Save on the buses, not the green bins

First published in Letters by

THE Labour Party’s intention possibly to introduce a garden waste collection tax in York is a punishment too far, particularly for the poorest.

Annual figures of £26 to £80 are bandied about. Assuming a middle figure of £50, this would mean almost a ten per cent increase for average taxpayers since Labour were elected in 2011.

James Alexander is adept at political spin, so he will recognise a potential elephant trap when he sees one. Let me to come to his rescue by suggesting an alternative method of raising revenue.

In York, under First’s virtual monopoly and with council connivance, there is a system of public transport apartheid.

Most resources are poured into the council’s Park&Ride services, operated by clean, comfortable, frequent, air-conditioned and well-heated fleets of modern buses.

The majority of First’s normal service fleet are not of such a high standard. It is therefore appalling that on these buses, mainly used by lower income groups, fares are 40 per cent higher than on Park&Ride.

The majority of Park&Ride users are by definition more affluent and mostly travelling for occasional leisure purposes from outside York.

I suggest that the service will still be a bargain if fares are increased from £2.60 to £3.50 and from 60p to £1 for bus-pass holders.

Richard Clark, Manor Park, York.
 

• THE PROPOSAL to maybe start charging extra for green bin rubbish collection has to be opposed (The Press, January 17).

The principle of council tax bills is that residents pay for a comprehensive service available to all. Where would this extra charging end once it had started?

On the same basis, would taxpayers who have no children at school get a rebate for a service they don’t use?

Would low-crime areas get a rebate from the police precept? Of course not, otherwise the fairest way would be for each household to have an individual bill for just the services they receive.

The same article said that recycling rates were 90 per cent in affluent areas but as low as 20 to 25 per cent in some other areas.

What has affluence to do with recycling, unless you can afford a butler to do the job for you? It is about having a bit of pride, not inertia.

Geoff Robb, Hunters Close, Dunnington.


• Time has moved on, Mr Whitehead (Letters, January 4) from 20 years ago, in spite of you fighting to get these public holidays off work.

It is fortunate for us all that workers in the water and power industries, the police, medics and many other workers do not see it your way.

Just think again of all the additional employment created in these areas and the retail trade and by treating public holidays as “business as usual”.

The operations manager of First has said (The Press, January 4) “more people travel to work by bus than all forms of public transport combined and simply underlines how important the bus industry is to the future of local economies...”

My concern is for the people of York to have the facilities to get about during public holidays whatever their reason, be it work or leisure.

So once again I implore, in particular, City of York Council to get together with First Bus and address this issue.

If you have issues, Mr Whitehead, with bus timekeeping and the traffic system may I suggest you direct them to the appropriate authority and not cloud the issue of bus transport on public holidays.

Gerald Haughton, Strensall, York.

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:06pm Mon 21 Jan 13

yorkshirelad says...

If you have the means to cut all your green waste and put it in a bin....

If you have a garden big enough to produce all the green waste in the first place...

...What stops you from composting it? It's not much more than simply piling it up in a heal and letting nature do it's magic.

Aren't we just getting a teeny-weeny bit spoilt here?

The first letter writer sounds politically motivated...but hang on a second. Who's cutting the budgets to local authorities? And making sure that the cuts fall heaviest in the North of England?

Its a thankless task having to provide local services in the current climate...everyone is having to cut back. Frankly leaving your green waste to compost down is not the end of the world as we know it (or paying a reasonable fee if you'd like a lorry to come and collect it for you).
If you have the means to cut all your green waste and put it in a bin.... If you have a garden big enough to produce all the green waste in the first place... ...What stops you from composting it? It's not much more than simply piling it up in a heal and letting nature do it's magic. Aren't we just getting a teeny-weeny bit spoilt here? The first letter writer sounds politically motivated...but hang on a second. Who's cutting the budgets to local authorities? And making sure that the cuts fall heaviest in the North of England? Its a thankless task having to provide local services in the current climate...everyone is having to cut back. Frankly leaving your green waste to compost down is not the end of the world as we know it (or paying a reasonable fee if you'd like a lorry to come and collect it for you). yorkshirelad
  • Score: 0

1:42pm Mon 21 Jan 13

ak7274 says...

We already pay a fee. It's called Council Tax.

I pay for them because it is part of the social system and so does every council tax payer. Why charge more for some thing which is also part of the social system? ie paid by all in one bill.

The only fair way is to put up Council Tax, or give a rebate to net contributors. Whoops that can't work because it won't be deemed as fair to the less fortunate.
We already pay a fee. It's called Council Tax. I pay for them because it is part of the social system and so does every council tax payer. Why charge more for some thing which is also part of the social system? ie paid by all in one bill. The only fair way is to put up Council Tax, or give a rebate to net contributors. Whoops that can't work because it won't be deemed as fair to the less fortunate. ak7274
  • Score: 0

1:59pm Mon 21 Jan 13

JB1980 says...

Re Bus fares - Richard

Days travelling to work 233 a year (taking into account 2 days off a week and 28 days holiday a year)

So... Currently my P&R @ £2.60 a day is £605.80 a year.

Under your proposed idea of £3.50 this would cost me £815.50 a year??

That's £200+ additional cost a year, your proposal is idiotic!

Remember the commuters that use the P&R service which reduces traffic going into the city (even though potential parking costs are insane)

Also the P&R provides a fantastic service to tourists, and without them York may as well close its doors & your council tax would soon shoot up.

In a nut shell... A low cost P&R service in York is vital and is a major contributor to the city's survival.
Re Bus fares - Richard Days travelling to work 233 a year (taking into account 2 days off a week and 28 days holiday a year) So... Currently my P&R @ £2.60 a day is £605.80 a year. Under your proposed idea of £3.50 this would cost me £815.50 a year?? That's £200+ additional cost a year, your proposal is idiotic! Remember the commuters that use the P&R service which reduces traffic going into the city (even though potential parking costs are insane) Also the P&R provides a fantastic service to tourists, and without them York may as well close its doors & your council tax would soon shoot up. In a nut shell... A low cost P&R service in York is vital and is a major contributor to the city's survival. JB1980
  • Score: 0

2:16pm Mon 21 Jan 13

pedalling paul says...

From 2008......


UK Transport company First Group have signed a deal worth £25million with York City Council, to run a more energy efficient Park and Ride service for the City.

The contract which will be effective from February 2009 will see a new fleet of 32 environmentally friendly buses operating in York, in a bid to reduce pollution and car dependence in the historic city centre.

York City Council hope that the move will be seen as a flagship for local authorities across the UK, if it beats car congestion.

Capital programme manager at the council, Tony Clarke, said: ‘The scheme will reduce the number of cars congesting the city centre and improve air quality at key locations.’

The contract with First Group has been set up through law firm Dickinson Dees will run for five years and is considered by the lawyers to be a ‘future proof’ contract.

So perhaps there is a binding contract with First re the P&R services, whereas other First routes are at that company's commercial behest.

Over to the experts.
From 2008...... UK Transport company First Group have signed a deal worth £25million with York City Council, to run a more energy efficient Park and Ride service for the City. The contract which will be effective from February 2009 will see a new fleet of 32 environmentally friendly buses operating in York, in a bid to reduce pollution and car dependence in the historic city centre. York City Council hope that the move will be seen as a flagship for local authorities across the UK, if it beats car congestion. Capital programme manager at the council, Tony Clarke, said: ‘The scheme will reduce the number of cars congesting the city centre and improve air quality at key locations.’ The contract with First Group has been set up through law firm Dickinson Dees will run for five years and is considered by the lawyers to be a ‘future proof’ contract. So perhaps there is a binding contract with First re the P&R services, whereas other First routes are at that company's commercial behest. Over to the experts. pedalling paul
  • Score: 0

4:30pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Scarlet Pimpernel says...

WARNING !

Charge for emptying green bins if you dare, Coun Alexander - it will lose your Labour group control of the Council at the next election.

Add it to this list:-

* Union Terrace Car Park - trying to sell it to your Uni mates on the sly, and opposed by 22,000.
* Closing Beckfield Lane Tip - opposed by 6,000
* Hungate Hiscox Deal - selling Council site at knockdown price to a company that paid only £1m tax on £125m profits in their last six-month trading period.
* Lording it up on expenses, in Paris for the TdF announcement, and jetting back the same day to celebrate it in Leeds.
* Blocking the emails of residents on the Councils @york.gov.uk addresses.
* Having comments facility disallowed by the Press on your stories/letters (denying freedom of speech).
* Running the council like a despotic dictatorship; stiffling debate and democracy.

Next: Charging for emptying green wheelie bins ?

The list goes on and on.....
[bold] WARNING ! [/bold] Charge for emptying green bins if you dare, Coun Alexander - it will lose your Labour group control of the Council at the next election. Add it to this list:- * Union Terrace Car Park - trying to sell it to your Uni mates on the sly, and opposed by 22,000. * Closing Beckfield Lane Tip - opposed by 6,000 * Hungate Hiscox Deal - selling Council site at knockdown price to a company that paid only £1m tax on £125m profits in their last six-month trading period. * Lording it up on expenses, in Paris for the TdF announcement, and jetting back the same day to celebrate it in Leeds. * Blocking the emails of residents on the Councils @york.gov.uk addresses. * Having comments facility disallowed by the Press on your stories/letters (denying freedom of speech). * Running the council like a despotic dictatorship; stiffling debate and democracy. Next: Charging for emptying green wheelie bins ? The list goes on and on..... Scarlet Pimpernel
  • Score: 0

5:33pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Mulgrave says...

Terraced properties and smaller flats in York are typically council tax band A or B so pay less council tax than the larger properties with gardens, typically band C upwards. Paying TWICE for the privilege of assisting CoYC meet their recycling objectives regarding green waste? Citizens should be charging them for faffing about putting recyclables in so many different containers.

East Riding has three wheelie bins per house;

1. For landfill
2. Cans,foil, plastic bottles, glass bottles, yoghurt pots, plastic trays, newspaper, envelopes
3 Garden waste, food waste, cardboard

A good, simple system, popular with residents, and as far as I am aware with no plans to charge.
Terraced properties and smaller flats in York are typically council tax band A or B so pay less council tax than the larger properties with gardens, typically band C upwards. Paying TWICE for the privilege of assisting CoYC meet their recycling objectives regarding green waste? Citizens should be charging them for faffing about putting recyclables in so many different containers. East Riding has three wheelie bins per house; 1. For landfill 2. Cans,foil, plastic bottles, glass bottles, yoghurt pots, plastic trays, newspaper, envelopes 3 Garden waste, food waste, cardboard A good, simple system, popular with residents, and as far as I am aware with no plans to charge. Mulgrave
  • Score: 0

5:54pm Mon 21 Jan 13

ColdAsChristmas says...

And don't forget that your Green Councillor, Andy D supported charging for emptying green bins.
He said it live on BBC Radio York, just in case he tries to deny it. Surely not a denier Andy?
And don't forget that your Green Councillor, Andy D supported charging for emptying green bins. He said it live on BBC Radio York, just in case he tries to deny it. Surely not a denier Andy? ColdAsChristmas
  • Score: 0

7:06pm Mon 21 Jan 13

PKH says...

Scarlet Pimpernel wrote:
WARNING !

Charge for emptying green bins if you dare, Coun Alexander - it will lose your Labour group control of the Council at the next election.

Add it to this list:-

* Union Terrace Car Park - trying to sell it to your Uni mates on the sly, and opposed by 22,000.
* Closing Beckfield Lane Tip - opposed by 6,000
* Hungate Hiscox Deal - selling Council site at knockdown price to a company that paid only £1m tax on £125m profits in their last six-month trading period.
* Lording it up on expenses, in Paris for the TdF announcement, and jetting back the same day to celebrate it in Leeds.
* Blocking the emails of residents on the Councils @york.gov.uk addresses.
* Having comments facility disallowed by the Press on your stories/letters (denying freedom of speech).
* Running the council like a despotic dictatorship; stiffling debate and democracy.

Next: Charging for emptying green wheelie bins ?

The list goes on and on.....
Selby DC a Tory council have decided to charge for green bins, yet you are very quiet on that.
[quote][p][bold]Scarlet Pimpernel[/bold] wrote: [bold] WARNING ! [/bold] Charge for emptying green bins if you dare, Coun Alexander - it will lose your Labour group control of the Council at the next election. Add it to this list:- * Union Terrace Car Park - trying to sell it to your Uni mates on the sly, and opposed by 22,000. * Closing Beckfield Lane Tip - opposed by 6,000 * Hungate Hiscox Deal - selling Council site at knockdown price to a company that paid only £1m tax on £125m profits in their last six-month trading period. * Lording it up on expenses, in Paris for the TdF announcement, and jetting back the same day to celebrate it in Leeds. * Blocking the emails of residents on the Councils @york.gov.uk addresses. * Having comments facility disallowed by the Press on your stories/letters (denying freedom of speech). * Running the council like a despotic dictatorship; stiffling debate and democracy. Next: Charging for emptying green wheelie bins ? The list goes on and on.....[/p][/quote]Selby DC a Tory council have decided to charge for green bins, yet you are very quiet on that. PKH
  • Score: 0

7:46pm Mon 21 Jan 13

ak7274 says...

Just because a Tory Council decided to charge doesn't stop anyone from disagreeing does it?

Or are we all supposed to follow our preferred party blindly down every avenue the leaders want to take us?
Just because a Tory Council decided to charge doesn't stop anyone from disagreeing does it? Or are we all supposed to follow our preferred party blindly down every avenue the leaders want to take us? ak7274
  • Score: 0

8:11pm Mon 21 Jan 13

oi oi savaloy says...

Scarlet Pimpernel wrote:
WARNING !

Charge for emptying green bins if you dare, Coun Alexander - it will lose your Labour group control of the Council at the next election.

Add it to this list:-

* Union Terrace Car Park - trying to sell it to your Uni mates on the sly, and opposed by 22,000.
* Closing Beckfield Lane Tip - opposed by 6,000
* Hungate Hiscox Deal - selling Council site at knockdown price to a company that paid only £1m tax on £125m profits in their last six-month trading period.
* Lording it up on expenses, in Paris for the TdF announcement, and jetting back the same day to celebrate it in Leeds.
* Blocking the emails of residents on the Councils @york.gov.uk addresses.
* Having comments facility disallowed by the Press on your stories/letters (denying freedom of speech).
* Running the council like a despotic dictatorship; stiffling debate and democracy.

Next: Charging for emptying green wheelie bins ?

The list goes on and on.....
Basically the labour lot just love taxing people! How on earth do you expect king James to live his luxury lifestyle if we don't stump up for it? Those pizzas are expensive in the kings cross pizza express on a Wednesday night you know!
[quote][p][bold]Scarlet Pimpernel[/bold] wrote: [bold] WARNING ! [/bold] Charge for emptying green bins if you dare, Coun Alexander - it will lose your Labour group control of the Council at the next election. Add it to this list:- * Union Terrace Car Park - trying to sell it to your Uni mates on the sly, and opposed by 22,000. * Closing Beckfield Lane Tip - opposed by 6,000 * Hungate Hiscox Deal - selling Council site at knockdown price to a company that paid only £1m tax on £125m profits in their last six-month trading period. * Lording it up on expenses, in Paris for the TdF announcement, and jetting back the same day to celebrate it in Leeds. * Blocking the emails of residents on the Councils @york.gov.uk addresses. * Having comments facility disallowed by the Press on your stories/letters (denying freedom of speech). * Running the council like a despotic dictatorship; stiffling debate and democracy. Next: Charging for emptying green wheelie bins ? The list goes on and on.....[/p][/quote]Basically the labour lot just love taxing people! How on earth do you expect king James to live his luxury lifestyle if we don't stump up for it? Those pizzas are expensive in the kings cross pizza express on a Wednesday night you know! oi oi savaloy
  • Score: 0

9:44pm Mon 21 Jan 13

PKH says...

ak7274 wrote:
Just because a Tory Council decided to charge doesn't stop anyone from disagreeing does it?

Or are we all supposed to follow our preferred party blindly down every avenue the leaders want to take us?
No it does not but Scarlet Pimpernel is only complaining about a Labour council considering it, if he is so against the principal, which I am by the way, he should be directing his venom at ALL councils considering/bring in it in.
[quote][p][bold]ak7274[/bold] wrote: Just because a Tory Council decided to charge doesn't stop anyone from disagreeing does it? Or are we all supposed to follow our preferred party blindly down every avenue the leaders want to take us?[/p][/quote]No it does not but Scarlet Pimpernel is only complaining about a Labour council considering it, if he is so against the principal, which I am by the way, he should be directing his venom at ALL councils considering/bring in it in. PKH
  • Score: 0

10:29pm Mon 21 Jan 13

wildthing666 says...

Why are York residents separating their waste into 3 separate green bins, when all 3 are emptied into the same large refuse lorry?
Why are York residents separating their waste into 3 separate green bins, when all 3 are emptied into the same large refuse lorry? wildthing666
  • Score: 0

1:02am Tue 22 Jan 13

Scarlet Pimpernel says...

PKH wrote:
ak7274 wrote: Just because a Tory Council decided to charge doesn't stop anyone from disagreeing does it? Or are we all supposed to follow our preferred party blindly down every avenue the leaders want to take us?
No it does not but Scarlet Pimpernel is only complaining about a Labour council considering it, if he is so against the principal, which I am by the way, he should be directing his venom at ALL councils considering/bring in it in.
Read the list - it's not just charging for green bins that York's Labour-run Council will be guilty of, if they do this. They are a complete disaster.
[quote][p][bold]PKH[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ak7274[/bold] wrote: Just because a Tory Council decided to charge doesn't stop anyone from disagreeing does it? Or are we all supposed to follow our preferred party blindly down every avenue the leaders want to take us?[/p][/quote]No it does not but Scarlet Pimpernel is only complaining about a Labour council considering it, if he is so against the principal, which I am by the way, he should be directing his venom at ALL councils considering/bring in it in.[/p][/quote]Read the list - it's not just charging for green bins that York's Labour-run Council will be guilty of, if they do this. They are a complete disaster. Scarlet Pimpernel
  • Score: 0

7:48pm Tue 22 Jan 13

PKH says...

Scarlet Pimpernel wrote:
PKH wrote:
ak7274 wrote: Just because a Tory Council decided to charge doesn't stop anyone from disagreeing does it? Or are we all supposed to follow our preferred party blindly down every avenue the leaders want to take us?
No it does not but Scarlet Pimpernel is only complaining about a Labour council considering it, if he is so against the principal, which I am by the way, he should be directing his venom at ALL councils considering/bring in it in.
Read the list - it's not just charging for green bins that York's Labour-run Council will be guilty of, if they do this. They are a complete disaster.
York's current council are far from perfect, in fact I believe they are no better or worse than the previous LibDem Tory propped up council. Aka Hungate fiasco, Barbican, FTR etc.
[quote][p][bold]Scarlet Pimpernel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]PKH[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ak7274[/bold] wrote: Just because a Tory Council decided to charge doesn't stop anyone from disagreeing does it? Or are we all supposed to follow our preferred party blindly down every avenue the leaders want to take us?[/p][/quote]No it does not but Scarlet Pimpernel is only complaining about a Labour council considering it, if he is so against the principal, which I am by the way, he should be directing his venom at ALL councils considering/bring in it in.[/p][/quote]Read the list - it's not just charging for green bins that York's Labour-run Council will be guilty of, if they do this. They are a complete disaster.[/p][/quote]York's current council are far from perfect, in fact I believe they are no better or worse than the previous LibDem Tory propped up council. Aka Hungate fiasco, Barbican, FTR etc. PKH
  • Score: 0

11:53am Wed 23 Jan 13

ColdAsChristmas says...

So, how about an Independent majority Council. Can't be any worse, surely not?
Just think, the ability to do the right thing, rather than follow party lines!
So, how about an Independent majority Council. Can't be any worse, surely not? Just think, the ability to do the right thing, rather than follow party lines! ColdAsChristmas
  • Score: 0

10:50pm Tue 19 Feb 13

bicky98 says...

JB1980 wrote:
Re Bus fares - Richard

Days travelling to work 233 a year (taking into account 2 days off a week and 28 days holiday a year)

So... Currently my P&R @ £2.60 a day is £605.80 a year.

Under your proposed idea of £3.50 this would cost me £815.50 a year??

That's £200+ additional cost a year, your proposal is idiotic!

Remember the commuters that use the P&R service which reduces traffic going into the city (even though potential parking costs are insane)

Also the P&R provides a fantastic service to tourists, and without them York may as well close its doors & your council tax would soon shoot up.

In a nut shell... A low cost P&R service in York is vital and is a major contributor to the city's survival.
what about the UNI Fares 1.50 single to York and 2.00 Return and they is a bus like nearly every 3-5 Mins and down heslington road it is 1.00 to York single and very frequent the rest of use have a poor service especially in Osbaldwick on the 6 the 20 is a Very good Service by Transdev but the 6 seems to be getting reduced passengers
[quote][p][bold]JB1980[/bold] wrote: Re Bus fares - Richard Days travelling to work 233 a year (taking into account 2 days off a week and 28 days holiday a year) So... Currently my P&R @ £2.60 a day is £605.80 a year. Under your proposed idea of £3.50 this would cost me £815.50 a year?? That's £200+ additional cost a year, your proposal is idiotic! Remember the commuters that use the P&R service which reduces traffic going into the city (even though potential parking costs are insane) Also the P&R provides a fantastic service to tourists, and without them York may as well close its doors & your council tax would soon shoot up. In a nut shell... A low cost P&R service in York is vital and is a major contributor to the city's survival.[/p][/quote]what about the UNI Fares 1.50 single to York and 2.00 Return and they is a bus like nearly every 3-5 Mins and down heslington road it is 1.00 to York single and very frequent the rest of use have a poor service especially in Osbaldwick on the 6 the 20 is a Very good Service by Transdev but the 6 seems to be getting reduced passengers bicky98
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree