Social justice or selfish hypocrisy?

Published in Letters by

I WOULD like to hear the views of all York Labour councillors and others who say they are Socialists on the issue of Arthur Scargill and the dispute with his former employers.

The former NUM president enjoys a comfortable retirement with a substantial Barnsley home, pension, car and generous perks.

Yet on top of this he expects the dwindling number of “comrades” in his Trade Union to have their subscriptions used to pay £33,000 annual rent for Mr Scargill to enjoy (for life) free exclusive use of a London Barbican flat in a capital city where there is an affordable housing crisis worse than in York.

Is this what social justice looks like? Or is this a disgraceful display of selfish hypocrisy?

We would all like to know.

Matthew Laverack, Lord Mayor’s Walk, York.

Comments (17)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:35pm Fri 28 Dec 12

yorkshirelad says...

Would we?

Wasn't this a technical legal dispute about contract?

Isn't it up to the NUM to decide the contract terms of it's leader (and then up to lawyers to thrash it out if these are disputed) ?

A rather weak attempt to link this rather techie story to local party politics.
Would we? Wasn't this a technical legal dispute about contract? Isn't it up to the NUM to decide the contract terms of it's leader (and then up to lawyers to thrash it out if these are disputed) ? A rather weak attempt to link this rather techie story to local party politics. yorkshirelad
  • Score: 0

6:50pm Fri 28 Dec 12

fulfordphilosopher says...

I would say it is a display of selfish hypocrisy. It everywhere these days, like when multi millionaire
Government ministers tell us "we are all in it together". Selfish hypocrisy
has no political boundaries
I would say it is a display of selfish hypocrisy. It everywhere these days, like when multi millionaire Government ministers tell us "we are all in it together". Selfish hypocrisy has no political boundaries fulfordphilosopher
  • Score: 0

6:51pm Fri 28 Dec 12

fulfordphilosopher says...

I would say it is a display of selfish hypocrisy. It everywhere these days, like when multi millionaire
Government ministers tell us "we are all in it together". Selfish hypocrisy
has no political boundaries
I would say it is a display of selfish hypocrisy. It everywhere these days, like when multi millionaire Government ministers tell us "we are all in it together". Selfish hypocrisy has no political boundaries fulfordphilosopher
  • Score: 0

9:03pm Fri 28 Dec 12

Buzz Light-year says...

I WOULD like to hear the views of all York Labour councillors and others ... We would all like to know.


Answers on a postcard please.
Nine bottles of champagne for the best offering.
[quote]I WOULD like to hear the views of all York Labour councillors and others ... We would all like to know.[/quote] Answers on a postcard please. Nine bottles of champagne for the best offering. Buzz Light-year
  • Score: 0

9:14pm Fri 28 Dec 12

capt spaulding says...

Buzz Light-year wrote:
I WOULD like to hear the views of all York Labour councillors and others ... We would all like to know.


Answers on a postcard please.
Nine bottles of champagne for the best offering.
Buzz theres only 8 cos I nicked one at a landlord bash. Sorry mate
[quote][p][bold]Buzz Light-year[/bold] wrote: [quote]I WOULD like to hear the views of all York Labour councillors and others ... We would all like to know.[/quote] Answers on a postcard please. Nine bottles of champagne for the best offering.[/p][/quote]Buzz theres only 8 cos I nicked one at a landlord bash. Sorry mate capt spaulding
  • Score: 0

10:38pm Fri 28 Dec 12

pedalling paul says...

After the Miners strike had ended, I spotted some graffiti on a wall in the by then former pit village of South Kirby. It read "With friends like Scargill, who needs enemies"
After the Miners strike had ended, I spotted some graffiti on a wall in the by then former pit village of South Kirby. It read "With friends like Scargill, who needs enemies" pedalling paul
  • Score: 0

1:09am Sat 29 Dec 12

Silver says...

capt spaulding wrote:
Buzz Light-year wrote:
I WOULD like to hear the views of all York Labour councillors and others ... We would all like to know.


Answers on a postcard please.
Nine bottles of champagne for the best offering.
Buzz theres only 8 cos I nicked one at a landlord bash. Sorry mate
Also you won't be able to put your opinion on anything involving the labour councillors on this site. Really wish we could have commented on the whole private decisions
http://www.yorkpress
.co.uk/news/10128892
.Council_chiefs_defe
nd_private_decisions
/
As it does seem the opposite of a democracy
[quote][p][bold]capt spaulding[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Buzz Light-year[/bold] wrote: [quote]I WOULD like to hear the views of all York Labour councillors and others ... We would all like to know.[/quote] Answers on a postcard please. Nine bottles of champagne for the best offering.[/p][/quote]Buzz theres only 8 cos I nicked one at a landlord bash. Sorry mate[/p][/quote]Also you won't be able to put your opinion on anything involving the labour councillors on this site. Really wish we could have commented on the whole private decisions http://www.yorkpress .co.uk/news/10128892 .Council_chiefs_defe nd_private_decisions / As it does seem the opposite of a democracy Silver
  • Score: 0

8:18am Sat 29 Dec 12

CynicaloldGit says...

But what has it got to do with the Labour Party?

Scargill wasn't even a member and even stood against Labour with his democratic labour party.

He was as much against Nu Labour as our resident right winghers on here.

There hasn't been a real Labour party since the death of John Smith. so why does the letter writer try to make political mischief from a dispute between the NUM and yon Scargill.

Now, if the letter writer wanted to ask how all the party councillors felt about the ongoing expenses issue in Westminster, then I suspect we'd get some very interesting comments on here
But what has it got to do with the Labour Party? Scargill wasn't even a member and even stood against Labour with his democratic labour party. He was as much against Nu Labour as our resident right winghers on here. There hasn't been a real Labour party since the death of John Smith. so why does the letter writer try to make political mischief from a dispute between the NUM and yon Scargill. Now, if the letter writer wanted to ask how all the party councillors felt about the ongoing expenses issue in Westminster, then I suspect we'd get some very interesting comments on here CynicaloldGit
  • Score: 0

9:54am Sat 29 Dec 12

perplexed says...

Matthew Laverack's letter is unintelligible and truly worthy of the drivel we have come to expect from Conservative Central Office! If this is the level of political debate we have to look forward to in 2013, we really are deeper in the mire than I thought.

I have little or no time for our present Council but if this contrived nonsense is the best Matthew Laverack can come up with, ironically he may well end up being their best secret weapon!
Matthew Laverack's letter is unintelligible and truly worthy of the drivel we have come to expect from Conservative Central Office! If this is the level of political debate we have to look forward to in 2013, we really are deeper in the mire than I thought. I have little or no time for our present Council but if this contrived nonsense is the best Matthew Laverack can come up with, ironically he may well end up being their best secret weapon! perplexed
  • Score: 0

10:42am Sat 29 Dec 12

capt spaulding says...

Silver wrote:
capt spaulding wrote:
Buzz Light-year wrote:
I WOULD like to hear the views of all York Labour councillors and others ... We would all like to know.


Answers on a postcard please.
Nine bottles of champagne for the best offering.
Buzz theres only 8 cos I nicked one at a landlord bash. Sorry mate
Also you won't be able to put your opinion on anything involving the labour councillors on this site. Really wish we could have commented on the whole private decisions
http://www.yorkpress

.co.uk/news/10128892

.Council_chiefs_defe

nd_private_decisions

/
As it does seem the opposite of a democracy
Democracy ? York City Council ?
Its an alien concept.
But come the day of the ballot box !
[quote][p][bold]Silver[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]capt spaulding[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Buzz Light-year[/bold] wrote: [quote]I WOULD like to hear the views of all York Labour councillors and others ... We would all like to know.[/quote] Answers on a postcard please. Nine bottles of champagne for the best offering.[/p][/quote]Buzz theres only 8 cos I nicked one at a landlord bash. Sorry mate[/p][/quote]Also you won't be able to put your opinion on anything involving the labour councillors on this site. Really wish we could have commented on the whole private decisions http://www.yorkpress .co.uk/news/10128892 .Council_chiefs_defe nd_private_decisions / As it does seem the opposite of a democracy[/p][/quote]Democracy ? York City Council ? Its an alien concept. But come the day of the ballot box ! capt spaulding
  • Score: 0

1:52pm Sat 29 Dec 12

ak7274 says...

Come the day of the ballot box? HO HO HO.

We will get the same old same old we always get with very few exceptions that marginally alter the demographics.

People vote as they always have, because they are either fiercely loyal to a party or because they are too apathetic about the political process.
Come the day of the ballot box? HO HO HO. We will get the same old same old we always get with very few exceptions that marginally alter the demographics. People vote as they always have, because they are either fiercely loyal to a party or because they are too apathetic about the political process. ak7274
  • Score: 0

2:07pm Sat 29 Dec 12

Buzz Light-year says...

capt spaulding wrote:
Buzz Light-year wrote:
I WOULD like to hear the views of all York Labour councillors and others ... We would all like to know.
Answers on a postcard please. Nine bottles of champagne for the best offering.
Buzz theres only 8 cos I nicked one at a landlord bash. Sorry mate
As if the pub industry doesn't have enough to cope with already without having to suffer the irony of building lobbyists going round beating up publicans with expensive booze bottles.

Should you really be owning up to that in public captain?
[quote][p][bold]capt spaulding[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Buzz Light-year[/bold] wrote: [quote]I WOULD like to hear the views of all York Labour councillors and others ... We would all like to know.[/quote] Answers on a postcard please. Nine bottles of champagne for the best offering.[/p][/quote]Buzz theres only 8 cos I nicked one at a landlord bash. Sorry mate[/p][/quote]As if the pub industry doesn't have enough to cope with already without having to suffer the irony of building lobbyists going round beating up publicans with expensive booze bottles. Should you really be owning up to that in public captain? Buzz Light-year
  • Score: 0

2:16pm Sat 29 Dec 12

capt spaulding says...

Was that you Buzz beating up the publican ? I remember that. I think they had Double diamond on draught ?
Ah well happy days.

Hmm Landlord bash ? I had a gathering of housing landlords more to mind, but hey you have stirred a memory or two, I think we alternated from the Cow to the cats whiskers. But that was probably monday night. Rialto now , how sad.
Was that you Buzz beating up the publican ? I remember that. I think they had Double diamond on draught ? Ah well happy days. Hmm Landlord bash ? I had a gathering of housing landlords more to mind, but hey you have stirred a memory or two, I think we alternated from the Cow to the cats whiskers. But that was probably monday night. Rialto now , how sad. capt spaulding
  • Score: 0

2:17pm Sat 29 Dec 12

capt spaulding says...

ak7274 wrote:
Come the day of the ballot box? HO HO HO.

We will get the same old same old we always get with very few exceptions that marginally alter the demographics.

People vote as they always have, because they are either fiercely loyal to a party or because they are too apathetic about the political process.
Sadly I think your right.
[quote][p][bold]ak7274[/bold] wrote: Come the day of the ballot box? HO HO HO. We will get the same old same old we always get with very few exceptions that marginally alter the demographics. People vote as they always have, because they are either fiercely loyal to a party or because they are too apathetic about the political process.[/p][/quote]Sadly I think your right. capt spaulding
  • Score: 0

12:50pm Sun 30 Dec 12

Scarlet Pimpernel says...

CynicaloldGit wrote:
But what has it got to do with the Labour Party? Scargill wasn't even a member and even stood against Labour with his democratic labour party. He was as much against Nu Labour as our resident right winghers on here. There hasn't been a real Labour party since the death of John Smith. so why does the letter writer try to make political mischief from a dispute between the NUM and yon Scargill. Now, if the letter writer wanted to ask how all the party councillors felt about the ongoing expenses issue in Westminster, then I suspect we'd get some very interesting comments on here
All peas in a pod, despite you pleading otherwise.
[quote][p][bold]CynicaloldGit[/bold] wrote: But what has it got to do with the Labour Party? Scargill wasn't even a member and even stood against Labour with his democratic labour party. He was as much against Nu Labour as our resident right winghers on here. There hasn't been a real Labour party since the death of John Smith. so why does the letter writer try to make political mischief from a dispute between the NUM and yon Scargill. Now, if the letter writer wanted to ask how all the party councillors felt about the ongoing expenses issue in Westminster, then I suspect we'd get some very interesting comments on here[/p][/quote]All peas in a pod, despite you pleading otherwise. Scarlet Pimpernel
  • Score: 0

10:47pm Sun 30 Dec 12

Silver says...

capt spaulding wrote:
ak7274 wrote:
Come the day of the ballot box? HO HO HO.

We will get the same old same old we always get with very few exceptions that marginally alter the demographics.

People vote as they always have, because they are either fiercely loyal to a party or because they are too apathetic about the political process.
Sadly I think your right.
duci novo, similis duci seneci
[quote][p][bold]capt spaulding[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ak7274[/bold] wrote: Come the day of the ballot box? HO HO HO. We will get the same old same old we always get with very few exceptions that marginally alter the demographics. People vote as they always have, because they are either fiercely loyal to a party or because they are too apathetic about the political process.[/p][/quote]Sadly I think your right.[/p][/quote]duci novo, similis duci seneci Silver
  • Score: 0

4:52pm Mon 31 Dec 12

CynicaloldGit says...

Scarlet Pimpernel wrote:
CynicaloldGit wrote:
But what has it got to do with the Labour Party? Scargill wasn't even a member and even stood against Labour with his democratic labour party. He was as much against Nu Labour as our resident right winghers on here. There hasn't been a real Labour party since the death of John Smith. so why does the letter writer try to make political mischief from a dispute between the NUM and yon Scargill. Now, if the letter writer wanted to ask how all the party councillors felt about the ongoing expenses issue in Westminster, then I suspect we'd get some very interesting comments on here
All peas in a pod, despite you pleading otherwise.
I'm not pleading anything, I detest ALL politicians, I've yet to find one who can even lie straight in be.
However, I also hate people who seek to use any and every oppotuninty to divide and conquer.
As I've stated on many occasions here and elsewhere, why do people think Labout was socialist.
The reason therewas a hung parliament was because no one could tell the difference.
Scargill was thrown out of the Labour party, as was another man I despise, G Galloway..........bu
t they were thrown out because they had the temerity to say what I have just said...Labout was not socialist, had nothing to do with Scargill, so why try to imply that they did. Scargill deserved to loose his fight with his Union, but that had nothing to do with Labour or the supreme soviet or the Chinese communist party, it was a union matter and that is fact.
[quote][p][bold]Scarlet Pimpernel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CynicaloldGit[/bold] wrote: But what has it got to do with the Labour Party? Scargill wasn't even a member and even stood against Labour with his democratic labour party. He was as much against Nu Labour as our resident right winghers on here. There hasn't been a real Labour party since the death of John Smith. so why does the letter writer try to make political mischief from a dispute between the NUM and yon Scargill. Now, if the letter writer wanted to ask how all the party councillors felt about the ongoing expenses issue in Westminster, then I suspect we'd get some very interesting comments on here[/p][/quote]All peas in a pod, despite you pleading otherwise.[/p][/quote]I'm not pleading anything, I detest ALL politicians, I've yet to find one who can even lie straight in be. However, I also hate people who seek to use any and every oppotuninty to divide and conquer. As I've stated on many occasions here and elsewhere, why do people think Labout was socialist. The reason therewas a hung parliament was because no one could tell the difference. Scargill was thrown out of the Labour party, as was another man I despise, G Galloway..........bu t they were thrown out because they had the temerity to say what I have just said...Labout was not socialist, had nothing to do with Scargill, so why try to imply that they did. Scargill deserved to loose his fight with his Union, but that had nothing to do with Labour or the supreme soviet or the Chinese communist party, it was a union matter and that is fact. CynicaloldGit
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree