Putin is running rings around us all

York Press: Putin is running rings around us all Putin is running rings around us all

WOULD Christian Vassie concede (The Press, April 23) that, without the overthrow of a democratically elected government in Kiev, the situation we see now in eastern Ukraine would not exist?

Would he also allow that the uprising in Kiev was encouraged and abetted by the West and, most significantly by the European Union?

From Hilary Clinton to the over-promoted Baroness Ashton, the rioters in Kiev, some of whom are of dubious political affiliation, were incited to revolution with the prospect of closer ties to and eventual membership of the EU, regardless of the sensibilities of Russia.

The trouble with western politicians is that they are lacking in foresight, despite numerous examples of what these uprisings can lead to. Witness the Arab Spring which Cameron, Obama and the EU were so enthusiastic about.

We hear nothing now about Libya and Egypt, both of which are in turmoil, and arguably in a worse state than they were under the previous regimes.

The western world deserves better leadership and the less influence the EU has on these matters the better.

At the moment Putin is running rings round us and the tragedy is that we handed him this situation on a plate.

Isobel McCloud, Huntington Road, York.

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:01pm Thu 1 May 14

Pinza-C55 says...

Putin isn't "running rings round us". We have no interest in the Ukraine or any of the countries mentioned.
Putin isn't "running rings round us". We have no interest in the Ukraine or any of the countries mentioned. Pinza-C55
  • Score: 2

1:58pm Thu 1 May 14

RobGT81 says...

Pinza-C55 wrote:
Putin isn't "running rings round us". We have no interest in the Ukraine or any of the countries mentioned.
Is that why there is a massive build up of Western military in the area? Of course we care about the oil and gas in Ukraine and Russia.

Putin knows exactly how to play the Western leaders, who have been shown as the cowardly, spineless embarrassments they really are.
[quote][p][bold]Pinza-C55[/bold] wrote: Putin isn't "running rings round us". We have no interest in the Ukraine or any of the countries mentioned.[/p][/quote]Is that why there is a massive build up of Western military in the area? Of course we care about the oil and gas in Ukraine and Russia. Putin knows exactly how to play the Western leaders, who have been shown as the cowardly, spineless embarrassments they really are. RobGT81
  • Score: 0

2:37pm Thu 1 May 14

TheTruthHurts says...

Its probably best if Christian Vassie doesnt comment on politically driven land grabs and boundary disputes as we all know what his stance is on this :-)
Its probably best if Christian Vassie doesnt comment on politically driven land grabs and boundary disputes as we all know what his stance is on this :-) TheTruthHurts
  • Score: 4

3:44pm Thu 1 May 14

Pinza-C55 says...

RobGT81 wrote:
Pinza-C55 wrote:
Putin isn't "running rings round us". We have no interest in the Ukraine or any of the countries mentioned.
Is that why there is a massive build up of Western military in the area? Of course we care about the oil and gas in Ukraine and Russia.

Putin knows exactly how to play the Western leaders, who have been shown as the cowardly, spineless embarrassments they really are.
Personally I don't care about the oil or gas. I certainly don't care to be involved in yet another pointless foreign war which is none of my concern.
[quote][p][bold]RobGT81[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pinza-C55[/bold] wrote: Putin isn't "running rings round us". We have no interest in the Ukraine or any of the countries mentioned.[/p][/quote]Is that why there is a massive build up of Western military in the area? Of course we care about the oil and gas in Ukraine and Russia. Putin knows exactly how to play the Western leaders, who have been shown as the cowardly, spineless embarrassments they really are.[/p][/quote]Personally I don't care about the oil or gas. I certainly don't care to be involved in yet another pointless foreign war which is none of my concern. Pinza-C55
  • Score: 3

7:41am Fri 2 May 14

RobGT81 says...

Pinza-C55 wrote:
RobGT81 wrote:
Pinza-C55 wrote:
Putin isn't "running rings round us". We have no interest in the Ukraine or any of the countries mentioned.
Is that why there is a massive build up of Western military in the area? Of course we care about the oil and gas in Ukraine and Russia.

Putin knows exactly how to play the Western leaders, who have been shown as the cowardly, spineless embarrassments they really are.
Personally I don't care about the oil or gas. I certainly don't care to be involved in yet another pointless foreign war which is none of my concern.
That's fair enough, just go about your life without worrying about it then if you don't care.

If our oil and gas gets switched off, if more democratically elected governments are over thrown or if the whole thing turns into WW3 then come back and tell us how much you don't care about the situation.
[quote][p][bold]Pinza-C55[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RobGT81[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pinza-C55[/bold] wrote: Putin isn't "running rings round us". We have no interest in the Ukraine or any of the countries mentioned.[/p][/quote]Is that why there is a massive build up of Western military in the area? Of course we care about the oil and gas in Ukraine and Russia. Putin knows exactly how to play the Western leaders, who have been shown as the cowardly, spineless embarrassments they really are.[/p][/quote]Personally I don't care about the oil or gas. I certainly don't care to be involved in yet another pointless foreign war which is none of my concern.[/p][/quote]That's fair enough, just go about your life without worrying about it then if you don't care. If our oil and gas gets switched off, if more democratically elected governments are over thrown or if the whole thing turns into WW3 then come back and tell us how much you don't care about the situation. RobGT81
  • Score: 0

11:16am Fri 2 May 14

Pinza-C55 says...

RobGT81 wrote:
Pinza-C55 wrote:
RobGT81 wrote:
Pinza-C55 wrote:
Putin isn't "running rings round us". We have no interest in the Ukraine or any of the countries mentioned.
Is that why there is a massive build up of Western military in the area? Of course we care about the oil and gas in Ukraine and Russia.

Putin knows exactly how to play the Western leaders, who have been shown as the cowardly, spineless embarrassments they really are.
Personally I don't care about the oil or gas. I certainly don't care to be involved in yet another pointless foreign war which is none of my concern.
That's fair enough, just go about your life without worrying about it then if you don't care.

If our oil and gas gets switched off, if more democratically elected governments are over thrown or if the whole thing turns into WW3 then come back and tell us how much you don't care about the situation.
"That's fair enough, just go about your life without worrying about it then if you don't care."
I will, and do. However I do care when other people try to drag my country into a war which is, in my opinion, none of it's concern. Whatever the outcome of the Ukraine conflict the oil and gas will still be there and the owners will still need to sell it. If we are not involved we can deal with either side. If they turn the taps off we still have 100 years worth of coal under our feet - we used to be self sufficient and could be again.
"if the whole thing turns into WW3"
That would mean nuclear war in which case neither you or I would be able to say anything since Russia has enough nukes to wipe us off the face off the Earth. Another reason not get involved.
[quote][p][bold]RobGT81[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pinza-C55[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RobGT81[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pinza-C55[/bold] wrote: Putin isn't "running rings round us". We have no interest in the Ukraine or any of the countries mentioned.[/p][/quote]Is that why there is a massive build up of Western military in the area? Of course we care about the oil and gas in Ukraine and Russia. Putin knows exactly how to play the Western leaders, who have been shown as the cowardly, spineless embarrassments they really are.[/p][/quote]Personally I don't care about the oil or gas. I certainly don't care to be involved in yet another pointless foreign war which is none of my concern.[/p][/quote]That's fair enough, just go about your life without worrying about it then if you don't care. If our oil and gas gets switched off, if more democratically elected governments are over thrown or if the whole thing turns into WW3 then come back and tell us how much you don't care about the situation.[/p][/quote]"That's fair enough, just go about your life without worrying about it then if you don't care." I will, and do. However I do care when other people try to drag my country into a war which is, in my opinion, none of it's concern. Whatever the outcome of the Ukraine conflict the oil and gas will still be there and the owners will still need to sell it. If we are not involved we can deal with either side. If they turn the taps off we still have 100 years worth of coal under our feet - we used to be self sufficient and could be again. "if the whole thing turns into WW3" That would mean nuclear war in which case neither you or I would be able to say anything since Russia has enough nukes to wipe us off the face off the Earth. Another reason not get involved. Pinza-C55
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree