Forward thinking is needed for city

York Sustainable Development Project  previously called for Stonebow House to be converted into apartments, restaurants, bars and shops.

York Sustainable Development Project previously called for Stonebow House to be converted into apartments, restaurants, bars and shops.

First published in Letters by

IT WAS with great interest that members of York Sustainable Development Project read the article in last Friday’s edition of The Press regarding the transformation of the Aviva building from offices to 47 apartments.

Finally, the penny has dropped.

In February this year our group called for a similar transformation of Stonebow House when we said: “The use of Stonebow House can be converted into a mixture of executive and affordable apartments, restaurants, bars, and shops.”

Also the size of the Aviva building is only 1,000 square feet less than Stonebow House. The developer of the Aviva building is obviously going to make a profit from the project, so why can’t the council do something similar?

If York is to become a truly sustainable city then land, buildings, green spaces and how we use them needs to be considered properly and may we say “radically”. York is not only about the past and present, it is obviously about the future, let planners and councillors have the foresight to bring forward sustainable decisions that enhance the lives of the citizens of York.

Gordon Campbell-Thomas, Chairperson, York Sustainable Development Project, Grosvenor Terrace, York

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:45pm Thu 19 Jun 14

Jonothon says...

Boiled down to it's essentials, Gordon's suggestion seems to be to try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

It won't work Gordon, face it, it's ugly.
Boiled down to it's essentials, Gordon's suggestion seems to be to try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. It won't work Gordon, face it, it's ugly. Jonothon
  • Score: 14

4:53pm Thu 19 Jun 14

imassey says...

Tell me, Gordon, are you aware that music venues up and down the country are being threatened with closure because people move into residential properties nearby and then complain that the venues, which they knew were there, are too loud?

If you are, I can only assume that your proposal includes the closure of Fingers and The Duchess, thus reducing, rather than enhancing, the enjoyment available to a number of citizens.
Tell me, Gordon, are you aware that music venues up and down the country are being threatened with closure because people move into residential properties nearby and then complain that the venues, which they knew were there, are too loud? If you are, I can only assume that your proposal includes the closure of Fingers and The Duchess, thus reducing, rather than enhancing, the enjoyment available to a number of citizens. imassey
  • Score: 14

5:08pm Thu 19 Jun 14

imassey says...

imassey wrote:
Tell me, Gordon, are you aware that music venues up and down the country are being threatened with closure because people move into residential properties nearby and then complain that the venues, which they knew were there, are too loud?

If you are, I can only assume that your proposal includes the closure of Fingers and The Duchess, thus reducing, rather than enhancing, the enjoyment available to a number of citizens.
Fibbers, obviously, stupid auto-correct...
[quote][p][bold]imassey[/bold] wrote: Tell me, Gordon, are you aware that music venues up and down the country are being threatened with closure because people move into residential properties nearby and then complain that the venues, which they knew were there, are too loud? If you are, I can only assume that your proposal includes the closure of Fingers and The Duchess, thus reducing, rather than enhancing, the enjoyment available to a number of citizens.[/p][/quote]Fibbers, obviously, stupid auto-correct... imassey
  • Score: 4

6:20pm Thu 19 Jun 14

Pinza-C55 says...

If the word "sustainable" was a solid object I could advise the letter writer on places where the sun doesn't shine and how to place it there.
If the word "sustainable" was a solid object I could advise the letter writer on places where the sun doesn't shine and how to place it there. Pinza-C55
  • Score: 14

11:45pm Thu 19 Jun 14

who2believe says...

"York Sustainable Development Project, Grosvenor Terrace, York"?
Have you ever goggled 'Sustainable Development', It's UN agenda 21, an Orwellian nightmare.
Who are you?
Where does your funding come from?
Do you have any sort of a mandate?
I don't have a problem with you expressing your view or your right to speak your mind, in fact I welcome it: but I don't like the implied power of a representative body that it seems to me does not represent anyone but your like minded friends. I do hope my taxes are not being funnelled to your organisation.
You mention 'Green Spaces', an amenity I do approve of, but York is the meanest city I know of when open spaces for citizens are counted. Every little piece of land within York is fair game for more bricks; when are we going to have good sized 'Village Green' status open parks granted to us citizens with every development approval? That's the future to be planned out, not cobbling the past to re-pile more bricks, tackle the tough stuff and you will get my support.
"York Sustainable Development Project, Grosvenor Terrace, York"? Have you ever goggled 'Sustainable Development', It's UN agenda 21, an Orwellian nightmare. Who are you? Where does your funding come from? Do you have any sort of a mandate? I don't have a problem with you expressing your view or your right to speak your mind, in fact I welcome it: but I don't like the implied power of a representative body that it seems to me does not represent anyone but your like minded friends. I do hope my taxes are not being funnelled to your organisation. You mention 'Green Spaces', an amenity I do approve of, but York is the meanest city I know of when open spaces for citizens are counted. Every little piece of land within York is fair game for more bricks; when are we going to have good sized 'Village Green' status open parks granted to us citizens with every development approval? That's the future to be planned out, not cobbling the past to re-pile more bricks, tackle the tough stuff and you will get my support. who2believe
  • Score: 7

9:08am Fri 20 Jun 14

Jonothon says...

who2believe wrote:
"York Sustainable Development Project, Grosvenor Terrace, York"?
Have you ever goggled 'Sustainable Development', It's UN agenda 21, an Orwellian nightmare.
Who are you?
Where does your funding come from?
Do you have any sort of a mandate?
I don't have a problem with you expressing your view or your right to speak your mind, in fact I welcome it: but I don't like the implied power of a representative body that it seems to me does not represent anyone but your like minded friends. I do hope my taxes are not being funnelled to your organisation.
You mention 'Green Spaces', an amenity I do approve of, but York is the meanest city I know of when open spaces for citizens are counted. Every little piece of land within York is fair game for more bricks; when are we going to have good sized 'Village Green' status open parks granted to us citizens with every development approval? That's the future to be planned out, not cobbling the past to re-pile more bricks, tackle the tough stuff and you will get my support.
What an over the top and totally intolerant and authoritarian posting.

Anyone can see from my first posting that I disagree with the letter writer, but not as much as I disagree with anyone who would batter him into silence.

Keep coming up with ideas Gordon, I think the idea of a Sustainable Development group is great. Any public spirited interest in the future of our city is welcome, and people who freely give of their time to such a project are worthy of our thanks, even if they get it wrong sometimes.
[quote][p][bold]who2believe[/bold] wrote: "York Sustainable Development Project, Grosvenor Terrace, York"? Have you ever goggled 'Sustainable Development', It's UN agenda 21, an Orwellian nightmare. Who are you? Where does your funding come from? Do you have any sort of a mandate? I don't have a problem with you expressing your view or your right to speak your mind, in fact I welcome it: but I don't like the implied power of a representative body that it seems to me does not represent anyone but your like minded friends. I do hope my taxes are not being funnelled to your organisation. You mention 'Green Spaces', an amenity I do approve of, but York is the meanest city I know of when open spaces for citizens are counted. Every little piece of land within York is fair game for more bricks; when are we going to have good sized 'Village Green' status open parks granted to us citizens with every development approval? That's the future to be planned out, not cobbling the past to re-pile more bricks, tackle the tough stuff and you will get my support.[/p][/quote]What an over the top and totally intolerant and authoritarian posting. Anyone can see from my first posting that I disagree with the letter writer, but not as much as I disagree with anyone who would batter him into silence. Keep coming up with ideas Gordon, I think the idea of a Sustainable Development group is great. Any public spirited interest in the future of our city is welcome, and people who freely give of their time to such a project are worthy of our thanks, even if they get it wrong sometimes. Jonothon
  • Score: -6

12:09pm Fri 20 Jun 14

Fat Harry says...

What's in it for Gordon?
What's in it for Gordon? Fat Harry
  • Score: 5

2:17pm Fri 20 Jun 14

sheps lad says...

Fat Harry wrote:
What's in it for Gordon?
I usually put tonic water in mine!
[quote][p][bold]Fat Harry[/bold] wrote: What's in it for Gordon?[/p][/quote]I usually put tonic water in mine! sheps lad
  • Score: 5

3:18pm Fri 20 Jun 14

Pinza-C55 says...

Well if you google "York Sustainable Development Project" it comes up with no result so either it is so unimportant that it doesn't have a website or it goes by another name.
The other possibility is that when he says "chairperson" Gordon simply means that he has a favourite chair which he sits in most of the time?
Well if you google "York Sustainable Development Project" it comes up with no result so either it is so unimportant that it doesn't have a website or it goes by another name. The other possibility is that when he says "chairperson" Gordon simply means that he has a favourite chair which he sits in most of the time? Pinza-C55
  • Score: 8

3:41pm Fri 20 Jun 14

who2believe says...

Jonothon wrote:
who2believe wrote:
"York Sustainable Development Project, Grosvenor Terrace, York"?
Have you ever goggled 'Sustainable Development', It's UN agenda 21, an Orwellian nightmare.
Who are you?
Where does your funding come from?
Do you have any sort of a mandate?
I don't have a problem with you expressing your view or your right to speak your mind, in fact I welcome it: but I don't like the implied power of a representative body that it seems to me does not represent anyone but your like minded friends. I do hope my taxes are not being funnelled to your organisation.
You mention 'Green Spaces', an amenity I do approve of, but York is the meanest city I know of when open spaces for citizens are counted. Every little piece of land within York is fair game for more bricks; when are we going to have good sized 'Village Green' status open parks granted to us citizens with every development approval? That's the future to be planned out, not cobbling the past to re-pile more bricks, tackle the tough stuff and you will get my support.
What an over the top and totally intolerant and authoritarian posting.

Anyone can see from my first posting that I disagree with the letter writer, but not as much as I disagree with anyone who would batter him into silence.

Keep coming up with ideas Gordon, I think the idea of a Sustainable Development group is great. Any public spirited interest in the future of our city is welcome, and people who freely give of their time to such a project are worthy of our thanks, even if they get it wrong sometimes.
I did not reply to an individual; I never mentioned his name. I replied to the spokesman of a political pressure group who's viewpoint I don't agree with and who's wider world views scare me.
[quote][p][bold]Jonothon[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]who2believe[/bold] wrote: "York Sustainable Development Project, Grosvenor Terrace, York"? Have you ever goggled 'Sustainable Development', It's UN agenda 21, an Orwellian nightmare. Who are you? Where does your funding come from? Do you have any sort of a mandate? I don't have a problem with you expressing your view or your right to speak your mind, in fact I welcome it: but I don't like the implied power of a representative body that it seems to me does not represent anyone but your like minded friends. I do hope my taxes are not being funnelled to your organisation. You mention 'Green Spaces', an amenity I do approve of, but York is the meanest city I know of when open spaces for citizens are counted. Every little piece of land within York is fair game for more bricks; when are we going to have good sized 'Village Green' status open parks granted to us citizens with every development approval? That's the future to be planned out, not cobbling the past to re-pile more bricks, tackle the tough stuff and you will get my support.[/p][/quote]What an over the top and totally intolerant and authoritarian posting. Anyone can see from my first posting that I disagree with the letter writer, but not as much as I disagree with anyone who would batter him into silence. Keep coming up with ideas Gordon, I think the idea of a Sustainable Development group is great. Any public spirited interest in the future of our city is welcome, and people who freely give of their time to such a project are worthy of our thanks, even if they get it wrong sometimes.[/p][/quote]I did not reply to an individual; I never mentioned his name. I replied to the spokesman of a political pressure group who's viewpoint I don't agree with and who's wider world views scare me. who2believe
  • Score: 5

12:01am Mon 23 Jun 14

inthesticks says...

Jonothon wrote:
who2believe wrote:
"York Sustainable Development Project, Grosvenor Terrace, York"?
Have you ever goggled 'Sustainable Development', It's UN agenda 21, an Orwellian nightmare.
Who are you?
Where does your funding come from?
Do you have any sort of a mandate?
I don't have a problem with you expressing your view or your right to speak your mind, in fact I welcome it: but I don't like the implied power of a representative body that it seems to me does not represent anyone but your like minded friends. I do hope my taxes are not being funnelled to your organisation.
You mention 'Green Spaces', an amenity I do approve of, but York is the meanest city I know of when open spaces for citizens are counted. Every little piece of land within York is fair game for more bricks; when are we going to have good sized 'Village Green' status open parks granted to us citizens with every development approval? That's the future to be planned out, not cobbling the past to re-pile more bricks, tackle the tough stuff and you will get my support.
What an over the top and totally intolerant and authoritarian posting.

Anyone can see from my first posting that I disagree with the letter writer, but not as much as I disagree with anyone who would batter him into silence.

Keep coming up with ideas Gordon, I think the idea of a Sustainable Development group is great. Any public spirited interest in the future of our city is welcome, and people who freely give of their time to such a project are worthy of our thanks, even if they get it wrong sometimes.
I didn`t think it was intolerant and authoritarian, I though he/she made good points and asked some valid questions. How do you know their interest is `public spirited`? That could be a bit naive. If you don`t mind me saying so, that is.
[quote][p][bold]Jonothon[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]who2believe[/bold] wrote: "York Sustainable Development Project, Grosvenor Terrace, York"? Have you ever goggled 'Sustainable Development', It's UN agenda 21, an Orwellian nightmare. Who are you? Where does your funding come from? Do you have any sort of a mandate? I don't have a problem with you expressing your view or your right to speak your mind, in fact I welcome it: but I don't like the implied power of a representative body that it seems to me does not represent anyone but your like minded friends. I do hope my taxes are not being funnelled to your organisation. You mention 'Green Spaces', an amenity I do approve of, but York is the meanest city I know of when open spaces for citizens are counted. Every little piece of land within York is fair game for more bricks; when are we going to have good sized 'Village Green' status open parks granted to us citizens with every development approval? That's the future to be planned out, not cobbling the past to re-pile more bricks, tackle the tough stuff and you will get my support.[/p][/quote]What an over the top and totally intolerant and authoritarian posting. Anyone can see from my first posting that I disagree with the letter writer, but not as much as I disagree with anyone who would batter him into silence. Keep coming up with ideas Gordon, I think the idea of a Sustainable Development group is great. Any public spirited interest in the future of our city is welcome, and people who freely give of their time to such a project are worthy of our thanks, even if they get it wrong sometimes.[/p][/quote]I didn`t think it was intolerant and authoritarian, I though he/she made good points and asked some valid questions. How do you know their interest is `public spirited`? That could be a bit naive. If you don`t mind me saying so, that is. inthesticks
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree