Who’s to blame in flooding shame?

Floodwater is pumped into the River Parrett at the Saltmoor Pumping Station near Burrowbridge in Somerset last month

Floodwater is pumped into the River Parrett at the Saltmoor Pumping Station near Burrowbridge in Somerset last month

First published in Letters by

WHILE I acknowledge that the floods are due mainly to the extreme weather conditions, there are a minority of people – known as the “We Know Better Than You Brigade” – who must accept a deal of responsibility and in future bow down to the knowledge of experience.

These people have created a compost heap in their garden and think it gives them the right to run the environment.

A few years ago the farmers knew where to plant the hedges, where to dig the ditches and the dykes, when to clean them out and when to dredge the rivers, and all this worked.

Along come the useless do-gooders and the knowledge of the country people is ignored because they think they are better at saving the environment.

In the past, water creatures, animals and birds quickly adapted to the features that were man-made on an annual basis due to remedial works. We now see dozens of species of wildlife on the brink of extinction due to these do-gooders and also floodwaters that could have been reduced by the methods of different generations.

These people should hang their heads in shame.

TJ Ryder, Priory Gardens, North Lane, Dringhouses, York.

 

• Everyone, on reading the various letters concerning the floods, is so keen to blame the Government or the Environment Agency for bad river management. The blame lays squarely with the EU Commissioners, who have issued directives that are made to never mind anything but the protection of wildlife and creating natural habitats for every creature other than man.

Unless we treat rules like this with the Gallic shrug and ignore them, we will be in the same pickle for years to come.

David Marsh, Millfield Lane, York.

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:05pm Sat 15 Feb 14

pedalling paul says...

And I thought that it was down to too much car use.........
And I thought that it was down to too much car use......... pedalling paul
  • Score: -16

1:29pm Sat 15 Feb 14

Buzzz Light-year says...

"Brigade" "Do-gooders"
Terrible letter.
"Brigade" "Do-gooders" Terrible letter. Buzzz Light-year
  • Score: -1

2:57pm Sat 15 Feb 14

Sillybillies says...

Buzzz Light-year wrote:
"Brigade" "Do-gooders"
Terrible letter.
You really must find someone who can explain to you in simple terms what letters like the above mean. Clearly you are too thick to understand. Both letters make very good points.
[quote][p][bold]Buzzz Light-year[/bold] wrote: "Brigade" "Do-gooders" Terrible letter.[/p][/quote]You really must find someone who can explain to you in simple terms what letters like the above mean. Clearly you are too thick to understand. Both letters make very good points. Sillybillies
  • Score: -1

3:34pm Sat 15 Feb 14

York Fox says...

If I believed in god, I would be blaming him for the record breaking rainfall, high winds and tidal surges punishing Britain. As I don't believe in such silliness, I will simply say that the vagaries of nature have combined in an unfortunate way, but be happy that it is a rare event.

There is only so much politicians, EA leaders or European bureaucrats can do - we really don't need to apportion blame for everything!
If I believed in god, I would be blaming him for the record breaking rainfall, high winds and tidal surges punishing Britain. As I don't believe in such silliness, I will simply say that the vagaries of nature have combined in an unfortunate way, but be happy that it is a rare event. There is only so much politicians, EA leaders or European bureaucrats can do - we really don't need to apportion blame for everything! York Fox
  • Score: 166

4:43pm Sat 15 Feb 14

ColdAsChristmas says...

Two xcellent letters. Remember £31 Million for a bird sanctuary but couldn't find £5 Million to dredge the rivers.
Booze up in a brewery job if you ask me.......
Two xcellent letters. Remember £31 Million for a bird sanctuary but couldn't find £5 Million to dredge the rivers. Booze up in a brewery job if you ask me....... ColdAsChristmas
  • Score: -1572

9:05pm Sat 15 Feb 14

Buzzz Light-year says...

Sillybillies wrote:
Buzzz Light-year wrote:
"Brigade" "Do-gooders"
Terrible letter.
You really must find someone who can explain to you in simple terms what letters like the above mean. Clearly you are too thick to understand. Both letters make very good points.
And you could find someone else to harass.

Then you could find someone who can explain to you the difference between understanding what a letter means and feeling distaste at sloppy, cheap and poor writing style.

Then you could stop insulting people with words like thick.
Everything you have ever posted tells anyone who reads it who is thick and it's not me.
[quote][p][bold]Sillybillies[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Buzzz Light-year[/bold] wrote: "Brigade" "Do-gooders" Terrible letter.[/p][/quote]You really must find someone who can explain to you in simple terms what letters like the above mean. Clearly you are too thick to understand. Both letters make very good points.[/p][/quote]And you could find someone else to harass. Then you could find someone who can explain to you the difference between understanding what a letter means and feeling distaste at sloppy, cheap and poor writing style. Then you could stop insulting people with words like thick. Everything you have ever posted tells anyone who reads it who is thick and it's not me. Buzzz Light-year
  • Score: 223

4:34am Sun 16 Feb 14

Magicman! says...

York Fox wrote:
If I believed in god, I would be blaming him for the record breaking rainfall, high winds and tidal surges punishing Britain. As I don't believe in such silliness, I will simply say that the vagaries of nature have combined in an unfortunate way, but be happy that it is a rare event.

There is only so much politicians, EA leaders or European bureaucrats can do - we really don't need to apportion blame for everything!
EVen if you did believe in God, do you really think the being that created humans (if that is your belief) would get pleasure willfully inflicting misery and sorrow to his creations?

No... it's just a game of odds - the dice has rolled and it's come up with Snake Eyes for the south, putting it in a very very simplistic manner.
Also note the position of the Jet Stream over the UK is exactly the same as in summer 2007 when Hull got very bad flooding and somebody died as a resullt.
[quote][p][bold]York Fox[/bold] wrote: If I believed in god, I would be blaming him for the record breaking rainfall, high winds and tidal surges punishing Britain. As I don't believe in such silliness, I will simply say that the vagaries of nature have combined in an unfortunate way, but be happy that it is a rare event. There is only so much politicians, EA leaders or European bureaucrats can do - we really don't need to apportion blame for everything![/p][/quote]EVen if you did believe in God, do you really think the being that created humans (if that is your belief) would get pleasure willfully inflicting misery and sorrow to his creations? No... it's just a game of odds - the dice has rolled and it's come up with Snake Eyes for the south, putting it in a very very simplistic manner. Also note the position of the Jet Stream over the UK is exactly the same as in summer 2007 when Hull got very bad flooding and somebody died as a resullt. Magicman!
  • Score: 6

1:59pm Sun 16 Feb 14

Sillybillies says...

Buzzz Light-year wrote:
Sillybillies wrote:
Buzzz Light-year wrote:
"Brigade" "Do-gooders"
Terrible letter.
You really must find someone who can explain to you in simple terms what letters like the above mean. Clearly you are too thick to understand. Both letters make very good points.
And you could find someone else to harass.

Then you could find someone who can explain to you the difference between understanding what a letter means and feeling distaste at sloppy, cheap and poor writing style.

Then you could stop insulting people with words like thick.
Everything you have ever posted tells anyone who reads it who is thick and it's not me.
Analysing the first letter on paperrater.com , a website used by academics, produces the following comments -
Spelling Suggestions
Spelling: useless do-gooders
Spelling: these do-gooders

Grammar Suggestions
No errors of this type found in the text.

Bad Phrase Score*: 2.551 (lower is better)
*based on the number and quality of trite or inappropriate words, phrases, and cliches found in your paper.
Great job - your score is above average! You know exactly which phrases to avoid in your writing.

Word Choice Suggestions
No errors of this type found in the text.

Transitional Words Score*: 63
*based on quality of transitional phrases used within your paper
Good job! Your usage of transitional phrases is within an acceptable range!

Vocabulary Score: 106
Vocabulary Word Count: 6
Percentage of Vocab Words: 3.96%
Vocabulary Words in this Paper (a Subset): acknowledge, weather, compost, adapted, features, brink
Excellent work! Your usage of sophisticated words is on par with other well-written papers! Nevertheless, you may still wish to use our Vocab Builder to maintain your edge.

(I'm not going to bother checking the second.)

"Sloppy, cheap and poor writing style"?

I think not with these two letters, it's just you taking a cheap shot at them because you can't follow the arrguments. .
[quote][p][bold]Buzzz Light-year[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sillybillies[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Buzzz Light-year[/bold] wrote: "Brigade" "Do-gooders" Terrible letter.[/p][/quote]You really must find someone who can explain to you in simple terms what letters like the above mean. Clearly you are too thick to understand. Both letters make very good points.[/p][/quote]And you could find someone else to harass. Then you could find someone who can explain to you the difference between understanding what a letter means and feeling distaste at sloppy, cheap and poor writing style. Then you could stop insulting people with words like thick. Everything you have ever posted tells anyone who reads it who is thick and it's not me.[/p][/quote]Analysing the first letter on paperrater.com , a website used by academics, produces the following comments - [quote]Spelling Suggestions Spelling: useless do-gooders [suggestions: do-gooder] Spelling: these do-gooders [suggestions: do-gooder] Grammar Suggestions No errors of this type found in the text. Bad Phrase Score*: 2.551 (lower is better) *based on the number and quality of trite or inappropriate words, phrases, and cliches found in your paper. Great job - your score is above average! You know exactly which phrases to avoid in your writing. Word Choice Suggestions No errors of this type found in the text. Transitional Words Score*: 63 *based on quality of transitional phrases used within your paper Good job! Your usage of transitional phrases is within an acceptable range! Vocabulary Score: 106 Vocabulary Word Count: 6 Percentage of Vocab Words: 3.96% Vocabulary Words in this Paper (a Subset): acknowledge, weather, compost, adapted, features, brink Excellent work! Your usage of sophisticated words is on par with other well-written papers! Nevertheless, you may still wish to use our Vocab Builder to maintain your edge.[/quote] (I'm not going to bother checking the second.) "Sloppy, cheap and poor writing style"? I think not with these two letters, it's just you taking a cheap shot at them because you can't follow the arrguments. . Sillybillies
  • Score: -12

11:05pm Sun 16 Feb 14

Buzzz Light-year says...

The King of Fail SillyBillies wrote:
it's just you taking a cheap shot at them because you can't follow the arrguments. .

No. No it isn't. It's me expressing distaste at cheap writing style and lowest common denominator wording and funnily enough, despite your hypocritical invention it's you taking shots at me, which let's face it is 95% of your input to this site.

If you think the first letter is good language and if you think I "can't follow" what's being said then it says a lot about what you're used to reading and the company you keep.

I've asked you to leave me alone so many times - the last thing I want to do is encourage you because you're nasty and quite tedious and when you go too far and do all that malicious reporting stuff it can be a bit annoying but... well, do keep posting because there's nothing better than a self proclaimed fail.
No offence, like.
[quote]The King of Fail SillyBillies wrote: it's just you taking a cheap shot at them because you can't follow the arrguments. .[/quote] No. No it isn't. It's me expressing distaste at cheap writing style and lowest common denominator wording and funnily enough, despite your hypocritical invention it's you taking shots at me, which let's face it is 95% of your input to this site. If you think the first letter is good language and if you think I "can't follow" what's being said then it says a lot about what you're used to reading and the company you keep. I've asked you to leave me alone so many times - the last thing I want to do is encourage you because you're nasty and quite tedious and when you go too far and do all that malicious reporting stuff it can be a bit annoying but... well, do keep posting because there's nothing better than a self proclaimed fail. No offence, like. Buzzz Light-year
  • Score: 12

10:17am Mon 17 Feb 14

Tug job says...

Sillybillies wrote:
Buzzz Light-year wrote:
Sillybillies wrote:
Buzzz Light-year wrote:
"Brigade" "Do-gooders"
Terrible letter.
You really must find someone who can explain to you in simple terms what letters like the above mean. Clearly you are too thick to understand. Both letters make very good points.
And you could find someone else to harass.

Then you could find someone who can explain to you the difference between understanding what a letter means and feeling distaste at sloppy, cheap and poor writing style.

Then you could stop insulting people with words like thick.
Everything you have ever posted tells anyone who reads it who is thick and it's not me.
Analysing the first letter on paperrater.com , a website used by academics, produces the following comments -
Spelling Suggestions
Spelling: useless do-gooders
Spelling: these do-gooders

Grammar Suggestions
No errors of this type found in the text.

Bad Phrase Score*: 2.551 (lower is better)
*based on the number and quality of trite or inappropriate words, phrases, and cliches found in your paper.
Great job - your score is above average! You know exactly which phrases to avoid in your writing.

Word Choice Suggestions
No errors of this type found in the text.

Transitional Words Score*: 63
*based on quality of transitional phrases used within your paper
Good job! Your usage of transitional phrases is within an acceptable range!

Vocabulary Score: 106
Vocabulary Word Count: 6
Percentage of Vocab Words: 3.96%
Vocabulary Words in this Paper (a Subset): acknowledge, weather, compost, adapted, features, brink
Excellent work! Your usage of sophisticated words is on par with other well-written papers! Nevertheless, you may still wish to use our Vocab Builder to maintain your edge.

(I'm not going to bother checking the second.)

"Sloppy, cheap and poor writing style"?

I think not with these two letters, it's just you taking a cheap shot at them because you can't follow the arrguments. .
Used by academics? Perhaps, but not by very good ones.
[quote][p][bold]Sillybillies[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Buzzz Light-year[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sillybillies[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Buzzz Light-year[/bold] wrote: "Brigade" "Do-gooders" Terrible letter.[/p][/quote]You really must find someone who can explain to you in simple terms what letters like the above mean. Clearly you are too thick to understand. Both letters make very good points.[/p][/quote]And you could find someone else to harass. Then you could find someone who can explain to you the difference between understanding what a letter means and feeling distaste at sloppy, cheap and poor writing style. Then you could stop insulting people with words like thick. Everything you have ever posted tells anyone who reads it who is thick and it's not me.[/p][/quote]Analysing the first letter on paperrater.com , a website used by academics, produces the following comments - [quote]Spelling Suggestions Spelling: useless do-gooders [suggestions: do-gooder] Spelling: these do-gooders [suggestions: do-gooder] Grammar Suggestions No errors of this type found in the text. Bad Phrase Score*: 2.551 (lower is better) *based on the number and quality of trite or inappropriate words, phrases, and cliches found in your paper. Great job - your score is above average! You know exactly which phrases to avoid in your writing. Word Choice Suggestions No errors of this type found in the text. Transitional Words Score*: 63 *based on quality of transitional phrases used within your paper Good job! Your usage of transitional phrases is within an acceptable range! Vocabulary Score: 106 Vocabulary Word Count: 6 Percentage of Vocab Words: 3.96% Vocabulary Words in this Paper (a Subset): acknowledge, weather, compost, adapted, features, brink Excellent work! Your usage of sophisticated words is on par with other well-written papers! Nevertheless, you may still wish to use our Vocab Builder to maintain your edge.[/quote] (I'm not going to bother checking the second.) "Sloppy, cheap and poor writing style"? I think not with these two letters, it's just you taking a cheap shot at them because you can't follow the arrguments. .[/p][/quote]Used by academics? Perhaps, but not by very good ones. Tug job
  • Score: 6

10:28am Mon 17 Feb 14

roadwars says...

Two very poor letters that completely miss the point. It is the incessant "management" of the flow of water and restriction of it's movement that is the biggest factor in the flooding. We can't just keep on draining every bit of land through ever narrowing channels.
The first letter states that "farmers knew where to plant hedges" whereas the fact of the matter is most hedges were ripped out to create bigger fields, drainage ditches were built across the fields to make sure they don't hold any water and the soil is replaced frequently due to it ending up in the rivers as a result of the above actions.
Two very poor letters that completely miss the point. It is the incessant "management" of the flow of water and restriction of it's movement that is the biggest factor in the flooding. We can't just keep on draining every bit of land through ever narrowing channels. The first letter states that "farmers knew where to plant hedges" whereas the fact of the matter is most hedges were ripped out to create bigger fields, drainage ditches were built across the fields to make sure they don't hold any water and the soil is replaced frequently due to it ending up in the rivers as a result of the above actions. roadwars
  • Score: 11

7:33am Tue 18 Feb 14

Kroythrundthru says...

Surely we would be better off concentrating our efforts on helping the affected people rather trying to find someone to blame!
Surely we would be better off concentrating our efforts on helping the affected people rather trying to find someone to blame! Kroythrundthru
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree