thought you would be "clever" by saying to him "One of us is right and one is wrong. It looks like that may be you."

Now you are seemingly wanting to provoke an argument by being rude to him, thus proving his point.
I don't really follow politics much but it looks to me like the gentleman replied to you politely as it seemed you thought you would be "clever" by saying to him "One of us is right and one is wrong. It looks like that may be you." Now you are seemingly wanting to provoke an argument by being rude to him, thus proving his point. I Am Normal
  • Score: 9

2:21pm Sat 19 Jul 14

Pinza-C55 says...

I Am Normal wrote:
I don't really follow politics much but it looks to me like the gentleman replied to you politely as it seemed you thought you would be "clever" by saying to him "One of us is right and one is wrong. It looks like that may be you."

Now you are seemingly wanting to provoke an argument by being rude to him, thus proving his point.
"One of us is right and one of us is wrong" is simply a statement of fact. If I say "It is raining" and you say "It is not raining" then one of us is right and one is wrong. There's nothing "rude" in pointing that out.
"Now you are seemingly wanting to provoke an argument "
Read both our posts.
Initially he replied to me, I didn't ask him to. He brought an argument to me and called me (or inferred that I was) a "militant atheist". I'm not a militant anything. I don't dress in camouflage, carry a gun or go on marches, nor do I meet other atheists in halls.
He bade me farewell but he came back.
"thus proving his point"
I'm still waiting for him to do that.
If you are religious and want to debate me here, please do.
[quote][p][bold]I Am Normal[/bold] wrote: I don't really follow politics much but it looks to me like the gentleman replied to you politely as it seemed you thought you would be "clever" by saying to him "One of us is right and one is wrong. It looks like that may be you." Now you are seemingly wanting to provoke an argument by being rude to him, thus proving his point.[/p][/quote]"One of us is right and one of us is wrong" is simply a statement of fact. If I say "It is raining" and you say "It is not raining" then one of us is right and one is wrong. There's nothing "rude" in pointing that out. "Now you are seemingly wanting to provoke an argument " Read both our posts. Initially he replied to me, I didn't ask him to. He brought an argument to me and called me (or inferred that I was) a "militant atheist". I'm not a militant anything. I don't dress in camouflage, carry a gun or go on marches, nor do I meet other atheists in halls. He bade me farewell but he came back. "thus proving his point" I'm still waiting for him to do that. If you are religious and want to debate me here, please do. Pinza-C55
  • Score: -5

2:39pm Sat 19 Jul 14

I Am Normal says...

I don't want to debate religion or politics. I can't speak for the other gentleman (I assume it is a chap) but you do appear to be a militant atheist as he put it as you equate Faith with belief in unicorns and the Loch Ness Monster. I don't want to debate with somebody seemingly as disrespectful as that. I think the other gentleman would do well not to enter any further debate with you either.

Regards
J.T.
I don't want to debate religion or politics. I can't speak for the other gentleman (I assume it is a chap) but you do appear to be a militant atheist as he put it as you equate Faith with belief in unicorns and the Loch Ness Monster. I don't want to debate with somebody seemingly as disrespectful as that. I think the other gentleman would do well not to enter any further debate with you either. Regards J.T. I Am Normal
  • Score: 6

3:15pm Sat 19 Jul 14

Pinza-C55 says...

I Am Normal wrote:
I don't want to debate religion or politics. I can't speak for the other gentleman (I assume it is a chap) but you do appear to be a militant atheist as he put it as you equate Faith with belief in unicorns and the Loch Ness Monster. I don't want to debate with somebody seemingly as disrespectful as that. I think the other gentleman would do well not to enter any further debate with you either.

Regards
J.T.
"I don't want to debate religion or politics."
Ok.
"I can't speak for the other gentleman"
That's an important point. And yet you seem to be doing just that?
"but you do appear to be a militant atheist "
Here we go again.
"as you equate Faith with belief in unicorns and the Loch Ness Monster"
Not sure why faith merits a capital letter? Unicorns and the Loch Ness Monster are unsupported by evidence and so is the judeo-christian "god". In fact, none of the estimated 10,000 gods worshipped by humans throughout history have ever been supported by evidence - that is why there are currently several different gods being worshipped.
" I don't want to debate with somebody seemingly as disrespectful as that."
That's your prerogative.
"I think the other gentleman would do well not to enter any further debate with you either. "
That's his prerogative.
By the way earlier he said "If only we had the guts to take strong action against our own Muslim terror threat."
Does he regard all muslims as a terror threat or only some?
Goodbye PC55
[quote][p][bold]I Am Normal[/bold] wrote: I don't want to debate religion or politics. I can't speak for the other gentleman (I assume it is a chap) but you do appear to be a militant atheist as he put it as you equate Faith with belief in unicorns and the Loch Ness Monster. I don't want to debate with somebody seemingly as disrespectful as that. I think the other gentleman would do well not to enter any further debate with you either. Regards J.T.[/p][/quote]"I don't want to debate religion or politics." Ok. "I can't speak for the other gentleman" That's an important point. And yet you seem to be doing just that? "but you do appear to be a militant atheist " Here we go again. "as you equate Faith with belief in unicorns and the Loch Ness Monster" Not sure why faith merits a capital letter? Unicorns and the Loch Ness Monster are unsupported by evidence and so is the judeo-christian "god". In fact, none of the estimated 10,000 gods worshipped by humans throughout history have ever been supported by evidence - that is why there are currently several different gods being worshipped. " I don't want to debate with somebody seemingly as disrespectful as that." That's your prerogative. "I think the other gentleman would do well not to enter any further debate with you either. " That's his prerogative. By the way earlier he said "If only we had the guts to take strong action against our own Muslim terror threat." Does he regard all muslims as a terror threat or only some? Goodbye PC55 Pinza-C55
  • Score: -5

9:04pm Sat 19 Jul 14

BAJNY says...

“Out by that same door as in we went” it seems, but at least the Jesus fans have stopped listening to the archbishops etc. and are no longer beheading heretics, displaying the heads on Holgate Bar or Traitors’ Gate. Now if we could just persuade the other fan groups to ignore the rabbis and ayatollahs and stop killing each other we might see some progress.
“Out by that same door as in we went” it seems, but at least the Jesus fans have stopped listening to the archbishops etc. and are no longer beheading heretics, displaying the heads on Holgate Bar or Traitors’ Gate. Now if we could just persuade the other fan groups to ignore the rabbis and ayatollahs and stop killing each other we might see some progress. BAJNY
  • Score: 3

9:51pm Sat 19 Jul 14

Pinza-C55 says...

BAJNY wrote:
“Out by that same door as in we went” it seems, but at least the Jesus fans have stopped listening to the archbishops etc. and are no longer beheading heretics, displaying the heads on Holgate Bar or Traitors’ Gate. Now if we could just persuade the other fan groups to ignore the rabbis and ayatollahs and stop killing each other we might see some progress.
Careful you don't hurt their feelings.
[quote][p][bold]BAJNY[/bold] wrote: “Out by that same door as in we went” it seems, but at least the Jesus fans have stopped listening to the archbishops etc. and are no longer beheading heretics, displaying the heads on Holgate Bar or Traitors’ Gate. Now if we could just persuade the other fan groups to ignore the rabbis and ayatollahs and stop killing each other we might see some progress.[/p][/quote]Careful you don't hurt their feelings. Pinza-C55
  • Score: -3

10:05pm Sat 19 Jul 14

BAJNY says...

Pinza-C55 wrote:
BAJNY wrote:
“Out by that same door as in we went” it seems, but at least the Jesus fans have stopped listening to the archbishops etc. and are no longer beheading heretics, displaying the heads on Holgate Bar or Traitors’ Gate. Now if we could just persuade the other fan groups to ignore the rabbis and ayatollahs and stop killing each other we might see some progress.
Careful you don't hurt their feelings.
If the Loving Father/Mother/Whatev
er of Us All did not intend feelings to be hurt every now and then, he/she/it would not have invented them in the first place.
[quote][p][bold]Pinza-C55[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BAJNY[/bold] wrote: “Out by that same door as in we went” it seems, but at least the Jesus fans have stopped listening to the archbishops etc. and are no longer beheading heretics, displaying the heads on Holgate Bar or Traitors’ Gate. Now if we could just persuade the other fan groups to ignore the rabbis and ayatollahs and stop killing each other we might see some progress.[/p][/quote]Careful you don't hurt their feelings.[/p][/quote]If the Loving Father/Mother/Whatev er of Us All did not intend feelings to be hurt every now and then, he/she/it would not have invented them in the first place. BAJNY
  • Score: 2

7:26am Sun 20 Jul 14

Thecynic says...

About time all this worshipping of false deities was banned. There's only one deity, and I have proof! He has left me countless presents throughout my life.
So dump your gods, throw away your bibles and korans etc. and worship the true one! Santa Claus
About time all this worshipping of false deities was banned. There's only one deity, and I have proof! He has left me countless presents throughout my life. So dump your gods, throw away your bibles and korans etc. and worship the true one! Santa Claus Thecynic
  • Score: 0

12:54pm Sun 20 Jul 14

BAJNY says...

Thecynic wrote:
About time all this worshipping of false deities was banned. There's only one deity, and I have proof! He has left me countless presents throughout my life.
So dump your gods, throw away your bibles and korans etc. and worship the true one! Santa Claus
No! Santa Claus is just for children, whereas …
On second thoughts, Sorry! You’re right.
[quote][p][bold]Thecynic[/bold] wrote: About time all this worshipping of false deities was banned. There's only one deity, and I have proof! He has left me countless presents throughout my life. So dump your gods, throw away your bibles and korans etc. and worship the true one! Santa Claus[/p][/quote]No! Santa Claus is just for children, whereas … On second thoughts, Sorry! You’re right. BAJNY
  • Score: 2

2:32pm Sun 20 Jul 14

julia brica says...

Jonothon wrote:
Pinza-C55 wrote:
gwen4me wrote:
I am not buying any goods that have any Israeli connection.
The Israeli economy will soon be in freefall then.
You are correct, the Israeli economy is seriously impacted by peoples revulsion at the criminality of Israels policy toward Palestine
Now that Governments, including our own, are warning companies about the illegality of the Israeli settlements, the bottom is falling out of the market. The Trade from illegal Israeli settlements in the Jordan valley fell by 14% last year. The boycott is biting hard on racist Israel, and the campaign has just started.
You live in a dream world my friend, have you not noticed that most spokespersons in Israel have American accents. So the economy will never be affected to any degree. Uncle Sam will see to that. Ps don't include Obama in any of the equations. He makes Jimmy Carter look exiting.
[quote][p][bold]Jonothon[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pinza-C55[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gwen4me[/bold] wrote: I am not buying any goods that have any Israeli connection.[/p][/quote]The Israeli economy will soon be in freefall then.[/p][/quote]You are correct, the Israeli economy is seriously impacted by peoples revulsion at the criminality of Israels policy toward Palestine Now that Governments, including our own, are warning companies about the illegality of the Israeli settlements, the bottom is falling out of the market. The Trade from illegal Israeli settlements in the Jordan valley fell by 14% last year. The boycott is biting hard on racist Israel, and the campaign has just started.[/p][/quote]You live in a dream world my friend, have you not noticed that most spokespersons in Israel have American accents. So the economy will never be affected to any degree. Uncle Sam will see to that. Ps don't include Obama in any of the equations. He makes Jimmy Carter look exiting. julia brica
  • Score: 3

5:44pm Mon 21 Jul 14

gwen4me says...

Quite a good turnout for the march!
Quite a good turnout for the march! gwen4me
  • Score: 1

9:00pm Mon 21 Jul 14

Pinza-C55 says...

gwen4me wrote:
Quite a good turnout for the march!
Has Israel capitulated yet or will a further march be required ?
[quote][p][bold]gwen4me[/bold] wrote: Quite a good turnout for the march![/p][/quote]Has Israel capitulated yet or will a further march be required ? Pinza-C55
  • Score: -2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree