Leave the horses alone

York Press: Leave the horses alone Leave the horses alone

NOW that the gipsy horses tethered on the verges of the A166 York to Stamford Bridge road seem to have disappeared, I would gamble all England to a hayseed that the next moan from the professional groaners will be the overgrown grasses on the verges of the A166.

All I can say to them is that you have asked for it.

Live and let live, I say. Leave the gipsies and their horses alone and on a dark winter’s night when you are cosy in your centrally heated pads, give them a little thought and stop moaning about the cost of heating.

Ken Holmes, Cliffe Common, Selby.

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:58pm Fri 7 Feb 14

Temburong says...

The Gypsies had tethered their horses there for generations- I remember when they used to bring them for a wash in Warthill pond. It's shameful how prejudice and bigotry towards gypsies and travellers seems acceptable.
The Gypsies had tethered their horses there for generations- I remember when they used to bring them for a wash in Warthill pond. It's shameful how prejudice and bigotry towards gypsies and travellers seems acceptable. Temburong
  • Score: -21

3:27pm Fri 7 Feb 14

Night Moves says...

For one I find long grass much less of a road safety hazard than horses wandering around the carriageway. It does not matter who they belong to - they should not be there.
For one I find long grass much less of a road safety hazard than horses wandering around the carriageway. It does not matter who they belong to - they should not be there. Night Moves
  • Score: 19

3:36pm Fri 7 Feb 14

BL2 says...

Good riddance to them! Stick them in a field somewhere safe. Overgrown verges are definitely preferable and much better for wildlife and wildflowers anyway!
Good riddance to them! Stick them in a field somewhere safe. Overgrown verges are definitely preferable and much better for wildlife and wildflowers anyway! BL2
  • Score: 16

5:31pm Fri 7 Feb 14

Ichabod76 says...

Temburong wrote:
The Gypsies had tethered their horses there for generations- I remember when they used to bring them for a wash in Warthill pond. It's shameful how prejudice and bigotry towards gypsies and travellers seems acceptable.
If Gypsies showed other people the courtesy and respect they demand for themselves, then their wouldn't be a problem.
[quote][p][bold]Temburong[/bold] wrote: The Gypsies had tethered their horses there for generations- I remember when they used to bring them for a wash in Warthill pond. It's shameful how prejudice and bigotry towards gypsies and travellers seems acceptable.[/p][/quote]If Gypsies showed other people the courtesy and respect they demand for themselves, then their wouldn't be a problem. Ichabod76
  • Score: 17

8:56am Sat 8 Feb 14

Kroythrundthru says...

I do wonder what would be the reaction if a non-gypsie horse owner tethered a horse or horses on such lush green verges.
Would they be fined and charged with neglect by the local council and the RSPCA ? I think they might.
I personally find it disturbing to see horses tethered with just a small area of grass to feed on. Horses in my opinion should be able to roam free in fields and take shelter from the elements.
They should not be tethered, the fact that they belong to Gypsies should have no baring on thier welfare.
I do wonder what would be the reaction if a non-gypsie horse owner tethered a horse or horses on such lush green verges. Would they be fined and charged with neglect by the local council and the RSPCA ? I think they might. I personally find it disturbing to see horses tethered with just a small area of grass to feed on. Horses in my opinion should be able to roam free in fields and take shelter from the elements. They should not be tethered, the fact that they belong to Gypsies should have no baring on thier welfare. Kroythrundthru
  • Score: 8

12:16am Sun 9 Feb 14

Temburong says...

Ichabod76 wrote:
Temburong wrote:
The Gypsies had tethered their horses there for generations- I remember when they used to bring them for a wash in Warthill pond. It's shameful how prejudice and bigotry towards gypsies and travellers seems acceptable.
If Gypsies showed other people the courtesy and respect they demand for themselves, then their wouldn't be a problem.
- Mmm- You do say ' Gypsies'- rather than say - ' Some Gypsies'- or perhaps you have been ripped off or disrespected by a someone who was a Gypsy - obviously there are are going to be some Gypsies who do that- just as there are in any section of the population - I've met lovely gypsy people and some bad uns just like with most people. Welsh.. Arabic. . whatever's I 've met. BUT there does seem to be lazy bigotry creeping in- I've been ripped off by a Gypsy roofer- I've worked on building sites with some of the most genuine, friendly and honest lads( gypsies) I've met.. Daily Mail etc never picks up on any positive stories- Lazy Stereotypes- The actual letter was about horses on verges - the poo is good for the wildflowers etc- Can't think there's been many examples of horses on the road- there was a bull broke out of a farmer's field a few years ago that caused a bit of a delay on the A64- Helicopters were involved-! It's the countryside - that's what happens- My family have farmed a few miles East of York for generations and in the old days had the same Gypsy families working on the harvest for generations- When I drive along the A116 with my Granddaughters they love to see the horses- like I have always done since being a young lad- generations- wish they could see the gypsy horses having a bath in Warthill pond- I remember that sense of magic- see it in those children- they treat everyone the same.I'm a middle-aged man now - inevitably a bit battered by life but I shall never judge people by lazy stereotypes- Well mainly because it's SO BORING ;-)
[quote][p][bold]Ichabod76[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Temburong[/bold] wrote: The Gypsies had tethered their horses there for generations- I remember when they used to bring them for a wash in Warthill pond. It's shameful how prejudice and bigotry towards gypsies and travellers seems acceptable.[/p][/quote]If Gypsies showed other people the courtesy and respect they demand for themselves, then their wouldn't be a problem.[/p][/quote]- Mmm- You do say ' Gypsies'- rather than say - ' Some Gypsies'- or perhaps you have been ripped off or disrespected by a someone who was a Gypsy - obviously there are are going to be some Gypsies who do that- just as there are in any section of the population - I've met lovely gypsy people and some bad uns just like with most people. Welsh.. Arabic. . whatever's I 've met. BUT there does seem to be lazy bigotry creeping in- I've been ripped off by a Gypsy roofer- I've worked on building sites with some of the most genuine, friendly and honest lads( gypsies) I've met.. Daily Mail etc never picks up on any positive stories- Lazy Stereotypes- The actual letter was about horses on verges - the poo is good for the wildflowers etc- Can't think there's been many examples of horses on the road- there was a bull broke out of a farmer's field a few years ago that caused a bit of a delay on the A64- Helicopters were involved-! It's the countryside - that's what happens- My family have farmed a few miles East of York for generations and in the old days had the same Gypsy families working on the harvest for generations- When I drive along the A116 with my Granddaughters they love to see the horses- like I have always done since being a young lad- generations- wish they could see the gypsy horses having a bath in Warthill pond- I remember that sense of magic- see it in those children- they treat everyone the same.I'm a middle-aged man now - inevitably a bit battered by life but I shall never judge people by lazy stereotypes- Well mainly because it's SO BORING ;-) Temburong
  • Score: -7

1:14am Sun 9 Feb 14

Ageing Hippy says...

Temburong wrote:
Ichabod76 wrote:
Temburong wrote:
The Gypsies had tethered their horses there for generations- I remember when they used to bring them for a wash in Warthill pond. It's shameful how prejudice and bigotry towards gypsies and travellers seems acceptable.
If Gypsies showed other people the courtesy and respect they demand for themselves, then their wouldn't be a problem.
- Mmm- You do say ' Gypsies'- rather than say - ' Some Gypsies'- or perhaps you have been ripped off or disrespected by a someone who was a Gypsy - obviously there are are going to be some Gypsies who do that- just as there are in any section of the population - I've met lovely gypsy people and some bad uns just like with most people. Welsh.. Arabic. . whatever's I 've met. BUT there does seem to be lazy bigotry creeping in- I've been ripped off by a Gypsy roofer- I've worked on building sites with some of the most genuine, friendly and honest lads( gypsies) I've met.. Daily Mail etc never picks up on any positive stories- Lazy Stereotypes- The actual letter was about horses on verges - the poo is good for the wildflowers etc- Can't think there's been many examples of horses on the road- there was a bull broke out of a farmer's field a few years ago that caused a bit of a delay on the A64- Helicopters were involved-! It's the countryside - that's what happens- My family have farmed a few miles East of York for generations and in the old days had the same Gypsy families working on the harvest for generations- When I drive along the A116 with my Granddaughters they love to see the horses- like I have always done since being a young lad- generations- wish they could see the gypsy horses having a bath in Warthill pond- I remember that sense of magic- see it in those children- they treat everyone the same.I'm a middle-aged man now - inevitably a bit battered by life but I shall never judge people by lazy stereotypes- Well mainly because it's SO BORING ;-)
Can't think there's been many examples of horses on the road?? what about the ones that wrote the vehicles off on the A166 near Holtby on 2 separate occasions when they broke free from there CRUEL tethers, horses should be in a field NOT tied up at the side of the road on a chain, I can't help thinking that this posters surname is Smith!!!
[quote][p][bold]Temburong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ichabod76[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Temburong[/bold] wrote: The Gypsies had tethered their horses there for generations- I remember when they used to bring them for a wash in Warthill pond. It's shameful how prejudice and bigotry towards gypsies and travellers seems acceptable.[/p][/quote]If Gypsies showed other people the courtesy and respect they demand for themselves, then their wouldn't be a problem.[/p][/quote]- Mmm- You do say ' Gypsies'- rather than say - ' Some Gypsies'- or perhaps you have been ripped off or disrespected by a someone who was a Gypsy - obviously there are are going to be some Gypsies who do that- just as there are in any section of the population - I've met lovely gypsy people and some bad uns just like with most people. Welsh.. Arabic. . whatever's I 've met. BUT there does seem to be lazy bigotry creeping in- I've been ripped off by a Gypsy roofer- I've worked on building sites with some of the most genuine, friendly and honest lads( gypsies) I've met.. Daily Mail etc never picks up on any positive stories- Lazy Stereotypes- The actual letter was about horses on verges - the poo is good for the wildflowers etc- Can't think there's been many examples of horses on the road- there was a bull broke out of a farmer's field a few years ago that caused a bit of a delay on the A64- Helicopters were involved-! It's the countryside - that's what happens- My family have farmed a few miles East of York for generations and in the old days had the same Gypsy families working on the harvest for generations- When I drive along the A116 with my Granddaughters they love to see the horses- like I have always done since being a young lad- generations- wish they could see the gypsy horses having a bath in Warthill pond- I remember that sense of magic- see it in those children- they treat everyone the same.I'm a middle-aged man now - inevitably a bit battered by life but I shall never judge people by lazy stereotypes- Well mainly because it's SO BORING ;-)[/p][/quote]Can't think there's been many examples of horses on the road?? what about the ones that wrote the vehicles off on the A166 near Holtby on 2 separate occasions when they broke free from there CRUEL tethers, horses should be in a field NOT tied up at the side of the road on a chain, I can't help thinking that this posters surname is Smith!!! Ageing Hippy
  • Score: 5

7:38am Sun 9 Feb 14

anistasia says...

Some horses are tied up too close to the road and end up on it .if the people wanting to keep the horses near the road side hit one in their car they might think different.again some horses somewhere else got on the road again since this story was published.
Some horses are tied up too close to the road and end up on it .if the people wanting to keep the horses near the road side hit one in their car they might think different.again some horses somewhere else got on the road again since this story was published. anistasia
  • Score: 5

1:38pm Mon 10 Feb 14

Temburong says...

Ha ha - All gypsies are called Smith and I must be one because only a gypsy would stick up for gypsies right !
Ha ha - All gypsies are called Smith and I must be one because only a gypsy would stick up for gypsies right ! Temburong
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree